Current Image Issues /Observations (02/06/2020 Ubuntu 18.04 Reference Image)

deerwings
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid Go, Odroid Go Advance

Current Image Issues /Observations (02/06/2020 Ubuntu 18.04 Reference Image)

Unread post by deerwings » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm

*** Last Updated 02/16/2020 06:52PM EST

Here's a thread to somewhat centralize issues that have been uncovered with the current image, as well as observations for people looking to get an Odroid Go Advance for the first time.

This post will continually be edited by me as I go, in order to help me keep track of what I've uncovered and may help others find answers for things they can't find in other threads.

****First Time Buyers**** - If you do not have a USB Wifi Adapter for this unit, you may have a hard time getting roms onto it unless you have a Linux machine. If you have a working Wifi Adapter, then you will be able to access your Odroid Go Advance as a Samba Share. The dongle I've tested that works acceptably is a TP-Link TL-WN725N. It works out of the box, easy to configure, only does 2.4ghz Wifi however.

Firstly, there are a couple of different images (Ubuntu, Batocera, etc) and this thread is focused on the current stock offered Ubunutu image.
If you have missing roms, or no roms at all with this image, see the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=195&p=280188#p280188

You will need the install image for the OS, and an SD card writing software. For Windows, I recommend BalenaEtcher. After the card has finished, do NOT reformat the card as Windows suggests. The filesystem is unreadable by Windows. Just close Etcher and remove the card.

The guide located here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go_advance/start is a great place to start. You can get the install image from here.

* Booting
After first boot (which will take a little longer due to SD card expansion) your boot time may be anywhere from 13 to 22 seconds. This is normal. Shutdown is approximately two seconds. Simply press and hold the power button on the top until the lights on the top/back next to the USB port light up and let go. To turn it off, press and hold the power button for about 2 seconds until the lights turn off. If your device has frozen for any reason, just keep pressing and holding the power button until the power completely turns off.

*Screen:
The screen is the best I've seen on any handheld emulator. It's roughly about the same size as the screen on the PSP and appears to be 320x480, but it looks a lot nicer on this device and extremely sufficient for any game played on it so far.

*Sound
Functional for a single speaker. My first unit is not exactly loud, but it's loud enough for personal use. Headphone jack is a major plus if you want more amazing sound for your games. Don't expect it to be ear blasting across the room for parties.

*Construction
The Polycarbonate shell is amazingly sturdy. However, putting it together was a slight bit of a challenge with the snaps along the edges of the screen. The Youtube video does a good job helping explain how to put it together and apply the snaps (You should have a smooth seam across all edges, and you should not feel a 'lip' at any point) however, this makes disassembly somewhat difficult if you intend to do more to this unit such as fiddle with GPIO pins and such. You won't be taking it apart as readily as you can an Odroid Go. If you're a tinkerer, you may want to plan ahead of time to make your headers accessable through the shell before you put it together.

*Charging
You'll want to use the included charger cable, as it charges via the barrel jack. You can use any 5v USB phone charger or a PC USB port. Do not plug it into any other power supply even if it fits unless it has the same polarity on the plug and supplies 5v. The amperage isn't that important, but it's recommended at least a 1amp charger to be used. If you break your cable, more should be orderable on hardkernel's site. If you're enterprising, you could make one from parts you can get easily from electronics stores, just make sure you connect the wires to the correct pins on the USB port. Be very careful! If you swap pins, you could easily damage your unit! Unless you know what you're doing, it's probably a better idea to order multiple spare power cables, as they're relatively inexpensive and there is a good chance they are likely to break. Good length on the power cable, though.

*Connectivity
None. You will need a separate Wifi adapter to access it. Once you have, you can use SSH to connect to it. Default Username/Password: odroid/odroid. After connection to Wifi, find out your IP in the show Ip configuration, and then you can access the roms folder with Windows by \\192.168.x.x (where x.x is the IP) and you will have access to three folders. At this time, you can only write to the /roms folder. If you need to make configuration file changes such as es_systems.cfg, you'll need to stick it here, and then move it via SSH to the appropriate folder. I use Putty to do this. I'm using a TP-Link TL-WN725N (Which you can get easily, try Amazon) for mine. It's low profile, and works pretty well. Transfer speeds are not amazing, but they're better than no transfer speed at all!
It is highly recommended to add a Wifi Dongle offered on Hardkernel's site as well, as it can make using this device a lot simpler when you have network connectivity.

