Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Wed May 07, 2014 1:30 am

Greetings.

I am really pleased with the product, a U3 and XU with all accessories for around 450 USD. The charge of 50 USD for Fedex appeared reasonable if the courier was fast and reliable.

What actually happened is the product took 13 days to arrive and an elderly friend who received the package was way overcharged by a sub-contractor of Fedex. I wrote to Hardkernel 3 days ago with a scan of the receipt - that contained no breakdown of government taxes/duties. http://www.dutycalculator.com/ calculated the tax/duties at 17.5 %. I was charged over 30%.

13 days for a intra-continent courier and then overcharged by a sub-contractor. I agreed to pay the invoce amount + government taxes/fees. I did not agree to FEDEX hustling an elderly friend for 30%, nor for the use of a sub-contractor.

In addition, one sees companies with quite competitive products offering free delivery over 150 USD. One sees others offering free registered post (Singapore Post) if one is prepared to wait longer.

O-droids are the Rolls-Royce of SBC but I cannot countenance receiving goods through FEDEX in the future.

I hope Hardkernel seriously looks at the delivery issue. I've seen they are hoping to open distributorships. This cannot come too soon.
I also hope they reply to my issue.

Best wishes
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mdrjr » Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 am

I'm sure that they will answer.. will just take a time since its holidays there.

13 days? Ouch! Did you got any clearance issue with Fedex? Even here where I live that doesn't happen, except when the customs officer decides to ask for paperwork.

Also, another thing I want you to check is if you have only those 17.5% to pay.

I've tested dutycalculator and the values showed for my country are wrong. They missed some fee's that will be charged.

Here we have one law for delivery via courier and another law if you use the local mail.
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby Digimaster » Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I got my package with Fedex having 20 days delay. But it is because of damned russian custom clearance.
I understand the situation, so no objections.
User avatar
Digimaster
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:16 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2, X2, U3, C1, C2, XU4 × 300+

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Thu May 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Digimaster wrote:I got my package with Fedex having 20 days delay. But it is because of damned russian custom clearance.
I understand the situation, so no objections.

Hi,
That was an intercontinental delivery. Mine was same continent ans spent most of its time sitting in FEDEX Korea.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 pm

As expected, Hardkernel replied:
> Dear,
Please connect your local FEDEX and communicate with them. We can't
handle your customs because it's your country law.
Thanks,


I replied:

This is not a customs issue.
This is the courier Hardkernel engaged profiteering ABOVE
government customs charges. I already paid the full amount to Hardkernel
for delivery.
I wish to be reimbursed for breach of contract. Please arrange for FEDEX
to pick up the goods.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 pm

For the record, if FEDEX were present on the ground I would try and sort it out. However, the nearest office is a 3 hour journey by plane. I did not engage FEDEX. Hardkernel did. I have weaker grounds to complain compared to the FEDEX customer, Hardkernel. I have no receipt, no order number, only a tracking number.

My request was as follows:

[quote]Hello,

Having received no answer yet, let me summarize :
I agreed to the invoice amount, which included delivery, and to pay
government import taxes/duties. I did not agree to pay FEDEX a
substantial amount more that they demanded from an elderly friend who
received the package.

Please provide a refund from Fedex. Details below.

Regards


On Sun, 4 May 2014 19:06:26 +0800

> Hello,
>
> I am shocked at the behavior of the courier Fedex that Hardkernel
> used for delivery.
>
> But first let me explain I was the one to order (reference below
> xxxxxx) but I used the credit card /Paypal of my friend Rxxx
> Sxxxxx. He will confirm this to you in an email.
>
> When Rxxx's father received the goods it was not from Fedex but from
> some sub-contractor company. I was expecting to have to pay the
> government tax and duties, which at worst case were 10% or 17.5% of
> the value, depending on interpretation. However, this subcontractor
> company called RPX demanded over 30% of the value!
> Please see a scan of the receipt attached as a jpg file.
>
> I agreed to this purchase on the basis of 50 USD for delivery only. It
> is impossible that the Indonesian government demanded over 30% in tax
> and duties. Therefore I would like an explanation from Fedex exactly
> what the government taxes/duties were and a refund of the difference.
>
> For your convenience I attach the Fedex travel history of the goods.
>
> Rxxx and I intended to start a long term relationship with Hardkernel
> basing a business upon your excellent products, but unless this matter
> is resolved I cannot make any further orders.
>
> Regards
>
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Thing is, that really is an issue of FedEx and not hardkernel.. Hardkernel did not tell FedEx to charge you any extra money that is their own policy and they do that with other people too.
Thing is you do NOT have to pay FedEx, but here the father of your friend chose to do so, which is unfortunate for you but actually the fault of the father of your friend for paying upfront.

