Media Center for ODROID-XU XBMC (Cajita Edition)

Necrum
languages_spoken: spanish, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Media Center for ODROID-XU XBMC (Cajita Edition)

Unread post by Necrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Hello guys and girls!

I'm a graphic designer from Santiago - Chile, who really wanted a flexible, powerfull yet that would fit in a small box (cajita) and with low power consumption, media center for the family, but I couldn't really find something easy to use for seniors and average users.

After a lot of work, headaches and trial/error process (because I'm not a programmer, just computer savvy), I proudly present to you my first project for the Odroid-XU...
The XBMC Media Center for ODROID-XU (Cajita Edition! v1.1)

Based on the latest HGBLOB's Image with lots of fixes and settings for easier setup.

This is what I’ve added to the image so far:

V1.1 - March 8 to March 18, 2014
  • -Changed rtorrent startup script (and delayed it's start 1 minute to give time for networks to start)
    -Disabled ureadahead (not working).
    -Fixed slow boot due to incorrect settings /etc/network/interfaces
    -Fixed non booting problem by using "nofail" and "nobootwait" on /etc/fstab
    -Fixed some issues with volume keys and mute key.
    -Changed Power Button behaviour and mapping in Lirc to display shutdown confirmation dialog.
    -Fixed RPC2 connection issues (transdroid now works).

V1.0 (aka Failed Buggy) - Feb 24 to March 7, 2014
  • -Automatic governor switching when a video is started from "Movies" or "TV Series" section (ondemand/performance forth and back, playing video from "files" and "recently added" doesn't work yet)
    -Automatic plugged disks mounting through udisks (Thanks Jhinta for the reference!).
    -Changed remote control power button to show the shutdown menu instead of buggy-closing xbmc.
    -Changed syslog limit to 20mb and 4 rotations.
    -Fixed input permissions with udev for keyboard (text fields on XBMC).
    -Fixed wired and wireless network connection (with static or DHCP) and tweaked both for faster boot and broader support
    -Removed upower, pulseaudio-utils.
    -Removed .bash_history.
    -Add-ons manager is now working.
    -Fixed SUDO for the default user (odroid)
    -Mounted /var/log as tmpfs.
    -Secured ssh (disabled root account access)
    -Added SAMBA support (windows access to usb_hdd and also added access to root partition using default user/password)
    -Added rTorrent and ruTorrent services to use it as a seedbox (access through ssl using default user/password)
    -Fixed Power menu (Shutdown/reboot)
    -Fixed CPU temperature display inside System > System info > Hardware
    -Improved "Dirty regions" and network buffer in setting on advancedsettings.xml

TO DO:
  • -Fix broken/bugged XBMC menus, specially network related ones.
    -Improve video switching governor script for all videos (not just the ones under "movies" or "TV Series")
    -Reduce writes to emmc/microSD to the bare minimum (perhaps symlinking ~/.xbmc/temp to an external disk or tmpfs, the same for the "userdata" folder).
    -Improve boot time.
    -Remove duplicated mount points in udisks for usb_hdd.
    -Alsa issues regarding to buffer underrun and "File descriptor in bad state" (/dev/snd/*) this appears mostly when booting from MicroSD.
    -Use aria2c and a webGUI or XBMC addon to manage downloading/torrenting.
    -Make Retroarch work.

CAUTION: It is recommended to keep a (permanently plugged) USB disk to save downloads, I’ve attached my USB drive to the /media/usb_hdd folder.
If you want to use this feature then create the folders needed by rtorrent:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /media/usb_hdd/Downloads/{watch,session}
If you don't want to use one, REMOVE IT FROM FSTAB[/b]

If you KNOW how to edit FSTAB you can skip reading this section, if you don't and you want to set a permanent usb drive, then you need to replace the last UUID in /etc/fstab with the one of your USB drive by using:

sudo blkid
Find the label of the partition you want to use on your USB disk, should be under /dev/sda1 or similar and it should look like this:
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="BOOT" UUID="F335-39E7" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="ubuntu" UUID="33d21f95-3ec3-4b41-82ec-717177a6eefe" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Seagate Expansion Drive" UUID="06B86CB1B86CA143" TYPE="ntfs"
then you do:

sudo vi /etc/fstab
and replace the UUID:
UUID=9AF2BF43F2BF2285 /media/usb_hdd auto auto,nobootwait,nofail,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions
with this (press insert, replace then press escape and save using the key colon : and w )
UUID=06B86CB1B86CA143/media/usb_hdd auto auto,nobootwait,nofail,rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions
To resize the eMMC or the MicroSD to its full capacity, you just have to execute MDRJr's resize script which is already on the default home folder:

chmod +x resize.sh
sudo ./resize.sh
This image is far from perfect and and has some bugs, so if you have any question, suggestion, tip or you can help with TODO please let me know!

