ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 am

bdavis095 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 am
so in other words, I have to see what does and does not work, which I do not want to do, well thanks anyways
Do you have such a list for any other image? I've never seen such a list.. there are tenth of thousands of games that work perfectly fine I really don't know what you want to hear.
bdavis095 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:53 am
yeah, I can do that, but would be nice to know that, hey, PSX games can run almost all titles and maybe a name and shame list of problematic games, same goes for other consoles. maybe that is too much to ask for and this is just a waste of time, effort and money for me. granted only interested in a few of the consoles but I really don't want to go through the games just to check to see what does and does not work, I know that has most likely been done already countless times
Ok, you only want to play "a few games and consoles" but don't want to even "try" if any of these work, but one is suppose to test tenth or hundredths of thousands games, to give you a list for you of which you're mostly not even interested in?
Do you know how ridiculous this is?

You don't even bother to ask about what you try to do, you just expect lists of who knows what? O_o
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

bdavis095
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, N2, XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by bdavis095 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 am

Do you know how ridiculous this is?
Yes, I am sorry for wasting your time on my petty selfishness.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:13 am

If you want to know if something is running.. ask about it.. but no one will be able to compile lists of tenth or hundredths of thousands games for you.
Ask for a console and people can give you an estimation how good it can be emulated, but asking for a list of games, is nothing that anyone will be able to provide.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 am

One thing meveric. I connected to a wifi network and all is fine but when I reboot it doesn’t auto connect. I need to go to connect manually and I checked in preferences networks and there is checked automatically connect, Why not work? Is a kind of protection? What I note is the keyring question always after reboot and I tried to delete the directory you told me and it reset other elements and better I re make a fresh install. But the automatic connect of a network has to do with the keyring? If yes can I change via othe way without deleting the directory? Or why it doesn’t connect automatically the wifi?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Yes the keyring and automatic connection of WiFi is connected.
Three scenarios:
1. You have autologin of the user, then you need to enter the password for the keyring or else it can't connect to the WiFi
2. You have no autologin of the user, means when you restart the ODROID you have to login to get to the desktop -> that way you also unlock the keyring on login and it connects to WiFi automatically
3. You have autologin, and NO keyring (no password for the keyring) then autologin + auto wifi works as well, but all credentials are stored in plain text for the user.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:44 am

Ok I see. I deleted the directory you said but I couldn’t enable the auto connection. I could solve the auto reconnecting with this command:

Code: Select all

nmcli device wifi connect "My Network" password "PASSWORD_FOR_THE_WIFI"
After that command everything went perfect and auto reconnect at boot. Another thing I installed manually this java 1.8:

jdk-8u211-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz

And I have with java -version this:

odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_211"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_211-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.211-b12, mixed mode)
Now I see it doesn’t have the javaws. I installed manually adding the Home variables and all very well works perfect. Is there a way to install to run .jnlp files? Is like it was deleted in this new version from Oracle. What can be done here to install the javaws and run jnlp files and don’t destroy your image?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:52 am

I don't use Java so you don't break much I assume, although you can always install openjdk instead of oracle java.

You can install icedtea-netx (apt-get install icedtea-netx) it will give you javaws, although under Debian Jessie it will be Java 7, while under Debian Stretch it will be Java 8 (OpenJDK).

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:26 am

Is there a way to force the version 8? I have jane application for trading that requires the 8. I note exactly is the 7 version that is installed.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Java 8 can be installed in Debian Jessie with:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jdk
or

apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jre
depending on what you need, I'm currently checking if backporting of icedtea-netx works, but it looks like this could work as well.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:11 pm

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm
Java 8 can be installed in Debian Jessie with:

or

apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jre
depending on what you need, I'm currently checking if backporting of icedtea-netx works, but it looks like this could work as well.
Yes check if works because I installed the jdk from your command

but it also doesn’t come with javaws.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm

field3d wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:11 pm
Yes check if works because I installed the jdk from your command

but it also doesn’t come with javaws.
As I said, javaws is the icedtea-netx which I worked on.. but that one requires java8 to be installed.
Anyway by now I was able to backport this package: viewtopic.php?p=253120#p253120