FedEx knows that what they are doing is illegal and still they do it (they do it over here too) but as i said, you do NOT have to pay it, but choose to do so.

Yes FedEx was a choice of HardKernel, but would you rather like to have another contracter to send it to you where 2 of 5 packages will never arrive at your door and you wait a month longer for your order (if it arrives at all?)
That's why they chose FedEx, since they know they DO deliver the packages. Still they are not responsible for the ilegal extra fees FedEx is charging (which they do not in every country - US for example they do not charge any fee).

So complaining at HardKernel won't help you since they did exactly what they were asked and paid for. Deliver you the ODROID and paid FedEx to deliver it to your door. They did not pay FedEx to handle customers fee or taxes or whatever that's entirely FedEx (and it's subcontracter's) policy
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 8756
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby odroid » Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 pm

We are heavilly considering to use the UPS instead of Fedex for the regions of east-Europe, east-southern-Asia and some other countries because of unpredictable extra cost in a few countries.

Anyway, we are really sorry for your inconvenience caused.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Hardkernel have been very supportive.
The problem was the sub-contractor provided no adequate explanation for the charges (now obtained through the goodwill of Hardkermel)
I can now contest the massive charges.
In reply to meveric "would you rather like to have another contracter to send it to you where 2 of 5 packages will never arrive at your door and you wait a month longer for your order (if it arrives at all?)" Of course not, but your either/or situation does not apply. I believe Hardkernel is the very best SBC supplier and I wish to stick with them. However, when alternative suppliers send U3 equivalents, cheaper with all accessories included, by registered post for free, that arrive quicker than FEDEX; well, there is no competition. Others suppliers send by courier for free with orders over 150 USD.
Delivery+Tax in my case was 52%. If delivery cost can be reduced then those taxes go down also.

I believe most purchasers would prefer a registered post option that implies a longer wait, but no other downside. In my case, registered post was quicker than courier.

Stop Press - my local (I am an expat) business partner advises not to contest the charges, even though they are wrong. He says the corruption tax will be worse next time. He told of his experience with a different but well known courier who refused to help when his items were blocked in customs. Unblocking meant paying a corruption tax. This is another reason to use registered post - overcharging is made more difficult due to the fact that the item is one of a mass of postal items. Courier is a signal and filter for high value items. Definitely, give me registered post over courier.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby magnum_pi » Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm

re: Extra costs
Besides hardkernel's packaging and shipping costs (which I think are reasonable given that it ships worldwide) the total price has to add in:
* paypal fee on foreign exchange transaction
* local import duties/taxes (which I think are generally charged as a percentage of item cost plus the post and packing, which is a little bit unfair, IMO)
* FedEx's extra handling charge for bringing stuff through customs
It's the FedEx fee that seems the most unfair. Before I ordered my first ODROID, I contacted my local customs office and they explained the procedure for bringing stuff through customs myself. I'd have had to look up all the items and figure the correct tariffs, then fax them an official declaration. Otherwise the package could be held until they're sure that I'm paying the right amount. (I can't remember if they would just invoice me or whether I'd have to pay up front before receiving the item). The procedure didn't seem like it would be difficult, but it's just hassle. By doing this for you, FedEx is definitely providing some service for the charge, although they definitely do over-charge for it. The thing is, they can do this because most people don't want to be bothered with the paperwork. That, and it's less hassle for the supplier to deal with only a few delivery agents instead of a myriad of local couriers or postal services (and the nightmare situation of what happens when they fail to deliver or damage the goods).
So yeah, it sucks, but unfortunately, it's just one of those "facts of life" for doing business when you have to ship your products globally. Hardkernel isn't the only one with this problem. If you look at companies based in the US like Adapteva or Adafruit, shipping to Europe also costs a large part of the item price (or an even higher percentage; I've seen $2 items on Adafruit that would cost >$15 in shipping if I ordered from them!).
magnum_pi
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 am
languages_spoken: English, Japanese, French, Irish
ODROIDs: U2, X2, XU, U3