....and sorry for my english, that's all!

edit: 4/23/2014, due to bandwidth problems, I had to use MEGA instead op Dropbox for hosting the file.
Last edited by Necrum on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 am, edited 10 times in total.

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Re: XBMC Media Center for ODROID-XU (Cajita Edition)

Unread post by robroy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Nicely done!
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:56 pm

user and password for everything:
user:odroid
pass:odroid

replace xxx by your XU's IP.

SSH:
odroid@xxx:22

ruTorrent:
http://xxx/rutorrent

XBMC Remote:
http://xxx:8081

Transdroid: LINK
server ip: xxx
User name: odroid
Password: odroid
server type: rTorrent
Advanced Settings >
SCGI Mount point: /RPC2
Use SSL: Yes
Accept all SSL certificates: Yes
Last edited by Necrum on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 pm

robroy wrote:Nicely done!
Thanks for the confidence robroy, I hope this project grows stronger, I've learned a LOT in the process :D

Best regards

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 am

Very good :)
Made it sticky!

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am

mdrjr wrote:Very good :)
Made it sticky!
Great! Many thanks Mauro, and by the way I've just remembered that I left your disk resizing script on the home folder of that image :), I'll add that to the description.

Saudações a bela cidade de Curitiba, tenho boas lembranças de minhas viagens por lá (specially Oktoberfest :P)

hackerchamp
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU Lite
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi,

first of all, this is really an awesome image. XBMC work pretty fine and smooth.
But now I've got a little problem and need your help and ideas.

First of all, i've created my own kernel 3.4.76 (standard options + extra crypto keys that I needed) and compiled the exynos5-hwcomposer. After that I've installed XUBUNTU Desktop with lightdm so that i can switch between XBMC and a normal desktop enviornment if needed.
That has also worked pretty fine. So next step was migration to the Ubuntu Saucy Release. Upgrade done. XBMC works fine. lightdm seems to work fine to.

Only problem is, in the XUBUNTU Desktop environemnt I've absolutly no sound. When I start XBMC sound is working. In XUBUNTU i can't hear anything playing. VLC PLayer, rythmbos, youtube. Everything is silent. Also i can't find any audio settings in the whole desktop environment. When i try to start "aplay" inside a shell in the desktop environment no sound is played and it seems like the tool is hanging or waiting for something. But when i try to start aplay from a shell outside my desktop (for example from my desktop to my ODROID) then i can hear the sound played.

So only inside the launched lightdm environment the sound doesn't work. Outside the sound works.

I've already checked the system log but I couldn't find anything usefull there. The only thing I could find so far is, that aplay outside the desktop environment works. Inside lightdm it hangs and no sound is played. And also I couldn't find any audio options there.

Has anyone an idea what the reason could be or where I can find useful information inside the system to find a solution for the problem?

Update: It seems like the normal user isn't able to play sound. If i connect with my normal user to the shell and start aplay - aplay hangs to the infinity. If i connect with root and start aplay - aplay plays the sound. But if I make a su from root to my user, my user can use aplay normally and sound is available.

freeomega
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: odroid-xu

Unread post by freeomega » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:03 am

Are you using the default user (odroid) or you created another one? If so, did you make your user part of the "audio" group? You might also want to add it to the "video"...

To print the groups your user is currently in, open a terminal or ssh in and type "groups". I would make your current user part of the same groups that odroid is in.

For me, I have: "odroid adm tty dialout cdrom audio dip video plugdev netdev pulse admin input"

I hope this helps.

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:05 am

I've have renamed the original odroid user and checked that all group permissions are set correctly. He's member of all the groups you've listed.

The only thing I could find at the moment is setting of the $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR variable. It is set to "/run/user/1000" (that's his user_id). The root user uses "/run/user/0" and also if I switch from root to my odroid user the variable is set to "/run/user/0". With this variable i can start aplay and can hear sound from my system. Also if I connect directly with my odroid user and change the variable to "/run/user/0" the odroid user can start aplay with sound output.

This is pretty confusing -_-

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 am

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but you can sort some groups misconfigurations by using:

sudo grpck -r
You are using alsa with Xubuntu, right? Check /etc/asound.conf in this image for more info about how hgblob got sound working.

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, I've run grpck and fixed all error. No improvement.
Checked the asound.conf and copied it from the original source. No Improvement.
But your idea with "alsa" was good. Purge of the packages "alsa-base" and "pulseaudio" + reinstall of "alsa" - Sound is back :)
Seams like some configuration or package made the trouble.

