next batch

jbach50
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid go, odroid xu4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

next batch

Unread post by jbach50 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 pm

was wondering when the next batch of odroid go advance kits would be available? had to wait til I had the money to order, and I see they are backordered

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: next batch

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm

We are importing several components (mechanical parts, connectors and battery) from China. But there is no clear prediction when they start working again due to the fast spreading corona virus.
So I guess we can sell it again two months later at least.

jbach50
ODROIDs: odroid go, odroid xu4

Unread post by jbach50 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm

oh ok darn, yeah wasnt thinking about the corona virus and all

dmprice79
ODROIDs: Go Advance

Unread post by dmprice79 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:34 am

It says these can be added to cart. Are they not on backorder anymore?

shareef
ODROIDs: odroid-go, odroid-go advance

Unread post by shareef » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 am

Someone else in another post mentioned that they ordered from "Shaka World".. looks like they still currently have stock as I type this.

https://shakaworld.shop/

kitkwomg

Unread post by kitkwomg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:14 am

odroid wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm
We are importing several components (mechanical parts, connectors and battery) from China. But there is no clear prediction when they start working again due to the fast spreading corona virus.
I placed an order on 8th Feb, is it gonna take two month too ?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:45 pm

kitkwomg wrote:
odroid wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm
I placed an order on 8th Feb, is it gonna take two month too ?
An order with who?

cutterjohn
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by cutterjohn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 am

might be for the best, the currently available distros are 'rough'... i.e. if you're buying it for an emulation handheld it's really not at all ready to roll yet... not sure what you'd buy it for otherwise, but...

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by deerwings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 am

cutterjohn wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 am
might be for the best, the currently available distros are 'rough'... i.e. if you're buying it for an emulation handheld it's really not at all ready to roll yet... not sure what you'd buy it for otherwise, but...
Yeah, the current reference distro has some kinks to iron out. crashoverride has said we may be looking at a week or so for a new distro image. Looking forward to it.

Only other image I've used so far is batocera, and all in all it's been pretty good, even with its own quirks. A further refinement of that image will definitely be welcome as well.

I haven't tried Emuelec and I can never seem to get The Retro Arena working on my own, but what we have so far definitely makes it useable, once you know what you're doing. This was never really meant to be a 'pick up and go' device, but it's got FAR more support than otherwise could have, which is amazing.

There are other handhelds that are far more expensive that have their own quirks. So far, I have an RG350, in addition to my Odroid Go, and a Retrostone, all have their pros and cons too. But I mean, for the price, it's pretty amazing.

cutterjohn

Unread post by cutterjohn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm

deerwings wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 am
cutterjohn wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 am
Yeah, the current reference distro has some kinks to iron out. crashoverride has said we may be looking at a week or so for a new distro image. Looking forward to it.

Only other image I've used so far is batocera, and all in all it's been pretty good, even with its own quirks. A further refinement of that image will definitely be welcome as well.

I haven't tried Emuelec and I can never seem to get The Retro Arena working on my own, but what we have so far definitely makes it useable, once you know what you're doing. This was never really meant to be a 'pick up and go' device, but it's got FAR more support than otherwise could have, which is amazing.

There are other handhelds that are far more expensive that have their own quirks. So far, I have an RG350, in addition to my Odroid Go, and a Retrostone, all have their pros and cons too. But I mean, for the price, it's pretty amazing.
Thanks, I'll try batocera next... tried the stock image, retroarena, and yesterday emuelec, and well, yeah, they all have their own problems ATM. Time permitting I'll give batocera a shot today. I'm liking the way emuelec is setup but so far it is the roughest of the lot that I've tried to date.

EDIT
Oh other emu handhelds, I've got an A320, GCW Zero(horrible buttons, need to try more replacements), some older JXD android things, RS-97, RS-97 (plus v2 or anniversary v2 can't remember which ATM), LDK portrait and that's it for the 'cheap' ones. Most of the MIPS ones running retrofw/opendingux(+ stock A320 but don't use much any more, actually used the radio function a bit on this as well). Oh almost forgot my GB Colour which should probably go here even though it's basically a GBC w/a weird screen, but it works.

Then I have pocket GB, GBC, GBA(original release, no backlight, never used much because of), dsl, n3dsxl(+ n2dsxl backup covers GBA/ds as well), ps vita(+ psp/psx obviously handsdown best for those love adrenaline, sd2vita/psdvd), and a switch(+ linux/lineageOS). Oh and the original nVidia shield 'handheld' (freaking HEAVY).

