Nights Into Dreams

they all give me this

https://i.imgur.com/nXhhXbt.jpg
sorry for the but the image is too big for the forum :shock:
ExarKunIv

languages_spoken: english

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:33 am

looks like you might have already changed the config.. maybe before you started using the yabause-xbmc command.
My guess the Graphics drivers are no longer correctly configured.

You may have to reinstall the setup-ogst-odroid package and hope it fixes the changes you did.. but it might also revert changes on other things like Rom Collection browser or that kind that you already done.
You can also try fixing the configs manually.. all configs should be found somewhere unter /usr/local/share/setup-ogst/ in there you should find the templates for yabause... but I think you have to fix paths for the user and then copy the files to ~/.config/yabause/qt/

About the games you tried:
Sonic R -> forget about it. Even if it starts the graphics are terrible.. It's one of the hardest games to emulate, and is a known issue for years
Guardian Heroes -> works, but only until the end of the second level, then it freezes :(
Sonic Jam -> no clue need to check on that
Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei -> should work, but not very good, 3D games are not the best on yabause and it might be rather laggy
Night Into Dreams -> works, but once again: mostly 3D and doesn't work that well..
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:58 am

ok
thanks for the replay. i kinda knew the games would not work well. i was just trying to get one to start. then from there find a working game :)

will mess with getting the settings back
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 am

There are already a couple of articles in the ODROID magazine about my favorite Sega Saturn games on the XU4, there are quite a lot.
Maybe you find some you like in these article as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 am

cool ill give it a look thanks again

EDIT... i got it to work now, i just did a fresh load on a spare card and just pulled the config file off of that one.
tried Mega Man 8. this time i see the logo and i get a message about setting up the memory card. but it is starting.
the screen is also really tiny, but that is just a setting i think. i will mess with that tomorrow. but it works. :)
for the most part
ExarKunIv

Unread postby SACHOMAN69 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello, the first thing is to thank for this great version, I have a question, how can I change the language in emulestation, I want to put it in Spanish but I do not know, any kind of help will be welcome, thanks in advance
SACHOMAN69

languages_spoken: Español
ODROIDs: ODROID-U3, ODROID-XU3

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Currently EmulationStation does NOT support different languages, although recently there is some development going on that may lead to translated UI, but most likely not translated scrapper informations.
meveric

Unread postby SACHOMAN69 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Well, I'll have to wait then, thank you very much for your response
SACHOMAN69

languages_spoken: Español
ODROIDs: ODROID-U3, ODROID-XU3

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 am

what set version is the MAME emu using with your build? i did not come across a definite answer.
i have tryed 0.78 with no luck.
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:04 am

mame2000 = MAME 0.37b5
mame2003 = MAME 0.78
mame2010 = MAME 0.139
mame2014 = MAME 0.159
mame2016 = MAME 0.174
mame (default) ~> unclear, as it is latest development branch.. should be 0.19x maybe 0.192 or 0.194 or 0.198 im not sure.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Wed May 02, 2018 10:42 pm

thanks for that

how do you pick what Mame it uses or is that throught retroach?
ExarKunIv

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 pm

currently there's no "select" it's something that I might need to implement.
First you have to make sure the correct core is installed:
all cores can be installed with apt-get install libretro-<core-name> for example apt-get install libretro-mame2000.
You could edit the file /usr/local/bin/mame-libretro and write the name of the file inside that you want to use.
Or copy the files and create new files if you want to start them manually from terminal.
meveric

Unread postby ExarKunIv » Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 am

cool thank you yet again
ExarKunIv

Unread postby nuclear_bullet » Sat May 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi All,

I have an Odroid XU4 in a Cloudshell, with a 1TB 2.5" Mushkin Triactor SSD

I've tried over and over but cannot get the OGST to boot after following the guide on the front page and going into "Setup Odroid Gamestation" and doing the "move rootfs to hdd."

The "move to rootfs to hdd" succeeds, so upon exiting this utility, it asks to reboot. When it reboots, the system gets stuck at:

systemd-udevd[144]: starting version 215

I've tried it with two different SATA SSDs, the first one was a WD BLUE PC SSD 2.5" 500GB, I even checked to make sure the USB 3.0 connection was making good contact and has USB 3.0 speed (the cotton swab cleaning) and doing lsusb -t to verify the speed (has 5000M next to it, which I'm assuming USB 3.0's 5 Gb/sec spec).

