Planning an XU4 project for outdoor usage (Odroid GPS module)

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, H2.

Planning an XU4 project for outdoor usage (Odroid GPS module)

Unread post by domih » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:53 pm

This is a follow up of viewtopic.php?f=97&t=37526.

I've got a pretty stable Odroid GPS module using FoxtrotGPS. I kept it running for 4 hours without a glitch and the receiver is inside an apartment, not outdoor.

I finally found the "culprit" to make it fail and it's 100% reproducible. See picture at the bottom.

In order to eliminate the power variable, I use the XU4 with its PSU connected to the wall. I also use a powered USB 2.0 hub and a powered USB 3.0, both powered from their respective PSU connected to the wall. You can also see in the picture a WD 250GB SSD not plugged in the USB 3.0 hub.

The behavior is quite simple:
1. Without an SSD plugged in the USB 3.0 hub, FoxtrotGPS gets the correct data from the GPS module.
2. As soon as the SSD is plugged in (and auto-mounted) FoxtrotGPS stops getting the data from the GPS module.
3. As soon as I unplug the SSD, FoxtrotGPS gets again the correct data from the GPS module.

I reproduce the issue 100% trying different USB/SATA3 and even a flash drive:
- 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
- 174c:1351 ASMedia Technology Inc.
- 0951:1666 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2

I'm now in the process of disabling the USB auto-mount. On the XU4 the 'usbmount' apt package is not installed. I disabled 'udisks2' but the SSD still auto-mounts. So I guess there is yet another auto-mount mechanism I have to find.
20200131_231054.png
20200131_231054.png (2.84 MiB) Viewed 782 times

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Planning an XU4 project for outdoor usage (Odroid GPS module)

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Can you run dmesg -w and see if there are any usb errors when attaching the ssd?

domih

Unread post by domih » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:44 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:43 pm
Can you run dmesg -w and see if there are any usb errors when attaching the ssd?
No, the mounting of the SSD goes fine. See attached dmesg-w.txt. Note: don't mind about the "print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0" that's when I disconnect the SSD without caring about using Eject or Unmount. Regarding "Optimal transfer size 33553920 bytes not a multiple of physical block size (4096 bytes)" I believe it is because I used parted instead of fdisk. Inside parted "align-check optimal 1" is happy.

I notice that the console "gpsmon" is less sensitive to it than FoxtrotGPS. Sometimes it is not affected at all, sometimes it recovers the signal from the GPS module. In contrast, with FoxtrotGPS it's like an On/Off situation. Only once I had the sequence: no SSD attached, run gpsmon OK, attach SSD, gpsmon loses signal and recovers it after a few seconds, quit gpsmon, open FoxtrotGPS... and it worked while the SSD was still attached and mounted. I could not reproduce though.

I'm still looking for how to disable the automount and mount manually to see if it has an effect.
Attachments
dmesg-w.txt
(33.39 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

o_lampe
languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: MC1 solo

Unread post by o_lampe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Is it necessary to connect the GPS module to USB3.0? Will it be worse with all the other devices on USB2?
-just thinking out loud-
Olaf

domih

Unread post by domih » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm

o_lampe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm
Is it necessary to connect the GPS module to USB3.0? Will it be worse with all the other devices on USB2?
-just thinking out loud-
Olaf
No, the GPS module is connected to USB 2.0. Only the SSD goes to USB 3.0.

I'm starting to suspect it is related to testing from inside an apartment and has nothing to do with the SSD being attached or not(*). I will test further outdoor. It's going to take 1+ week, I first need to assemble the thing into a portable/mobile manner with a 12v battery. I'll post the results once I've done it.

(*) Reason I think so: I did got the GPS signal with gpsmon while the SSD was attached and now twice with FoxtrotGPS. So it could just be the GPS module not getting the signal correctly from 3 or more satellites. So it could just be some half-coincidental pattern. I'm a GPS newbie, so I'm for now relying on empirical testing...

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Many low cost USB type GPS receivers have relatively poor RF sensitivity.
So we had to place the receiver on a fully open space not a window side in a building.

gilray4
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU-4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by gilray4 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

domih:
I would love to hear an update on your build ?
I am particularly interested in what you come up with for a weatherproof enclosure for the Odroid ?

For the sake of DIY waterproof enclosures, I wish the SoC and/or heatsink were the tallest relief on the board. The positioning of the terminals relative to the SoC/heatsink make it very difficult to isolate the two (the board and the heatsink exposure).

That said I have been wondering, is the heatsink and SoC 'married'? Or can they (heatsinks) be interchanged like a CPU chip, heatsink ?
Also... I would love to find without hrs of surfing, good waterproof/sealable USB connectors/terminals that could mount on the wall of a box enclosure.
(and supershort USB 'jumpers' for that matter)

Regarding: GPS, navigational builds and use cases, a good thread is here:
(just remember to check the time stamps, some info is deprecated)

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5226

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”