Now XBMC and XUBUNTU runs perfectly and the whole system is running with the actual sources. Pretty Cool :)

Thanks for the help

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

hackerchamp wrote:Now XBMC and XUBUNTU runs perfectly and the whole system is running with the actual sources. Pretty Cool :)

Thanks for the help
I'm glad to help in any way I can :)

And if anyone is willing to help with some testing or cleaning/coding or willing to add anything worthy to this mediacenter image, you're very welcome too :D

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:01 am

Yeah. I'm already trying to get retroarch running on the system. But so far it is pretty slow (tested a SNES games). Seems like it is only using one cpu core or has no hardware acceleration. But XBOX wireless controllers are working with "xboxdrv". At least that is working.

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm

hackerchamp wrote:Yeah. I'm already trying to get retroarch running on the system. But so far it is pretty slow (tested a SNES games). Seems like it is only using one cpu core or has no hardware acceleration. But XBOX wireless controllers are working with "xboxdrv". At least that is working.
Nice! How did you make it work under XBMC?

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:37 am

Don't think he made it work under XBMC, but under X11.

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Jupp. It's running under X11 at the moment. First of all I just want that everything is running (wheather in XBMC or X11). After that I'll may try to get everything working inside XBMC.

Got Retroarch, Ultrastar/performous and Amazon Instant Video on my task list. So there's a lot to do :)

silverman
ODROIDs: XU Lite

Unread post by silverman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 am

Hi,
Was very excited to get my XU Lite last night. Was looking for an upgrade for my RASPMBC.

I had hblob's downloaded on the laptop, so wrote it on an SD card and booted ok. Came across your image today. Downloaded and wrote on the SD card but it wouldnt boot. Its stuck on the RED LED. One thing i noticed. Please forgive if i am wrong, a complete noob to ODROID. There are 2 files on the image file - 0.fat and 1.img. I had written the 1.img to the SD card. Am i doing it right?

I had some more questions
- on HGBLOBs image, CEC wasnt supported. I used the kernel-update script, but the kernel version still stayed on 3.4.67 - Nov 23. No idea why! Does your image use the same kernel or a recent one? It would be helpful if there was CEC support.
- has someone managed to run Logitech Media Server running on ODROID (maybe the wrong thread to ask). I used to run XBMC and an LMS on my RaspPi and would like to do the same on the XU Lite.

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

There are 2 partitions on the linux image - /boot and /
Usually an image contains both (like hgblob's image). I think this image comes with them in different files, so you need to write both. Maybe Necrum can provide some addresses as well where to write them.

EDIT: if you want to be up-to-date with XBMC and also have CEC, you can try http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4073 - it comes with sources and you can git pull & compile the latest XBMC nightly.
Be sure to resize the partition after install, as I have created it to fit a 4GB sdcard. (It's very minimal, so it has no desktop environment installed, just basic command line tools and xbmc)

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 pm

silverman wrote:There are 2 files on the image file - 0.fat and 1.img. I had written the 1.img to the SD card. Am i doing it right?
Hi silverman, you need to decompress the image either by using "gunzip filename.gz" or "gzip -d filename.gz" from any linux distro, there should be only one file inside, the gz file is the img file itself, just compressed, so when you use gunzip on the "gz" file should dissapear and a "img" file with the same name should take its place. After that you can use "dd if=filename.img of=/path/to/microSD"
silverman wrote: on HGBLOBs image, CEC wasnt supported. I used the kernel-update script, but the kernel version still stayed on 3.4.67 - Nov 23. No idea why! Does your image use the same kernel or a recent one? It would be helpful if there was CEC support.
CEC isn't working right now, maybe on the next release (I can't make this work yet), and I've also noticed the kernel-update problem, maybe mdrjr could give some hints about how to solve this problem. (also noticed initrd.img-3.4.75 is located on the /boot folder but is not used, here is the log of kernel-update script).
silverman wrote: has someone managed to run Logitech Media Server running on ODROID (maybe the wrong thread to ask). I used to run XBMC and an LMS on my RaspPi and would like to do the same on the XU Lite.
HGBLOB image already has implemented Android media server on his image, I've tested streaming 1080p (using dlna ofcourse) and seems to work as expected, is enabled by default on this image (you can enable/disable it on XBMC), the only downside seems to be that you can't use subtitles or alternate audio streams.

silverman

Unread post by silverman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks memeka. I shall give Ubuntu 14.04 a try. Maybe I would also suceed installing LMS on it. I am keen on getting LMS as it supports multi room audio syncing.

thanks Necrum. I'll re-write the SD card and will let you know how it goes. I too tried to install libcec as in the post but /dev/CEC wasnt present. As mdrjr mentions in the post, we need to have the latest kernel as of 12/12/13 with CEC support.
Same with the kernel update script, 3.4.75 is there in the /boot but a uname -r still shows the old kernel version. 3.4.67
As above, i am keen on getting LMS working because of the multi room audio I have. I've found an online resource to compile LMS, will try that tonight.

silverman

Unread post by silverman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 am

Hi,
Glad to inform that i have managed to boot from your image. Still trying to install LMS.
Looking forward to your update with the latest kernel and CEC support.