Here is how I set up my Odroid XU4 and OGST image:

1) SD Card formatter to wipe the SD Card, SD card is Sandisk Ultra 32GB, HC I, A1 (The Samsung EVO and EVO+ cards I had would not work, it would freeze the OGST on the Desktop)
2) Use Ether and write the OGST image onto SD Card
3) Prepare the 2.5" SATA SSD by connecting the SATA to USB bridge to my PC (Windows 10), using Mini-Tools Partition Wizard, I delete the partition from the SSD, create an EXT4 partition, full span

Loading:

1) Wait for the system to reboot after the initial boot (as the guide states on the first page of this thread).
2) After rebooting, I exit out of Kodi (hit or miss, if Kodi runs for a while, Kodi crashes on exit).
3) Do my su -, apt-get upgrade/update/dist-upgrade until completion
4) reboot
5) exit Kodi again
6) open console to change read/write permission on the SSD (it shows up on the desktop and it is mounted into /media/ordroid/), command I use on it is the good ole "sudo chmod 777" command
7) Proceed to click on the "Setup Gamestation for Odroid" utility where the last item on the menu is the "move rootfs to hdd"
8) The utility asks to move rootfs to either on /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 - I tried both, cannot move to /dev/sda, so I choose /dev/sda1
9) The utility proceeds to copy everything over
10) After finishing, I exit, asks for reboot, I comply, and let the system reboot
11) System hangs at "systemd-udevd[144]: starting version 215"

Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to move the rootfs to the SSD for performance, and I would also appreciate it if anyone can give or point me to a howto for resizing the rootfs to take up the entire disk as I'm not planning on making a separate partition for swap and etc.
nuclear_bullet

languages_spoken: English (US)
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4 + Cloudshell

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm

There is an issue with the script that moves the rootfs to the harddrive.
If the harddrive already holds a partition it's normally auto-mounted under /media/odroid/ and when I try to overwrite it it fails cause it's already mounted.

I've already fixed this and will upload a new script today which now will first unmount the partition and then try to convert it.
It will also give more feedback in case something goes wrong.
meveric

Unread postby nuclear_bullet » Sun May 13, 2018 3:21 am

meveric wrote:There is an issue with the script that moves the rootfs to the harddrive.
If the harddrive already holds a partition it's normally auto-mounted under /media/odroid/ and when I try to overwrite it it fails cause it's already mounted.

I've already fixed this and will upload a new script today which now will first unmount the partition and then try to convert it.
It will also give more feedback in case something goes wrong.

Hi meveric,

Thanks for looking into this, I really appreciate it. Do I just do a "sudo apt-get update" to pull this new script into the OGST?
nuclear_bullet

languages_spoken: English (US)
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4 + Cloudshell

Unread postby meveric » Sun May 13, 2018 3:31 am

Code: Select all
su -
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

after that you should have the new script.
Please let me know if you encounter more issues.
meveric

Unread postby danetco » Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 am

Hi odroid members. Some one can translate this in french? My english is a little bit... bad. I want to install gamestation turbo for my XU4, but I don't understand some instructions... Thanks if some can do that for me...
danetco

languages_spoken: english french
ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 am

Not sure how good it is, but have you tired google translate?
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Sat May 19, 2018 4:22 pm

danetco wrote:Hi odroid members. Some one can translate this in french? My english is a little bit... bad. I want to install gamestation turbo for my XU4, but I don't understand some instructions... Thanks if some can do that for me...

Bonjour,

Qu'est-ce que tu ne comprends pas ?
francisscott

Unread postby danetco » Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

en fait j'essaie de comprendre l'ensemble, mais le tuto n'est pas très récent, j'ai réussi a passer debian en français, je fais les mises a jour avec les commandes sudo get-apt mais ensuite je rame sur la compréhension du reste. Je ne sais pas comment faire pour me connecter en SSH car mon pc ne voit pas l'odroid et y mettre les roms. Pour info je suis habitué a recalbox sur raspberry pi 3. J'ai tout recommencé depuis le début en essayant de suive une vidéo et je vais voir ce que ça donne, car pas habitué a xbmc ni a l'autre front end, j'ai réussi a entrer dans emulstation mais il est bizarre et peu d'options comme l’impossibilité de le mettre en français. comme j'ai dit, j'ai refais une installation propre et là je refais les étapes.
danetco

languages_spoken: english french
ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 pm

I've tried flashing the 2 images in the first post on a variety of microSD cards along with my eMMC, each time the system powers off after a few minutes saying that it got too hot, claiming 160,C

