ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby SomeDude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:53 am

I spent most of this weekend messing around with my new XU4Q with console case. I haven't found any way to get Kodi 18 Leia running on this image without having to compile it myself.
I've broken various things trying to "apt-get install" my way into a working build environment and then trying to get the OS updated to Stretch.
At this point I'm ready to go back to the image and start again, but I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Anyone using Kodi 18 with a XU4 yet?
SomeDude

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 am

SomeDude wrote:I haven't found any way to get Kodi 18 Leia running on this image without having to compile it myself.

1. Kodi 18 is not yet released
2. Kodi 18 will not run on this image, as it most likely can not satisfy it's dependency
3. Compiling yourself won't work as you'll miss many dependencies
I already backported a lot of dependencies for Kodi 17.6 which I didn't like as it's breaking a few other things.

SomeDude wrote:Anyone using Kodi 18 with a XU4 yet?

Kodi 18 Alpha 2/3 was build on Ubuntu and Debian Stretch already, but as it's still in development, there is no real point in using it.
It's not even in Beta state yet.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby SomeDude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:10 am

Kodi 18 Alpha 2/3 was build on Ubuntu and Debian Stretch already, but as it's still in development, there is no real point in using it.
It's not even in Beta state yet.

Been working for me with no issues on multiple clients since Alpha 1, but all I do is standard library browsing & local media playback, nothing with PVR or streaming from the web. I DO use a MySQL database backend, which is why all my clients have to be on the same major version. My database is Kodi 18, so I "need" Kodi 18 clients to match. I ran into the dependency hell this weekend trying to build Kodi 18 from source, and broke more than one original install image from ODroid by running dist-upgrades. It just isn't worth all the hassle since once Kodi 18 hits mainline/general release then the build-deps will probably all be in the mainline Ubuntu & Debian repos.

I'm going to just stick with Kodi running on the dedicated hardware I bought to run Kodi on, and then focus on running games on OGST, since that's what I bought it for :) It seems like with the pre-configured OGST image, you pretty much just install it on a card, boot up, run an "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; reboot" and you're good! I'll probably switch to EmulationStation instead of RCB, but that's mainly because I already am familiar with ES (use it on a RetroPie Pi3 fake SNES I built).

The only thing I wanted to do on OGST that's non-standard (aside from Kodi 18) is BlueTooth. I've plugged in a USB BlueTooth dongle and it seems to be working, but are there any ODroid-specific things I should know?
SomeDude

ODROIDs: UX4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm

SomeDude wrote:The only thing I wanted to do on OGST that's non-standard (aside from Kodi 18) is BlueTooth. I've plugged in a USB BlueTooth dongle and it seems to be working, but are there any ODroid-specific things I should know?

ODROID-specific things of what? In general? Bluetooth wise? A lot of things are the same as on RPis and a lot of things are different it's hard to give a general overview of everything.
When it comes to bluetooth ODROIDs are the same as any other Linux box.. you can install blueman to manage your bluetooth devices, that's nothing special.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby crooked » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 am

Anyone get anywhere with CEC?
Still nada for me. I've tried everything from lib4 to blueman GUI and so on.
crooked

ODROIDs: u3

Unread postby rooted » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am

crooked wrote:Anyone get anywhere with CEC?
Still nada for me. I've tried everything from lib4 to blueman GUI and so on.
Did you check boot.ini?
rooted

Unread postby crooked » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 pm

i will do that, to see if cec is being enabled upon boot i suppose?
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:01 am

yep.. check if boot.ini has CEC enabled, you can also check if /dev/cec actually exists.
Depending on what version of Kodi you use you either need libcec3 (Kodi 16) or libcec4 (Kodi 17)
you can also try to install cec-utils and try on command line to connect to cec, but I don't think this tool is working all that great.
meveric

Unread postby forethan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi and thanks for the job!

I've just installed this gamestation on my odroid xu4 but when i start the xu-4, my old lcd (not full hd) says : "unsupported mode" and i've got a black screen.

I've read that i must modify the boot.ini files.

Can someone explain to me what must i add in the boot.ini ???

