ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 pm

You may want to try x11vnc, because it mirrors an active x11 session, instead of creating a new one.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:40 pm

dstair wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 pm
sudo nano /usr/bin/vncserver
Generally I'm not a big fan of editing system files.
This file comes from a Debian package and will be overwritten in case there is an update, so all your changes will be gone.
If you really want to edit this file (although I wouldn't know why) you should copy it to /usr/local/bin and edit it there.
dstair wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Code: Select all

#First set the config such that the display shows correctly change this line

$geometry = "resolution 1920 x 1080"

#Find this line

$defaultXStartup

# -->Edit as follows

= ("!bin/sh\n\n".
     "#Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:\n".
     " unset SESSION_MANAGER\n".
     " exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc\n\n".
     "gnome-panel &\n".
     "gnome-settings-daemon &\n".
     "metacity &\n".
     "nautilis &\n".
     "gnome-terminal &\n".
     "[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup\n".
     "[ -r \$HOME/.Xresources ] && xxrdb \$HOME/.Xresources\n".
     "xsetroot -solid grey\n".
     "vncconfig -iconic &\n".
     "x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title \"\$VNCDESKTOP Desktop\" &\n".
     "x-window-manager &\n");
As you can see here there are two things that get imported here: /etc/vnc/xstartup and $HOME/.Xresources this is where you normally make your changes instead of inside this file directly.
as @mad_ady said there are probably better alternatives, as creating a new Independent X session, cause if you want to help your kids, you see something completely different from what they see.
I personally prefer vino as a VNC server, but there are other alternatives as well.

There are several items in the script above I don't know if they will work.
You're starting gnome-panel, gnome-settings-daemon, metacity, nautilus and gnome-terminal
gnome-panel does not exist on this image, metacity is also not installed and probably used as your session manager so it probably won't show anything at all and gnome-terminal is also not available.
Therefore I highly doubt this setting will work.
You probably copied a guide for Ubuntu or something where gnome3 is the default desktop, but that is not the case for ODROIDs.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

SwaggyShane
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by SwaggyShane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:38 am

Fairly new to this. I tried to update kodi via kodi-next-odroid and came up with this:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cec-utils : Depends: libp8-platform2v4 (>= 1.0.10) but it is not going to be installed
kodi-next-odroid : Depends: libtag1v5-vanilla-odroid but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libtinyxml2.6.2v5 but it is not going to be installed
Conflicts: kodi-odroid
libcec3v4 : Depends: libp8-platform2v4 (>= 1.0.10) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 am

how did you install the kodi-next-odroid package?
Did you use the "-t jessie" parameter as described in the post?

apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

SwaggyShane

Unread post by SwaggyShane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:13 am

meveric wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 am
how did you install the kodi-next-odroid package?
Did you use the "-t jessie" parameter as described in the post?

Yes.
I also started fresh, and did update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade previous.

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
Building dependency tree       
 cec-utils : Depends: libp8-platform2v4 (>= 1.0.10) but it is not going to be installed
 kodi-next-odroid : Depends: libtag1v5-vanilla-odroid but it is not going to be installed
 libcec3v4 : Depends: libp8-platform2v4 (>= 1.0.10) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution.)

dstair
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, HC2, MC1

Unread post by dstair » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:00 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 pm
You may want to try x11vnc, because it mirrors an active x11 session, instead of creating a new one.
Thanks for the reply mad_ady. I got it working both ways. I think I will go with the x11vnc because it is the mirror and exactly what I wanted. Here is what I did using this weblink

https://askubuntu.com/questions/229989/ ... gin-screen

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install x11vnc

x11vnc -storepasswd

Enter VNC password: *********
Verify password: *********
Write password to /home/<user>/.vnc/passwd? [y]/n y
Password written to: /home/<user>/.vnc/passwd

x11vnc -usepw

At this point I tried logging into the xu4 gamestation and was successful. Do I need to run the following command as per the instructions since I already have the mirror started?

sudo x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -usepw

Will the server only run if I have a command window running or should I be able to setu this up to run at startup?

