Shinobi.video or ffmpeg keeps crashing my HC2

dchang0
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4Q, two HC2 in GlusterFS cluster

Shinobi.video or ffmpeg keeps crashing my HC2

Post by dchang0 »

I've been running Shinobi.video for a while now and seeing this problem happen every so often where the HC2 will just become completely unresponsive maybe once every two weeks.
It looks like it's powered on but nothing's going on.

I do not have UART console output (can't easily get a computer hooked up). The system log doesn't reveal anything useful.

I do have a screenshot of the nmon resource graphs from the last time it froze. CPU was not maxed--it was about 33% util. RAM was not maxed--Free MB was 331.6MB.
There were a bunch of ffmpeg processes, five of them when there should only be two (one per camera).

I did manage to figure out that when more than two ffmpegs show up, they appear to be children spawned to use shared memory for some purpose.

Anybody else having this problem?

Alternately, if anyone can recommend a reliable NVR other than Zoneminder (didn't capture any video at all) or Shinobi (captures video but crashes), I'd appreciate it. I don't particularly care what NVR I use so long as it's super reliable and can run on the HC2.

Thanks in advance!

dchang0
ODROIDs: XU4Q, two HC2 in GlusterFS cluster

Re: Shinobi.video or ffmpeg keeps crashing my HC2

Post by dchang0 »

I gave up on Shinobi.video and uninstalled it. It was creating core dumps and locking up my HC2 repeatedly.
When it was working, ffmpeg was maxing out one CPU core, driving the temperature up to 79deg C around the clock.

I suspect that Shinobi calls ffmpeg in a very inefficient way.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Shinobi.video or ffmpeg keeps crashing my HC2

Post by mad_ady »

Are your cameras h264? It may be more stable if they run in mjpeg mode, though recordings take up more space

Return to “Issues”