Corrupt screen when I move the device? UPDATED (Fixed, but broke off shoulder button!)

Liquidream
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Corrupt screen when I move the device? UPDATED (Fixed, but broke off shoulder button!)

Unread post by Liquidream » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:58 am

Hi all,

I wonder if I could get your opinion on an issue I'm having since I first booted my Go Advance.

When I move the device (e.g. tilt or tap/push lightly against the back) - the display gets corrupted & at one point went completely.
I turned it off, waited a while, then turned it on again and could see the display again.. but the same "sensitivity" is there.

I could've sworn I pinned the screen ribbon cable as much as it could close (without risking breaking/tearing it) -
and on looking at ETA Prime's assembly video, I think mine was closed even more.

My big concern is that I did SUCH a good job at closing the case (even pushing clips to get the extra click),
that I'm not sure whether I can re-open the device without breaking the plastic case.

Any ideas? 😟
Last edited by Liquidream on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: Corrupt screen when I move the device?

Unread post by meveric » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:24 am

You should be able to open it back up fine.
Start on the left side where the big open slot it.. You should be easily able to pry it open here, the clip is right next to the opening and therefor you should be able to pry it open without using too much force.
Once this side is open it ledge that you create to open the bottom. If you can use a thin plastic card or clip to open it just extend the gap and and you should be able to unclip the bottom part as well.
The right side with the UART port is a little bit harder but if you have the other three open already it should come off as well.
With that the upper part opens up itself once you open it from the bottom.

I did it a couple of times already.
I suggest loosen up the screws a little it seems too much stress on the PCB can cause issues.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:23 am

What I've been doing is taking a knife and carefully slipping it between the seam on the side where the top case meets the bottom case but has no plastic to join them (I believe it's on the left side if you're looking from the front), just be careful not to dig. I slip the knife in and carefully rotate it near the clip until it pops. You'll probably want a fairly wide but not too long knife. I don't recommend a screwdriver or you might gouge the plastic. I think the snaps do help make the unit feel more 'solid' but I rather wish they hadn't put them on and simply used screws to keep it closed like the Odroid Go.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am

Also, make sure you do not over tighten the screws. I found this can also affect the display.

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:03 am

crashoverride wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am
Also, make sure you do not over tighten the screws. I found this can also affect the display.
Funny enough, I did actually overtightn a screw and it snapped the screw in half, which surprised me. I was expecting to strip out the hole first. That's when I discovered that the screws for the shell actually aren't as important as the screws for the motherboard! Kudos to hardkernel for this construction!

Liquidream

Unread post by Liquidream » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks all,
I'll give it a go & unclip the case (when I'm feeling brave enough! πŸ˜…) and go from there.

Liquidream

Re: Corrupt screen when I move the device? UPDATED (Fixed, but broke off shoulder button)

Unread post by Liquidream » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 am

Ugh... FML. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

So, I fixed the ribbon cable.
I managed to place it UNDER the connector, not INSIDE it (Doh!)

However, in all my excitement at fixing it - I was a little too hasty in closing the case up again and managed to bend (then break off) the right shoulder button! 😩

Does anyone know if I can just solder this back on?
(I don't actually own an iron - but first time for everything, I guess! πŸ˜…)

Looking at the other shoulder button, it *seems* like its got three contact points + connected at the top for stability.

Thx again - can't believe I was *this* close! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Corrupt screen when I move the device? UPDATED (Fixed, but broke off shoulder button!)

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am

Yes, you should be able to solder it back on. Go to a phone repair shop.

m8kbv
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am
Hi.
Do you think that flashes on a black background are also the result of too tight screws? or rather latches?

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 pm

m8kbv wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 pm
Do you think that flashes on a black background are also the result of too tight screws? or rather latches?
That likely indicates the LCD connector is not well attached.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 pm
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:21 pm
That likely indicates the LCD connector is not well attached.
I connected the connector several times, after pressing my finger near the screen, x-rays appeared more.

crashoverride

Re: Corrupt screen when I move the device? UPDATED (Fixed, but broke off shoulder button!)