Plus odroid stuff(other) C1(original w/all the bugs), and an xu4. Missed the H2(need a kodi box upgrade, my repurposed ASUS chromebox(2995U) is getting a little long in the tooth... wish odroid would do a zen2 apu board but I need to check if ASROCK et.al. are still making any preconfigured bga(soldered CPU) mini boards).

Non-odroid, have a selection of rpi model b's 1-3(original 3 not the upgrade one). Don't use the odroids or rpis for emulation though. Don't even really use my notebooks or desktops for emulation either, nor the kodi box.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am

cutterjohn wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm
EDIT
Oh other emu handhelds, I've got an A320, GCW Zero(horrible buttons, need to try more replacements), some older JXD android things, RS-97, RS-97 (plus v2 or anniversary v2 can't remember which ATM), LDK portrait and that's it for the 'cheap' ones. Most of the MIPS ones running retrofw/opendingux(+ stock A320 but don't use much any more, actually used the radio function a bit on this as well). Oh almost forgot my GB Colour which should probably go here even though it's basically a GBC w/a weird screen, but it works.

Then I have pocket GB, GBC, GBA(original release, no backlight, never used much because of), dsl, n3dsxl(+ n2dsxl backup covers GBA/ds as well), ps vita(+ psp/psx obviously handsdown best for those love adrenaline, sd2vita/psdvd), and a switch(+ linux/lineageOS). Oh and the original nVidia shield 'handheld' (freaking HEAVY).

Plus odroid stuff(other) C1(original w/all the bugs), and an xu4. Missed the H2(need a kodi box upgrade, my repurposed ASUS chromebox(2995U) is getting a little long in the tooth... wish odroid would do a zen2 apu board but I need to check if ASROCK et.al. are still making any preconfigured bga(soldered CPU) mini boards).

Non-odroid, have a selection of rpi model b's 1-3(original 3 not the upgrade one). Don't use the odroids or rpis for emulation though. Don't even really use my notebooks or desktops for emulation either, nor the kodi box.
I was going to get an RS-97 since they were pretty much recommended by a large number of places, and the OGA reminds me a lot of one, but I like the OGA a lot better for a number of reasons.

cutterjohn

Unread post by cutterjohn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 am

deerwings wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am
I was going to get an RS-97 since they were pretty much recommended by a large number of places, and the OGA reminds me a lot of one, but I like the OGA a lot better for a number of reasons.
OGA is EASILY better than ANY of the MIPS based handhelds. The MIPS based ones were nice because they were 'cheap' and hackable, or came pre-loaded w/opendingux... now they're getting fairly expensive for what they are, e.g. rg350 & kin...

The best that those MIPS can do is psx, and that's only if they leverage native MIPS ISA, plus there were bits and pieces of the SoCs, e.g. IPU that only RECENTLY became useful... sad to say but I think that it's the end of the line for MIPS based handhelds...

OTOH as someone pointed out elsewhere you can pickup a decent no contract phone for $50 or less w/2-3GB RAM. a telescopic controller adapter thing for c. $25 and there you go a 'handheld' that kills all these things... the phone the guy picked up was some motorola from Wallymart, he had an essential ph-1 from ebay for $25 but the battery only lasted 10m he said(seller was sending another, I still use a ph-1 and my battery lasts days(light usage))... thinking about upgrading to a 1+ 7T though.

I picked up some cheap no contract phone last summer, from a store for $10 a piece... I figured why not for $10(clearance, but they had decent specs, IIRC 1.6GHZ octa/2 or 3GB RAM unfortunately couldn't find a way to root or unloack the bootloader on those... they'll likely never get an OS update... but $10...

Forgot I also have an original gpd win(plastic case, but z8750) as well, but never ran emulators on it, well barring dosbox, which is only sort of an emulator...

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:38 am

cutterjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 am
deerwings wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am
OGA is EASILY better than ANY of the MIPS based handhelds. The MIPS based ones were nice because they were 'cheap' and hackable, or came pre-loaded w/opendingux... now they're getting fairly expensive for what they are, e.g. rg350 & kin...

The best that those MIPS can do is psx, and that's only if they leverage native MIPS ISA, plus there were bits and pieces of the SoCs, e.g. IPU that only RECENTLY became useful... sad to say but I think that it's the end of the line for MIPS based handhelds...