*Buttons:
(Function Buttons)
Button One does nothing in Emulation Station. When used in an emulator, it will return you back to the Emulationstation Menu.
Button Two takes a screenshot regardless of what you are running. Be aware, this sticks a screenshot in your /home/odroid folder. Does this whether in Emulationstation or in any Emulator.
Button Three is Select and is select for most emulators.
Button Four is Start. and is start for most emulators. (I think there is one I came across where it is not, but I cannot remember offhand and will find it later)
Five and Six do nothing. in Emulationstation, In Atari Lynx it also functions as Option 1 and Option 2.
(Regular Buttons)
I have two Odroid go kits. My first kit had some slight issues with buttons, but my second kit works perfectly fine. There is a little more travel on the game buttons than some people may be used to, and they are nicely spaced.
Shoulder Buttons: Make sure you orient them correctly. My first install had them backwards. They're comfortable and functional. Not perfect, but decent. Would have benefitted better from two more shoulder buttons for L2 and R2, however this could be installed with an expansion header via a daughterboard.

* Emulators: (None of the Emulators have any adjustable settings at this time except PSP)
- You may need some additional BIOS files eg SCPH1001.bin for Playstation, and Atari800.bin for Atari. The emulator will tell you what you need. These will need to go in the appropriate core folder for now.
- Atari 2600/5200/7800/Lynx all seem to work perfectly fine with roms I've tested them on. (River Raid on 2600, Montezuma's Revenge on 5200, Space Invaders on 7800, Chips Challenge, Gates of Zendocon and California Games on Lynx. CG has some stuttering/framerate issues on the title and event selection screen, but seem to work fine in the actual event.)
- Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance All seem to work perfectly fine with roms I've tested them on. (Super Mario Land on GB, Shantae on GBC, Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World on GBA) - Screen is not resizable and there is a definite border around the screen in GB and GBC, this is due to MGBA. Could use a configuration menu/file
- Nes/Snes All seem to work fine with some exceptions. Nes worked fine (Super Mario Bros 3) and most Snes worked fine (Super Mario World) but some did not (Star Fox, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) - Seems the current Snes core available has trouble running SuperFX games. There are Snes cores that do run this fine, though. This needs further testing.
- Sega Master System/GameGear/Genesis All seemed to work fine.
- Playstation all seemed to work fine with what I've tested, but further testing needed (Tested Gran Turismo 2, Silent Hill) However, sound emulation needs tweaking. Sound Interpolator seems set default to None, would work better if set to Gaussian, still hunting for a configuration file that may resolve this.
- PSP Is hit or miss. Lego Star Wars II runs acceptably with some minimal stutter from time to time. Dante's Inferno is extremely sluggish and choppy, as expected.
- Mame and NeoGeo do not seem to work at this time by default, and I don't have them included in my es_systems.cfg at the moment, and it doesn't seem that there is a libretro core currently installed for then currently.
- Retroarch can be installed via the Ubuntu Repo, but I can't seem to get it to run, and certainly not through Emulationstation directly. This warrants further experimentation and testing.
- Exiting an emulator is simple as pressing Function One. It will save a snapshot in your /home/odroid folder that instantly loads when you return to that specific game. Instant Save State! This also accumulates much as the screenshots.
- Keep in mind that in-game saving doesn't seem to work properly at this time. Saving states with Function one works, but if you end up back at the main menu, DO NOT EXIT until you are sure where you were or you will lose all of your progress.

* Performance
Performance has been amazing. There's been no screen tearing with any emulator I've used so far, though I've noticed a slight bit of ghosting which actually helps improve the appearance of some games and is by no means unpleasant. It does not affect the gameplay in any way and I didn't even notice it at first until I was looking specifically for it. A heat sink on the main CPU isn't necessary but a copper spreader might be considerable if heat becomes an issue. Haven't noticed any heat issues at this time.

* Battery Life
I had this thing on almost all day, on and off with Wifi attached and it ran for several hours as I was fiddling with it, installing roms and such. Expect reasonably long battery life. Will try to get more exact measurements at another time.