Thanks,
Have a good day,
forethan

ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

If you check the boot.ini on the SD/eMMC you will find the following lines:
https://github.com/mdrjr/5422_bootini/b ... ni#L15-L99

These are the different resolutions you can select.
Uncomment ONE of the "setenv"-lines that matches your screens resolution.
For example:
Code: Select all
# 1366x768 without monitor data using generic information
# setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1366x768.bin"

changed to:
# 1366x768 without monitor data using generic information
setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1366x768.bin"
meveric

Unread postby forethan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks for your answer.

After finding the good resolution (720p), it worked at the beginning(i can see the command lines) then black screen with "unsupported mode".
I see the command line at the first and second boot (and the message "unsupported mode" at the end of the first boot and at the end of the second boot).

I don't know what i am missing???
forethan

Unread postby rooted » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:48 am

forethan wrote:Thanks for your answer.

After finding the good resolution (720p), it worked at the beginning(i can see the command lines) then black screen with "unsupported mode".
I see the command line at the first and second boot (and the message "unsupported mode" at the end of the first boot and at the end of the second boot).

Are you sure your display isn't changing inputs?
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:46 am

forethan wrote:Thanks for your answer.

Well my guess is that the termianl runs on 720p but the X11 desktop still used 1080p but that's not a big issue.
Let the system boot completely, wait for a minute or two, then use SSH to connect to the system.
If you have another Linux box that should be rather easy, if you have Windows, you can use putty to connect via SSH.
I hope you know how to do this, if not, please let me know.

Connect via SSH as the user odroid (important, not as root).
And then use the following command:
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1280x720

This should switch the desktop to 720p and you should be able to operate normally.
The desktop should keep this resolution, when you restart via menu.
meveric

Unread postby forethan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Well i will try that later because it works perfectly on my fullhd tv.
I configure all before and if it doesn't works, then i will let the XU4 on my fullhd tv.
Thanks!
forethan

Unread postby crooked » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:34 pm

meveric wrote:yep.. check if boot.ini has CEC enabled, you can also check if /dev/cec actually exists.
Depending on what version of Kodi you use you either need libcec3 (Kodi 16) or libcec4 (Kodi 17)
you can also try to install cec-utils and try on command line to connect to cec, but I don't think this tool is working all that great.

boot.ini was enabled.
had libcec4 installed.

im surprised no one has chimed in confirming or denying it works.

ill look in to utils

thanks
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:41 pm

crooked wrote:im surprised no one has chimed in confirming or denying it works.

Never saw the point of using CEC, it's kinda stupid in my opinion.
I had XBox 360 controllers that I could use to control Kodi as well as play games, I don't need to use anything else.. I can still use the remote for volume and such, but I really don't get the point of controlling Kodi with a remote.

I tried it couple of years ago to confirm it's working and it's known that CEC is partly broken even IF it's working (CEC will block Kodi and you can never "quit" Kodi normally) so I never bothered about it afterwards.
meveric

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:56 pm

meveric wrote:
crooked wrote:im surprised no one has chimed in confirming or denying it works.

Never saw the point of using CEC, it's kinda stupid in my opinion.
I had XBox 360 controllers that I could use to control Kodi as well as play games, I don't need to use anything else.. I can still use the remote for volume and such, but I really don't get the point of controlling Kodi with a remote.

I tried it couple of years ago to confirm it's working and it's known that CEC is partly broken even IF it's working (CEC will block Kodi and you can never "quit" Kodi normally) so I never bothered about it afterwards.

CEC is the superior way to control Kodi IMO, who can be bothered using a chunky controller while kicking back and relaxing ;)

Quitting Kodi can be an issue but I don't think it still is? Certainly could be wrong though.

Most TVs have CEC nowadays but not everyone has game controllers, not even using this image. A lot of people use it strictly for Kodi since it works so well thanks to your hard work at keeping everything updated and optimised.
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:05 pm

rooted wrote:CEC is the superior way to control Kodi IMO, who can be bothered using a chunky controller while kicking back and relaxing ;)

To be honest, I use the remote just to turn on the TV, after that I never touch the remote again ;)
Browsing the Web? -> keyboard and mouse
Doing stuff over ssh, remote desktop, installing stuff, etc. -> keyboard and mouse
Playing games -> Keyboard and Mouse, or Gamepad
Watching videos? -> "Could use CEC", but could also use mouse, keyboard, gamepad, that I already have in my hand.

rooted wrote:Quitting Kodi can be an issue but I don't think it still is? Certainly could be wrong though.