Thank you..

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:10 am

I've found a way to make the kernel-upgrade script to work, I will do some changes to the default paths of this image, in the meantime you can do this to make it work
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 792#p34792

EDIT: I've got some good news.

silverman

Unread post by silverman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:01 pm

wow, you've managed to get CEC to work.
I tried installing libcec (from http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2973).

it still shows 'cant open /dev/CEC'. What am I missing??v :(

EDIT

root@homeserver:/home/odroid/libcec# sudo cec-client
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 2.1.3
no serial port given. trying autodetect: 
 path:     /dev/CEC
 com port: Exynos

opening a connection to the CEC adapter...
DEBUG:   [             166]	unregistering all CEC clients
DEBUG:   [             167]	Broadcast (F): osd name set to 'Broadcast'
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [             167]	could not open a connection (try 1)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            1167]	could not open a connection (try 2)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            2168]	could not open a connection (try 3)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            3169]	could not open a connection (try 4)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            4170]	could not open a connection (try 5)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            5171]	could not open a connection (try 6)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            6172]	could not open a connection (try 7)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            7173]	could not open a connection (try 8)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            8174]	could not open a connection (try 9)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            9175]	could not open a connection (try 10)
NOTICE:  [           10176]	connection opened
ERROR:   [           10176]	could not start CEC communications
unable to open the device on port Exynos
and i have CEC

root@homeserver:/home/odroid/libcec# ll /dev/CEC
crwxrwxrwx 1 root video 10, 243 Mar 27 22:23 /dev/CEC
and yes, I updated the kernel, installed LMS and happily streaming from the XU . its a huge improvement from the RasPi system, as expected, much faster :D

Jhinta

Unread post by Jhinta » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:55 am

silverman wrote:wow, you've managed to get CEC to work.
I tried installing libcec (from http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2973).

it still shows 'cant open /dev/CEC'. What am I missing??v :(

EDIT

root@homeserver:/home/odroid/libcec# sudo cec-client
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 2.1.3
no serial port given. trying autodetect: 
 path:     /dev/CEC
 com port: Exynos

opening a connection to the CEC adapter...
DEBUG:   [             166]	unregistering all CEC clients
DEBUG:   [             167]	Broadcast (F): osd name set to 'Broadcast'
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [             167]	could not open a connection (try 1)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            1167]	could not open a connection (try 2)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            2168]	could not open a connection (try 3)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            3169]	could not open a connection (try 4)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            4170]	could not open a connection (try 5)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            5171]	could not open a connection (try 6)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            6172]	could not open a connection (try 7)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            7173]	could not open a connection (try 8)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            8174]	could not open a connection (try 9)
Can't open /dev/CEC!
ERROR:   [            9175]	could not open a connection (try 10)
NOTICE:  [           10176]	connection opened
ERROR:   [           10176]	could not start CEC communications
unable to open the device on port Exynos
and i have CEC

root@homeserver:/home/odroid/libcec# ll /dev/CEC
crwxrwxrwx 1 root video 10, 243 Mar 27 22:23 /dev/CEC
and yes, I updated the kernel, installed LMS and happily streaming from the XU . its a huge improvement from the RasPi system, as expected, much faster :D
i think your simply missing a cec supported kernel or device , aka lcd tv with cec support

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:20 am

My guess is that you have XBMC running, right? what happens when you do

sudo stop xbmc
and then run cec-client?

robroy
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by robroy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:26 am

IIRC, the CEC library is also hard-coded to use HDMI1, but this may have changed recently.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)

silverman

Unread post by silverman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:16 am

Necrum wrote:My guess is that you have XBMC running, right? what happens when you do

sudo stop xbmc
and then run cec-client?
Yes, that works. I stop XBMC and run cec-client, that works. I wanted CEC to worl with XBMC, stopping it doesnt help :)
Start it again and cec-client doesnt work again. The TV remote doesnt respond at all. I can see CECTester connected to the TV (in the TV menu).

How do I make XBMC and CEC work together?

silverman

Unread post by silverman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:17 am

robroy wrote:IIRC, the CEC library is also hard-coded to use HDMI1, but this may have changed recently.
Hi Rob,
Am sorry, I am very new to odroid so doesnt really understand this. How does hard-coded to use HDMI1 make a difference?

EDIT - you mean the HDMI1 port on TV? I tried that too but its not responding.