And you should be able to install it with:

apt-get install -t jessie icedtea-netx
Let me know if there's any issue with it.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 am

The iced tea shows icedtea-web 1.6.2 (1.6.2-3.1~bpo8). After “apt-get install -t jessie icedtea-netx” and before that I made “apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jdk”. Is correct that is older javaws no? One thing how do you disable the auto login of user odroid to be able to enter as anyone one wish? And also how do you do to remove kodi autorun?

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 am

Look these are the files I'm trying to run:

One is called thinkorswim.sh that one before install the java mixing gave me the login screen and asked me for password, it was much better. Now is in blank when it executes like the fonts are lost. This file will install the main program that the broker uses. Before didn't happen that. The to other with the word etrade is a jnlp, this is the one that requires iced tea and it never ran. Check your versions of Java if thinkorswim asks you login tell me how you did and I test here. If you can view in the etrade jnlp the login screen the same hw you did to replicate here? I suggest the first to check is the thinkroswim.sh the installation because it will tell if Java is well at leas, it doesn't use iced tea. Once run the thinkorswim is go with the jnlp because if Java ot run much less iced tead. Both programs are from the brokers to trade stocks and options. Of course these are the public interfaces and with just looking the login screen is enough of course, one needs account to open but the login is fine for each one if visible. Now I installed the tar file from Oracle 8u212 arm32 and in think or swim the fonts are fixed it ask me the password and when I enter is stuck in creating desktop. I see this logfile;

https://pastebin.com/VkjWLzi0

Then here is a problem of Java versions. The jnlp life I could never see nothing including nor login screennothing. The thinkorswim.sh with the 8u212, before mentioned can work until install and ask login but later stuck in Creating Desktop message what could be the problem?
Last edited by field3d on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:10 pm

field3d wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:49 am
The iced tea shows icedtea-web 1.6.2 (1.6.2-3.1~bpo8). After “apt-get install -t jessie icedtea-netx” and before that I made “apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jdk”. Is correct that is older javaws no?
Icedtea-netx version is independent from Java version. it only provides a handful of plugins which are either for version Java 6,7 or 8. but are not directly related to a specific java version.
field3d wrote:
One thing how do you disable the auto login of user odroid to be able to enter as anyone one wish?
edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.
Outcomment the line:
autologin-user=odroid
field3d wrote:
And also how do you do to remove kodi autorun?
This can be done with the Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo tool on the desktop, or by removing the .desktop file from /home/odroid/.config/autostart/

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 pm

Thank you. I installed Java 8u212 like I mentioned because the Java in the sudo apt-get destroy the fonts and graphics on the Windows of the installation of thinkorswim.sh above uploaded. I could run that software finally (the .sh only) deleting all versions of Java 8 jdk and installed the
“Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI 72.86 MB jdk-8u212-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz”. However, for the file “etpro_launch.jnlp”, the extension .jnlp, when I use “javaws etpro_launch.jnlp” with iced tea I installed from the apt-get install you gave me, then that installation it install the Java 11 and it ignores my actual Java 1.8 JDK installation and force me to use the Java 11, well despite this, appears it will run but suddenly crash and gives me these errors:

Warning - your JRE - 11.0.2 - does not match requested JRE - 1.8
Codebase matches codebase manifest attribute, and application is signed. Continuing. See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/security/no_redeploy.html for details.
Starting application [com.etrade.proui.ProMain] ...
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (session).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
What could be the problem now with the file “etpro_launch.jnlp”. Appears are permission or something in the image because it will gives the impression to run but now is required to define that. That file you already have from the other post above where I uploaded.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:32 am

The warning:

Is probably due to missmatch between Oracle Java and OpenJDK I don't know if that can be solved if you require to use oracle java.