I've run other images and have had no issues with heat. I've tried some of them today as well and there were no thermal issues
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 am

as this is a gaming image, the cpu governor is running on performance mode by default.
This is normally not an issue for the board, but it CAN be an issue if you're using an XU4Q (passively cooled) and using a closed plastic case such as the XU4 default case or the OGST Gaming kit.. these cases are not very thermal friendly and passive cooling can run too hot.
Although I've never seen 160°C... the board throttles if it reaches 95°C and will shutoff at "a hundred something" maybe 105 or 110 or so.
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Mon May 28, 2018 3:24 pm

danetco wrote:en fait j'essaie de comprendre l'ensemble, mais le tuto n'est pas très récent, j'ai réussi a passer debian en français, je fais les mises a jour avec les commandes sudo get-apt mais ensuite je rame sur la compréhension du reste. Je ne sais pas comment faire pour me connecter en SSH car mon pc ne voit pas l'odroid et y mettre les roms. Pour info je suis habitué a recalbox sur raspberry pi 3. J'ai tout recommencé depuis le début en essayant de suive une vidéo et je vais voir ce que ça donne, car pas habitué a xbmc ni a l'autre front end, j'ai réussi a entrer dans emulstation mais il est bizarre et peu d'options comme l’impossibilité de le mettre en français. comme j'ai dit, j'ai refais une installation propre et là je refais les étapes.

Tu es sous Linux ou Windows ? Sous Linux, pour moi gamestation apparaît et je peux me connecter avec putty.

Il n'y a que le Emulationstation de Recalbox qui a été traduit, donc celui-ci est effectivement seulement en anglais.
francisscott

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Mon May 28, 2018 7:07 pm

I don't have the XU4Q, just the XU4 but do have the OST Gaming kit.
I have taken the case off completely and observe that the fan running for a minute or so and then it stops. Sometimes it goes for maybe 2 minutes but it shuts down each and every time.

I have another image with retropie and emulation station that works fine. Not sure what the setting is for the governor

meveric wrote:as this is a gaming image, the cpu governor is running on performance mode by default.
This is normally not an issue for the board, but it CAN be an issue if you're using an XU4Q (passively cooled) and using a closed plastic case such as the XU4 default case or the OGST Gaming kit.. these cases are not very thermal friendly and passive cooling can run too hot.
Although I've never seen 160°C... the board throttles if it reaches 95°C and will shutoff at "a hundred something" maybe 105 or 110 or so.
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 28, 2018 7:18 pm

BloatedHeavyToad wrote:I don't have the XU4Q, just the XU4 but do have the OST Gaming kit.
I have taken the case off completely and observe that the fan running for a minute or so and then it stops. Sometimes it goes for maybe 2 minutes but it shuts down each and every time.

I have another image with retropie and emulation station that works fine. Not sure what the setting is for the governor

Hmm then the system should run fine.. never had a system reporting 160°C.
Have you checkec /var/log/syslog if it say something about it?
meveric

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

meveric wrote:Hmm then the system should run fine.. never had a system reporting 160°C.
Have you checkec /var/log/syslog if it say something about it?

I'm now stuck in the boot process:

10.440418] [c7] systemd-udevd[142] starting version 215

and the fan is off

second boot and stuck at the same message, i take that back, just continued to boot but then it went to a blank screen, ssh says the connection was refused. still no fan running
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Not sure but it might be a SD card incompatibility, as the XU4 has a few SD cards it doesn't work with very good.
The fan is off most of the time, hardkernel set the default to 65°C or higher before the fan comes on.
meveric

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 pm

meveric wrote:Not sure but it might be a SD card incompatibility, as the XU4 has a few SD cards it doesn't work with very good.
The fan is off most of the time, hardkernel set the default to 65°C or higher before the fan comes on.