OTOH as someone pointed out elsewhere you can pickup a decent no contract phone for $50 or less w/2-3GB RAM. a telescopic controller adapter thing for c. $25 and there you go a 'handheld' that kills all these things... the phone the guy picked up was some motorola from Wallymart, he had an essential ph-1 from ebay for $25 but the battery only lasted 10m he said(seller was sending another, I still use a ph-1 and my battery lasts days(light usage))... thinking about upgrading to a 1+ 7T though.

I picked up some cheap no contract phone last summer, from a store for $10 a piece... I figured why not for $10(clearance, but they had decent specs, IIRC 1.6GHZ octa/2 or 3GB RAM unfortunately couldn't find a way to root or unloack the bootloader on those... they'll likely never get an OS update... but $10...

Forgot I also have an original gpd win(plastic case, but z8750) as well, but never ran emulators on it, well barring dosbox, which is only sort of an emulator...
Yeah, some premium phones of Yesteryear are more than capable. I have an HTC One M8 for example, still a couple of hundred bucks on Amazon but was a really decent device. Coupled with a controller, it did pretty well. Got kinda heavy after a while too. I have a GPD Win 1 as well, I think it's a z8700 model, though. I'd use it more if it were a little lighter and the keyboard was more centered like on the GPD Win 2, but because of the way the screen rotation works some emulation is kinda strange. I got Retropie and Emulationstation working on it reasonably well but it's not usually my Go-To for emulation. Everything I can do on it, I can do on my OGA. Or my Retrostone for that matter. I bought an RG-350 a bit back before the OGAs were available and funny enough I got my RG350 about a week before my OGA showed up. I'd ordered my RG350 back in December and my OGA the day they went on sale on Hardkernel. I find my OGA is more comfortable. I do a fair bit of fiddling with Handheld emulation on things, but the one thing that's certain is that software maturity really can make or break a lot of these devices. OpenDingux is cool and all but it feels kinda clunky and I find the interface kind of ugly regardless of what skin you use on it, especially when compared to Emulationstation.

So when the next release of the OGA reference image comes out, it'll definitely be put through its paces. I'm looking forward to the fixes being put in, and I hope I've contributed towards some of it even if it's minor but for what has already been demonstrated as capable on this device it's definitely an easy competitor at a far less price than any of those other MIPS handhelds.

cutterjohn

Unread post by cutterjohn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:23 pm

deerwings wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:38 am
Yeah, some premium phones of Yesteryear are more than capable. I have an HTC One M8 for example, still a couple of hundred bucks on Amazon but was a really decent device. Coupled with a controller, it did pretty well. Got kinda heavy after a while too. I have a GPD Win 1 as well, I think it's a z8700 model, though. I'd use it more if it were a little lighter and the keyboard was more centered like on the GPD Win 2, but because of the way the screen rotation works some emulation is kinda strange. I got Retropie and Emulationstation working on it reasonably well but it's not usually my Go-To for emulation. Everything I can do on it, I can do on my OGA. Or my Retrostone for that matter. I bought an RG-350 a bit back before the OGAs were available and funny enough I got my RG350 about a week before my OGA showed up. I'd ordered my RG350 back in December and my OGA the day they went on sale on Hardkernel. I find my OGA is more comfortable. I do a fair bit of fiddling with Handheld emulation on things, but the one thing that's certain is that software maturity really can make or break a lot of these devices. OpenDingux is cool and all but it feels kinda clunky and I find the interface kind of ugly regardless of what skin you use on it, especially when compared to Emulationstation.

So when the next release of the OGA reference image comes out, it'll definitely be put through its paces. I'm looking forward to the fixes being put in, and I hope I've contributed towards some of it even if it's minor but for what has already been demonstrated as capable on this device it's definitely an easy competitor at a far less price than any of those other MIPS handhelds.
Opendingux is lightyears beyond what OGA currently has... OGA is a complete mess distrowise. Opendingux from my memory was never as broken as the current OGA state...

EDIT: IMHNO HK pushed OGA out the door WAY too early. They could've used the extra months to polish even their own distro, which is just a bad as the rest but not as bad a batocera, which I just tried. That one is whoo boy bad ATM IMNHO.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm

cutterjohn wrote: EDIT: IMHNO HK pushed OGA out the door WAY too early. They could've used the extra months to polish even their own distro, which is just a bad as the rest but not as bad a batocera, which I just tried. That one is whoo boy bad ATM IMNHO.
If you read the forum you would know the ES build by crashoverride is not polished by design, it's a baseline for others to build on the technology he implemented.