It looks like I should be able to add a startup service to systemd as follows

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service

[Unit]
Description="x11vnc"
Requires=display-manager.service
After=display-manager.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth guess -rfbauth /home/<user>/.vnc/passwd

ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall x11vnc
Restart=on-failure
Restart-sec=2

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

#restart new services and enable on boot
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start x11vnc
sudo systemctl enable x11vnc

I tried it and it works, do you see any issues in doing so?
Last edited by dstair on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crooked
ODROIDs: u3

Unread post by crooked » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 am

so, if anyone recalls the issues i had in page 34/35.

the unstable nature of this build is due to samba. i dont know why or how, but when i setup the image/ssd/etc as soon as i start using samba things go bad.

wouldnt even know where to start on this issue.

is there an alternative to samba that my windows pc can access maybe? (id rather not scp movies over, something more user friendly)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 pm

SwaggyShane wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:13 am

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
Building dependency tree       
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution.)
This doesn't look like a fresh install.
cec-utils and libcec3v4 are not requirements of kodi-next-odroid.
So they couldn't prevent the system to install.
It looks like you tried to install cec-utils or something else before you tried to install kodi-next-odroid, and now that is blocking your Kodi installation.

If I run the command apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid it looks a lot different.
Especially the part with You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these: shows there was something "broken" before you tried to install kodi.

This is how it looks when I try to install kodi-next-odroid:

root@gamestation-turbo:~# apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid 
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
Die folgenden zusätzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
  libtag1v5-vanilla-odroid libtinyxml2.6.2v5
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
  kodi-odroid libtinyxml2.6.2
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
  kodi-next-odroid libtag1v5-vanilla-odroid libtinyxml2.6.2v5
0 aktualisiert, 3 neu installiert, 2 zu entfernen und 21 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen 35,3 MB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
Nach dieser Operation werden 6.402 kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren? [J/n]
There is no error, no cec-utils and so on. It simply changes the version of libtinyxml and installs libtag1v5-vanilla-odroid before it installs kodi-next-odroid.
None of these packages is related to the error you see above.

My guess you tried to install cec-utils, which caused an issues.
What happens if you run the "suggested":
apt-get -f install

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:31 pm

crooked wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 am
is there an alternative to samba that my windows pc can access maybe? (id rather not scp movies over, something more user friendly)
WinSCP is a very easy to use SCP client for Windows, especially through the commander mode (look) it can be used rather quick to copy files and folder from one system to another, although I think it also supports a "explorer" like mode where you can drag and drop files into.

To be honest, I've never used samba on the image, so I wonder why it causes that much issues.

Normally you should be able to install mate-user-share
This uses webdav or even ftp to share files and folders, something that Windows does as well, and something that can be mounted under windows like a samba shared folder.
Your /home/odroid/Public folder should be used as a share for this and you can mount other folder in there to share them.
But I haven't tried or used this yet.

SwaggyShane

Unread post by SwaggyShane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:57 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 pm
This doesn't look like a fresh install.
cec-utils and libcec3v4 are not requirements of kodi-next-odroid.
So they couldn't prevent the system to install.
It looks like you tried to install cec-utils or something else before you tried to install kodi-next-odroid, and now that is blocking your Kodi installation.
I used etcher to place ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.6-20180619-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img on a Samsung Evo 64gb card. When it was complete, I placed it in the Odroid XU4 and expanded it. I opened the terminal, and ran:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove
When that was complete, I ran:

I have just reflashed the card, and I am going to go through the process again. (this will be the third time) I will document everything through the process. If there is something I have done wrong in the above process, please let me know. As far as I can tell the steps I have taken have been as they were documented.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:02 am

The above process looks fine.
Yes, please document the steps, I'd like to know what could cause this.
The packages related to kodi haven't been touched in a while. But maybe something else did change that I'm not aware of and it would be helpful to see the different steps that lead to this issue.

