Out of Stock - Version 2?

shakaworld
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: MC1 Solo, HC1, HC2, XU4, XU4Q, N2, H2

Out of Stock - Version 2?

Post by shakaworld » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 am

Hi once stock is available again will this be a version 2 update taking in account issues that people have reported on the boards or will the Odroid-Go Advance be a restock of the current version?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Out of Stock - Version 2?

Post by odroid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 am

We are considering a couple of minor improvements.
But we can't make a firm plan yet since a few component suppliers in China are still in a suspend mode due to the coronavirus.

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance

Post by Etx » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 am

Wish to see ever the L2/R2 equipped version with type-c port (just for charging, can be made using 2 simple resistors) instead of archaic round connector, ESP-8266 matched gpio pins layout for easy wires-free soldering a wifi module and a dark-tinted pc case as an option to buy with. L2/R2 can be made by removing one pair of 1/2/3/4/5/6 button beneath the screen. I know these aren't minor improvements, but they're cheap and easily implementable.

Because your console currently is not a "one of dozens", as it was when Odroid GO was released, but is the "best on a market" plus best "price/value" device. Thus some flexibility in improving it will keep sales at a constant high level.

shakaworld
ODROIDs: MC1 Solo, HC1, HC2, XU4, XU4Q, N2, H2

Post by shakaworld » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Thank you - that will be great to see what the changes will be once you get things sorted out.

R4TPRIZE
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by R4TPRIZE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 am

Any chance you will sell an assembled and tested Odroid Go Advance?

R4TPRIZE

Post by R4TPRIZE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 am

If not a fully assembled device. Would you consider selling a front of case with screen and screen protector already installed!

Etx

Post by Etx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:31 am

Isn't it beautiful? Looks much better than regular transparent...
45.jpg
45.jpg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
These users thanked the author Etx for the post:
odroid (Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:22 pm)

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 am

R4TPRIZE wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 am
If not a fully assembled device. Would you consider selling a front of case with screen and screen protector already installed!
If you see this new LCD assembly video, it is not so hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFrKvPcjsE

Anyway, we consider removing three of six LCD hooks for easier assembly. We are checking negative side effects.
lcd_hook.png
lcd_hook.png (202.09 KiB) Viewed 2972 times

amigafan2003

Post by amigafan2003 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am

shakaworld wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 am
Hi once stock is available again will this be a version 2 update taking in account issues that people have reported on the boards or will the Odroid-Go Advance be a restock of the current version?
What issues? Mine is rock solid.

Etx

Post by Etx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am

odroid wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 am
Anyway, we consider removing three of six LCD hooks for easier assembly. We are checking negative side effects.
Come on, don't do this! They're acting like transverse stiffeners along the display module. If buyers unable to guess that they're able to use a nail file to shorten the clips, it's not because of housing is faulty or hardcore skills is needed! Simply make a video/picture manual about cutting them with side cutters for those who is unable to pass 3 easy clips during assembly. :(
Last edited by Etx on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 am

Etx wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am
odroid wrote:
Come on, don't do this. They're acting like transverse stiffeners along the display module. If it is inevitably, just make the locks 0,5mm shorter or make a video/picture manual about cutting them with side cutters for those who is unable to pass 3 easy clips during assembly. :(
Ok. We will just remove the small hook area on the edge.

Etx

Post by Etx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:03 am

odroid wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:57 am
I've edited my message. There is yet way simple method without molding matrix modification - NAIL FILE! DIY cut as much as necessary.
There's already excellent DIY method on ho to fix the backlight issue - using tape. This must be the same "FAQ method" on placing the LCD in case of problems.

andrewe1

Post by andrewe1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 am

odroid wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 am
We are considering a couple of minor improvements.
But we can't make a firm plan yet since a few component suppliers in China are still in a suspend mode due to the coronavirus.
Loving my OGA! The only minor improvements that would literally make me purchase another one would be the ability to charge with usb C or even micro usb (that DC jack feels very fragile!), and MAYBE a volume rocker.

Otherwise, thank you for this amazing device!

Sheae
languages_spoken: english, hungarian

Post by Sheae » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 pm

odroid wrote:
Have you considered a different screen holding mechanism altogether? I think the original gameboy use glued in screens. I'm not sure how well would that work for a DIY device tho.

Or maybe having rails/shelf that hold the display, so you just slide it into place? Or have a plastic cover that you screw on top of the (back side of the) display, that holds it?