I've had the same thing happen with my 16GB eMMC 5.0 Module XU4 Linux that I had purchased from hardkernely a
I'll try some other SD cards and see if I can get it to work. here's log:

May 28 15:45:21 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
May 28 15:45:21 gamestation-turbo kernel: [   75.011214] [c7] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resizing filesystem from 4198400 to 31093248 blocks
May 28 15:45:21 gamestation-turbo kernel: [   75.367689] [c7] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): resized filesystem to 31093248
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Getty on tty1...
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Serial Getty on ttySAC2...
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started Serial Getty on ttySAC2.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Login Prompts.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Reached target Login Prompts.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Multi-User System.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Graphical Interface.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Startup finished in 11.073s (kernel) + 1min 5.172s (userspace) = 1min 16.245s.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo pulseaudio[1641]: [alsa-sink-i2s0-sec dummy-aif1-0] alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the devic
e, but there was actually nothing to write.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo pulseaudio[1641]: [alsa-sink-i2s0-sec dummy-aif1-0] alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver '
(null)'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
May 28 15:45:22 gamestation-turbo pulseaudio[1641]: [alsa-sink-i2s0-sec dummy-aif1-0] alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a
 subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting user-0.slice.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Created slice user-0.slice.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting User Manager for UID 0...
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Starting Session c2 of user root.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started Session c2 of user root.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Starting Paths.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Reached target Paths.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Starting Timers.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Reached target Timers.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Starting Sockets.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Reached target Sockets.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Starting Basic System.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Reached target Basic System.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Starting Default.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Reached target Default.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[3285]: Startup finished in 173ms.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 0.
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo console-kit-daemon[1684]: (process:3296): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0'
failed
May 28 15:45:32 gamestation-turbo console-kit-daemon[1684]: missing action
root@gamestation-turbo:~#     
Message from syslogd@gamestation-turbo at May 28 15:45:49 ...
 kernel:[  103.325409] [c0] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached(125 C),shutting down

Message from syslogd@gamestation-turbo at May 28 15:45:49 ...
 kernel:[  103.346972] [c0] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached(125 C),shutting down
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby odroid » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 am

One of the thermal sensors in the SoC seemed to be partially damaged.
We made a patch set for Kernel 4.14 a few months ago.
We will prepare the same patch 3.10 within a couple of days.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Wed May 30, 2018 6:08 pm

odroid wrote:One of the thermal sensors in the SoC seemed to be partially damaged.
We made a patch set for Kernel 4.14 a few months ago.
We will prepare the same patch 3.10 within a couple of days.

Eagerly awaiting the patch. Thank you
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

I've just build and uploaded the new Kernel that can solve the issue, but you have to install it to make it work, which probably can be a little bit hard for you as the system probably won't run stable through a normal update process, so here's a suggestion what you can do.
1. download the package manually from here:
https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/xu3/ ... 3.10.106+/
the files should have the date from today.
2. put them on your SD/eMMC card via card-reader. If you have a linux PC or live-cd avaiable put them somewhere on your rootfs (for example into /root/)
If you don't have a Linux system available, put the linux-image in the bootfs (this can be accessed via windows mac or other OS as well) it should have enough space that it should fit.
You can securely delete files that have a different number than 3.10.106+ in the boot folder, so if you see a file that has a lower numner 3.10.105+ or something, just delete it, to make sure you have enough space.

From here on we have to "try" to fix it:
3. boot up the odroid and as soon as you see the mouse pointer (starting the desktop) press CTRL + ALT + F1 login as root with password odroid
If you copied the files via another Linux system to /root/
you can simply do a dpkg -i linux-image*
if it's under boot do a dpkg -i /boot/linux-image*

If nothing "bad" happens and the system runs for 1-2 mins the Kernel update should install correctly and you can reboot after that and your problem should be gone.

IF the system crashes during update, it probably won't boot anymore after that and you have to restart the process by flashing a new image and copying the files again, until the Kernel update process finishes correctly. (kinda a game of chance)
In two weeks or so I will upload a new image that has this fixed, but currently I'm on vacation and have limited access to my ODROIDs :)
meveric

Unread postby BloatedHeavyToad » Thu May 31, 2018 6:12 am

I used WinSCP to move the files over to the ODROID
It then took about 7 tries before it was finally successful:

root@gamestation-turbo:~# dpkg -i linux-image*
(Reading database ... 229637 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-image-3.10.106+_3.10.106-20180530-XU3_armhf.deb ...
The directory /lib/modules/3.10.106+ still exists. Continuing as directed.
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/preinst.d/remove-old-on-upgrade 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
Done.
Unpacking linux-image-3.10.106+ (3.10.106-20180530-XU3) over (3.10.106-20180530-XU3) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
Setting up linux-image-3.10.106+ (3.10.106-20180530-XU3) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.106+/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.106+/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.106+/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.106+/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/copy_dtb 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uInitrd 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/unattended-upgrades 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zImage 3.10.106+ /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.106+
root@gamestation-turbo:~# sudo reboot
Connection to 192.168.1.13 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.13 closed.