SwaggyShane

Unread post by SwaggyShane » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:45 am

So upon inspection it looks that the date was going to 2013. It was timing out while trying to contact your repository. I fixed the date, and ran the update with --fix-missing. Everything has updated correctly this time. Thanks for responding.

eflake

Unread post by eflake » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:14 am

How do I fix overscan on a projector? the borders are slightly cut off on all edges

flocke
ODROIDs: XU4Q

Unread post by flocke » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 am

Hi Meveric,

thanks for your great work.

Yesterday, i imported hundreds of roms via the rom collection browser successfully.
I was even able to play them.
But now, after a reboot of OGST, the rom collection browser interface within kodi is not starting anymore.
When i try to start it, nothing opens, no matter if i use mouse, keyboard or gamepad.

Reinstalling the rcb does not solve the problem. :-(

greetings!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 am

eflake wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:14 am
How do I fix overscan on a projector? the borders are slightly cut off on all edges
If your projector has no "Just-Scan" or "Just Fit" or "PC Mode" or something like that then you can't fix it. The board doesn't have an option to fix your projectors overscan issues.
But please check the settings of your projector, most devices have options to fix their own overscan.

Check the picture settings of your projector, see if the aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, etc.) has an option that can fix overscan, or somewhere else in the picture options of your projector.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:11 am

flocke wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 am
Hi Meveric,

thanks for your great work.

Yesterday, i imported hundreds of roms via the rom collection browser successfully.
I was even able to play them.
But now, after a reboot of OGST, the rom collection browser interface within kodi is not starting anymore.
When i try to start it, nothing opens, no matter if i use mouse, keyboard or gamepad.

Reinstalling the rcb does not solve the problem. :-(

greetings!
Hmm this sounds odd.
There are a couple of things you can try:
  1. run kodi from a terminal and check the output on the terminal when you start RCB (not sure if this shows something)
  2. edit /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml change the following line:
    <loglevel hide="false">-1</loglevel> so it looks like this:

<!--    <loglevel hide="false">-1</loglevel> -->
    afterwards you can check /home/odroid/.kodi/temp/kodi.log for errors when you start RCB.

eflake

Unread post by eflake » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:50 am

meveric wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 am
eflake wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:14 am
If your projector has no "Just-Scan" or "Just Fit" or "PC Mode" or something like that then you can't fix it. The board doesn't have an option to fix your projectors overscan issues.
But please check the settings of your projector, most devices have options to fix their own overscan.

Check the picture settings of your projector, see if the aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, etc.) has an option that can fix overscan, or somewhere else in the picture options of your projector.

Thanks, I found 'just scan' and set it to it, but still clips all the way around. was looking into xrandr but unsure how to use it yet.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:08 am

sadly you can't fix overscan with xrandr on the ODROID XU4.

eflake

Unread post by eflake » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am

another question, should the hardwired internet just work? I have a cable running straight in, but it seems I can only connect wirelessly using a usb wireless thingy connecting to my wifi. Sorry to get so technical :P

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:20 am

actually wired connection should work best, even better than WLAN.
The system should request an IP via DHCP from your router and work right away.

eflake

Unread post by eflake » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:31 am

how do I check to see if the ethernet port is working. it's showing:

etho0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500..

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 pm

no carrier usually means the port is unplugged. Can you run:

ethtool eth0
ip addr show eth0
route -n | grep eth0

eflake

Unread post by eflake » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 pm

FIgured out was a bad port on my netgear router. latest firmware updated, reseated plugs, etc. may have to trade up to a better router but thank you for the help.

