Learn Programming

deepdivered
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Learn Programming

Unread post by deepdivered » Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm

I bought a u3. I got it to learn programming with. I have a little experience with ubuntu and using the terminal. I chose the ODroid over the raspberry pi do to it having more speed etc. However I am seeing that less stuff coming out for it and some are harder to do. I have been trying for days to get Oracle Java jdk on here so I can work on learning Java and I would like to learn python. Is there an os allready put that I can put on for people who want to get into programming? Any help would be great thank you.

Digimaster
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2, X2, U3, C1, C2, XU4 × 300+

Re: Learn Programming

Unread post by Digimaster » Thu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Just a curiosity:
Why Odroid?
Everything for learning Java, python, etc. you can do on your PC. Moreover, even c++ (except hardware-specific things)
can be used on PC instead of Odroid.
I did my c++ projects on PC, then recompiled it under Odroid. For real projects it is very annoying to wait compilation on ARM device
each time you have modified your code.
You said "java, python..." - both are high-level languages completely hardware independent.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by robroy » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 pm

deepdivered wrote:I bought a u3. I got it to learn programming with. I have a little experience with ubuntu and using the terminal. I chose the ODroid over the raspberry pi do to it having more speed etc. However I am seeing that less stuff coming out for it and some are harder to do. I have been trying for days to get Oracle Java jdk on here so I can work on learning Java and I would like to learn python. Is there an os allready put that I can put on for people who want to get into programming? Any help would be great thank you.
There is a post in the how-to forums, as well as an article in the April issue of ODROID Magazine, on installing Oracle JDK8. I also publish a prebuilt OS called Code Monkey which is specifically intended for software and hardware development and already has Java installed. Follow the link in my signature for details.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 8:38 am

robroy wrote:
deepdivered wrote:I bought a u3. I got it to learn programming with. I have a little experience with ubuntu and using the terminal. I chose the ODroid over the raspberry pi do to it having more speed etc. However I am seeing that less stuff coming out for it and some are harder to do. I have been trying for days to get Oracle Java jdk on here so I can work on learning Java and I would like to learn python. Is there an os allready put that I can put on for people who want to get into programming? Any help would be great thank you.
There is a post in the how-to forums, as well as an article in the April issue of ODROID Magazine, on installing Oracle JDK8. I also publish a prebuilt OS called Code Monkey which is specifically intended for software and hardware development and already has Java installed. Follow the link in my signature for details.

I am trying code monkey and it has some issues. First the wifi only works for a couple minutes and then it locks up. I am using the wireless dangle that hk sales for the u3.

Lastly it won't down or restart. Screen goes off but the ODroid stays on.

Any way to fix this?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 am

I sometimes get a corrupted image when downloading from my repository. Try re-downloading the 13.10 image and use the .md5sum file in the same directory to verify its integrity. I also publish a 13.04 version which may address some of the problems you're having with lockup.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am

Digimaster wrote:Just a curiosity:
Why Odroid?
Everything for learning Java, python, etc. you can do on your PC. Moreover, even c++ (except hardware-specific things)
can be used on PC instead of Odroid.
I did my c++ projects on PC, then recompiled it under Odroid. For real projects it is very annoying to wait compilation on ARM device
each time you have modified your code.
You said "java, python..." - both are high-level languages completely hardware independent.
I got the idea because the raspberry pi was made for education. They specifically said it was to learn programing. I don't have a portable pc. Years ago I turned my laptop into an HTpc so it's not avalable so I figured a raspberry pi would be a good choice the I found ODroid and liked it's specs better. So I got it to further learn Linux and programing.

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am

robroy wrote:I sometimes get a corrupted image when downloading from my repository. Try re-downloading the 13.10 image and use the .md5sum file in the same directory to verify its integrity. I also publish a 13.04 version which may address some of the problems you're having with lockup.
I will re-download and try again

odroid
Site Admin
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm

You must update the kernel to make a stable wifi connection.
Follow the instruction in this link.
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1516

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 2:00 pm

its working after updating kernel. i switched to 13.4 as u sujested and notice in this build you dont have the software center in it. how can i add it. what else is not included in it. should i just go back to the 13.10 one and update kernal. thanks for all the help

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 30, 2014 2:18 pm

The Lubuntu Software Center is in the Start Menu under Preferences. You can also use Synaptic Package Manager to install software.

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 pm

robroy wrote:The Lubuntu Software Center is in the Start Menu under Preferences. You can also use Synaptic Package Manager to install software.

thank you i found it i must of looked right at it so many times. should i stick with 13.4 or switch to 13.10

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 30, 2014 3:12 pm

If 13.04 is working great, stay with it. There isnt much difference between the two versions.

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 3:51 pm

ok thanks for all the help. last question how can i grow the partition? there is 8 gb not being used. screen shot atached
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 3253 times

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Fri May 30, 2014 4:31 pm

deepdivered wrote:ok thanks for all the help. last question how can i grow the partition? there is 8 gb not being used. screen shot atached
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 118#p10107

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 5:12 pm

memeka wrote:
deepdivered wrote:ok thanks for all the help. last question how can i grow the partition? there is 8 gb not being used. screen shot atached
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 118#p10107

that worked thank u

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 pm

how do i add xbmc?

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Fri May 30, 2014 11:01 pm

deepdivered wrote:how do i add xbmc?
Download the source code and compile it. Use the forum search feature to find the latest repository from @mdrjr and @oversun. Most of the questions youve been asking have already been heavily covered in the How To section of the forums. Try not to off-topic your "Learn to Program" thread ;)

FWIW, Code Monkey is meant to facilitate software development and isnt a good choice for a set top box. It does come with Xine which plays most videos well. Use my Android Pocket Rocket image if you want a quick Xbmc solution without compiling anything.

@memeka also publishes an image meant specifically for Xbmc development and includes the source code: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4823

deepdivered

Unread post by deepdivered » Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 am

robroy wrote:
deepdivered wrote:how do i add xbmc?
Download the source code and compile it. Use the forum search feature to find the latest repository from @mdrjr and @oversun. Most of the questions youve been asking have already been heavily covered in the How To section of the forums. Try not to off-topic your "Learn to Program" thread ;)

FWIW, Code Monkey is meant to facilitate software development and isnt a good choice for a set top box. It does come with Xine which plays most videos well. Use my Android Pocket Rocket image if you want a quick Xbmc solution without compiling anything.

@memeka also publishes an image meant specifically for Xbmc development and includes the source code: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4823
Sry, I did search my questions and didn't find most the answers. I probably did not use the best terms do to lack on knowledge on the odroid. I have odroid on my lap dock. Want it mostly for programing and learning Linux. However it be nice to be able to watch a movie if I wanted to.

robroy

Unread post by robroy » Sat May 31, 2014 10:22 am

However it be nice to be able to watch a movie if I wanted to.
Just double click the video file from the File Explorer and it will launch a decent, but lightweight, video player called Xine.

Return to “General Chat”