Necrum

Unread post by Necrum » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:02 am

silverman wrote:How do I make XBMC and CEC work together?
If you look closely, XBMC is already using CEC

fuser /dev/CEC
that should output something like this
/dev/CEC: 2190
then we see what process is using that id

ps 2190
That outputs the process that is locking /dev/CEC
2190 ? SLl 91:12 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone
Right now i'm trying to figure out how to make XBMC to recognize CEC input, perhaps I need to recompile XBMC because the Settings > Sysyem > Input devices > Peripherals section is grayed out, but I don't have enough knowledge about how to do that just yet. I'm not a TI related professional after all, I'm just savvy with computers. :roll:

Oh and what Robroy said is that the current kernel implementation of CEC, may only work with HDMI1, but I've tried with HDMI3 with mixed results (seems to work once, if I try again it doesnt work).

echo "p 0 3" | cec-client -sf -s
NOTICE: [ 4692] setting HDMI port to 3 on device TV (0)
DEBUG: [ 4692] Recorder 1 (1): physical address changed from 1000 to 3000
DEBUG: [ 4693] << Recorder 1 (1) -> broadcast (F): physical adddress 3000
TRAFFIC: [ 4693] << 1f:84:30:00:01
TRAFFIC: [ 4830] >> 1f:84:30:00:01
DEBUG: [ 4830] >> Recorder 1 (1) -> Broadcast (F): report physical address (84)
DEBUG: [ 4830] ignore physical address report for device Recorder 1 (1) because it's marked as handled by libCEC
TRAFFIC: [ 22476] >> 0f:87:00:e0:91
DEBUG: [ 22476] >> TV (0) -> Broadcast (F): device vendor id (87)
TRAFFIC: [ 22632] >> 01:00
DEBUG: [ 22633] >> TV (0) -> Recorder 1 (1): feature abort ( 0)
TRAFFIC: [ 40424] >> 0f:87:00:e0:91
DEBUG: [ 40424] >> TV (0) -> Broadcast (F): device vendor id (87)
TRAFFIC: [ 40579] >> 01:00
DEBUG: [ 40579] >> TV (0) -> Recorder 1 (1): feature abort ( 0)
TRAFFIC: [ 44271] >> 01:44:44
DEBUG: [ 44272] >> TV (0) -> Recorder 1 (1): user control pressed (44)
DEBUG: [ 44272] key pressed: play (44)
DEBUG: [ 44272] making Recorder 1 (1) the active source
DEBUG: [ 44272] TV (0): power status changed from 'unknown' to 'in transition from standby to on'
NOTICE: [ 44272] >> source activated: Recorder 1 (1)
TRAFFIC: [ 44341] >> 01:45
DEBUG: [ 44341] >> TV (0) -> Recorder 1 (1): user control release (45)
DEBUG: [ 44341] key released: play (44)
TRAFFIC: [ 44879] >> 01:44:44
Edit: nonetheless the TV shows the device location as if it were on HDMI1, even when the TV input selected (and rendered) is at HDMI3. (could be just my TV)

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:46 am

It's acting like HDMI 1.
You can change the port by modifying the source code in libcec and recompiling.
And yes, you need to recompile xbmc with cec support.

netphantm
languages_spoken: english german romanian
ODROIDs: U2 XU

Unread post by netphantm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:55 am

nice one.
I have a question: how do I get my mouse (logitech performance MX) to scroll? I've had another XBMC image on which the mouse did scroll ok, but on this one and on hgblob's image it won't :(
another thing is I have to boot w/ the keyboard (apple alu with logitech receiver/mouse) plugged in. If I plug them in after boot, they don't work. strangely enough, CTRL+ALT+DEL works either way :)
greetings

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:43 am

I have the apple alu as well, with apple mouse (usb).
the apple mouse is plugged into the keyboard (the keyboard has usb hub).
when booting, either mouse or keyboard wont work and there are lots of error messages in kernel log. the problem is with the hub in the keyboard.
if, however, i boot JUST with the keyboard plugged, and then plug the mouse after system is booted, it works fine.
you can try also to remove the mouse receiver, unplug the keyboard, plug it back to another USB port on the odroid, and then plug the receiver.
but booting just with the keyboard then attach the receiver should work best.

netphantm
languages_spoken: english german romanian
ODROIDs: U2 XU

Re: Media Center for ODROID-XU XBMC (Cajita Edition)

Unread post by netphantm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:30 pm

I don't have a problem with the keyboard hub, it works with the mouse receiver plugged in it's hub. the problem is that the keyboard and mouse do not work if they are plugged after the system is up. even if I unplug them after the system started and recognized them correctly and plug them back in, they stop working (even if plugged in separate ports). another thing is the mouse doesn't scroll. the scroll doesn't work on hgblob's image as well.
I don't have these two problems on android with XBMC installed. there I can plug/unplug the mouse and keyboard and they still work, so does the scrolling.

jskusk
languages_spoken: english, danish, german, swedish, norwegian
ODROIDs: odroid-xu with 16 gb emmc

Unread post by jskusk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:37 am

And yes, you need to recompile xbmc with cec support.
Which xbmc repository is recommended for this image? E.g. is https://github.com/Owersun/xbmc okay?