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Happy New Year all!
Meveric,

I have a question regarding a fresh install of the gamestation turbo on my XU4. I had to reflash my card yesterday and got everything back up and going today. But I noticed the entire system is going super slow. I cannot even watch a simple video on chromium. If I connect to x11vnc there is anywhere from a 1 second to 15 second lag and it gets very pixelated. I believe I moved the file system to my external samsung SSD drive. but it was working sluggish before that even. And was the reason I tried to move it. I created a tmp directory and a swap file just to see if it sped up and to no avail. I have no idea what in the world is causing this to go so slow. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 pm

well, vnc is not made to play and watch videos over, it's for remote controlling to fix things and do some work on it.
It's definitely not for watching movies.
Running VNC also stresses the CPU of the ODROID and overall performance is greatly reduced.
That being said, I'm not using x11vnc, I'm using vino, and I use it to test games every now and then getting about 40FPS over the internet (local performance) and the resulting VNC stream has maybe 20 FPS (hard to say there is no counter).
Using Remmina as a VNC client under linux you can adjust the quality, which is very important, since the highest quality also means that it has much much more data that needs to be transferred.
I normally run it on medium quality which is enough for most things.

Speed wise you should check on the local performance first, checking if it works directly connected to the TV, that way you know if it's an issue with the image itself, or with the VNC you're using.

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Meveric,

Update:
I added the hard drive to the USB and the 4A power supply was not enough to run everything. I looked at one of my HC1 devices and noticed that was a 6A power supply. Plugged in a 6A supply and started working at normal speed again. I also remembered that I upgraded the kernel to 4.9 last year. Sped everything up. I also use real vnc client on my windows 10 laptop and set the screen resolution to auto, much faster, tracks in milliseconds with respect to the actual screen now instead of seconds.

Different issue with Chromium

On another issue, shortly after my discovery, listed above, I opened the Chromium browser and it crashed my computer. This happened 1 other time yesterday so I decided to delete the program and reinstall. After reinstalling it will not open at all. is there something I am missing. I installed 'Chromium-browser-odroid'. This was the only thing I removed so I am a bit confused as to why chromium will not launch after removing and reinstalling.

Fixed Chromium
Chromium does not Launch
remove Chromium

sudo apt-get purge chromium

install the following

sudo apt-get install chromedriver chromium chromium-inspector chromium-l10n

That did the trick

dstair

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4 (Netflix how to?)

Unread post by dstair » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Has anyone actually been able to watch Netflix on Chromium using GS Turbo? I tried the instructions from this link https://project.altservice.com/issues/934 and extracted the 2 files
libwidevinecdm.so
libwidevinecdmadapter.so
but I still could not get Chromium to play a movie. Any suggestions on how to get this to work correctly?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:13 pm

dstair wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 pm
I also remembered that I upgraded the kernel to 4.9 last year. Sped everything up.
Kernel 4.9 hasn't been updated in a very long time. currently only Kernel 3.10 and 4.14 are maintained for ODROIDs.
I have no clue how good 4.9 performs.
One benefit of 4.9 and 4.14 is the support of G2D hardware acceleration, which speed up desktop performance. This could actually be quite beneficial for VNC, but will reduce overall gaming performance quite a bit.
dstair wrote:
Different issue with Chromium

On another issue, shortly after my discovery, listed above, I opened the Chromium browser and it crashed my computer. This happened 1 other time yesterday so I decided to delete the program and reinstall.
Sadly this is a common issue, the XU3/XU4 is not running 100% stable and I experience similar issues when I use Chromium for a while.
dstair wrote:
After reinstalling it will not open at all. is there something I am missing. I installed 'Chromium-browser-odroid'. This was the only thing I removed so I am a bit confused as to why chromium will not launch after removing and reinstalling.
chromium-browser-odroid is no longer used, for several years by now.
This was a package which was required since there was no arm build of Chromium, and I had to build it myself.
The chromium-browser-odroid package was a copy of the Ubuntu version, recompiled for Debian, but only until version 48 of Chromium, starting at version 50 I used the "chromium" package from Debian instead and build this.
So chromium-browser-odroid is surely not what you want.
dstair wrote:
Fixed Chromium
Chromium does not Launch
remove Chromium

sudo apt-get purge chromium
Purging chromium is probably not a good idea, in worst case it removed the config of chromium that is required to use hardware acceleration.
But since I put the configuration in a separate config file you might have been lucky and the config stayed.
Else chromium would be very slow due to missing hardware acceleration.
dstair wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am
Has anyone actually been able to watch Netflix on Chromium using GS Turbo? I tried the instructions from this link https://project.altservice.com/issues/934 and extracted the 2 files
libwidevinecdm.so
libwidevinecdmadapter.so
but I still could not get Chromium to play a movie. Any suggestions on how to get this to work correctly?
I don't think you can just take ANY version of the lib you want, it has to match the version of the Chromium you use.
On this image this is chromium 57 at the moment.