* Emulationstation
Stock Emulationstation. You can download themes and move them via ssh to /etc/emulationstation/themes - with a bit of Samba configuration file wrangling detailed below, you can actually access the folder directly and just stick them in there.
- Stock es_systems.cfg file is missing many proper extensions for file. As mentioned above, see the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=195&p=280188#p280188 for an updated es_systems.cfg. This can be placed in your /home/odroid/.emulationstation folder (you'll need to stick it in /roms and then move it via SSH, unless you perform the Samba modifications detailed below) and a restart of Emulationstation will pick it up.
- Themes I've tested that work well: Pixel and Pixel-TFT and they look *AMAZING*. If you include boxart in /media/images in your rom folders, and an appropriate gamelist.xml in your rom folder, it will pick up box art immediately. Videos do not work yet, so save yourself the SD card space and only include box art images.
- Remapping buttons with Emulationstation didn't seem to stick. I tried remapping start and select to function Five and Six, and it didn't have any effect.
- Setting Brightness or Volume is achieved by pressing Start and selecting the Display or Sound options. These do work, so you have to make sure you have them set before you start a game.

* Needed in Future Builds
- Dedicated Controls across emulators (Batocera demonstrates this could be done, Function Two and Three work as Volume up and down regardless of what emulator you are in, something similar can be implemented for this Ubuntu image somehow) For Screen Brightness/Volume (Setting Function 2 + DPad Up/Down or Left/Right would be better for this purpose, like the Odroid Go does)
- Inclusion of nano by default for configuration, as vi could be used but is probably more convoluted to use for the average user for editing configuration files.
- Inclusion of usbView for auto-mounting of thumb drives.
- In-Game saving use of memory cards (Perhaps standard MCR format)

* Additions by me in my current install (I have not created an image to share with, but most of these changes are somewhat minor and simple and could be done by anybody with SSH access but I will be making a flashable image later)
- Installed nano
- Added exfat utilities (Confirmed works on mounting a drive manually, but USBView currently is only automounting Fat32 drives)
- installed usbview (and verified works)
- Corrected Samba configuration file to correctly create files and scripts in /opt, /odroid and /roms to assign files to the correct user and groups so they can be manipulated correctly on both Samba and through Scripts for easy rom copying or rom folder cleaning.
- Created /roms/ports for a unified location to add Quality of Life scripts (USBCopy. and RomClean.sh) and confirmed creation of new scripts and copied to /roms/ports creates functional scripts that work.
- Added the workaround for the audio controls on F5 and F6. However, this seems to break randomly, and seems to happen more with Atari emulators (Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800 and Atari Lynx) which is probably due to these emulators making use of F5 and F6 for other functions.

* You may need to change ownership of some directories. Also may need to add a Samba password for the Odroid User.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R odroid:odroid /roms
sudo smbpasswd -a odroid
Set your password to odroid, then reboot. Should resolve any problems you might have with shares. You should be able to connect with \\GOADVANCE

* To Do
Generate a new OS image.
Last edited by deerwings on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 am, edited 16 times in total.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Current Image Issues /Observations (02/06/2020 Ubuntu 18.04 Image)

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 am

The reference image is meant to showcase the hardware. By design it does not include configuration options. Instead, setting that best show the device's features are pre-selected. The selections are subject to change based on community and developer feedback; however, it is meant to be a 'pick up and play' image rather than a 'configure everything then play'. There are images from other developers that allow maximum configuration options for advanced users.

Of interest are the Lynx and GB, GBC, and GBA emulators. The Lynx emulator adds in fake interlacing to simulate the display of the actual Lynx hardware. This is intended to show developers that filters can be used for presentation. The GB, GBC, and GBA emulators all feature "pixel perfect" presentation. The border area is by design and necessary to achieve a perfect scale. This is intended to show developers that filter-less scaling is possible.

There are three (3) Samba network shares available. They are "roms", "opt", and "odroid". The "roms" share allows adding and removing images for emulations. The "opt" share allows adding any necessary BIOS files. The "odroid" share allows managing game saves and screen shots.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 am

crashoverride wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 am
The reference image is meant to showcase the hardware. By design it does not include configuration options. Instead, setting that best show the device's features are pre-selected. The selections are subject to change based on community and developer feedback; however, it is meant to be a 'pick up and play' image rather than a 'configure everything then play'. There are images from other developers that allow maximum configuration options for advanced users.