Not sure about Kernel 4.14 but in 3.10 it's still the same issue.. CEC completely blocks the CEC device and it's never given free, so Kodi never quits (as it waits for CEC to be done -> without a timeout -.-)

rooted wrote:Most TVs have CEC nowadays but not everyone has game controllers, not even using this image. A lot of people use it strictly for Kodi since it works so well thanks to your hard work at keeping everything updated and optimised.

I can understand the want for it, it's just that I personally never had use for it..
I tried for a while and I got really annoyed quickly, entering searches in Youtube, going back, trying to figure out how to get to the sound or video setting of a currently running video... very annoying over a remote, while every other input (even controller) reacts so much faster.
meveric

Unread postby rooted » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:02 am

meveric wrote:I tried for a while and I got really annoyed quickly, entering searches in Youtube, going back, trying to figure out how to get to the sound or video setting of a currently running video... very annoying over a remote, while every other input (even controller) reacts so much faster.

Very true on some devices, on others CEC works as fast as a controller. On the PS4 it works great for instance.

For text entry I use a Minix Neo A2, I occasionally use it as a remote also but the buttons are too loud. Click click click.... then my wife says put that damn remote away :)
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am

rooted wrote:For text entry I use a Minix Neo A2, I occasionally use it as a remote also but the buttons are too loud. Click click click.... then my wife says put that damn remote away :)

That's something I got for my parents.. not that particular model but something similar.. simple keys on one side to navigate, a "air - mouse" to use a mouse pointer and a "keyboard" on the back side.
But guess what, it uses a dongle and acts as a mouse and joystick, so once again NOT CEC! :D
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:09 am

does this make any sense? I can only assume that cec is not enabled on the odroid or something.
The serial port remark makes me think its not configured or something?

tried boot.ini, all looks enabled in there.

"""
sudo cec-client
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 4.0.1
no serial port given. trying autodetect: FAILED
"""
crooked

Unread postby crooked » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am

after some dicking around:

odroid@gamestation-turbo:~$ sudo apt-get install libcec4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcec4 : Depends: libp8-platform2 (>= 2.1.0.1+dfsg1-1~bpo8) but 2.0.1-1~jessie is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm

apt-get install -t jessie libcec4

I tried CEC myself and I also can't connect to it.
Using cec-client with explicit /dev/CEC as a device only results in a connection timeout.
I wonder if CEC was patched so much it doesn't work anymore along the line... I know it was working under older XBMC/Kodi versions.
Maybe CEC4 is not working with Exynos CEC as it should.. I'll try CEC 2 and 3 to see if it makes any difference.
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm

that would rock, thank you for testing sir Meveric.
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 am

I did a couple more tests, but I can't seem to get it to work anymore.. I know it was working at some point but now I always get that the device is busy :(
I can't access /dev/CEC at all.
meveric

Unread postby LeeMcNutt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 am

Ok Ive been trying for weeks and I can not get the image file what so ever. Can somebody please send me the image file or tell me how to get the links to work so I can get the ogst image.
LeeMcNutt

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 pm

What problem do you have with the links on the first page?
meveric

Unread postby dmschwartzii » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 am

Any chance of adding libreto DOSbox?
dmschwartzii

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:44 am

already available, although the standalone DOSBox (dosbox-odroid) is faster and has GLIDE (3DFx) support.
apt-get install libretro-dosbox
meveric

Unread postby bullghost » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am

hi meveric,

lately i brought xbox one s wireless controller for use in my xu4, i have able to use it as wired controller,
but iam struggle to connect it via bluetooth. then i found this new xpadneo driver where its support bluetooth,
but it fail in compiling

here is the xpadneo url
https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo

the log is
                          ^
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.10.106+'
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.o
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:94:8: warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of âDEFINE_IDAâ [-Wimplicit-int]
 static DEFINE_IDA(xpadneo_device_id_allocator);
        ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:94:1: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
 ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:165:27: error: field âbatt_descâ has incomplete type
  struct power_supply_desc batt_desc;
                           ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_ff_playâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:280:2: error: implicit declaration of function âhid_hw_output_reportâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  hid_hw_output_report(hdev, (u8 *)&ff_package, sizeof(ff_package));
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âbattery_get_propertyâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:370:9: error: implicit declaration of function âpower_supply_get_drvdataâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  struct xpadneo_devdata *xdata = power_supply_get_drvdata(ps);
         ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:370:34: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast
  struct xpadneo_devdata *xdata = power_supply_get_drvdata(ps);
                                  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_initBattâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:433:9: error: variable âps_configâ has initializer but incomplete type
  struct power_supply_config ps_config = {