Later versions of Chromium which can be found under Debian Stretch come with their own "chromium-widevine" package which houses libwidevinecdmadapter.so so it could be that they work out of the box without any changes.
Strangely though libwidevinecdm.so is not part of the "chromium-widevine" package although it was also build during creation of Chromium.
I can probably rebuild this package manually to include the second driver as well.
Edit:
fixed the Debian Stretch package for "chromium-widevine" to include both libraries

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

Meveric,

Thank you for all of the help as it is greatly appreciated. Learning a lot :D

Where can I look to see if the chromium config is still there that will provide hardware acceleration?

Quote:

"fixed the Debian Stretch package for "chromium-widevine" to include both libraries"

How do I get this installed with the updated package?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:19 am

dstair wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am
Meveric,

Thank you for all of the help as it is greatly appreciated. Learning a lot :D

Where can I look to see if the chromium config is still there that will provide hardware acceleration?
If you open chrome://gpu/ in your browser and scroll down you should be able to find a table that says driver information.
If the Mali T628 is listed there then it's using the Hardware acceleration.
You should be able to find the config file under /etc/chromium.d/
dstair wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am
Quote:

"fixed the Debian Stretch package for "chromium-widevine" to include both libraries"

How do I get this installed with the updated package?
This is currently only available for Debian Stretch, not Debian Jessie that is used in this image.
You would have to install a new OS to use this: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 am

Meveric wrote:
If you open chrome://gpu/ in your browser and scroll down you should be able to find a table that says driver information.
If the Mali T628 is listed there then it's using the Hardware acceleration.
You should be able to find the config file under /etc/chromium.d/
I do have the driver installed, but it is not showing up on the chrome://gpu page

I checked the location specified, /etc/chromium.d, for the config file and it is not there. How can I grab another copy of the file, or is it as easy as just inserting a new config file? How do you suggest I fix this to add the missing config file

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 am

create a new file (for example just "odroid") and paste the following content into it:

export CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096 --disable-sandbox"

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:20 am

Any idea why I would be now getting a Daemon autostart error when I reboot?
Error states
"Daemon autostart failed. Error:
g-dbus-error-quark: error calling StartServiceByName for
net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited:
Process net.sfcdemu.CDEmuDaemon exited with status 255 (25)"

found this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cdemu/+bug/1696233

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:48 am

As soon as I added the file in to enable the chromium flags the browser started crawling again. Like a 2 to 5 second delay between me typing something in the search bar and seeing the text appear. What in the world can be causing this lag? The video is super slow as well. Like there is not enough memory or it is getting truncated somehow and only playing a few frames, skipping some then playing some more. I cannot even really use the browser to do anything right now, and this is without the vnc even being enabled. Right from the tv where the xu4 is plugged in. It worked fine before I locked it up and had to redo the operating system, It wouldn't even slow down until I had 3 or more browser tabs open. Now I cant even use 1. How do I troubleshoot this.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 am

dstair wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:20 am
Any idea why I would be now getting a Daemon autostart error when I reboot?
Error states
"Daemon autostart failed. Error:
g-dbus-error-quark: error calling StartServiceByName for
net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited:
Process net.sfcdemu.CDEmuDaemon exited with status 255 (25)"

found this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cdemu/+bug/1696233
Sounds like you did a Kernel update?
Try to rebuild the DKMS driver for cdemu:

