PSA: Don't run gluster on HC1/HC2/XU4/MC1

legogris
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

PSA: Don't run gluster on HC1/HC2/XU4/MC1

Unread post by legogris » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 pm

The CPU in these is 32bit, and GlusterFS versions > 4.0 have been reported to be extremely unstable or even unrunnable on arm32.
They have announced dropping official support: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/s ... it-support

It's very unfortunate as the HC2 is otherwise a perfectly tailored device for running Gluster and I imagine many have been buying these devices specifically for this purpose.

Any plans on an HC3 with arm64 capabilities?
These users thanked the author legogris for the post:
o_lampe (Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:46 pm)

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Re: PSA: Don't run gluster on HC1/HC2/XU4/MC1

Unread post by elatllat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:54 am

There are a lot of things that require 64bit (MongoDB), or more RAM (git kernel.org), that's why we have the H2 and N2.

legogris
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by legogris » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 pm

The N2 is a different kind of board alltogether; bigger, lots of more ports, none of which a SATA connector, so it's not really an alternative for the use-case of running a distributed storage cluster of SATA disks.

I posted this because I've seen several people do how-tos and show-and-tells of their HC1/2 glusterfs setups and even with plenty of research I almost fell into the trap of buying a couple specifically to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad board or anything, just that it's an easy mistake that many did and it's better for everyone if there are no bad surprises - less informed users might have lots of issues and decide that either glusterfs and/or odroid is crap, which is not the case.

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 pm

IMO the N2 and H2 are better alternatives for gluster/ceph/zfs/etc.
H2 can have 32GB RAM, SATA, and 10GbE, but I prefer USB because there is no limit to the drives per node.

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”