PaulF8080
ODROIDs: go, go advance, xu4

Post by PaulF8080 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Since I am one of the people broke his LCD with his fat fingers, I am living proof that the new updated assembly method completely fixes the troubles. The side that you want to remove one hook isn't a problem because you slide under the hook with no need to bend the hook. The side you wanted to remove two hooks is fixed by rolling the side and moving the hooks out of the way. The new method is a miracle for me and my fat fingers. The person that figured out rolling the side is a mechanical genius.

shareef
languages_spoken: english, italian, spanish
ODROIDs: odroid-go, odroid-go advance

Post by shareef » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am

Is it possible to "roll" the side with the 6 buttons to the point that the hooks are enough out of the way that screen literally drops right in on that side? My screen has light areas around the edges (similar to the pics in this post viewtopic.php?f=196&t=37707&p=281662#p281448) so I now have a replacement screen on it's way and I just want to be sure I install it with the least chance of flexing or breaking it.

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Post by deerwings » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:57 am

odroid wrote:
lcd_hook.png
Removing the middle bottom hook would be better than removing the bottom two hooks. The third hook is the most difficult one to get a screen into, but once it is locked into place with the other two, the top three hooks and the screen itself should provide sufficient rigidity while making it easier to assemble.

Sheae

Post by Sheae » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm

shareef wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am
Is it possible to "roll" the side with the 6 buttons to the point that the hooks are enough out of the way that screen literally drops right in on that side? My screen has light areas around the edges (similar to the pics in this post viewtopic.php?f=196&t=37707&p=281662#p281448) so I now have a replacement screen on it's way and I just want to be sure I install it with the least chance of flexing or breaking it.
If you're talking about light bleeding through the shell on the left side, I'm pretty sure that happens to pretty much everyone. There is a post here with pictures on how to put black electrical tape on the edge of the screen which solves the issue. I don't think replacing the display would help with that.

Etx

Post by Etx » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:23 am

No, he is talking about backlight light spots if you're looking at the front of the LCD while it is powered on with a dark background. It usually happens when a module was overtighten, but also is possible if was poorly assembled at the factory. To verify that, i recommend everyone to turn on the display PRIOR TO sticking it into frame - connect the lcd, battery and turn it on naked. Make sure you won't short circuit any components at the board by putting a piece of paper between the lcd and the pcb.

For those who is voting on removal the latches here, thus weakening the twist resistance of the housing, attaching a guide for those who is unable to stick the display nor after viewing the first manual, but also after the updated one. The easiest possible solution on how to install the LCD.
1.jpg
1.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Because there is an illusory impression that this procedure is damn hard as hell. And we're concluding that it is difficult because of 5 out of 200? 400? or even more users did not succeed in such a simple procedure.

Rule #1 - this device is cheap BECAUSE it is DIY. And you're accepting a challenge to assemble it correctly. Unless the item was faulty out-of-the box, everything else is your full responsibility. There's no unlimited source of free replacement LCD's to train your skills till success. The procedure that was described in the updated video guide requires NO FORCE APPLIED TO LCD AT ALL! It will lay at the desired position by it's own! Just twist the case over the display.

Rule#2 - imagine the LCD as a potato chips, don't push it till it cracks. Give $10 to your local phone repair shop guy and he will assemble it easily without any faults.
Last edited by Etx on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

shareef

Post by shareef » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am

Etx wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:23 am
No, he is talking about backlight light spots if you're looking at the front of the LCD while it is powered on with a dark background.
Yes, exactly. Here's a pic someone else had posted (from the post I had originally linked in my comment):

It usually happens when a module was overtighten, but also possible if was poorly assembled at the factory. To verify that, i recommend everyone to turn on the display PRIOR TO sticking it into frame - connect the lcd, battery and turn it on naked. Make sure you won't short circuit any components in the board by putting piece of paper between the lcd and the pcb.
Yes, that's exactly what I was planning on doing when I install my replacement screen. I am going to power on the screen before I even install it to see if there are any light areas at all, because frankly I was shocked it even had light areas on it after I worked so hard to install it so extra extra carefully. I'm suspicious some of these screens are just bad from the factory and not a result of being flexed during install. The good news for me, is I bought my oga through Ameridroid - I emailed them pics and they happily sent me a replacement screen for no cost, they didn't even charge me for shipping.. I can't recommend those guys enough! https://ameridroid.com/
Give $10 to your local phone repair shop guy and he will assemble it easily without any faults.
Unless the screen is faulty from the factory, before it's even installed ;)