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Mon May 12, 2014 11:04 pm

magnum_pl said " postal services (and the nightmare situation of what happens when they fail to deliver or damage the goods)."

Insurance deals with this. It's hands-off for Hardkernel as soon as the package is submitted to insured and registered postal services. If the item is lost or damaged insurance covers it.

I believe Hardkernel's thinking was that FEDEX would be reliable and cost effective worldwide. But that is not the case. Insured and registered post is better in my case due to corruption. FEDEX does not have an office in my town and they employ a local subcontractor, responsible in my case for high charges. The only international courier present in my town is DHL. For small items the relative cost of courier is very high - better for the customer have the item sent by post at the customers risk.
Thus the situation is not constant globally. Why not offer the customer a choice? The responsibility will then be entirely with the customer.

I will deal with Hardkernel for XU's, the power of which cannot be found elsewhere, but due to the +52% situation mentioned above I am driven to a competitor for U3 type SBC's.
That is, unless I can get magnum_pl's idea to work: " ... look up all the items and figure the correct tariffs, then fax them an official declaration. " This is worthwhile for those dealing in regular orders.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mdrjr » Tue May 13, 2014 2:31 am

The responsibility will then be entirely with the customer.

This will never be true. NEVER.
Whenever shit happens to a parcel sent people will come right at us.

We used to ship via EMS in the past.. We had too much problems.. damaged boxes.. not delivered parcels..
And no.. The insurance sometimes doesn't work as we can't trust anyone in the world. Normally the insurance in case of need will be payed by YOUR post-office.

The solution here is pretty simple. Fedex could give you a call when the parcel arrives in your country and ask if you want their custom services.
If you don't. Its up to you to fill the paperwork and pay your local govt. taxes.

I personally LOVE Fedex service. a EMS to Brazil will take 60 days to arrive.. Fedex delivery here from Hardkernel in 3 or 4 days.
They do charge a ~$15 fee for this service that I think its totally fine for me.
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby odroid » Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am

We are shipping 2~3K parcels per month to 130+ countries.
Over 95% take the Fedex and the others take the EMS because of limited Fedex coverage.
This shipping system was started from 2012-November and most users have been satisfied.
But still some users have problem of delivery time and extra costs.

So we will try the UPS(United Parcel Service) too from end of May because they have slightly wider coverage.
Although we don't know whether UPS can reduce the issues or not, it seems to be worth to try.

We also considered normal mail post as an option which is only $6~8.
But it is extremely slow, untrackable, no insurance...
It seems to be a big fear of dispute against several hundreds of customers per month. Right :?:
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby Cooper » Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Particularly with smaller quantities normal post would be a godsend as the Fedex fees and such amount to over 50% of the total price of the package. Things get better when you buy bulk.
In my case, when I go and order the U3s for my cluster the regular post option would save me enough to buy an additional droid. It's a risk, but one I think I'd be willing to take.

When you contrast it against parcels sent via AliExpress or DX they do include a tracking number which would at least help point the blame at the appropriate entity (=postal service)
User avatar
Cooper
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am
Location: The Netherlands
languages_spoken: english, dutch, some german and french if pushed
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2 + 16GB eMMC

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby ProsjektX » Fri May 16, 2014 2:25 am

I have to agree with everyone else here, please add an option for normal postal services, Korea Post. You could add an option of registered mail, for tracking, but I guess many people have patience for longer delivery times. It will for sure be cheaper than UPS/Fedex and most importantly, at least in my region, I would save around 100$ on the stupid and extreme customs handling charges of these courier companies. Still, UPS is probably worse than Fedex.