What about the configuration. Any particular settings I should notice except:
--build=armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi --host=armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi --enable-xrandr -with-platform=samsung-exynos --enable-exynos5 --enable-non-free --enable-neon --enable-cec

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:00 am

github.com/mdrjr/xbmc - Frodo and Gotham branches are updated.

./configure --enable-exynos5 --disable-x11 --enable-alsa --disable-pulse --enable-libcec --enable-neon --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --enable-ccache --enable-gles --enable-non-free --disable-gl --disable-vdpau --disable-vaapi --disable-crystalhd --disable-openmax --disable-joystick --disable-rsxs --disable-projectm --disable-fishbmc --disable-nfs --disable-afpclient --disable-dvdcss --disable-optical-drive --disable-libbluray --enable-texturepacker --with-platform=hybris --with-cpu=cortex-a15 

jskusk

Unread post by jskusk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:27 pm

github.com/mdrjr/xbmc - Frodo and Gotham branches are updated.
Thank you. But i get a compiling error for Frodo.

git clone http://github.com/mdrjr/xbmc
cd xbmc
git checkout -b frodo_local origin/Frodo
git branch -a --> shows that I'm in * frodo_local

./bootstrap
./configure --enable-exynos5 .... --with-platform=hybris --with-cpu=cortex-a15 | tee configure_output.log

CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDTSCorrection.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Edl.o
AR      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDPlayer.a
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDCodecUtils.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDFactoryCodec.o
In file included from DVDFactoryCodec.cpp:46:0:
Video/DVDVideoCodecHybris.h:32:52: fatal error: hybris/media/media_compatibility_layer.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [DVDFactoryCodec.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDCodecs.a] Error 2
Any idea why?
Attachments
configure_output.log
configure_output.log
(38.45 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

jskusk

Unread post by jskusk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:23 pm

And some hybris libs are installed.

odroid@odroidxu:~/sources/xbmc$ dpkg --list | grep hybris
ii  libhybris                        0.1.0+git20131020-odroidxu                 armhf        Allows to run bionic-based HW adaptations in glibc systems - libs
ii  libhybris-dev                    0.1.0+git20131020-odroidxu                 armhf        Development headers and libraries for libhybris
ii  libhybris-test                   0.1.0+git20131020-odroidxu                 armhf        Allows to run bionic-based HW adaptations in glibc systems - tests
ii  libhybris-utils                  0.1.0+git20131020-odroidxu                 armhf        Utilities to help working with the Android HW abstraction layer

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Got the same problem. He needs the package libmedia-dev. After that you've got the required file in the directory /usr/include/hybris/media/.

But this doesn't help so much. The next make will fail because there's a function which needs more parameter -_-

UPDATE: Opened the file with the failed function, replaced the lines with the function, restart the make process. Now it's running. But don't know what will working after it is finished :?

jskusk

Unread post by jskusk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:51 am

Dovh. I did noticed that the file was included in libmedia-dev, but forgot that I was using "raring". Upgraded to "trusty" and it works now. I get the same error as you:

CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecHybris.o
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool CDVDVideoCodecHybris::Open(CDVDStreamInfo&, CDVDCodecOptions&)’:
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:157:49: error: too few arguments to function ‘int media_codec_configure(MediaCodecDelegate, MediaFormat, SurfaceTextureClientHybris, uint32_t)’
   if (media_codec_configure(m_codec, m_format, 0) != OK) {
                                                 ^
In file included from DVDVideoCodecHybris.h:33:0,
                 from DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:25:
/usr/include/hybris/media/media_codec_layer.h:55:9: note: declared here
     int media_codec_configure(MediaCodecDelegate delegate, MediaFormat format, SurfaceTextureClientHybris stc, uint32_t flags);
         ^
make[1]: *** [DVDVideoCodecHybris.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/Video.a] Error 2
I changed line 157 in " xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp" to " if (media_codec_configure(m_codec, m_format, 0, 0) != OK) {" and hopefully I will not note the change. Also, I need to manual include "-lX11" in the makefile. However, now I get this error

LD      xbmc.bin
xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/Video.a(DVDVideoCodecHybris.o): In function `CDVDVideoCodecHybris::Open(CDVDStreamInfo&, CDVDCodecOptions&)':
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:(.text+0xc4): undefined reference to `media_codec_create_by_codec_type'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xbmc.bin] Error 1
But can not find any place where "media_codec_create_by_codec_type" is defined. Help!