Of interest are the Lynx and GB, GBC, and GBA emulators. The Lynx emulator adds in fake interlacing to simulate the display of the actual Lynx hardware. This is intended to show developers that filters can be used for presentation. The GB, GBC, and GBA emulators all feature "pixel perfect" presentation. The border area is by design and necessary to achieve a perfect scale. This is intended to show developers that filter-less scaling is possible.

There are three (3) Samba network shares available. They are "roms", "opt", and "odroid". The "roms" share allows adding and removing images for emulations. The "opt" share allows adding any necessary BIOS files. The "odroid" share allows managing game saves and screen shots.
I've noticed the overlay in the Lynx. It looks really good, simulates an actual Lynx screen pretty well. The performance with some games does seem to be directed more to some of the specifics some of the roms had, and mirrors experiences with Handy in other settnigs (including on PC). The fact that it runs this good is amazing.

It's expected that a future build will have different options. I'm going to be experimenting to see if different libretro cores may work and have different effects, particularily with SNES emulation, as an example. I'll keep you posted.

The Opt and Odroid shares seem to have given me trouble with write permissions, I'm going to be looking at these closer in the near future. /roms share works perfectly fine. I'll keep you posted. But I have to say, what is present in the initial image is fantastic, so I really do want to extend thanks to you guys for producing a stable reference image that does a great job showing off what this is capable of! The main purpose of this post is to set expectations and keep track of observations of what is currently experienced with this current build. I don't expect to do the same for future ones, just as I didn't need to for the Odroid Go. rooted mentioned in the Saturn/PlayStation thread that the image is bound to mature and I totally agree with them on that!

However, hopefully this particular thread may be of use for reviewing potential fixes and tweaks for future builds as the image is refined. And maybe head off a large number of other posts of 'This is happening to me, is anyone else having the same problem?' deluge of other threads. :)

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:58 am

Reference for further experimentation for auto-mounting USB Thumb Drives that may work on Ubuntu 18.04

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/a ... es-on.html

To Do: See if this can be compiled, installed and whether or not it works (Fat32 USB drives have already been confirmed working through tests, but script to mount requires sudo which does not run from Emulationstation, but copying files from an already-mounted USB drive through script run through Emulationstation does work)

deerwings

EmulationStation Auto-copy Files from Fat32 USB Drive to internal SD

Unread post by deerwings » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 am

Update Notes 02/11/2020 11:12PM

USBview installed (Installs from Ubuntu Repo) and confirmed will auto-mount Fat32 USB flash drives. Confirmed works perfectly fine.

sudo apt-get install usbview
Rsync could be used instead of cp if rsync is installed, but nothing wrong with fast and dirty.

Installed the following script in /opt/system:

#!/bin/sh
cp -R /media/usb/. /roms/
(I called it USBCopy.sh) - don't forget to to set permissions with chmod 775 /opt/system/USBCopy.sh

This will automatically copy all files from your Fat32-formatted flash drive into the /roms folder. Emulationstation will show a Terminal page for a few seconds, then may go back to Emulationstation. If you have a lot of files, you might want to wait until your flash drive stops flashing (If there's an LED) on it. There's no progress bar I can get to display on the terminal window that appears. However, files do copy to the correct folder and Emulationstation does pick them up. Problem 1 solved!

Unfortunately, once files are copied, you can't delete them with a Windows Share. This is slightly annoying. However, not the end of the world, just need to do proper file management and set up your USB stick ahead of time.

Additionally, the following script installed in /opt/system can be used to clean up a bad copy and allow a fresh copy of your files.

#!/bin/sh
rm -rf /roms/*
(I called it RomClean.sh) - don't forget to set permissions with chmod 775 /opt/system/USBCopy.sh

Restart Emulationstation, and USBCopy.sh will copy roms from the Fat32 formatted flash drive into the /roms folder, and RomClean.sh will delete ALL subdirectories in that folder.

Trying to figure out how to change owner and group to nobody:nogroup so the files can still be manipulated via Samba. For some reason, even if logged in to Network share with username and password, still rejects perms to modify/delete files.