Anyway, my original question still stands: does anyone know if it's possible to "roll" the side with the 6 buttons to the point that the hooks are enough out of the way that screen literally drops right in on that side? I'm talking about 1:24 of this video where it shows the bending of that side of the case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFrKvPcjsE
Last edited by shareef on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

shareef

Post by shareef » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am

Sheae wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm
If you're talking about light bleeding through the shell on the left side, I'm pretty sure that happens to pretty much everyone. There is a post here with pictures on how to put black electrical tape on the edge of the screen which solves the issue. I don't think replacing the display would help with that.
As I said in my comment above I am not talking about that light bleed to the left of the screen.. BTW, I had in fact installed black electrical tape when I originally assembled it to address that very light bleed and it worked to remove the light bleed but when I powered it on and saw the light spots all around the screen I thought maybe the tape was putting pressure on the screen, so I disassembled everything to remove the tape with the hope the light spots would go away, but they didn't :(. At least I am getting really good at disassembling and reassembling it :).

Sheae

Post by Sheae » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:25 pm

shareef wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 am
Sheae wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 pm
As I said in my comment above I am not talking about that light bleed to the left of the screen.. BTW, I had in fact installed black electrical tape when I originally assembled it to address that very light bleed and it worked to remove the light bleed but when I powered it on and saw the light spots all around the screen I thought maybe the tape was putting pressure on the screen, so I disassembled everything to remove the tape with the hope the light spots would go away, but they didn't :(. At least I am getting really good at disassembling and reassembling it :).
I see what you mean. Btw I think the "light spots" are also called "backlight bleed". If you google the term, you'll see same happening on TVs and PC monitors. Up to a certain degree it's normal, every display has it other than OLEDs, probably the monitor you're reading this on has that.

Having said that, I do agree that the picture shows a severe case, and is probably faulty or overtightened.

Sheae

Post by Sheae » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:29 pm

shareef wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am

[...]

Anyway, my original question still stands: does anyone know if it's possible to "roll" the side with the 6 buttons to the point that the hooks are enough out of the way that screen literally drops right in on that side?

[...]
I did try the rolling method, since ETAPrime also suggested that even before the official updated assembly video, and to be honest, that shell is much more durable than I thought. I could barely "roll" it. It feels cheap plastic that could bend or break easily, but I had to put an uncomfortable amount of force on it to roll even a little, as I was afraid of breaking it. So I don't think that it would just drop in, even if you push the clamps a bit out of the way, like the updated video suggests.

shareef

Post by shareef » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:20 am

odroid wrote:
@odriod is this confirmed now that there will be a new version of the case (for the next run of product?). Or are there other screen mounting designs you are considering to lesson or minimize the pressure the case is putting on the screen that is causing the light bleed?
Last edited by shareef on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shareef

Post by shareef » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:41 am

Etx wrote:
For those who is voting on removal the latches here, thus weakening the twist resistance of the housing
I'm considering removing the latches entirely, because it seems they are too tight and causing the lcd to flex when mounted thereby creating light bleed on the screen. My concern though is if there is enough pressure from the pcb to hold the lcd in place so it isn't moving around.

Sheae

Post by Sheae » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:10 pm

shareef wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:41 am
Etx wrote:
For those who is voting on removal the latches here, thus weakening the twist resistance of the housing
I'm considering removing the latches entirely, because it seems they are too tight and causing the lcd to flex when mounted thereby creating light bleed on the screen. My concern though is if there is enough pressure from the pcb to hold the lcd in place so it isn't moving around.
I'm not entirely sure the PCB is even touching the back of the display. The latches holding the display are like 1-2 mm taller than the display itself, if those are touching the PCB, then the screen isn't (otherwise the PCB would be bent). Completely removing the latches I would assume cause the display to be able to move around. I think it would need some double sided tape around the edges of the display.

lordhardware
ODROIDs: U3
Odroid-W

Post by lordhardware » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:00 pm

I don't think asking people to file down a moulded device is a good solution.

If they are the ones making the moulds they can adjust the moulds.

In regards to glue, you need to be able to easily disassemble as well as assemble the DIY device, so the clips cannot be permanent, neither is glue a good solution.

A better solution, that is a good middle ground, would be a screen with a glued on cover that could slot into the front of the housing similar to the way a centre cap slots into a car wheel.

mitice

Post by mitice » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:49 am

This is my case of screen bleeding. I should note that i didn't apply any force to the screen during instalationImage

thkrmr
ODROIDs: odroid go advance

Post by thkrmr » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 am

mitice wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:49 am
This is my case of screen bleeding. I should note that i didn't apply any force to the screen during instalationImage
Backlight bleeding is entirely real and is caused by too much pressure from the clips holding down the screen. See the Issues subforum, backlight bleed thread. This really needs to be addressed by odroid. There's almost no bleeding if you take the display out of the shell and test.

Return to “General Topics”