Up till now I've been lurking around here, but haven't ordered yet because I just don't want to pay these fees to the couriers...
ProsjektX
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 am
Location: Europe, north
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:07 pm

@Mdrjr
Yes in theory FEDEX will handle customs but not in the case of large developing countries, inhabited by ProsjektX and myself, where corruption is a big problem. I mentioned in an earlier post that professional couriers hand the case back to the customer as soon as customs start playing their games. So no point in using them.

Regarding The responsibility will then be entirely with the customer., in BOLD, please remember you have an intelligent customer base. All that is required to hand over responsibility is effective communication at the time of order.

I approached HK about my case because 1. The nearest FEDEX office is a 3 hour flight and 2. No proper documentation was provided by their sub-contractor of the massive charges.

I suggest 3 modes:

1. Customer uses HK arranged courier (But inform the customer if sub-contractors are used in his country.)
Significant HK responsibility because it is A. HK arranged, B. expensive, C. supposed to be courier (door to door and rapid).

2. Customer arranges pickup of the package from HK offices by his own courier.
HK Responsibility zero.

3. Sending by Korean registered post with optional insurance.
HK Responsibility to deal with Korean Post if package lost or with Insurance for if customer sends photo's of damage on arrival. HK Responsibility=Same as FEDEX. Although I am not sure if FEDEX insures the goods against damage?

Like ProsjektX, I cannot in good conscience order again unless I have the option 3, which allows me to lower or eliminate corruption fees. I wonder how many customers in these large developing nations are not ordering for these reasons. Developing nations would seem a good fit with HK - more inclined to Open Source, more inclined to employ the very cost effective SBC's from HK. Maybe HK are missing out on many people such as ProsjektX but you will never know until delivery choice is offered.

In researching this post I came across:
https://www.aftership.com/pricing
who perform, for all couriers and Korea Post:
Track all shipments
Notify customers
Tracking at your store
API Support


This would seem a very cost effective way of cutting down HK delivery issues and reducing HK administration costs (time on these issues).

In the next few weeks I wish to order a batch of SBC's. Please indicate asap if I will have any choice apart from the big players FEDEX, DHL etc that are useless to me.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mdrjr » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Note: all the text below is only my personal opinion. Does not reflect on Hardkernel opinion on this.

I was about to not even answer this after I read the first line.
You do realize that _I DO_ live in a HUGE 3rd world country with a STUPID HUGE corruption.
So all your argument is already invalid just based on my own personal opinion.

And about the the responsibility is from the customer. You clearly has no idea how it works nor you have the requires experience to know that what you said on that sentence is complete wrong.

1. We don't know if Fedex uses a subcontrator in your country.. We don't work inside Fedex to know how possibility it will handle every package to every country. Your request is complete pointless as I never saw ANYONE saying that.

2. Nope. Never.

3. Optional insurance? You contradict yourself.. sending something with a optional insurance to a 3rd world corrupt country ? Ugh?

You guys do understand that even if we add a option to send via regular mail _WITH_ insurance we aren't that Chinese company that you buy on ebay and we'll declare the proper price and value of the goods right?
You know that you'll probably end up paying your local fee's.


Sorry if I was too harsh on that.. but.. I do live in a 3rd world Country, I do have personal experience with corruption and my work is RIGHT NOW being affected because of that.
You guys are looking only at your point of view of an issue take a sec to look at the company's point of view as well.
One simple example? Fedex can help workout with custom issues. Some issue that even your local mail office won't help you and just return the package back to us (if this ever happens).
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:09 am

Hi mdrjr,

No harshness taken.

I am not sure what your indignation is about. The fact remains that developing countries have corruption issues in customs and major couriers REFUSE to help the customer with this, especially if the customer does not live in the capital city /point of entry. By stating such, I am not questioning your knowledge or experience.