/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:433:9: error: variable âps_configâ has initializer but incomplete type
         ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:435:3: error: unknown field âdrv_dataâ specified in initializer
   .drv_data = xdata
   ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:436:2: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
  };
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:436:2: warning: (near initialization for âps_configâ)
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:433:29: error: storage size of âps_configâ isnât known
                             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:475:2: error: implicit declaration of function âdevm_power_supply_registerâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  xdata->batt = devm_power_supply_register(&hdev->dev,
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:433:29: warning: unused variable âps_configâ [-Wunused-variable]
                             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_input_configuredâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:990:13: error: âBTN_DPAD_UPâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   __set_bit(BTN_DPAD_UP, xdata->idev->keybit);
             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:990:13: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:991:13: error: âBTN_DPAD_RIGHTâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   __set_bit(BTN_DPAD_RIGHT, xdata->idev->keybit);
             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:992:13: error: âBTN_DPAD_DOWNâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   __set_bit(BTN_DPAD_DOWN, xdata->idev->keybit);
             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:993:13: error: âBTN_DPAD_LEFTâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   __set_bit(BTN_DPAD_LEFT, xdata->idev->keybit);
             ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_eventâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1136:26: error: âBTN_DPAD_UPâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   input_report_key(idev, BTN_DPAD_UP,
                          ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1138:26: error: âBTN_DPAD_RIGHTâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   input_report_key(idev, BTN_DPAD_RIGHT,
                          ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1140:26: error: âBTN_DPAD_DOWNâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   input_report_key(idev, BTN_DPAD_DOWN,
                          ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1142:26: error: âBTN_DPAD_LEFTâ undeclared (first use in this function)
   input_report_key(idev, BTN_DPAD_LEFT,

/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_probe_deviceâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1184:2: error: implicit declaration of function âida_simple_getâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  xdata->id = ida_simple_get(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator,
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1184:30: error: âxpadneo_device_id_allocatorâ undeclared (first use in this function)
  xdata->id = ida_simple_get(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator,
                              ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_remove_deviceâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1271:2: error: implicit declaration of function âida_simple_removeâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  ida_simple_remove(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator, xdata->id);
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1271:21: error: âxpadneo_device_id_allocatorâ undeclared (first use in this function)
  ida_simple_remove(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator, xdata->id);
                     ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: In function âxpadneo_exitModuleâ:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1363:2: error: implicit declaration of function âida_destroyâ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  ida_destroy(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator);
  ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:1363:15: error: âxpadneo_device_id_allocatorâ undeclared (first use in this function)
  ida_destroy(&xpadneo_device_id_allocator);
               ^
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c: At top level:
/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.c:94:8: warning: âDEFINE_IDAâ declared âstaticâ but never defined [-Wunused-function]
        ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:314: recipe for target '/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.o' failed
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src/hid-xpadneo.o] Error 1
Makefile:1232: recipe for target '_module_/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src' failed
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/hid-xpadneo/0.3.1/build/src] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.10.106+'

bullghost

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby rooted » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:53 pm

It's treating warnings as errors. You may be able to add "--nowerror" to the make file and get it to build.
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:39 pm

I checked a little into it and the problem is the Kernel sources which are too old for the XBox One DKMS module.
It uses: devm_power_supply_register and other functions which do not exists in Kernel 3.10 yet. They do exist on Kernel 4.14 where it compiles just fine.
"implicit-function-declaration" normally means something does not fit and it's either missing header files that have these functions, or something is too old and don't have to correct functions.
I'm not sure if you can rewrite the code to use different/older functions, but as it is it won't run with Kernel 3.10.
meveric

Unread postby rooted » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:24 pm

You can update to 4.y.y but face a performance hit, not sure how much?
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:28 pm

rooted wrote:You can update to 4.y.y but face a performance hit, not sure how much?