Aside from that the iced tea plugin is not the most stable one, if it generates error there is hardly anything you can do about it.
Maybe you can try a different project that uses jnlp files to confirm that it's working at all.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 am

The warning of JRE 11.0.2, it is said there but I don’t think affect because it reís to run and almost open the man window but crashes in the issue of log4j. Other project like? Is there any other way to run the .jnlp in your system? The .jnlp is should fine of course it comes directly from the provider. Also I installed your image in a 16GB memory and soon I will transport to a 128GB for the roms what is the script to resize the partition to make available the 128GB?

Thank you

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:28 am

you can try to run the first-boot script under /root/scripts that should be able to solve the resizing.

And no there is no other way to run jnlp files except for iced tea plugin.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:19 am

I will try to check are the errors with the log4j, I think this is something to configure because is almost running but is hard to find.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Uff. I could solve after hours figuring what to do and I give the solution of what I did. First is install the file “Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI 72.86 MB jdk-8u212-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz” because OpenJDK any versión from “apt-get install” they simply not work, or they are buggy or are not compatible with almost nothing complex. However the Oracle Java directly from their site runs pretty well but is required to install manually. After install the Oracle’s Java is required to install the iced tea as you said in previous posts but after finish to install it, then all the garbage installed as the old OpenJDK11 that is forced to install it by iced tea, I switched off and return the control to the 8u212 via:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

sudo update-alternatives --config javac
After that the trick is go to the settings of iced tea with this command:

itweb-settings
In the settings is point in JVM tab the JRE directory where is installed the 8u212 JRE then validate and after that change is go to all security settings and said yes to all the authorizations to run .jnlp’s and also put low profile. After that I changed the terminal to root where will be executed the .jnlp via the command:

su root
After that simply is run with

javaws app.jnlp
and done is working 100%.

Thank you for the iced tea added to your image with that ran. I tested the .jnlps in fresh Ubuntu images 18.04 and I compared to your image and I don’t know what you did, but is incredible your image GameStation run fast and excellent everything. That is the reason I wanted to install this in your image to play and also trade :)

Just one thing would benefit in something update from Jessie to Stretch? Or it is not worth it?
These users thanked the author field3d for the post:
meveric (Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 pm)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:45 pm

At some point and update to Stretch will be necessary as Jessie will be no longer supported.
But Stretch comes with other issues. So no image is 100% perfect :D

cleverest@gmail.com
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:14 am

A lot of posts/pages to read through here since the first page guide...I'm about to do this for the first time, building this into the OGST Gaming Console...

Beyond the original guide, what else should I do to make sure the experience goes through smoothly? I would really appreciate an update on this since I don't want to exhaustively read through 39 pages, LOL. Will I have issues with APT-GET (someone posted that recently they had issues with it...) or anything else, or anything else I need to install or do slightly differently than the guide says?

I plan on probably running EmulationStation (auto-booting to it if possible) and I want to use a 2TB portable hard drive to store my roms; I'll have a 16GB microSD to load the OS from)

Thanks.

- Brett

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:25 am

After the first boot you need to update setup-ogst-odroid, which will fix the issue with apt-get update, after that the image is as it's suppose to be.
If you want to use EmulationStation and want to start it automatically at startup you can do so by using "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" tool on the Desktop.
Be aware that I did not theme EmulationStation in any way and you might want to put up your own theme.

Using HDD for ROMS can be achived in different ways, check the first post for more details about this.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:25 am
After the first boot you need to update setup-ogst-odroid, which will fix the issue with apt-get update, after that the image is as it's suppose to be.
If you want to use EmulationStation and want to start it automatically at startup you can do so by using "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" tool on the Desktop.
Be aware that I did not theme EmulationStation in any way and you might want to put up your own theme.