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 pm
I connected the connector several times, after pressing my finger near the screen, x-rays appeared more.
It is probably better to post a video showing the issue.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 pm
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 pm
It is probably better to post a video showing the issue.
the problem is only visible against a black background, the system starts up quickly so it can be hard to see in the movie.
Then I'll post a movie.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm
the problem is only visible against a black background
If you mean "light bleed" (the edges of the screen appear lighter), then yes, it can be caused by over tightening screws. Particularly, the tightening order of the screws holding the main board can apply uneven pressure. I provided HK with a recommended torque sequence to minimize this, but it does not appear to have been posted. It is very important not to tighten the screws too much. The screws should be just tight enough that the main board does not slide around.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:35 pm
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm
the problem is only visible against a black background
If you mean "light bleed" (the edges of the screen appear lighter), then yes, it can be caused by over tightening screws. Particularly, the tightening order of the screws holding the main board can apply uneven pressure. I provided HK with a recommended torque sequence to minimize this, but it does not appear to have been posted. It is very important not to tighten the screws too much. The screws should be just tight enough that the main board does not slide around.
I think so too! I'll check in 2 hours and let you know. : D
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=37747
what do you think of my case "?

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:43 pm

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 pm
what do you think of my case "?
The bending of the case can also affect the display. The panel is sensitive to being bent or twisted. When the screws are too tight or the case is not fasten properly, it will introduce a bending in the LCD panel causing light bleed. The display panel must be perfectly level for optimal display.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:47 am

I folded the housing correctly so that all latches snap in (it's not easy!), I loosened the screws - it's not much better.

I see not only I have x-rays on the screen in the same places:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=37815

odroid
Site Admin
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am

@m8kbv,
Your LCD module seems to be damaged too much and some RGB signal rails in the TFT glass or FPCB could be broken.
If the LCD module was warped or twisted, there could be some bleeding light on the edge sides too. :(

Contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a picture of your components and a URL link of your post.
They will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from our web-store directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor/reseller.

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm

odroid wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am
@m8kbv,
Your LCD module seems to be damaged too much and some RGB signal rails in the TFT glass or FPCB could be broken.
If the LCD module was warped or twisted, there could be some bleeding light on the edge sides too. :(

Contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a picture of your components and a URL link of your post.
They will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from our web-store directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor/reseller.
Will you be able to remove the screen without breaking the latches / damaging the screen in the event of a complaint?
my local distributor will accept the entire device and replace the screen (apparently).

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 am

the console came back with the screen replaced. Is it better? I don't know. :|

L:before P: after.

Liquidream

Unread post by Liquidream » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:46 am

While this thread seems to have taken a different path now (which is fine).
I just wanted to thank @mad_ady for suggesting I go to a phone repair shop. πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

..all done & working now (-Β£20 in repairs, but they did come & repair it in my house, so there's that).

Now to finally start playing some games! 😁

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by Etx » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 am

Post a final result.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Liquidream wrote:While this thread seems to have taken a different path now (which is fine).
I just wanted to thank @mad_ady for suggesting I go to a phone repair shop. ImageImage

..all done & working now (-Β£20 in repairs, but they did come & repair it in my house, so there's that).

Now to finally start playing some games! Image
Well, it's cheaper than sending it back, but still too pricey. For that money you could buy a cheap soldering iron and fix it yourself...

Liquidream

Unread post by Liquidream » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:24 am

Yeah, I know.
Self-soldering was my first plan (had a nice one picked out and everything), but I wimped out coz of how delicate it is & I've barely ever soldered before.
TBH - the guy did a great job & I'm just glad it all working now! πŸ˜…
#TotallyWorthIt #NoStress

P.S. - I am feeling SO much better that other ppl had this issue that Odroid made a dedicated post about it!
(either that, or they're just making an example of me!! πŸ˜‚)

Return to β€œIssues”