** Edit
Okay, so if files are copied to the roms folder via Samba, they are set to nobody:nogroup and can be copied to and deleted with the samba share easily. However copying with the scripts sets them to odroid:odroid. Then they can be manipulated in ssh, but not in Samba. This is a problem. Seems like either this is done through Samba, or this is done through script. For idiot-proofing, probably easier to do this through script since wifi access may not be necessary. Setting Samba to force user = odroid doesn't seem to resolve this issue. Need to look into Samba's configuration more at some point.

deerwings

Samba

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am

To Do:
Figure out why Samba is defaulting to nobody:nogroup when copying files over, and find a way to force default permissions to 775 when copying files from Samba to internal shares. Username:group should default to odroid:odroid or odroid:nogroup.

* Updated: Done!
Last edited by deerwings on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am

deerwings wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am
Figure out why Samba is defaulting to nobody:nogroup when copying files over
The network shares are configured for "guest" (no login) access.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am

crashoverride wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am
deerwings wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am
Figure out why Samba is defaulting to nobody:nogroup when copying files over
The network shares are configured for "guest" (no login) access.
Yeah, I went into the Samba configuration file to change that, and even set up a new share with a test directory with a different configuration but it still was defaulting files to nobody:nogroup. If I turn guest access off, I couldn't access it at all. Not sure if that's a problem with Windows 10 or not. I have a Debian-based NAS that I can access just fine, though it just assigns all files with root ownership anyway. Samba configuration from Linux has always been somewhat arcane to me.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am

Samba configuration is beyond the scope of this thread. However, it is exactly the same on GO Advance as on any other Ubuntu 18.04 system. Samba users must be manually added to Samba.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 am

crashoverride wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am
Samba configuration is beyond the scope of this thread. However, it is exactly the same on GO Advance as on any other Ubuntu 18.04 system. Samba users must be manually added to Samba.
Replaced the /etc/smb.conf bottom with:

[roms]
   comment = ROMS
   path = /roms
   force user = odroid
   create mask = 0775
   create mode = 0775
   directory mask = 0775
   directory mode = 0770
   force create mode = 0775
   force directory mode = 0770
   force group = users
   browsable = yes
   read only = no
   map archive = no
   map system = no
   map hidden = no
   guest ok = no
   read list = guest

[opt]
   comment = OPT
   path = /opt
   browsable = yes
   force user = odroid
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775
   read only = no
   map archive = no
   map system = no
   map hidden = no
   guest ok = no
   read list = guest

[odroid]
   comment = ODROID
   path = /home/odroid
   force user = odroid
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775
   browsable = yes
   read only = no
   map archive = no
   map system = no
   map hidden = no
   guest ok = no
   read list = guest

[themes]
   comment = THEMES
   path = /etc/emulationstation/themes
   force user = root
   force group = root
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775
   browsable = yes
   read only = no
   map archive = no
   map system = no
   map hidden = no
   guest ok = no
   read list = guest

Samba now works correctly as well as USBCopy.sh and RomClean.sh. Moved those to /roms/ports for sanity. Added share for /etc/emulationstation/themes for easy access via Samba to add more themes.
Last edited by deerwings on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am

Okay! So as a final summary of what I've accomplished here.

* Corrected the Samba configuration so that when logged in with username odroid and password odroid, any files or directories copied from somewhere onto the Odroid automatically assigns user odroid and group odroid to these files to keep them consistent with user manipulation. This includes scripts, which are set to automatically be executable, however security still prevents non-root users from doing things they can't normally do as a regular user anyway. This includes access to /opt, as well as /home/odroid and /roms.

* Corrected es_systems.cfg to contain a new section called "Ports" which is commonly used in other installs of Retropie to contain things like ports of Doom or Wolfenstein 3d, but currently only configured to allow scripts. These could also be placed in /opt/system, but having both options available is nice.

* Installed nano and usbview, and confirmed that usbview installed from the base repo functions properly and automatically mounts a Fat32 flash drive.

* Created USBCopy.sh and RomClean.sh scripts, located in /roms/ports. With these, a user without Wifi can quickly copy the entire contents of a Fat32 Thumb drive quickly to the internal storage without having to fiddle with SSH, Wifi or Samba. Samba can later be used to update, or modify the /roms folder even when roms are copied in this way. Also can completely wipe the /roms folder with RomClean.sh (Eg if giving a fresh installed unit to someone). There's no visible progress bar, but it will stay on a terminal screen for a while until the script finishes running and returns the user to Emulationstation. If it fails, it returns immediately. This also works with the Samba share settings so that files put on this method can be manipulated through Samba later.