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 pm

you are using stock libhybris that does not have 2 patches....
You need to uninstall libhybris and libmedia packages, then apt-get source libhybris and apply this 2 patches described here:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4073
Then compile libhybris => you will have 6 debs generated that you need to install (libhybris, libhybris-dev, libmedia, libmedia-dev, libandroidproperties, etc..)

alienc0d3
ODROIDs: Odroid XU

Unread post by alienc0d3 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:39 am

hackerchamp wrote:Hi,

first of all, this is really an awesome image. XBMC work pretty fine and smooth.

First of all, i've created my own kernel 3.4.76 (standard options + extra crypto keys that I needed) and compiled the exynos5-hwcomposer. After that I've installed XUBUNTU Desktop with lightdm so that i can switch between XBMC and a normal desktop enviornment if needed.
That has also worked pretty fine. So next step was migration to the Ubuntu Saucy Release. Upgrade done. XBMC works fine. lightdm seems to work fine to.

Only problem is, in the XUBUNTU Desktop environemnt I've absolutly no sound. When I start XBMC sound is working. In XUBUNTU i can't hear anything playing. VLC PLayer, rythmbos, youtube. Everything is silent. Also i can't find any audio settings in the whole desktop environment. When i try to start "aplay" inside a shell in the desktop environment no sound is played and it seems like the tool is hanging or waiting for something. But when i try to start aplay from a shell outside my desktop (for example from my desktop to my ODROID) then i can hear the sound played.

So only inside the launched lightdm environment the sound doesn't work. Outside the sound works.

I've already checked the system log but I couldn't find anything usefull there. The only thing I could find so far is, that aplay outside the desktop environment works. Inside lightdm it hangs and no sound is played. And also I couldn't find any audio options there.

Has anyone an idea what the reason could be or where I can find useful information inside the system to find a solution for the problem?

Update: It seems like the normal user isn't able to play sound. If i connect with my normal user to the shell and start aplay - aplay hangs to the infinity. If i connect with root and start aplay - aplay plays the sound. But if I make a su from root to my user, my user can use aplay normally and sound is available.
Can you share how you do the switch between XBMC and XFCE?

am try to do the the same thing, i didnt come up with any good solution yet.

hackerchamp
ODROID-XU4

Unread post by hackerchamp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 pm

The easiest way is to stop one service and the start the other one.

For example you want to run xfce:
service xbmc stop (if xbmc service is running)
service lightdm start

Otherway (lightdm is running)
service lightdm stop
ps -ef |grep exynos5-hwcomposer
kill -9 $PID of exynos5-hwcomposer
service xbmc start

It's important to kill the exynos5 service. Otherwise XBMC will not offer any output on the screen.

alienc0d3

Unread post by alienc0d3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm

memeka wrote:you are using stock libhybris that does not have 2 patches....
You need to uninstall libhybris and libmedia packages, then apt-get source libhybris and apply this 2 patches described here:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4073
Then compile libhybris => you will have 6 debs generated that you need to install (libhybris, libhybris-dev, libmedia, libmedia-dev, libandroidproperties, etc..)
memeka i have apply the patch and compile the lubhybris using your tutorial but i still get this error

odroid@odroid-server:~/myrepo$ dpkg --list | grep hybris
ii  libhybris                        0.1.0+git20131105-odroidxu             armhf        Allows to run bionic-based HW adaptations in glibc systems - libs
ii  libhybris-dev                    0.1.0+git20131105-odroidxu             armhf        Development headers and libraries for libhybris
ii  libhybris-test                   0.1.0+git20131105-odroidxu             armhf        Allows to run bionic-based HW adaptations in glibc systems - tests
ii  libhybris-utils                  0.1.0+git20131105-odroidxu             armhf        Utilities to help working with the Android HW abstraction layer

