Doesn't boot at all

robster
languages_spoken: english, hungarian
Has thanked: 0

Doesn't boot at all

Unread post by robster » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 am

Hi!

I have just purchased a ODROID-N2 4GB CoreELEC Edition. After inserting the given SDCard, it booted up perfectly. I have created an image file from Ubuntu 18.04.3 (MINIMAL IMAGES) downloaded from https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/ubuntu, but it does not boot at all. I have replaced the original SD Card, but that also failed to boot. Only the red led is on, but the blue has just a very short blink when I insert the power plug. Of course, I use the official power adapter bougth directly from Hardkernel.

Can you please advise how to solve this?

Thanks,

robert

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Doesn't boot at all

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 am

Can you try to flip the boot select switch that is in between USB port and eMMC card slot to "SPI" and power on to see if the blue LED blinks?

robster

Unread post by robster » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 am

Setting to SPI boot, it boots up the Petitboot. Turning off power, swtching back to MMC, it doesn't boot from either of the cards :(

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:39 am

robster wrote:Setting to SPI boot, it boots up the Petitboot. Turning off power, swtching back to MMC, it doesn't boot from either of the cards :(
Can you see the OS boot entry on the Petitboot screen when SD card is inserted slot? When SD card is attached and you are not able to see the boot entry, please do exit to the command shell from Petitboot and do run "ls /dev/mmcblk*". If you are not able to see anything, remove the SD card and put into your USB card reader, attach to USB port of your N2 if it shows the boot entry. If you can see the OS menu from the USB card reader, the SD card is fine.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
dnpp123 (Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:58 pm)

robster

Unread post by robster » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:15 am

Yes, putting into a USB card reader, I can see it from Petitboot and it boots from it, so the SD card is fine. Is the slot got broken after using a few days?

TimothyGaray
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-N2, ODROID-XU4
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by TimothyGaray » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 am

I am having the same issue on my new N2. I bought an XU4 and an N2 (from HardKernel). Bought two 128GB Samsung SD cards and the XU4 is working fine. The N2 doesn't always see the card. SPI mode there is no listing for /dev/mmcblk, MMC mode no blue light and doesn't boot at all. I've been putting the Ubuntu minimal image on the card and verifies fine. Re-imaged multiple times.

Dead giveaway: if I push down on the SD card slot when I turn it on then it will see the card and boot just fine (blue LED flashing and everything). If I let go then sometimes it will keep running and other times it will hang. Once it seems to be working then I try not to touch it at all or move it.

Card slot looks ok, doesn't appear damaged. Just apparently not making good contact or loose connection or short of some sort.

Same thing with and without the N2 case (I thought maybe the case would help support the card but still doesn't work and with the case on I can't push on it to make contact).

Power supply from HardKernel. Case from HardKernel. Latest Petitboot version. Emailed the odroid email address already - waiting for response.

Thanks!

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 am

TimothyGaray wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 am
I am having the same issue on my new N2. I bought an XU4 and an N2 (from HardKernel). Bought two 128GB Samsung SD cards and the XU4 is working fine. The N2 doesn't always see the card. SPI mode there is no listing for /dev/mmcblk, MMC mode no blue light and doesn't boot at all. I've been putting the Ubuntu minimal image on the card and verifies fine. Re-imaged multiple times.

Dead giveaway: if I push down on the SD card slot when I turn it on then it will see the card and boot just fine (blue LED flashing and everything). If I let go then sometimes it will keep running and other times it will hang. Once it seems to be working then I try not to touch it at all or move it.

Card slot looks ok, doesn't appear damaged. Just apparently not making good contact or loose connection or short of some sort.

Same thing with and without the N2 case (I thought maybe the case would help support the card but still doesn't work and with the case on I can't push on it to make contact).

Power supply from HardKernel. Case from HardKernel. Latest Petitboot version. Emailed the odroid email address already - waiting for response.

Thanks!
I have a few questions in other to figure out if your N2 has a hardware issue.
1. What's the version of Petitboot on N2? The stable version is 20191127 currently.
2. Please insert your Samsung SD card to USB card reader and attach to USB port, and boot from Petitboot if it shows the boot entry for Ubuntu minimal.
3. What's the exact product name of your Samsung SD card, or colour of it?

dnpp123
ODROIDs: N2

Unread post by dnpp123 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Hey there,

Same issue here. Hopefully I got it to boot using your technique of connecting the ssd card via usb stick, that's a start, thanks. I have a Samsung Evo + 128GB also (red, HSIII version), but the same problem goes with the default sd card supplied with the odroid N2 corelec edition.

The petitboot version that came with the odroid N2 was 20191213, not 20191127. Unsure why ?

So I tried to downgrade to 20191127 following those instructions : https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... grade_mode
But the petitboot doesn't detect spiboot.img in the boot partition ? It doesn't detect the sdcard at all. If I try to boot through the usb port via sdcard adapter with the spiboot.img, it just boots to the OS.

Unsure of what to do next to debug. The weirdest thing is that it boots fine with the default corelec image provided (that I have since erased...) so I doubt it's a hardware issue.

TimothyGaray

Unread post by TimothyGaray » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 pm

tobetter wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 am
TimothyGaray wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 am

Thanks!
I have a few questions in other to figure out if your N2 has a hardware issue.
1. What's the version of Petitboot on N2? The stable version is 20191127 currently.
2. Please insert your Samsung SD card to USB card reader and attach to USB port, and boot from Petitboot if it shows the boot entry for Ubuntu minimal.
3. What's the exact product name of your Samsung SD card, or colour of it?
I have the same Petitboot version that dnpp123 has... 20191213. That's what came on it.

The SD card is Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Full-Size Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM). Green & white. From Amazon.

I can try and boot to SD card in reader on USB slot later when I'm home (I hadn't thought of trying that). Currently it is working in the slot - I put the case back on and put the card in the slot and if I move it around a little bit then it will read it. As long as I don't touch it or move it then it seems to be working at the moment. I am currently booting in MMC mode.

My reasoning for thinking it was a hardware issue (micro SD card slot) is because when it doesn't work if I push down with my finger on the reader then it will work. After I put the case back on I found that I could put the card in and if it doesn't read it then I can pull it out a tiny little bit and then it will work and so far stay working as long as I don't mess with anymore.

I am content with watching it for a while and as long as I can keep it working then I'll hang on to it.

robster

Unread post by robster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm

There is something with the SD card slot for sure. If I put a small piece of paper above the SD card, it works perfectly, it can boot from the SD card :)
Attachments
20200217_153037.jpg
20200217_153037.jpg (289.46 KiB) Viewed 209 times
These users thanked the author robster for the post:
odroid (Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:02 am)

TimothyGaray

Unread post by TimothyGaray » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:51 pm

robster wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm
There is something with the SD card slot for sure. If I put a small piece of paper above the SD card, it works perfectly, it can boot from the SD card :)
Lol! That was exactly my next thing to try. I figured if I push down on it and it works then it must need some additional force to make good contact so I was trying to think "what could I shove in there and not break it but provide that support..." My first thought was to cut a piece off the packaging the SD card came in... seemed appropriate. :)

Thank you for this!

Return to “Issues”