* Confirmed that adding some additional themes manually to /etc/emulationstation/themes (Currently have Pixel, Pixel-TFT and Snes-Mini) works perfectly. Highly recommend using Pixel. It really looks great. These could be simply copied from an existing Retropie install somewhere, or downloaded manually for Emulationstation. I just grabbed the directories from my Retrostone and copied them over and they work just fine. My Samba configuration above provides access to the Themes folder for easy copying of ES Themes, and ES automatically picks them up.

shareef
ODROIDs: odroid-go

Unread post by shareef » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:15 am

deerwings wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm
* Needed in Future Builds
- Dedicated Controls across emulators (Batocera demonstrates this could be done, Function Two and Three work as Volume up and down regardless of what emulator you are in, something similar can be implemented for this Ubuntu image somehow) For Screen Brightness/Volume (Setting Function 2 + DPad Up/Down or Left/Right would be better for this purpose, like the Odroid Go does)
-
There's a workaround to accomplish this, once done "You can control the sound volume with F5(down) and F6(up) in games.
You can control the LCD backlit brightness with F3+F5(down) and F3+F6(up) too.
"

See: viewtopic.php?p=280503#p280503

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am

shareef wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:15 am
There's a workaround to accomplish this, once done "You can control the sound volume with F5(down) and F6(up) in games.
You can control the LCD backlit brightness with F3+F5(down) and F3+F6(up) too.
"

See: viewtopic.php?p=280503#p280503
Just saw that post earlier today, will look at integrating it into my changes. I want to take a snapshot of my image now and make a reflashable image but that's something I have not yet figured out.
Last edited by deerwings on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey
ODROIDs: Odroid GO Advance, Odroid GO

Unread post by Monkey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

N64 button mapping appears to be wrong.

A and B are swapped with F5 and F6

dmckean44
ODROIDs: odroid-go advance
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by dmckean44 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:12 am

Monkey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

That setup will probably make sense for a lot of N64 games. Remember the N64 controller has 6 face buttons, a start button, a d-pad, an analog stick (actually digital), shoulder buttons and an additional z button on the backside.

Gahoole2
ODROIDs: ODroid Go Advance

Unread post by Gahoole2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:32 pm

dmckean44 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:12 am
Monkey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

That setup will probably make sense for a lot of N64 games. Remember the N64 controller has 6 face buttons, a start button, a d-pad, an analog stick (actually digital), shoulder buttons and an additional z button on the backside.
In THEORY it makes sense, in execution it makes the system basically unplayable with the base image. They should be the extra c buttons people may need not heavily used buttons like a & b. If button remapping were a thing this would be less of an issue anyways so maybe the priority should be to include that.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 pm

Gahoole2 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:32 pm
In THEORY it makes sense, in execution it makes the system basically unplayable with the base image. They should be the extra c buttons people may need not heavily used buttons like a & b. If button remapping were a thing this would be less of an issue anyways so maybe the priority should be to include that.
I only had an N64 for a little while but one thing I seem to remember is that most games used either the D pad or the Analogue stick but I cannot think of any that actually used both.

m8kbv
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB
Odroid Go Advance

Re: Current Image Issues /Observations (02/06/2020 Ubuntu 18.04 Reference Image)

Unread post by m8kbv » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 pm

HI!
I uploaded emulationstation ubuntu 18.04. I have uploaded roms to the psx folder, but they are not visible. For PSP and nes are visible. Why can't I see psx games?

rooted

Re: Current Image Issues /Observations (02/06/2020 Ubuntu 18.04 Reference Image)

Unread post by rooted » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

m8kbv wrote:HI!
I uploaded emulationstation ubuntu 18.04. I have uploaded roms to the psx folder, but they are not visible. For PSP and nes are visible. Why can't I see psx games?
The first post in this thread gives you the answer:

viewt...pic.php?f=195&p=280188#p280188

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 pm

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Maybe this text needs to be added to existing text or that text and that one needs to be added?

m8kbv
Odroid Go Advance

Unread post by m8kbv » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 pm

rooted wrote:

