Screen Glow Through Case

deerwings
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Screen Glow Through Case

Unread post by deerwings » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 am

If you haven't yet received your Odroid Go Advance yet, keep in mind that it experiences the same 'screen glow' issue along the left edge that the Odroid Go does. However, there is a relatively easy fix for this!

You can use a strip of opaque black electrical tape along the left edge of the screen (The visible front side) just on the part where there is exposed circuitry, roughly about a quarter inch wide or so and it will severely decrease the amount of bleed through for the light while not significantly impeding the installation of the screen. You may want to make sure you measure and cut the tape to the right width before applying it. If you have it too wide, it may interfere with the ability of the ribbon cable to feed through the slot on the circuitboard. You only need just enough to cover the circuit part, don't put any on the actual screen itself. When assembled, this tape is not visible, as it is hidden beneath the plastic screen protector.

I don't have pictures available right now, but I have two units, one I have not done this on and the other I have. There's still bleed through from the backlight but it's a lot less visible on the one I applied the tape to than the one without it. You could also apply some along the back of the screen in roughly the same place after installed and this should help cut it down further.

But you'll want to consider if you want to add this electrical tape before you put it together, because removing the screen after installation is a lot harder than installing it! Be very careful with applying and cutting the tape. I do not recommend trimming it once it is installed, as you may risk damaging the ribbon cable. It is possible to use other kinds of opaque tape but I do not recommend any tape that has any strong adhesive to it, in case you need to remove it again in the future.

johnpdoe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Screen Glow Through Case

Unread post by johnpdoe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks for this.
Probably lot to ask, but if you could post a couple of pictures for the noobs like me it would be super helpful!

Cheers!

Etx
languages_spoken: english, chinese, russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by Etx » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 am

I think some pictures about all this stuff will speak way better than tons of text...

kamots
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO, C1+, ODROID-GO Advance

Unread post by kamots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 am

These users thanked the author kamots for the post (total 2):
odroid (Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am) • shareef (Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am)

PaulF8080
ODROIDs: go, go advance, xu4

Unread post by PaulF8080 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am

kamots wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 am
Your picture looks like mine. The clear tabs don't hook over the metal shield. The metal shield actually bent, in my case. How hard are you supposed to push? I don't want to break the LCD.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm

It is best to gently bend out the top of the case, insert the bottom of the LCD under the bottom hooks (near the buttons), and then push in the top. Just a little bend out of the top of the case will give enough extra clearance to snap in the top of the display. It may not look like it, but in the picture all the clips are properly on top of the metal.

deerwings
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by deerwings » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am

kamots wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
It is best to gently bend out the top of the case, insert the bottom of the LCD under the bottom hooks (near the buttons), and then push in the top. Just a little bend out of the top of the case will give enough extra clearance to snap in the top of the display. It may not look like it, but in the picture all the clips are properly on top of the metal.
I inserted my screen at the top first and then carefully pressed along the bottom edge until it snapped in. You have to keep applying pressure on the corners or they'll pop out. It's not quite as easy as the Odroid Go was, and I'm somewhat cautious of removing it when I move the internals to a new shell after I've painted it. I tend to forget to take pictures when I do this, so when I take one of my two units apart I'll take pictures of the tape thing too.

PaulF8080
ODROIDs: go, go advance, xu4

Unread post by PaulF8080 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:51 pm

kamots wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Thanks. I'll try your method. The bottom of the shield is so mangled now, I have little hope. I found the replacement, but it's out of stock and it comes from China, I think. It's not a warranty issue. I simply pressed too far from the edge and it's my fault that the shield bowed up. They expect 2 months delay from China because of the virus. I'll let you know when its resolved in the far future.

kamots

Unread post by kamots » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 pm

I believe ameriDroid has stock of screens, check them out.

Return to “General Topics”