On customer responsibility you state I am wrong, without giving evidence. What evidence do you have, that if HK customers were properly informed about Korean Post (if offered) that large numbers of them would start complaining and affecting HK's bottom line (profit)? It seems the bottom line is being affected by those who fail to order because they worry about goods sent by major courier being the honey pot for corrupt customs. Standard registered post can never be a honey pot due to volume.

1. If you don't know this information, just ask FEDEX. HK is a major customer.
2. Why not? It is standard practice for many vendors.
3.Insurance is optional because it is a function of risk. For a shipment of low value, insurance may not be worthwhile.

Fees and duties is a red herring. The issues are: 1.cost of shipment compared to value of goods, and 2. Reducing the risk of encountering customs corruption.

I AM considering HK's profitability. By offering additional delivery options, more customers will be attracted, increasing profitability.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mdrjr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:44 am

nobicycle! great!

Let me expose my own experiences :)

First my indignation isn't over you or anyone else requesting this. Its solely about my county and its corruption and stupid high importing taxes (~100%).
It gets 10 times worst because I need what's been hold there to work. I'm not importing cheap phone from china or whatever.

Fedex for me is being extremely kind and being very helpful in order to get with all customs paperwork. They even provide instructions on how to fill certain papers. Its their one and solely interest to get this delivered.
Fedex has its own customs broker so its the best reason to use it. If something goes wrong they have experience and personal to deal with that (that costs money).

Just search on the forums. People open disputes on Paypal for their product doesn't being shipped on the next day. Even that on the page is stated that takes 7 days to ship. The human being ignorance is huge and shouldn't be dared.

1. I doubt that fedex will ever share this information.
2. We don't have a warehouse for shipping.. :( Having people over a company office isn't a nice idea really.. This can be a reality in the future.
3. I doubt that.. insurance is normally very cheap on this kind of service.. 1% of the value?
The problem here is simple. How many days you want to expect for your stuff? What if it doesn't get delivered? Who's the one to be blamed?
In my knowledge insurance should be claimed by the sender that would add extra personnel costs to handle this.

I do agree that having a low cost shipping option for CHEAP accessories is ok. But will cause headaches.
I don't agree in use low cost shipping for expensive goods. such as boards.

I'm on a middle of a customs issue right now. I promise that as soon as it ends I'll post (probably on my G+ account) all the paperwork and annoyance that I've had to go thru and that's with Fedex help.
Without their help knowing that I"m on a corrupt and stupid country this package would either have been lost already or stolen.
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm

@mdrjr
I am sorry about the stupidity and corruption you are having to face.
There is no single solution to delivery. In the West, corruption takes place at the high end of the food chain and customs typically stick with regulations. It seems in your land, FEDEX are a help. Where I am they are not because corruption is so blatant they rightly hand the case back to the customer. Other couriers are in the same position. Courier deliveries are a honeypot for corrupt officials, whereas normal registered post is not. Taxes can be dealt with directly with the registered postman, whereas with a courier delivery, the operating practice is to block the items at point of entry. Then one has to pay the corruption fee or risk something happening to the package.

That there is no single solution to delivery would imply diversifying the delivery methods.

Agreed about typical Ebay customers, but HK's customer base is on average way higher in ability to be logical and behave intelligently. This is why I believe explaining the benefits and responsibilities to them of registered post would serve both sides. HK - increased sales. Customer - lowered delivery cost. If in addition http://www.aftership.com was used, customers would have a common standard tracking an notification at their disposal, even for Korean Post. For 2700 packages, which I understand is HK's monthly average, the cost is 100 USD.

I think insurance generally has a minimum fee, that may be high relative to the cost of the goods.

The heart of the matter is as you state:
How many days you want to expect for your stuff? What if it doesn't get delivered? Who's the one to be blamed?


How many days - don't care - cost is the important factor since I will be ordering in batches. For many, the cost is the most important factor, but I venture that HK cannot see this in their statistics because lowered delivery cost has never been tried.