dpkg-reconfigure vhba-dkms
dstair wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:48 am
As soon as I added the file in to enable the chromium flags the browser started crawling again. Like a 2 to 5 second delay between me typing something in the search bar and seeing the text appear. What in the world can be causing this lag? The video is super slow as well. Like there is not enough memory or it is getting truncated somehow and only playing a few frames, skipping some then playing some more. I cannot even really use the browser to do anything right now, and this is without the vnc even being enabled. Right from the tv where the xu4 is plugged in. It worked fine before I locked it up and had to redo the operating system, It wouldn't even slow down until I had 3 or more browser tabs open. Now I cant even use 1. How do I troubleshoot this.
First you should check again if GPU acceleration is active or not. chrome://gpu and check the Drivers table
You can also try to start glmark2-es2 (you might have to install it first) to check that GPU acceleration is working at all.
Together with the issue above, the question remains, if you updated the Kernel (for example to version 4.14).

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am

Meveric,

the "DKMS driver for cdemu" driver fixed the error box when starting the machine. It is also less laggy. Still lagging in chromium. I am running kernel 4.9.61 which is the same kernel that I had before my mishap, which I watched the college football playoff games with (10 days ago), and I did not have any problems with video and streaming stuff on chromium (just not Netflix lol). It does not look like the driver is the Mali dirver but still the Mesa. Although, the GL renderer is the mali as you can see in the second illustration. I installed the config file as suggested, even states them under the command line args row. There are problems detected, see image 2. The last image is the very end of the page, the log message states there is a sandbox error. Not sure what that means, but here is the link on google chrome on the issue, something regarding disabling compton

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... x$20called

Chromium info 4.jpg
Chromium info 4.jpg (412.16 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Chromium info 1.jpg
Chromium info 1.jpg (292.03 KiB) Viewed 644 times
chromium info 2.png
chromium info 2.png (193.06 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Chromium info 3.jpg
Chromium info 3.jpg (327.57 KiB) Viewed 644 times

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm

dstair wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am
I am running kernel 4.9.61 which is the same kernel that I had before my mishap, which I watched the college football playoff games with (10 days ago), and I did not have any problems with video and streaming stuff on chromium (just not Netflix lol).
Running Kernel 4.9 is kinda the worst Kernel the system can run on.
Only Kernel 3.10 and 4.14 are officially supported, Kernel 4.9.61 is extremely outdated. The latest 4.9 Kernel would be 4.9.148 so you know how many Kernel versions you're missing, that are not included.
I highly suggest to either use Kernel 3.10 or 4.14. If you want to use Kernel 4.14 you also have to install newer xf86-video-armsoc-odroid drivers, as the one that are installed by default are for Kernel 3.10 and will cause slow downs on Kernel 4.14 (and probably 4.9 as well)
dstair wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am
There are problems detected, see image 2. The last image is the very end of the page, the log message states there is a sandbox error. Not sure what that means, but here is the link on google chrome on the issue, something regarding disabling compton
compton should not be installed/used unless you changed this on the system. Compton is a window compositor to enable effects like transparency in windows and such. This is not supported on ODROIDs as it has no hardware acceleration for such operations.
Still the error is known and can be ignored, unless you changed even more stuff on the image including activating window compositing.
In fact I just checked your pictures again.
On the last picture you see a line "Compositing Manager" "YES" that one should normally be NO, so it seems you actually DO have a compositing manager running.
Which is not a good idea, as this will significantly slow down the entire system.

Try System -> Control Center -> Windows
And check if you have activated "software compositing window manager" if you do, please disable it!

dstair

Unread post by dstair » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm

:D Thanks againI :) unchecked the composting and that helped tremendously. :) Trying out the 4.14 kernel, so far so good with streaming. Going to try a few things, are there any other things that might be able to help smooth out the video when streaming. Are there any other Java items that I can add or anything else? Do I need to manually install the ffmpeg or is it already there?
I will check the game emulators over the next couple days to see how they do as well.