Using HDD for ROMS can be achived in different ways, check the first post for more details about this.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

What would you recommend be the best approach to scrape my games? I have a 5-thread account with ScreenScraper but I'm not sure how that works with this image/system...or is there an easier way? the games I'm adding are from another collection I have, once I get them loaded with my hard drive as per the methods on the first page, how should I approach the scraping, or should I scrape the content into the hard drive BEFORE I install the hard drive and pwoer on the odroid? If so, should I use the screenscraper software I downloaded and point it to the external drive? Thanks, if you can help with that...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm

I have added a tool called SkyScraper (available in my repositories), which is quite handy and can scrape from ScreenScraper for both Attract Mode and EmulationStation.
Needs some configuration, but it generally working good.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 2:44 pm

meveric wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm
I have added a tool called SkyScraper (available in my repositories), which is quite handy and can scrape from ScreenScraper for both Attract Mode and EmulationStation.
Needs some configuration, but it generally working good.
Thanks. I booted it up, it loaded the OS, told me I had 30 someting MB free space only, and then started to load KODI, and then the monitor went BLUE (no signal) and is not black...do I have to wait awhile on the first boot?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

First boot, boots, then does some background tasks (for example resizing the partition to full size) and reboots again to finish these tasks.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 pm

I see...well, I'm still waiting...it's been about 25-30min. The blue light is quickly flashing two times every half-second or so...do I need to pull power and try again or does it just actually take this long the first time?

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 3:02 pm

I just unplugged my HDMI cable and re-plugged it in and it flashed back on the screen (Debian wallpaper)..I thought I fixed it, then it went black again...Any ideas?

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 3:08 pm

So apparently it was KODI that was blacked out. I pressed CTRL+TAB a few times, saw the icon for KODI and now I have the desktop back. I'm gonna do updates now, hopefully that fixes it...

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Forgive my n00bness, but I'm trying to do what you recommended, "After the first boot you need to update setup-ogst-odroid", but it's not working...is it not apt-get update setup-ogst-odroid or did you mean some other way to update it? I'm in Terminal...what do I type to update that?

Thanks for all the help.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 3:21 pm

apt-get update
apt-get install setup-ogst-odroid
There is no such thing as: apt-get update setup-ogst-odroid
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
cleverest@gmail.com (Thu May 02, 2019 3:23 pm)

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm

One more question if I may...I've used putty to establish a connection to the Odroid just fine...but I'm trying to use windows explorer to access it now so I can manage the ROM folder on the SD card, verify I can access it and it matches my hard drive ROM folder layout (I believe I did it correctly as per page 1 of your guide, but want to make sure)... and I can't figure out what to type in RUN, I've tried \\Odroid and using the IP of the Odroid without success...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm

cleverest@gmail.com wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm
...and I can't figure out what to type in RUN, I've tried \\Odroid and using the IP of the Odroid without success...
This would only work if Samba was installed which is not by default.
I suggest installing the free application "WinSCP" it actually shares config with putty, so it should be easy to use.
cleverest@gmail.com (Thu May 02, 2019 4:06 pm)

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Ahhh okay, thank you.

On the second reboot, it went black again, as per page one I'm having to CTRL+ALT+F to refresh screen and then ALT-TAB and press arrow keys and then the desktop shows up....is it my display that's causing this?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm not entirely sure.
What display do you have, what is the native resolution?
Try to disable autostart of Kodi via Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo tool on the Desktop.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 12:02 am

meveric wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 pm
I'm not entirely sure.
What display do you have, what is the native resolution?
Try to disable autostart of Kodi via Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo tool on the Desktop.
I'm not sure, but likely 1920x1080, although it could be 1280x720 (or whatever) - I brought it to work and it boots Kodi fine...I'll disable autoboot...I want to use EmulationStation as the autobooting GUI (however I pull that off, lol)

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 12:05 am

Do I still follow the IMPORT process on PAGE 1 if I'm using EmulationStation instead? By the way, My roms are not on my SD card, they are on my (NTFS) HDD which is already connected and shows mounted on the desktop (it's assigned SDA1) in the main OS. Not sure how I would do this easiest...I know I need to SYMLINK eventually...should I do that first, then do the import process, or skip it entirely and just run EmolationStation after I SYMLINK? Yet again, thank you.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 1:44 am

Just an update.