What if it doesn't get delivered? Registration and insurance. The procedure for HK is the same whether a courier is used or registered post. Is there an assumption that courier is more reliable than registered and insured post? My first experience of 2 orders in Asia gave a big advantage in cost and a draw in speed to registered/insured post.

Who's the one to be blamed? Simple. The courier/postal service if the item is not delivered. The insurance co. if items are damaged. But again, no difference for HK whether a courier or registered post is used. However with an intelligent customer base, a filled in claims form can be forwarded by the HK customer along with photos of the damage. HK admin then simply have to quickly peruse the documents and forward.

Best wishes
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mdrjr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:07 am

Courier deliveries are a honeypot for corrupt officials, whereas normal registered post is not
Wrong.
If you don't like your country taxes leave it or vote with care.

You don't know the average shipping to say that. And again. NO. Most of the customers are the typical eBay customer.
Search the forums and you'll see.

Having a courier to deal with insurance and lost you get it done with a simple phone call and they handle all the paperwork.
That's why a courier costs more because they will fight on your side to get your stuff done.

Doesn't matter what arguments you gonna use with me. I don't care. I'm a huge supporter of Couriers.
BUT. This as I said before, doesn't reflect Hardkernel policy. Since my position as a developer doesn't give me power to vote on such subject.
Its just me again :)
mdrjr
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm
Location: Brazil
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby nobicycle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 am

Hi mdrjr
Our discussion must halt because you repeatedly make counter statements without providing evidence to the facts I present with evidence.
Courier deliveries are a honeypot for corrupt officials, whereas normal registered post is not

I have stated my experience and that of associates that proves this.

If you don't like your country taxes leave it or vote with care.

You keep pushing this accusation about me and HK customers in general, whereas I have stated what actual issues are, and that they have nothing to do with tax avoidance.

I'll stop there.
nobicycle
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:10 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby roman333 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:30 am

odroid wrote:We are shipping 2~3K parcels per month to 130+ countries.
Over 95% take the Fedex and the others take the EMS because of limited Fedex coverage.
This shipping system was started from 2012-November and most users have been satisfied.
But still some users have problem of delivery time and extra costs.
...
We also considered normal mail post as an option which is only $6~8.
But it is extremely slow, untrackable, no insurance...
It seems to be a big fear of dispute against several hundreds of customers per month. Right :?:
Sometimes i buy something using aliexpress and I think, some dealers have extra contracts with postal services, because some packages are delivered on(after) my signature with low cost. I think they pay for this service 3-5USD. For ~20packages i did not had problem with delivery. Slow service with delivery time 20-40 days to Europe, but i dont care about delivery time, i care about money for corrupt politicians. :mrgreen: Another problem is VAT from price also from price with postal service. No VAT under 28USD in European union.

I'm planning Odroid & some accesories. There is 3 possibilities:
    - Now i will buy $72 for goods, $19 postal and VAT from this all. And extra VAT tax for VAT observance ~3€. Sum $112. Is $40+. One, odroid or 55% plus.
    - With chip postal service,i can buy 2 packages withouth VAT taxes. One package with "cheap board" cost $23 + $5 postal service(for example) and 18 for some extra graphic driwers. :P Second with accessories. $72 + 2 * $5 = $82. Only 14% plus.
    - Or in one package odroid + package $27.99, second accessories + package $27.99, the third eMMC + package $27.99 = 69 for goods, 15 for postal service(example). 22% plus.

