DemetriosAMC
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Two Smart powers 2 burnt down!

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:11 am

Hi everyone,

I ordered a smart power2 for the second time due to this problem. I have been using the smart power2 monitoring through scripts a xu3 board. First, I want to say that I strictly followed all instructions on https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/power ... martpower2.

The first time the smart power2 burnt down, I updated the firmware and increased the sample rate to 10Hz (viewtopic.php?f=86&t=31395&p=261157&hilit=usb#p261157),
raditya160053 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am
odroidpower wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 am
raditya160053 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:00 am
Hi @lsc1117, I tried it with the instructions above and it's working, I'm able to build and upload it. Thanks for that.
I'll make a complete report about how to increase the sampling rate for smartpower2 and post it here.

Thanks a lot!
Hi any updates on the complete report on how to change the sampling rate?

I plan on doing the same, but with an Android OS. I saw in the wiki something that says it doesn't work with anything newer than Android 2.2?
All of the Android images are 4.4 +
Hi, the report will take a little longer still. but for smartpower2 with ubuntu, I just cloned their update firmware(v1.4) code, changed one line that corresponds to time/frequency

Code: Select all

timerId = timer.setInterval(1, handler);
1 here means, sampling every 1 ms(by default it is 1000).
after the change I built it in arduino IDE and uploaded it to the smartpower2 via USB cable.
Instructions to upload firmware are given here: https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/power ... rduino_ide
And I implemented a telnet client to threat the power data. I have used this scenario for some days until the one morning, I turn it on, and the power supply unit LED flashed, and the smart power2 smoked. At the moment, It was not plugged to the xu3.

I bought a new one. I did the same procedure as the first time, update and increase the sample rate. I have been using for some days. This time, I was planning to implement a script to get the power information on xu3 through USB cable. I used the 'screen' command to make sure the xu3 was receiving information through USB cable. It worked, it showed the power information on my terminal. Then, I turned off the smartpwer2 from the turn on/off button and unplugged the power supply. A few minutes later, I turn it while the power cable was plugged to xu3 and USB cable was connecting both. So, the power supply unit led started to blink, and immediately I unplugged. I tried to turn it on again, without success. I know that I am not the first person with this problem:

viewtopic.php?t=28391
viewtopic.php?t=35182

I requested the distributor to replace it since I ordered less than 15 days ago. I want to avoid this problem to repeat. Before, I would appreciate some help to identify what it is causing that.

Thank you.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Two Smart powers 2 burnt down!

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am

We will try to reproduce the issue.

What was the output voltage you set?
Which PSU did you connect to the SmartPower2?

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi @odroid,

Many thanks for your reply.
What was the output voltage you set?
I did not modify any settings of the smart power2. I have not even accessed the web page.
Which PSU did you connect to the SmartPower2?
The PSU that came within the smart power2 kit package. The 15V/4A power supply unit.

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 pm

Today, I took a photo of my first smart power. As you can see below, the component U3 is burnt, and the U5, perhaps, is not looking 'healthy'.

As I immediately removed the power cable from the connector on the second smart power, visually, it seems fine. These are the pictures of my second smart power:

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 pm

We couldn't reproduce the issue this morning.
But we can reproduce it now with a different HDMI monitor finally.
If the monitor generates reverse current to an XU4 board via HDMI cable when the XU4 turns off, we could observe around 0.8~1.1Volt on the 5Volt DC rail with a DMM.
In that case, the DCDC converter chips on the SmartPower2 board could be damaged when we plug the DC cable to the SmartPower2 to turn on the system.
So I think the symptom is very similar to this report.
viewtopic.php?t=28391#p206149

To avoid the problem again, we have to disconnect the HDMI cable from the XU4 board after turning the XU4 board off.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

BTW, we've tried over 20 different monitors in our office but we found only one(several years old Dell monitor) which makes the weird reverse current.

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi @odroid,

Thanks for your support. I do not use a monitor on my xu3. I usually use the UART module to access it. My scenario of work is the smart power2 providing power to xu3. And, I do not use the smart power2 display since I need the data in a file to process it. So, I use UART to access the xu3 and the wifi connection to get the power information from the smart power. What is integrating is while I have been using it with a sample rate of 1 Hz for some months. It was ok. After, I updated the firmware and increased the sample rate to 10 HZ, that I got this problem. Twice!

kind regards

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 am

We will try to find an XU3 board which was discontinued 5~6 years ago.

Do you use our official USB-UART adapter? or other one?

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I am using the official UART.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/devel ... b_uart_kit

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm

The USB-UART board also generates a reverse current via VCCIO pin when the host PC turns on while the ODROID board turns off.
It seems to be a root cause in your cases. Sorry about that :(

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi @Odroid,

Thank you again for your support. Well, maybe it makes sense to the second scenario because I used the USB UART to get the power data from the smart power2. The first scenario, I was using a stream socket to get the power data over the wifi connection.
The USB-UART board also generates a reverse current via VCCIO pin when the host PC turns on while the ODROID board turns off.
In the second scenario, the host PC is the odroid xu3 board. So, do you think the reverse current can occur when the xu3 turns on or off?

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 am

Yes, it could be.

joerg
languages_spoken: german, english, español
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2

Unread post by joerg » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 pm

odroid wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm
It seems to be a root cause in your cases. Sorry about that :(
It's a good idea to not connect the VCC. I use since years a modified usb uart bread board where I have removed the 3.3V-5V switch. This way my uart does not feed voltage to the probant. Anyway I usually connect only 3 wires. Think of a revision of your usb uart where the user can remove or set a jumper to archieve this. May it help to not to burn our lovely sbc'.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:36 pm

If the VCCIO input pin is opened, CP210x IC will not have a reference voltage for input level probably.
So it seems not to be a permanent solution. :(

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 pm

And about the first scenario? I was not using a USB when it burned.
The xu3 was connected to smart power's wifi before I turn the smart power off. Do you think there is any problem with turn on/off the xu3 or the smart power when connected to wifi?

Did anyone report a problem after increasing the sample rate? I am not sure, perhaps, it was just a coincidence, but this problem happened after a firmware update.

Do you think an inrush current could cause this kind of problem?

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 am

I don't think a USB WiFi module connection to the XU3 board could kill the SmartPower2.
They must be totally isolated.

As far as I remember, nobody sent us any report about the damaged Smart power in recent several months.
I don't think faster sample rate can damage the DCDC converter on the Smartpower2.
Do you really think there could be a negative side effect with the new firmware?

DemetriosAMC

Unread post by DemetriosAMC » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Do you really think there could be a negative side effect with the new firmware?

I want to figure out what is in common in both situations. For me, the problem occurred after firmware update + increase sample rate. I used it for several months without the update, and I did not have a problem.

The distributor replaced the burned smart power for a new one. But, I am afraid to use it, since I am not sure what is the root of the problem. If I could, I would make further tests on updated firmware to have sure what is the problem.

Smart power is an excellent tool for measuring any development board. It has a reasonable cost-benefit of price-features. I would love to proceed with my research using it. It can be handy not only to monitor the power consumption but to develop more powerful techniques for more energy-efficient systems.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 am

Okay.
We will use the latest firmware with the fastest sample rate and connect it to XU4 board for a couple of weeks to reproduce the issue.
The XU4 will have a USB WiFi dongle to save the power consumption data by itself.

Return to “Smart Power”