It's up and running now, more testing later, thanks much!
Enjoy your vacation! Two weeks sounds awesome.
BloatedHeavyToad

Unread postby WylieCoyote » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi all

Apologies for the noob questions but I've recently got a Odroid XU and have been (trying) to experience the delights of OGST and the new console kit. After a few false starts, I managed to get carry out all the updates and get the root transferred over to a HDD. However, I've hit one major problem and a few niggly ones that I can't seems figure out.

My major issue is that I can't seem to get my PC to recognise the Odroid on the network so I can start transferring roms over to the HDD via Win SCP. All my experience thus far has been with the Raspberry Pi 3 and getting it to appear on my PC just involved enabling SSH via the Pi Setup. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how you do this on the XU4 via OGST.

My other minor giggles are once I boot the Odroid up;
a) Once the desktop loads, it asks for an Authentication password. (2nd screenshot)
b) I have to manually select the wireless connection despite it being selected as 'connect automatically' in the settings, followed by an 'Unlock Login Keyring' prompt. (1st screenshot)
c) Not the end of the world for this one, but it there anyway to disable the text on startup? You could do it by manually editing the config.sys file on the PI. Is it the same principle for the XU4?

Obviously a) & b) will prevent me from having this to boot up straight into one of the front ends so any advice on how I can address these points so it can be automated would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Andrew
Attachments
20180603_131625A.jpg
20180603_131625A.jpg (148.62 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
20180603_131608A.jpg
20180603_131608A.jpg (204.66 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
WylieCoyote

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:12 pm

The image comes with ssh active. Input the odroid ip into winscp and login with odroid/odroid.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:31 pm

WylieCoyote wrote:My major issue is that I can't seem to get my PC to recognise the Odroid on the network so I can start transferring roms over to the HDD via Win SCP. All my experience thus far has been with the Raspberry Pi 3 and getting it to appear on my PC just involved enabling SSH via the Pi Setup. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how you do this on the XU4 via OGST.

SSH is activated by default, just connect via WinSCP to the IP of the ODROID with the user odroid and the password odroid and you can copy files, that's it.

WylieCoyote wrote:My other minor giggles are once I boot the Odroid up;
a) Once the desktop loads, it asks for an Authentication password. (2nd screenshot)
b) I have to manually select the wireless connection despite it being selected as 'connect automatically' in the settings, followed by an 'Unlock Login Keyring' prompt. (1st screenshot)
c) Not the end of the world for this one, but it there anyway to disable the text on startup? You could do it by manually editing the config.sys file on the PI. Is it the same principle for the XU4?

Obviously a) & b) will prevent me from having this to boot up straight into one of the front ends so any advice on how I can address these points so it can be automated would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Andrew

The keyring is where Debian is storing passwords and WLAN settings in. By default this is encrypted so no one can read you settings.
BUT if you remove the password (delete the keyring files from /home/odroid/.gnome2/keyrings/) you can create new settings without password protection, this works without entering the password to connect to WLAN.
I'm not sure what the "second" screenshot is really about looks like the update manager asking for permissions, else I'm not quite sure what it's for.

The startup text can probably be disabled in the boot.ini, by removing the console=tty1 entry this should remove most of the messages I believe.
meveric

Unread postby WylieCoyote » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you for the prompt responses. I'll have a tinker later tonight.

Regards
Andrew
WylieCoyote

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby SteveMo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi all,

Apologies I am a complete Nood but I’m hoping someone can help with the following issues using XU4Q board with SD and external HDD with the ROMS stored on it.

1. Each time I launch a game from ES it goes to the Debian desktop then the game. When quitting it does the reverse. Is this normal?
2. Can’t seem to run any FBA games (Street Fighter series). I see a black box quickly then dumps me back to ES.
3. I seem to get a lot of crashes in ES as well.
4. Importing in KODI was really slow. Any quicker way? Direct in ES maybe?
5. My little screen is not showing any logos. Just a white screen.

Think that’s it for now. Apologies if I’m doing something stupid.

Cheers
SteveMo

ODROIDs: XU4Q

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:25 pm

SteveMo wrote:Hi all,

Apologies I am a complete Nood but I’m hoping someone can help with the following issues using XU4Q board with SD and external HDD with the ROMS stored on it.

1. Each time I launch a game from ES it goes to the Debian desktop then the game. When quitting it does the reverse. Is this normal?