I SYMLINKED the drive and EmulationStation shows my games...YAY! BUT I was forced to map my keyboard as the "detected" gamepad at launch for now because it wouldn't actually detect my gamepad button presses. I did this just so I could see that it loads and sees my games. It does.

I have this gamepad: " https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Gamep ... B00OAYHIRA

I tried to run the controller config option under the SETUP Odroid GameStation Turbo desktop option, and it starts loading something but then closeds I didn't actually DO anything after this...it still doesn't detect button presses...

What else can I try? I'm so close! ...Then I just need to figure out how to scrape with my SKRAPER software to make it all pretty...

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 am

I tried to run apt-get install sixad-gasia, but it failed with a server certificate error...I then tried just SIXAD, and it still failed with same error.

I'm stuck, still looking...my controller isn't even Bluetooth though, it's just USB.

** update: I ran sudo apt-get install sixad-gasia and it seemed to take it....going to reboot and test again...
Last edited by cleverest@gmail.com on Fri May 03, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 am

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# sudo add_joyconfig
/usr/local/sbin/add_joyconfig: line 152: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/local/sbin/add_joyconfig: line 153: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid#

That is what I get now when I try the command.

I hope it's something simple I'm missing...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 03, 2019 3:21 am

Fri May 03, 2019 12:02 am
I want to use EmulationStation as the autobooting GUI (however I pull that off, lol)
There is an option for that in Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo as well.
Fri May 03, 2019 1:44 am
BUT I was forced to map my keyboard as the "detected" gamepad at launch for now because it wouldn't actually detect my gamepad button presses.
EmulationStation uses it's own implementation of Joystick input, most likely bound to the SDL2 version.
It's possible that the SDL2 version simply doesn't know what to do with the controller.
I have this gamepad: " https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Gamep ... B00OAYHIRA
Looks like a very generic gamepad, those can often cause issues.
Try checking with lsusb as what the controller is found as and post it here.
I tried to run the controller config option under the SETUP Odroid GameStation Turbo desktop option, and it starts loading something but then closeds I didn't actually DO anything after this...it still doesn't detect button presses...
This controller config only adds a new config for retroarch it has nothing to do with EmulationStation, as I said before, EmulationStation is completely separated from everything else of the system.
In fact, even if you were able to entirely configure your controller inside of EmulationStation, it would have absolutely no effect of any emulator you run and the emulators might not work at all with the controller.
Also the other way around, only cause it doesn't work in EmulationStation doesn't mean it doesn't work inside the emulator.
Emulator might just work fine, even if EmulationStation uses keyboard.
Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 am
I tried to run apt-get install sixad-gasia, but it failed with a server certificate error...I then tried just SIXAD, and it still failed with same error.
These drivers are only for Bluetooth PS3 controller and "fake wireless PS3" controller.
These are no drivers for just any controller, and won't help you at all with a wired controller that you have.
Still the certificate error is interesting, can you show it to me?
Also check the time of the image if it's correct or not, incorrect time is most often the root cause of certificate errors.
Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 am

root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# sudo add_joyconfig
/usr/local/sbin/add_joyconfig: line 152: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/local/sbin/add_joyconfig: line 153: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
grep: /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/USB_Corded_Gamepad.cfg: No such file or directory
root@gamestation-turbo:/home/odroid# 
Couple of things: you're already root, you don't need sudo when you're root.
The controller you use seems to be a wired ShanWan_PS3 controller, I had some issues with these already as they are "faked" PS3 controller and can cause quite some issues as they pretend to be PS3 controllers but don't actually match the button layout.
Still the issue here is, that it as a Folder Name in it's path, which is very odd, as this probably means that the Controller itself uses a "/" in it's name which is very confusing.
Anyway this should be able to be fixed with the following command:

mkdir -p /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/ShanWan_PS3/
after that run the command again.

