Front housing broke my screen, buttons stick.

MillenniumEagle
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID GO
ODROID GO ADVANCE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Front housing broke my screen, buttons stick.

Unread post by MillenniumEagle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:59 pm

I have just received my Odroid Go Advance kit and I've had a lot of issues with the front housing of my kit in particular

First of all, the clips simply wouldn't allow the screen to snap into place. I studied the instructions carefully in both the instructional video and wiki page, but it just wouldn't go in. I spent quite a while trying to carefully snap it into place without applying too much pressure, and was eventually rewarded by the clips on the housing shearing off the metal back panel, while the rest of the screen snapped into place in front of it, breaking the screen completely. The clips on the front housing should not have the ability to pry apart the screen you are attempting to snap into place. And the fact that the clips were so stubborn that they wouldn't allow the screen to snap in until the back panel was sheared off is ridiculous. Not only didn't the clips flex properly, but they didn't even leave enough room for the whole screen to go in, just the front part of the screen.

This issue with the front housing was made even more obvious when I tried assembling the rest of the kit anyway. Everything else came together fine, but I discovered that a lot of buttons on the front of the finished product got stuck after bring pressed down, or came back up very slowly. This leads me to believe that the mold for the entire front housing was a bit off.

This really upset me, because I was really looking forward to trying out the ODROID Go Advance, and was willing to jump in and paying the high shipping price to get it as soon as possible from the people who made it. But in the end, I was left with a broken product that couldn't be properly assembled. I now need a new front housing, screen, and front glass for the screen.

Monkey
ODROIDs: Odroid GO Advance, Odroid GO

Re: Front housing broke my screen, buttons stick.

Unread post by Monkey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 pm

I had no problems with my kit.

When fitting the screen, you have to carefully flex the the case so that the screen drops into place. If you try to force the screen past the clips, expecting them to flex, you will break the screen. The clips should not move or flex in any way.

As for the buttons sticking, check that all the clips around the case are seated correctly. There are six clips in total. two on the top and bottom, and one on each side. The case should line up perfectly if you've fitted it corretly. Then put the four case screws in.

The only observation I've had is the SDCard is very snug, but that's probably a good thing.

MillenniumEagle
ODROID GO ADVANCE

Unread post by MillenniumEagle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:56 am

There is no possible way that the screen could simply drop into place. I had tried flexing the front housing, but it wouldn't move even close to enough to allow it through. Basically all effort was put into getting the housing to cooperate, rather than put any pressure on the screen. The difficulty I had was night and day compared to the video instructions that simply pushed the screen into place. There just simply wasn't enough room for the screen to go in on my unit.

Not that I should have to experiment this much with ways to coax the screen into place, anyway. There was no part of the instructions that indicated there would be any difficulty there. If there were proper procedures for a tight fit, they should have been noted. There are probably a lot of people receiving units like this that have had no experience with things like this at all.

Tremont
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by Tremont » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 am

The same thing happend to me, the metal caught on one of the clips, and the screen cracked. The buttons work fine though. I also sent an email to hardkernel about it, on February 11th, and received no response.

dmckean44
ODROIDs: odroid-go advance

Unread post by dmckean44 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:56 am

Tremont wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 am
The same thing happend to me, the metal caught on one of the clips, and the screen cracked. The buttons work fine though. I also sent an email to hardkernel about it, on February 11th, and received no response.
What kind of response are you waiting for? Order yourself a new screen.

notmuch83
ODROIDs: Odroid Advance Go

Unread post by notmuch83 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:56 pm

No problems here, it was very very snug but flex the case and took my time and the screen dropped in after a little fettling.

With the buttons I used a small files to clean up the casting edges they are all fine, I do however have some issues with the rubber buttons sticking from time to time.

hej.luxom
ODROIDs: Go, advance

Unread post by hej.luxom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:18 pm

Are you serious? I would expect them to replace the screen. Same issue I had, metal back came off from the screen, but was lucky enough not to brake the screen.
In the assembly they show no flexing of the front, but to push the screen in place. That is impossible with the clips there are. I have fixed my sticky buttons with some grinding.
Feels really a not well thought true, unfinished product.
:(
dmckean44 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:56 am
Tremont wrote:

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm

hej.luxom wrote:Are you serious? I would expect them to replace the screen. Same issue I had, metal back came off from the screen, but was lucky enough not to brake the screen.
In the assembly they show no flexing of the front, but to push the screen in place. That is impossible with the clips there are. I have fixed my sticky buttons with some grinding.
dmckean44 wrote:
Tremont wrote:
With a kit such as the OGA you assume some risk, your screen wasn't faulty when you received it and while assembling you broke it unfortunately. It no doubt sucks, you get the device and are excited to get it together and try it out only to have this happen. You can't really expect Hardkernel to replace things a customer breaks, if they replace your screen they have to replace every screen someone breaks.

hej.luxom

Unread post by hej.luxom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Why should hardkernel be different than any other company?

