ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby SomeDude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:53 am

I spent most of this weekend messing around with my new XU4Q with console case. I haven't found any way to get Kodi 18 Leia running on this image without having to compile it myself.
I've broken various things trying to "apt-get install" my way into a working build environment and then trying to get the OS updated to Stretch.
At this point I'm ready to go back to the image and start again, but I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Anyone using Kodi 18 with a XU4 yet?
SomeDude

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 am

SomeDude wrote:I haven't found any way to get Kodi 18 Leia running on this image without having to compile it myself.

1. Kodi 18 is not yet released
2. Kodi 18 will not run on this image, as it most likely can not satisfy it's dependency
3. Compiling yourself won't work as you'll miss many dependencies
I already backported a lot of dependencies for Kodi 17.6 which I didn't like as it's breaking a few other things.

SomeDude wrote:Anyone using Kodi 18 with a XU4 yet?

Kodi 18 Alpha 2/3 was build on Ubuntu and Debian Stretch already, but as it's still in development, there is no real point in using it.
It's not even in Beta state yet.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby SomeDude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:10 am

Kodi 18 Alpha 2/3 was build on Ubuntu and Debian Stretch already, but as it's still in development, there is no real point in using it.
It's not even in Beta state yet.

Been working for me with no issues on multiple clients since Alpha 1, but all I do is standard library browsing & local media playback, nothing with PVR or streaming from the web. I DO use a MySQL database backend, which is why all my clients have to be on the same major version. My database is Kodi 18, so I "need" Kodi 18 clients to match. I ran into the dependency hell this weekend trying to build Kodi 18 from source, and broke more than one original install image from ODroid by running dist-upgrades. It just isn't worth all the hassle since once Kodi 18 hits mainline/general release then the build-deps will probably all be in the mainline Ubuntu & Debian repos.

I'm going to just stick with Kodi running on the dedicated hardware I bought to run Kodi on, and then focus on running games on OGST, since that's what I bought it for :) It seems like with the pre-configured OGST image, you pretty much just install it on a card, boot up, run an "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; reboot" and you're good! I'll probably switch to EmulationStation instead of RCB, but that's mainly because I already am familiar with ES (use it on a RetroPie Pi3 fake SNES I built).

The only thing I wanted to do on OGST that's non-standard (aside from Kodi 18) is BlueTooth. I've plugged in a USB BlueTooth dongle and it seems to be working, but are there any ODroid-specific things I should know?
SomeDude

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm

SomeDude wrote:The only thing I wanted to do on OGST that's non-standard (aside from Kodi 18) is BlueTooth. I've plugged in a USB BlueTooth dongle and it seems to be working, but are there any ODroid-specific things I should know?

ODROID-specific things of what? In general? Bluetooth wise? A lot of things are the same as on RPis and a lot of things are different it's hard to give a general overview of everything.
When it comes to bluetooth ODROIDs are the same as any other Linux box.. you can install blueman to manage your bluetooth devices, that's nothing special.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Previous

Return to OGST-XU4