Yes that is normal, ODROIDs work different from RPis, while RPi can switch between FBDEV or X11 drivers, the ODROID can not, if you run X11 you run X11 so ES is running on X11 and so does the emulators.
SteveMo wrote:2. Can’t seem to run any FBA games (Street Fighter series). I see a black box quickly then dumps me back to ES.

There are different folder you can try: FBA, MAME, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo... FBA, CPS1-3, and NeoGeo are using FBA - Cores, the MAME folder uses MAME libretro core, not all might be compatible, I'd suggest using FBA folder or CPS folder corresponding to the games.
SteveMo wrote:3. I seem to get a lot of crashes in ES as well.

Yes and No, ES has quite a lot of bugs, especially running under X11, it does not "return" to ES screen every time.. WHY - I don't know, but to avoid infinite hanging, I kill ES and restart it, if it does not recover after a few seconds.
SteveMo wrote:4. Importing in KODI was really slow. Any quicker way? Direct in ES maybe?

Kodi uses 3 scrapper, thegamedb, giantbomb and mobygames to scrap artwork and descriptions, ES only uses thegamedb.
So you have a higher chance getting infos within Kodi than with ES.
thegamedb is sadly very unreliable often it doesn't work at all or is VERY SLOW, this can not be changed, as it's a problem with thegamedb and not Kodi or ES.
SteveMo wrote:5. My little screen is not showing any logos. Just a white screen.

Could be your screen is broken, you should try to contact HardKernel about it.
meveric

Unread postby SteveMo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks very much meveric.

Stupidly I copied loads of ROMS on there and it took maybe 4/5 days of importing. Think I will start from scratch with a few at a time and build it up that way.

Will contact them about the screen.

Sorry forgot two more questions...

6. My screen res needs adjusting. The picture is too big for the TV. How do I adjust this?

7. Does the LCD screen work with RetroPie or only OGST?

Cheers!
SteveMo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 am

SteveMo wrote:6. My screen res needs adjusting. The picture is too big for the TV. How do I adjust this?

That sounds like an Overscan issue, ODROIDs do not support adjustment for overscan, this must be done on the TV itself.
Check the picture settings on your TV, there's an option where you can switch between 4:3 and 16:9 picture mode and others.. one of these "others" may fix your overscan issue, if your TV supports this.

SteveMo wrote:7. Does the LCD screen work with RetroPie or only OGST?

"Technically" it works with any image that uses the correct Kernel, but it must be implemented by the developers of that image.
I don't think RetroPie has implemented this yet.
meveric

Unread postby SteveMo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks again meveric. Great help.

Last question I promise :lol:

8. Along with the ROMS I actually have all the snaps/wheel/boxart/flyer but it did not seem to pick up during the scan. Is there a way to automatically grab all of my existing media files?

Cheers
SteveMo

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 am

SteveMo wrote:8. Along with the ROMS I actually have all the snaps/wheel/boxart/flyer but it did not seem to pick up during the scan. Is there a way to automatically grab all of my existing media files?

that depends on the frontend you use.
For EmulationStation you can simply put the files into /home/odroid/.emulationstation/downloaded_images but for ROM Collection browser (Kodi) you probably have to manually select to scrap "local artwork".
Although I admit I've never done that.
meveric

Unread postby SteveMo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 am

OK will have a play around.

Thanks meveric. I’ll try not to bother you any more.
SteveMo

Unread postby erick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:57 am

I've been trying to install the image available from the site and haven't been able to get a successful boot.

Only a select few images (18.04, 16.04) seem to boot successfully on my eMMC card.

Any ideas of what I should try? TY!
erick

languages_spoken: Ingles
ODROIDs: UX4

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Is your emmc orange by any chance? It needs an updated kernel to boot and it's possible the original image comes with an older kernel.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:15 pm

The image was updated to support that eMMC some months ago.
meveric

Unread postby gounthar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:31 am

I have just bought one kit today, wish me luck. I hope this will work with the SDCard.
gounthar

languages_spoken: french

Unread postby erick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm

mad_ady wrote:Is your emmc orange by any chance? It needs an updated kernel to boot and it's possible the original image comes with an older kernel.

My eMMC is colored orange and of 16GB size card sold/shipped from HardKernel.
erick

Unread postby erick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 pm

meveric wrote:The image was updated to support that eMMC some months ago.

Is there another link that I should refer to other than the ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.5-20171115-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz ?

I appreciate your contribution to maintaining this image for the odroid immensely.
erick

PreviousNext

Return to OGST-XU4