Yes, I would expect replacement if it brakes following the official assembly instructions. It's clearly badly designed.

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm
hej.luxom wrote:Are you serious? I would expect them to replace the screen. Same issue I had, metal back came off from the screen, but was lucky enough not to brake the screen.
dmckean44 wrote:
Tremont wrote:
With a kit such as the OGA you assume some risk, your screen wasn't faulty when you received it and while assembling you broke it unfortunately. It no doubt sucks, you get the device and are excited to get it together and try it out only to have this happen. You can't really expect Hardkernel to replace things a customer breaks, if they replace your screen they have to replace every screen someone breaks.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Perhaps as a compromise HK could consider selling pre-assembled units for people that like them but are not into DIY, though since assembly is a manual process I expect they would be more than $10 more expensive than the kit...

sharks

Unread post by sharks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm

My experience was similar. The official assembly video says to push it down, so I tried that. My screen stayed intact but the metal backplate became bent, which made it impossible to get it all past those rigid plastic clips.
So I ended up dropping the screen in as well as I could and leaving the backplate sticking out a bit, which luckily worked out. If you look at it from a top angle you can tell that it's bent in one corner, otherwise it's barely noticeable. I also had to file down the case around the power button a little so that button wouldn't stick.

dmckean44
ODROIDs: odroid-go advance

Unread post by dmckean44 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 am

There are no official manuals and instructions with DIY products, just guides. It's up to you to assemble your product and not break it. Consider this experience a lesson. A new screen is only $10 and you'll probably be more careful with it this time.
hej.luxom wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm
Why should hardkernel be different than any other company?

Yes, I would expect replacement if it brakes following the official assembly instructions. It's clearly badly designed.

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 pm
dmckean44 wrote:
Tremont wrote:

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm

The screen may be cheap, but shipping will not be. :(

hej.luxom

Unread post by hej.luxom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Plus import tax and handling charges.
Also, I would consider assembly instructions kinda official if it's on their own website.

I love the odroid go, have 4 of them, but the advance is a big letdown.

albinus
ODROIDs: OGA

Unread post by albinus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:58 am

They need to redo the assembly video. Guy literally shoves it into place, which I wasn't going to do, but he made it look so easy haha. I only mangled the aluminum cover, so not a problem really. If I had broke it, at least they are only $10.

Eh if you broke the screen it's your fault bud. If you wanted a DIY product you might wanna think about how fragile an LCD is.

MillenniumEagle
ODROID GO ADVANCE

Unread post by MillenniumEagle » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 pm

dmckean44 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 am
There are no official manuals and instructions with DIY products, just guides. It's up to you to assemble your product and not break it. Consider this experience a lesson. A new screen is only $10 and you'll probably be more careful with it this time.

There is no "be more careful next time." The fault is entirely on the manufacturer's end. If two pieces are designed to go together in a kit designed to be put together by the end user, with official guides that provide explicit instructions on how to assemble the kit, it is expected that the parts would actually go together as intended. There is no way to "be more careful" putting together a unit when it is physically impossible to put together the unit without breaking it. If one were to give a more honest response, it would be to "spend more money on parts and hope you get ones that actually work next time."

Also, you CAN'T order a new screen directly from hardkernel. Every single ODROID Go Advance part is sold out. You could order from another source, but you shouldn't have to do that just because you were delivered a faulty product. This also assumes that there was nothing else wrong with the unit, which is untrue; it was the front housing that damaged the screen, and reusing that front housing would unavoidably damage the next screen you try to install.

The fact that there is no way to get support for these units outside of the forums is unacceptable. You shouldn't have to soley rely on other forum members who can't possibly deal with your case just because you're hoping that someone from the actual company notices your post and responds somehow. I shouldn't even have to be talking to other forum members who are somehow believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was user error that caused the issue, probably just because they need to stroke their ego they somehow gained by putting together a simple kit without breaking it. That is something I should be discussing in private with a customer service representative. Unless the company somehow responds properly to these complaints, I will never EVER order from them ever again, and will hesitate to order anything they make from other sources, evem if those sources would take responsibility for replacing faulty parts. It is only fair that they warn current and future users about possible manufacturing faults, and replace parts for those who have been affected.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Sorry for late response since we don't work on weekends.

Anyway, please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a picture of broken LCD and URL link of this post.
They will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from our web-store directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor/reseller.

Return to “Issues”