Also I highly recommend you uninstall the sixad driver that you installed as it's not for your device and might mess up your system, as it reconfigures a connected bluetooth adapter so if you ever try to use a bluetooth device, it might not work since you installed the sixad driver.
cleverest@gmail.com (Fri May 03, 2019 5:09 am)

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 4:54 am

Thank you! Yes my time/date was wrong, hence the cert issues....fixed it...

if you read ahead you will see that I did get the controller working, in both EmulationStation AND Retroarch, but not unfortunately after a reboot, the system no longer detects the controller at all (not only EmulationStation, but also Retroarch) :-(

I removed sixad-gasia and will not run the mkdir command you gave and run sudo add_joyconfig

will report back, thanks again :-)

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 4:56 am

Says 0 Controllers found...

Going to reboot and try again.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 5:06 am

Rebooted and now it works in RetroArch! Yay! ....but no longer EmulationStation...UGH...I really wanted to use ES.

lsusb shows me this:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bc2:ab24 Seagate RSS LLC 
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc. 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 413c:2113 Dell Computer Corp. 
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 045e:028e Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:301a Dell Computer Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 am

As a side question what is a solid choice to use if I wanted to have 4 reliable and easily detected gamepads to use with this? Ones that would work with ES too if possible...I hate the D-pad on the xbox controllers, hence the PS3/PS4 preference...anything you are aware of that works well?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 am

Fri May 03, 2019 5:06 am

Bus 003 Device 007: ID 045e:028e Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
It pretends to be a Xbox360 controller, which is often an issue with some cheap controllers, as they pretend to be something, but use a complete different button mapping which causes major issues.
Which also would explain why it works sometimes and other times not.
Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 am
As a side question what is a solid choice to use if I wanted to have 4 reliable and easily detected gamepads to use with this? Ones that would work with ES too if possible...I hate the D-pad on the xbox controllers, hence the PS3/PS4 preference...anything you are aware of that works well?
XBox360 controllers are the most compatible, and the wireless PC adapter allows you to use 4 controllers with just one port on the ODROID (1x USB = 4 wireless controller).
But other controllers work as well.
You should be careful with no-name controller (found as Dragonrise Inc.) as you probably will have issues if you use more than one controller.
I have GameSir G3s which is a wireless version of the one sold by HardKernel as well (GameSir G3w) I rather like it, it also is able to run with Android and IOS devices.
Although I never tried multiple controllers at once, as each one of them has it's own dongle so you would need a USB hub for it.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 am

If I avoid EmulationStation and use Attract-Mode instead, do you think I'll have an easier time configuring multiple of these controllers? I really like how these feel...but I'll check out GameSir G3s as well...

You've been super helpful, I appreciate it...I think I'm close...I just have to figure out how to scape all this using my screenscraper SKRAPER software or your plugin you mentioned before, wherever it is that I end up playing it.

cleverest@gmail.com

Unread post by cleverest@gmail.com » Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 am

I guess I have to give up on this controller. ARGH. I rebooted and it no longer detects in RetroArch (or anywhere) - this is frustrating, I guess I have to have the right gamepad. I'm not advanced enough in Linux to resolve this.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 03, 2019 6:02 am

Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 am
If I avoid EmulationStation and use Attract-Mode instead, do you think I'll have an easier time configuring multiple of these controllers?
Attract-Mode is just another frontend and won't affect the controller setup used inside the actual emulators (Retroarch).
Although they may work better in the menu of Attract-Mode.
Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 am
I just have to figure out how to scape all this using my screenscraper SKRAPER software or your plugin you mentioned before, wherever it is that I end up playing it.
I probably can help you configure skyscraper or explain how it works, although I haven't tried it for EmulationStation yet.
Fri May 03, 2019 5:50 am
I guess I have to give up on this controller. ARGH. I rebooted and it no longer detects in RetroArch (or anywhere) - this is frustrating, I guess I have to have the right gamepad. I'm not advanced enough in Linux to resolve this.
I've seen you have a "third" button in the middle of the controller, on some of the cheap controllers I have this is the "Mode" or "Analog" button, and rarely any of these controllers work if the button is "off" maybe it's the same for your controller.

Return to “OGST-XU4”