In may country exist some years before 2 VAT taxes. For service 10%, for goods 25%. Mobile service operators had mobile phones for 1(€) and rest of price was in services. Muhehehe.
I will buy odroid, but with no taxes will be more fun. I have time months to find best way. :mrgreen: Someone will buy board with no taxes for this reasons.
roman333
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:37 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby keithphw » Tue May 31, 2016 11:55 am

Sad to hear the problems with corruption. In developed countries the regular mail is reliable and costs much less than FedEx. I'd be very happy with a regular mail option.
I'd buy more accessories and boards if there wasn't this large FedEx delivery fee.
keithphw
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:59 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c2

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby vbextreme » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:30 pm

I recently bought an Orange pi one more at a cost of ~10$, sent by registered letter with code tracing, guaranteed , arrived in 18 day.
I would have preferred a ODROID C0 , but I did not want to pay more taxes and courier company than the product itself .
Easy framework framework for c language
EasyGCC Color output of gcc
MagixCubic cli puzzle game
Bigt Google translate for bash with notify
vbextreme
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 pm
languages_spoken: english,italiano
ODROIDs: U3,IO shields,Wi-Fi

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby Pepes » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:05 pm

I also prefer standard post service than expensive couriers. I don't get it. I can ship something to HK about 6-7$ which will be trackable, but from them it cost about 15$. And sometimes their fees are killing it.
Maybe HK can cooperate with AliExpress or Amazon. As mention above my post Orange Pi shipping to my country cost 2$ from AliExpress.
Pepes
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:28 am
Location: Praha | Czech republic
languages_spoken: Czech | English
ODROIDs: C2 and U2
-->both without eMMC (overpriced)<--

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby Newfrequency » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 am

Bottom line it looks like hardkernel is genuinly sorry for the inconvienence.
I ordered my xu4 accidently from korea and it took 20 days. I ordered my accessories from ameridriod and it took 2 days with only a few usd shipping. I think a lot of it has to deal with where its shipping from.
User avatar
Newfrequency
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:06 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby mariakatosvich » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Even here where I live that doesn't happen, except when the customs officer decides to ask for paperwork. some dealers have extra contracts with postal services, Slow service with delivery time 20-40 days to Europe, but i dont care about delivery time, i care about money for corrupt politicians.
mariakatosvich
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:43 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:47 pm

huh? my post, I made in this thread some hours ago, is gone. what happened?
Hominidae
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby odroid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:10 am

Yesterday, there was a problem in the forum SQL database for a couple of hours.
We might lost 20~30 posts accidentally. Really sorry about that.
User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby oi0000 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:53 pm

I placed an order last week.
I only received email from Paypal for the confirmation of the payment;
not from hardkernel for the confirmation of the order.

I know dispatch takes place only once a week (but don't know which day).
I checked the status of the order
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/shop/ord ... search.php
but it does not show any update.
And, I didn't receive any email from hardkernel any update (i.e. shippment).

Today' the delivery came to my place but it was taken back because I was not
prepared to pay the import duty. (because I didn't know it was already shipped out,
and didn't know how much the duty was).
-- so I haven't got my Odroid yet in my hands.

I hope hardkernel sends order confirmation and shipment update;
if we knew the tracking number with the delivery company, we can expect the delivery date
and also inquire the amount of import duty.
oi0000
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm
languages_spoken: english

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby keithphw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:01 am

I also didn't receive an email from hardkernel after my purchase. But the package did show up.
keithphw
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:59 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c2

Re: Hardkernel losing the market over delivery?

Unread postby deadlift » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:18 pm

I have had the exact opposite of the OP's
FedEX got to me in less than 7 days. that's KR to AU, good to be close i guess.
i have an issue with the products. Owning both the c1 and c2+ i am really disappointed with the stock image stock hardware deployment, i dont think there's a lot of qc behind it.
i mean to say if i order a board - and peripherals, should it not all work as per the documentation?
it's always the community mopping up.
in my case, for example, standard HK ubuntu c1 ubuntu image, crashed consistently.
put HK stock android image on. no problem, except i have no idea how to drive android, and i shouldn't need to, ubuntu should have worked.

now - same problem c2+ stock HK image (eMMC shipped image) you think the doco follows with the hardware?
not even close, in fact i think it's for a different OS completely.

i am really impressed with the manufacturing standard of HK's odroids, i think they are genuinely legitimate SoC IoT whatever contenders for future and give consumers a real reason to choose them.
but without real qc and consistency, i think they might just be a bit of a novelty.
deadlift
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c rev 0.3 20141107


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest