Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Talking about OS and emulation core development
notime2d8
languages_spoken: english

Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Unread post by notime2d8 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:56 am

I've been trying to bring it up for a couple of weeks now and failing hard. Partially because I couldn't decide on a Android source. I went from the Rockchip 8.1 sdk -> Rockchip 9.0 sdk -> ASOP P -> Lineage 16 -> lineage 17.1 -> ASOP Q -> and now I'm back on Rockchip android 9 sources. Android Q and Lineage 17.1 build times are too long and both don't allow you to restart builds. I kept having to delete my output folder and start from the beginning 5+ hours on my laptop. Android 9 lets me pick up were it error'd at and continue or pick up any changes and continue, so I'm using android 9. If/when i get it started i'll move back to Lineage 16.

So with all of the versions I can get to the android console. I tried the android mail G31 drivers and Hikey G71 Mali drivers....hoping one would magically start....nah

I can't get logcat to output to the serial port i tried this in my init.rc file

service logcat /system/bin/logcat -v threadtime -f /dev/kmsg

But that didn't work. I can start logcat from android console but can't make out any errors due to the small screen size and fast scrolling. I'm going to order a USB Ethernet adapter and try adb over Ethernet next. No usb OTG or ADB is holding up my progress and has me flying blind. I'm either really close or really far away.

Has anybody made any progress or need info/files to get started?

Edit: Added my last serial log
Attachments
soutput.txt
(179.92 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Anybody working on Android for the Odroid-Go A?

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Good luck in your endeavours!
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
notime2d8 (Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 am)

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 am

I used my cam to record the screen with logcat running and found the issue with graphics not starting I'm getting this error:

E hwc-drm-resources: Failed to set atomic cap -1

Followed by:

E hwcomposer-drm: Can't initialize Drm object -1
E ComposerHal: failed to open hwcomposer device: operation not permitted

Then Android hardware composer crashes and then this loops. So it's either my kernel not allowing "atomic to be set" ... Or libdrm.... Or hwcomposer. I want to use a newer version of hwcomposer but rockchip has so many edits to their version and it's hard to tell what's needed for what.

Going to look at the kernel... Then update libdrm... Then update hwcomposer.... One of these should get me closer .. 🤔
If I say something that sounds smart or like i know what i'm talking about....i'm faking it.

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Think I'm getting closer.... All of the graphics parts are loading but something is crashing surfaceflinger....really need to figure out something for logs. Still waiting for my USB Ethernet to come in.

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

Kinda irritated that Rockchip source doesn't work and that there are no sources for an android 9 device with a px30 or rk3326. Also what's causing the crash is no hwcomposer...i need to either write one.....or go back to trying to get the rockchip hwcomposer_drm and gralloc_drm working.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 pm

Really appreciate sharing your Android OS development progress. :D

BTW, why do you want to run Android on the OGA? Is there any specific reason?
Since it has a relatively small and low-resolution display without touchscreen, the actual use cases will be very limited.

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:12 pm

odroid wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 pm
Really appreciate sharing your Android OS development progress. :D

BTW, why do you want to run Android on the OGA? Is there any specific reason?
Since it has a relatively small and low-resolution display without touchscreen, the actual use cases will be very limited.
Don't really have a good reason...using it to pass time mostly. But i also like the user interface, apps, and customization. And i think that it would be just as useful or more as an android watch that has a smaller display...? And i won't know until after i get it running if it's useful or not. But no opensource handheld is complete without an Android port...or attempt.
These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post:
mad_ady (Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:19 pm)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 pm

Yes! It is quite understandable.

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:44 am

Welp... I was so close to giving up. Cause I didn't see any end in sight and kept running into roadblocks... I'm also just a tinkerer with no formal training. And I failed again getting the rockchip 9 SDK working. But I took what I learned and tried lineage again and behold:

Lineage OS 16 running on the odroidgo-a. I still consider this a fail because although it seems to run well...it's running off of swiftshader, drm-hwcomposer, and default gralloc. I couldn't get anything rockchip to work. The power button, USB keyboard/mouse, and suspend/resume works. I'm going to fix the rotation, then look to improve graphics, then buttons, then sound, then wifi, then backlight....?

These users thanked the author notime2d8 for the post:
mad_ady (Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm)

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:48 am

I kept running out of ram, so no luncher to show... I removed a lot of things trying to get it to come up. Also the buttons and joystick kinda works...

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Great progress!

notime2d8

Unread post by notime2d8 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:42 am

Just a small update i got the orientation to work. I'm kinda salty though. I was in the weeds trying to figure out rotation. I updated surfaceflinger and it rotated weird.Then i updated phonewindowmanager.java...that worked but seemed wrong. Then I looked to see what the Nintendo Switch android project was doing and i found this in the boardconfig.mk : SF_PRIMARY_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION := 270 .....that's it. And it fixes the orientation wasted some hours. I could not find that searching anywhere online. The old build.prop "sf.hwrotation" no longer works for android 9.

Image]

Don't know what I'm working on next...I need to remove some services and apps to free ram and figure out why the launcher keeps crashing.

Return to “Platform development”