If it's so terrible why don't you sell the device to someone, you wouldn't have any issue making the entirety of your purchase price back and someone who can't get the device would be happy.

*edit*
Changing RA to ES
Last edited by rooted on Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

rooted wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm
If you actually read the forum you would know the RA build by crashoverride
[Disclaimer: The below is my opinion.]

I did the "Reference Image". It is targeted at developers to showcase the hardware and demonstrate programming and usage techniques. It is usable as a fully functioning image for consumers; however, it is not meant to be customized or contain elaborate features. This is necessary to establish a common base for issue reports since I am a single person doing the work of an entire team (I am not a HK, TheRA, batocera, etc. employee). Development of the image and software is still ongoing within the constraint previously mentioned. I simply do not have the resource to anticipate every single feature, ROM set requirements, etc. that customers may use. Instead, a known working subset is established with the expectation that game OS developers will eventually serve this customer base.

Developers may take what they want from the Reference Image and integrate it into their builds. TheRA does this, other do not. Since they have teams of people, they are better suited to feature enablement and the associated issue reports. As of today, game OS developers now have a full suite of resources to provide the best experience possible on ODROID-GO Advance. These include EmulationStation and RetroArch (with proper GO Advance platform support). RetroRun is also available for those wanting the best performance. All of the software is open source for developers to extend or customize should they choose.

What sets ODROID-GO Advance apart from similar products is that its not intended to be a single purpose appliance. While it can certainly play games, its also capable of much more. This is the reason the Reference Image uses Ubuntu and not a proprietary OS build so that customers can experiment and develop uses outside of gaming. Its actually a "big deal" that Ubuntu and EmulationStation are used instead of Opendingux. It has apparently never been done before since a great deal of development was required to accomplish it and is still ongoing. :D
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post (total 5):
alektronic (Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:04 pm) • rooted (Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 pm) • ducadan (Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:42 am) • dmckean44 (Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 am) • npaladin2000 (Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 pm)

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 am

crashoverride wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm
What sets ODROID-GO Advance apart from similar products is that its not intended to be a single purpose appliance. While it can certainly play games, its also capable of much more. This is the reason the Reference Image uses Ubuntu and not a proprietary OS build so that customers can experiment and develop uses outside of gaming. Its actually a "big deal" that Ubuntu and EmulationStation are used instead of Opendingux. It has apparently never been done before since a great deal of development was required to accomplish it and is still ongoing. :D
And I, for one, thank you for your hard work, crashoverride. I really do appreciate it.

shareef

Unread post by shareef » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:09 am

deerwings wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 am
crashoverride wrote:
And I, for one, thank you for your hard work, crashoverride. I really do appreciate it.
#metoo :D

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Though it's unfair to early adopters, the truth is - the more devices in the wild -> the faster problems are discovered -> the better the software gets.

npaladin2000

Unread post by npaladin2000 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:14 am

crashoverride wrote:
rooted wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:31 pm
If you actually read the forum you would know the RA build by crashoverride
[Disclaimer: The below is my opinion.]

I did the "Reference Image". It is targeted at developers to showcase the hardware and demonstrate programming and usage techniques. It is usable as a fully functioning image for consumers; however, it is not meant to be customized or contain elaborate features. This is necessary to establish a common base for issue reports since I am a single person doing the work of an entire team (I am not a HK, TheRA, batocera, etc. employee). Development of the image and software is still ongoing within the constraint previously mentioned. I simply do not have the resource to anticipate every single feature, ROM set requirements, etc. that customers may use. Instead, a known working subset is established with the expectation that game OS developers will eventually serve this customer base.

Developers may take what they want from the Reference Image and integrate it into their builds. TheRA does this, other do not. Since they have teams of people, they are better suited to feature enablement and the associated issue reports. As of today, game OS developers now have a full suite of resources to provide the best experience possible on ODROID-GO Advance. These include EmulationStation and RetroArch (with proper GO Advance platform support). RetroRun is also available for those wanting the best performance. All of the software is open source for developers to extend or customize should they choose.

What you developed may be intended to be a base reference image but it's still the most stable thing out there so far (I'm pretty impressed with the actual game playing experience, though there's some tweaking of ancilarry stuff needed). And having a nice, relatively polished stable base can only help those other distro devs too, gives them a much more solid base to build off of.

shareef

Unread post by shareef » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:33 am

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:04 pm
Though it's unfair to early adopters, the truth is - the more devices in the wild -> the faster problems are discovered -> the better the software gets.
💯

Return to “General Topics”