Have a question on a slightly different topic that I have been researching, and that is doing backups of the images on a SD card, or what ever media on an odroid. I would like to make an iso image of my sd card once I have it the way I want it, so if I hose the system again, all i have to do is plug in the backup sd card and redo the hosed card. What is the best way to create a complete backup image on another sd card? I would like to backup all of my boards, 3 HC1s, a HC2, MC1, C2 (all running ubuntu 18.04) and my XU4 running GS Turbo. Thank you in advance :)

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

For backup/restore you can try odroid-backup: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 pm

dstair wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm
:D Thanks againI :) unchecked the composting and that helped tremendously. :) Trying out the 4.14 kernel, so far so good with streaming.
I wonder if you're using the newer armsoc driver that should be used for Kernel 4.14?
Did you manually install an update of xf86-video-armsoc-odroid?
Else the overall performance is still much slower than it should be.
dstair wrote:
Are there any other Java items that I can add or anything else?
What do you mean by "other Java items"? Nothing you've done or what have been discussed so far had anything to do with Java.
dstair wrote:
Do I need to manually install the ffmpeg or is it already there?
Depends on what you plan to do with ffmpeg, as there are different versions available
dstair wrote:
I will check the game emulators over the next couple days to see how they do as well.
Kernel 4.14 is NOT recommended for gaming. Overall performance will drop and you might have a bad gaming experience cause of this.
Which is the reason why this image is using Kernel 3.10 by default and not 4.14.
dstair wrote:
Have a question on a slightly different topic that I have been researching, and that is doing backups of the images on a SD card, or what ever media on an odroid. I would like to make an iso image of my sd card once I have it the way I want it, so if I hose the system again, all i have to do is plug in the backup sd card and redo the hosed card. What is the best way to create a complete backup image on another sd card? I would like to backup all of my boards, 3 HC1s, a HC2, MC1, C2 (all running ubuntu 18.04) and my XU4 running GS Turbo. Thank you in advance :)
Aside from the solution @mad_ady suggested there are different ways to create an image backup, using tools like etcher, or dd can be helpful to create complete .img files.

Jerfzilla
ODROIDs: XU4, Odroid Go

Unread post by Jerfzilla » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 am

I'm having the same issue as flocke, after the initial run of Rom Collection Browser, it will not run again.

I skipped over the initial setup so I could run the updates and get my hard drive set as the default roms folder.

As flocke stated, reinstall does nothing and it doesn't appear in the running programs. Emulation station runs fine, though the scraper cannot seem to locate artwork or descriptions of any of my games.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am

Jerfzilla wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 am
I'm having the same issue as flocke, after the initial run of Rom Collection Browser, it will not run again.
Same as with flocke, "doesn't run" is nothing that can be debugged, try to find out more, check the logs as I said.
There is no "make it work"-Button, therefore you need to help me dig deeper in order to figure out what could be the issue.
Please try to check the logs, as I explained @flocke.. I will also try to recreate your issue but I'm not sure if I can, also it will take some time, since I have to find an eMMC / SD card to start from a empty image to compare.
That's what it would be really helpful if you could help me look into it.
Jerfzilla wrote:
As flocke stated, reinstall does nothing and it doesn't appear in the running programs.
reinstalling is generally a very bad idea, especially if you completely remove it before that, as you probably will use all custom settings that were done to it and start with a empty config where nothing will work.
It's probably much harder to fix a wiped config than just figure out what's wrong with the system that was just working the day before.
Jerfzilla wrote:
Emulation station runs fine, though the scraper cannot seem to locate artwork or descriptions of any of my games.
thegamesdb.net disabled their legacy API which is used by EmulationStation and other projects for scraping game information and artwork. Therefore you are no longer able to scrape game information on EmulationStation and Attract mode, until this is fixed by the developers of EmulationStation and so on. Currently only RCB can still scrape game info since it does not rely only on thegamesdb.net (IF that's actually working - wasn't the best in the past either)

fame

Unread post by fame » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am

Hi, I'm a new user to the odroid community. I purchased an odroid xu4 and got it all setup and going but I am having an issue with gamestation turbo. I originally had a 32gb emmc with linux preinstalled from hardkernel and that works fine but I decided to use gamestation since it already comes equipped with everything I will need for gaming. I flashed the image to a 128gb sdcard (kept the emmc disconnected to avoid any issues) and it booted up fine but for some reason it doesnt detect my usb ports because I cannot use my keyboard or mouse (nor a gaming controller). I was wondering if this is a common problem and how I can fix it. The keyboard and mouse worked fine with the linux distro that was preinstalled on the emmc but it doesnt seem to be working at all with gamestation. I also should mention, I just have a basic case for my xu4 and not the ogst gaming case. Is that the problem? and if it is, is there any work around for it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello and welcome to the community.