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/odroid/myrepo/xbmc-frodo/lib/libdvd'
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDCodecUtils.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecFFmpeg.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecFFmpeg.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodec.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDAudio.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodecCC.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodecFFmpeg.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDClock.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecLibMad.o
DVDCodecUtils.cpp: In static member function ‘static bool CDVDCodecUtils::CopyNV12MTPicture(YV12Image*, DVDVideoPicture*)’:
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:389:42: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:397:44: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:415:40: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:423:44: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:464:53: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:474:44: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:497:51: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
DVDCodecUtils.cpp:507:44: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDFactoryCodec.o
DVDClock.cpp: In static member function ‘static double CDVDClock::GetAbsoluteClock(bool)’:
DVDClock.cpp:67:70: error: unable to find string literal operator ‘operator"" PRId64’
make[1]: *** [DVDClock.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDPlayer.a] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecLibMpeg2.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecLPcm.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodecSSA.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodecText.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecPassthrough.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoPPFFmpeg.o
AR      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/DVDCodecs.a
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecHybris.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecExynos5.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/DVDOverlayCodecTX3G.o
CC      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/libspucc/cc_decoder.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecPcm.o
CPP     xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecExynos.o
AR      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Overlay/Overlay.a
CC      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/deinterleave_chroma.neon.o
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool CDVDVideoCodecHybris::Open(CDVDStreamInfo&, CDVDCodecOptions&)’:
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:84:7: warning: unused variable ‘ret’ [-Wunused-variable]
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp: In member function ‘virtual int CDVDVideoCodecHybris::Decode(BYTE*, int, double, double)’:
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:283:15: warning: variable ‘presentationTimeUs’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp: In member function ‘int CDVDVideoCodecHybris::GetOutputPicture()’:
DVDVideoCodecHybris.cpp:417:13: warning: unused variable ‘pts’ [-Wunused-variable]
DVDVideoCodecExynos5.cpp: In member function ‘void CDVDVideoCodecExynos5::PrepareOutputBuffer(int)’:
DVDVideoCodecExynos5.cpp:237:25: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
AR      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/Audio.a
In file included from DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp:1:0:
DVDVideoCodecExynos.h: In constructor ‘Exynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos()’:
DVDVideoCodecExynos.h:61:8: warning: ‘Exynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos::m_bVideoConvert’ will be initialized after [-Wreorder]
DVDVideoCodecExynos.h:54:19: warning:   ‘DVDVideoPicture Exynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos::m_videoBuffer’ [-Wreorder]
DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp:65:1: warning:   when initialized here [-Wreorder]
DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool Exynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos::Open(CDVDStreamInfo&, CDVDCodecOptions&)’:
DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp:75:1: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void [-Wreturn-type]
DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp: In member function ‘bool Exynos::CDVDVideoCodecExynos::SetupCaptureBuffers(int, int)’:
DVDVideoCodecExynos.cpp:201:52: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
AR      xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/Video.a

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 pm

DVDClock.cpp: In static member function ‘static double CDVDClock::GetAbsoluteClock(bool)’:
DVDClock.cpp:67:70: error: unable to find string literal operator ‘operator"" PRId64’
make[1]: *** [DVDClock.o] Error 1
This is not a libhybris error... maybe some missing lib?

alienc0d3

Unread post by alienc0d3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 pm

I have installed all the required library and still getting the same error..

anybody here can help with this error?

temptemp

Re: AW: Media Center for ODROID-XU XBMC (Cajita Edition)

Unread post by temptemp » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm

hackerchamp wrote:Hi,

Hey,
Can you shortly explain which packages you installed and how ro start the desktop?! Because I like to have the same with the "Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Dev Center" image from memeka

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Mon May 19, 2014 8:09 pm

alienc0d3 wrote:I have installed all the required library and still getting the same error..

anybody here can help with this error?
there are several packages created by libhybris, including libmedia0... make sure you install that one too...

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 pm

temptemp wrote: Hey,
Can you shortly explain which packages you installed and how ro start the desktop?! Because I like to have the same with the "Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Dev Center" image from memeka
probably...
1) sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
2) compile exynos-composer, it's in the kernel sources in some hardkernel folder. for XBMC, there is the Android version of exynos-composer running, which is not compatible... so you need to kill exynos-composer and the 2 android servers running, then start the linux exynos-composer, then sudo service lightdm start...
2) going back to XBCM, you need to exit X, kill linux exynos5-composer, start android exynos5-composer, then the 2 android servers, then XBMC.

temptemp

Unread post by temptemp » Thu May 22, 2014 1:10 pm

I've compiled exynos-hw composer with

./autogen.sh
./configure--prefix=/usr
make
makeinstall
How to stop Android servers?

ps -ax ¦ grep 'Android'
Shows nothing....

how to stop the Android exynos composer and Start the Linux one?

memeka

Unread post by memeka » Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 pm

temptemp wrote:I've compiled exynos-hw composer with

./autogen.sh
./configure--prefix=/usr
make
makeinstall
How to stop Android servers?

ps -ax ¦ grep 'Android'
Shows nothing....

how to stop the Android exynos composer and Start the Linux one?

android servers: ps -ax | grep /system
killall -9 mediaserver
killall -9 servicemanager

android exynos5-hwcomposer I think is:
/vendor/bin/pvrsrvctl --stop

then start yout exynos5-hwcomposer and startx.

hope it works for you, I did not test this :)

Return to “Ubuntu”