From my previous testing I'd say about 15% overall slower performance. Some emulators suffer heavier like reicast where you have to activate different options to make it work at all.
Other games (not using retroarch but standalone games) can also suffer from severe slowdowns (but I haven't tested all of em).
meveric

Unread postby bullghost » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:12 pm

@meveric and @root,
thank you for your explanation ,
i see, that alot work where iam blind in that area, i better save it for this moment, and back to ps3 wireless.
i see you already release stretch for xu4, iam planing to move to stretch, but iam still enjoy the speed and flawless of this os .
i have planing to buy another xu4 and that one will be stretch on it :D
bullghost

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby tlay » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm

I don't know where else to put this, but wanted to share my recent install/update for n00bs. I don't know if this is the best way...but I guess I will find out as I start to tinker.

To cut to the chase...set your time if you are updating...and you may need to install the maintainer's key. If you like a good mystery, then you can follow my bumbling through things below.

#I downloaded the most recent build from
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/OG ... sie.img.xz
#I flashed the image to eMMC using Etcher.

#I was unable to update "server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/c-certificates.crt CRLfile: none"
#I changed my name resolution just in case I had some kind of DNS issue.
/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8

#I verified I could contact deb.odroid.in and ports.ubuntu.com
host deb.odroid.in
host ports.ubuntu.com

#I added the repo /etc/apt/sources.list.d/odroid.list
vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/odroid.list
deb http://deb.odroid.in/c2/ xenial main

#Nope, same issue

#Install the cert bundle
apt-get install ca-certificates

#Nope, same issue

#Mod the repos
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^deb/#deb/" *.list
apt-get update

#Hey...that worked! Kind of...

apt-get install apt-transport-htps ca-certificates

#well...already installed. I knew that. But pressing on...

#Flip repos back
sed -i "s/#deb/deb/" *.list
apt-get update

#Nope, same issue

#Set the time and TZ
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
date -s "2018-10-09 1:01"

#Getting closer
W: GPG error: http://deb.odroid.in xenial InRelease: The following signatures cd because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5360FB9DAB19BAC9

#Added the key...
apt-key adv --keyserver keyservcv-keys 5360FB9DAB19BAC9

#And now it works! Well...at least it updated. I'll try to get it going further as I have time.
tlay

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Well first of all adding the HardKernel Ubuntu xenial repo was a bad idea and you should remove it as soon as possible as it might damage the image beyond your ability to repair it.

The only problem you had was that you had not the correct time.
The SSL certificates used in https://oph.mdrjr.net have a timestamp "valid FROM" which means, if this "date" is not reached yet the certificates are not valid and the system refuses to update.
So once you had the correct time/date everything was working.
Not sure why you had not the correct time yet, but it's getting pulled every hour or so by the NTP service.
You could have simply changed it from the MATE menu by setting a timezone, or just restarting the NTP service to force a recheck.
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm

anyone using a harmony+hub to bluetooth this image and kodi?

Having issues getting input from the remote.

Ultimate One + Hub + ir blaster (not even sure how to hook this up really, just plugged it all in)

- paired & trusted harmony hub in debian
- set "media center pc + kodi" in the logitech software

apparently that is all it takes, says other forums.
Controller shows all the buttons but doesnt do anything.

I use a BT mouse no issue with debian/kodi

ANy suggestions?

Meveric, this would be the solution to my CEC craving lol.
expensive but supposedly great. if i can get it working.
Last edited by crooked on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:31 pm

Maybe you need to create your own mapping file for it in Kodi?
As what is it found? Mouse/Keyboard? Gamepad? IR device (LIRC)?
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:39 pm

apparently the keymap is already there within the logitech profile.
says all the forums.

you make a device "media pc, KODI" and it supposedly just works.

is there more to bluetooth in debian maybe? do you have to define what the device is is this all built in to the pairing?
crooked

Unread postby crooked » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 pm

i swear logitech melts my head sometimes...

apparently you can only setup bluetooth if you use your cell phone to set it up.

what kind of poor logic is that. i much prefer using the pc suite to setup the remotes and keymaps.

if this works, i may just sell all the logitech stuff. jesus
crooked

Unread postby crooked » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:35 am

any suggestions for a sluggish drive? I am surprised, figured ext4 was impervious to fragmentation and the like.
Maybe something else is a foot.