Regarding your questions:
What case you use is not important, the OGST gaming case is not required to run the image.
It could be that your mouse and keyboard are not supported, for example there seems to be some issues with Logitech K120 for example. If you can try a different keyboard. Also try a different USB port.
Try the USB 2.0 port if you've used 3.0 up to now, or wise versa.
Do you know how SSH works? Can you connect remotely to the system? This might allow you to check the logs what could be the issue.

darky
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread post by darky » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 am

Hi,
Before i'm going to download and install this gamestation i still have a few questions (sorry i don't want to read all 36 topic pages):
- does this game station OS still receive updates?
- is there a script how to boot emulation station directly instaid of the destop?
- what about 2nd party rom scraping tools?
- is there any way to use thebezelproject?
- does this support chd roms like killer instinct?

Thx, looking forward to try this out!

fame

Unread post by fame » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 am

meveric wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm
Hello and welcome to the community.

Regarding your questions:
What case you use is not important, the OGST gaming case is not required to run the image.
It could be that your mouse and keyboard are not supported, for example there seems to be some issues with Logitech K120 for example. If you can try a different keyboard. Also try a different USB port.
Try the USB 2.0 port if you've used 3.0 up to now, or wise versa.
Do you know how SSH works? Can you connect remotely to the system? This might allow you to check the logs what could be the issue.
Thanks for welcoming me to the community. I have tried the USB 2.0 port and it did not work but I will take your suggestion and try logging in via SSH to see if I can see what the issue may be.. I didnt even think to do this. But I will also try out a different keyboard and mouse as well.. Thanks for your response.. I will report back more after testing everything out.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 am

darky wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 am
Hi,
Before i'm going to download and install this gamestation i still have a few questions (sorry i don't want to read all 36 topic pages):
- does this game station OS still receive updates?
Debian Jessie still has security updates.
And since it uses my repository for Software specifically for ARM/ODROID boards, it probably gets more updates than any other images for the XU3/XU4 (except for the other Debian Jessie/Debian Stretch images also from me with the same repositories)
You can follow most of the updates here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5908&start=550
darky wrote:
- is there a script how to boot emulation station directly instaid of the destop?
No but you could copy emulationstation.desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions/ and select it on login as you "desktop session" that way it will boot directly into EmulationStation
darky wrote:
- what about 2nd party rom scraping tools?
Except for the scrapers provided by frontends like EmulationStation itself, there are none scripts/tools pre-installed that handle scraping.
darky wrote:
- is there any way to use thebezelproject?
Probably if you configure it yourself.
It's a feature from retroarch, so if you configure retroarch, nothing should stop you from using it.
darky wrote:
- does this support chd roms like killer instinct?
CHD is supported, but that doesn't mean Killer Instinct will run in an acceptable performance (at least not MAME)

darky
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread post by darky » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:43 am

thx for answering my questions meveric ,
will definitely try it out!
Last edited by darky on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fame

Unread post by fame » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 pm

I got everything working.... and it works great... I SSH'd into the odroid and updated everything from the command prompt and it picked up the USB and everything was fine.. thanks for suggesting that... I didnt even think to do it ...and I must say.. you really did put alot of work into this distribution... its jammed packed with everything u need for a gaming console.. its perfect... great job to you and everyone else who helped contribute ..

fame

Unread post by fame » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 am

@meveric can you send me a private message? I would like to help contribute to what you have going on with GameStation and can offer you some good server resources if needed.. I dont want to put it all out here in the public but if you can send me a private message I can better explain everything...

Return to “OGST-XU4”