I pasted the text from the link removing previous entries, I still can't see psx games.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 am

m8kbv wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 pm
rooted wrote:

I pasted the text from the link removing previous entries, I still can't see psx games.
Check your PlayStation file extensions. Right now, only .img, .7z, .pbp, .cue, .iso are installed but there may be some that are just labelled .bin. You can add that yourself if you want, though I find using a PBP packer (Originally meant for PSP games) works really well with keeping everything together so that if you have say a .cue and a .bin in the same folder, you don't get duplicates. If you have .bin files but no .cue, I recommend using a .cue generator (You can find some on Google). Helps keep the sanity by avoiding duplicates. So far only .cue and .bin files suffer this duplication issue so you have to kinda choose one or the other, but sometimes a .cue file will contain special track information (Like Wipeout 3) to play music from the .bin file. This is something you can run into pretty much any retroarch/Emulationstation based emulation system, really.

ptrm
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: Go, Go Advance

Unread post by ptrm » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:18 pm

deerwings wrote:
*Connectivity
None. You will need a separate Wifi adapter to access it. Once you have, you can use SSH to connect to it.
I have not seen it explicitly mentioned so far on the forums, but most android (and most surely iOS) phones have the usb tethering capability. This works fine for me as bith wifi and 3g connectivity adapter. Plus, there are many SMB/sftp apps for android which should make game management more portable.

So far I have only tried scraping (I'm waiting for more customizable roms before getting to play on the console), but there should be no trouble to connect to the go's ip and use smb.

EDIT: so what I mean is in short plugging the phone via usb to the Go Advance, clicking the "usb connected for file management" notification in the notification panel, selecting "usb tethering in the menu that appears", and after checking your ip on the Go, trying sftp://192.168.42.123 or \\192.168.42.123 (as Go probably get recognized by the host name)

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 am

ptrm wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:18 pm
deerwings wrote:
*Connectivity
None. You will need a separate Wifi adapter to access it. Once you have, you can use SSH to connect to it.
EDIT: so what I mean is in short plugging the phone via usb to the Go Advance, clicking the "usb connected for file management" notification in the notification panel, selecting "usb tethering in the menu that appears", and after checking your ip on the Go, trying sftp://192.168.42.123 or \\192.168.42.123 (as Go probably get recognized by the host name)
Theoretically this is possible. I'm mentally working out a way that you could directly plug the OGA into a computer's USB port, but I have concerns about USB-A to USB-A, and possibly overloading the port. I've used USB networking on other devices before, and it's something that should be possible with the OGA, but I need to make a daughterboard that isolates the power (And possibly could route the power to the barrel jack so you can charge and data at the same time) but I need to sit down and fiddle with it for a while. I've got the parts, I just haven't had the time.

kavag
ODROIDs: go advance

Unread post by kavag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 am

Sega Genesis emulation is not working. I placed the roms (unzipped .md) into the megadrive directory and EmulationStation can see them, but when I click on one of the games the screen goes black for a few seconds and then takes me back to the EmulationStation interface. I verified the roms - I could run them on my laptop without issues. Sega CD is working fine for me.

kavag
ODROIDs: go advance

Unread post by kavag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 am

kavag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 am
Sega Genesis emulation is not working. I placed the roms (unzipped .md) into the megadrive directory and EmulationStation can see them, but when I click on one of the games the screen goes black for a few seconds and then takes me back to the EmulationStation interface. I verified the roms - I could run them on my laptop without issues. Sega CD is working fine for me.
I used es_systems.cfg from another thread posted here. The megadrive section had a mistake in the command - I replaced it with the command from the genesis section and it works now.

deerwings

Unread post by deerwings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:59 am

kavag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 am
kavag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:07 am
I used es_systems.cfg from another thread posted here. The megadrive section had a mistake in the command - I replaced it with the command from the genesis section and it works now.
You're right. I've fixed it.

wingzero
ODROIDs: odroid go advance

Unread post by wingzero » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 am

PSX has no in-game save function. After rebooting OGA, all save slots are lost.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:18 am

wingzero wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:00 am
PSX has no in-game save function. After rebooting OGA, all save slots are lost.
This issue was identified and will be fixed in the next release:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=37738#p280827

Return to “Issues”