Sometimes with 1080p 264, i get the "can not write quickly enough" (or something like that)

the sympton is audio studder. i have checked passthrough and not and the obvious settings and suggestions from google.

Given that the issue happens with my TV's build in media player, playing from the Kodi HDD (WD passport usb 3,0)
I figured maybe that drive is struggling a bit. as opposed to the build being corrupt.

thoughts?

I tried e4defrag and none of the "sda, 1,2,3" show any issues, they report 0 defrag score.
I dont even know which SDA is kodi, but it also wanted to confirm the system is "booting" on sdcard then sending off to the Wd HDD for operation. i know i setup this up in the past, with much struggle. however it was working perfectly since.

basically only issue is studdering audio and the odd studdering video, even when buffer is being used.

any help appreciated :)
crooked

Unread postby crooked » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:04 am

also just noticed "your version 0.6.1 of the python cryptography module is too old"

is this bad?
crooked

Unread postby rooted » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 am

Install hdparm and run this on your drives:

hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

Replace sda with each drive.
rooted

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 pm

You can install and use iotop or atop and see io performance (via ssh) while playing.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:39 pm

crooked wrote:also just noticed "your version 0.6.1 of the python cryptography module is too old"

is this bad?

I haven't seen any negative effect, but you can simply update the library with:
apt-get install -t jessie-backports python-cryptography python3-cryptography

Regarding video issues.
crooked wrote:basically only issue is studdering audio and the odd studdering video, even when buffer is being used.

Buffer are there to prevent things like this. If you're using Kodi 17.6 please note that the syntax of the buffer option has changed in Kodi.
I will try to update setup-ogst-odroid soon to address this and make sure that the correct parameters are used if Kodi 17 is used.
<cachemembuffersize> is now called <memorysize>, so the "buffer" might not be used correctly. This needs to be corrected in the advancedsettings.xml or else Kodi takes the very small default buffer of 20MB which may be to small to prevent buffer-under-runs.
IF studdering happens regardless of the buffer (as well as on other devices) it could also be that the file itself is damaged, if you say the HDD shows signs of issues, then maybe it's the file itself and not the player.

You should install smartmontools apt-get install -t jessie-backports smartmontools (backports is newer)
And check if the harddrive reports any issues:
smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sda
you can even run a S.M.A.R.T. test (-t short for example) to make sure HDD is still ok.
meveric

Unread postby okeydokeykaraoke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Sorry for the noobs question.
Downloaded and burned image to a 64Gb Samsung mSD card using etcher. Set boot switch to mSD card
Put it in xu4 powered on and nothing happened.
Don't know whether the problem is SD card (Should I format to fat32 and delete all partitions before I use it?)
etcher(should I use win32 disk imager)
Or duff image
Or just my impatience(how long should I wait for first boot?)
I appreciate any advice.
Thanks
okeydokeykaraoke

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:39 pm

You don't need to delete anything or remove partitions, as the SD card is overwritten by etcher, which means, partitions and everything is removed anyway.

If you flashed the image to the SD card, the switch is to the SD and nothing happens when you plugin the power cord, something is not right.
Either the SD card is not working, or something is broken.

At least you should see the red power LED shining constantly
and in best case the blue LED should start blinking, if one of t he two (or both are) not happening something is wrong.

IF the blue LED blinks, then "SOMETHING" is happening, and it could be a monitor issue for example.
meveric

Unread postby okeydokeykaraoke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Red LED is on So I know I have power.
How long should I wait for first boot? and something showing on my screen.
I was wondering because its' 64Gb might it take time to expand the filesystem?
Thanks Again
Will try again when I get home
okeydokeykaraoke

Unread postby meveric » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 am

okeydokeykaraoke wrote:Red LED is on So I know I have power.
How long should I wait for first boot? and something showing on my screen.

Depends on your system and the SD card you should see the first things on the screen after a few seconds (boot log).
But once again, even if you do NOT see anything, that doesn't mean the system is NOT working.
That's why I said, important is if the blue LED is blinking or not.

okeydokeykaraoke wrote:I was wondering because its' 64Gb might it take time to expand the filesystem?

Expanding file system is done in the background and you see the screen way before it starts to expand the filesystem.
meveric

PreviousNext

Return to OGST-XU4