chatplosion
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2 4GB-RAM CoreELEC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows 10 for ARM64 (Desktop!) Odroid-N2

Unread post by chatplosion » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Dear community,

after I have seen that ARM64 Raspberry Pi and Nokia Lumia 950XL do run Windows 10 ARM64 Desktop, I asked myself why can't Odroid-N2 do it?
It is not about technical restrictions of the CPU-Cluster. I believe that there are limitations in the Firmware. Or at last

But more interesting is what are the exact names of the built-in devices? I believe that the devices are already supportet on Windows 10 1909 ARM64.

If the community reminds itself that the Odroid-N2 is compared in a Benchmark with the Raspberry Pi, which csan run Windows 10 (Desktop) ARM64,
it should be realized just to validate the Odroid-N2's superiority.

For me it is no Problem to get the release and preview install Image files. But there are steps to do that are far from my technical abilities to get a
usable installer.

To HARdKERNEL, the community and the developer:

Please do something to get Windows 10 working

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Re: Windows 10 for ARM64 (Desktop!) Odroid-N2

Unread post by igorpec » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:21 pm

> Please do something to get Windows 10 working

Most of people that invest their time to support Linux in their free time ... doesn't care about Windows.

Raspberry Pi is partially owned by MS, so its normal to see Windows there. Nokia was also once from MS.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

cdu13a
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Unread post by cdu13a » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 am

Microsoft is the only entity that could make this happen, and would need Amlogic's support in doing so, and neither have any reason to do it.
They are the ones with the source code, and other required info, so the only ones that could do a port.

Then to top it off if you wanted a GUI you would need to convince ARM to create windows drivers for the mali GPU.
If you wanted a lot of the various other parts to work you would need to convince the owners of the respective IP to create drivers for their parts.

In short an OS is not a simple thing, there are a lot of parts that have to fit together, and it's a lot of work to get it to work anywhere.

chatplosion
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2 4GB-RAM CoreELEC

Unread post by chatplosion » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm

Windows 10 ARM64 on Raspberry Pi is definetly not a port. It is the same out of the box Windows like PC and Notebook use.
The Problem was how to get a functional bootloader for the Raspberry Pi. The OS is a real ARM64 native with the same build versions like the official x86 and x64.
The ARM64 are in virtualization completely compatible with WIN x86 Software.
Microsoft supports ARM64 processors.
I also have a Microsoft Surface X with ARM64 Windows 10 1903 and it runs efficent.
I see the potential in Petitboot to become the universal ARM64 cross OS bootloader that can manage the booting of Windows 10 (Desktop) ARM64.

I believe in the competence and skills of the People of HARdKERNEL, the comunity and the developer.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 am

Booting is one thing, but once booted, that OS would need drivers to support the hardware it's running on. That means, graphics, usb, network, sound, etc. Some come as proprietary blobs (e.g. graphics), others may be more open (but microsoft would need to write the dll to support it).

NestorGonzalez
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread post by NestorGonzalez » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:34 pm

chatplosion wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm
Windows 10 ARM64 on Raspberry Pi is definetly not a port. It is the same out of the box Windows like PC and Notebook use.
The Problem was how to get a functional bootloader for the Raspberry Pi. The OS is a real ARM64 native with the same build versions like the official x86 and x64.
The ARM64 are in virtualization completely compatible with WIN x86 Software.
Microsoft supports ARM64 processors.
I also have a Microsoft Surface X with ARM64 Windows 10 1903 and it runs efficent.
I see the potential in Petitboot to become the universal ARM64 cross OS bootloader that can manage the booting of Windows 10 (Desktop) ARM64.
I believe in the competence and skills of the People of HARdKERNEL, the comunity and the developer.
It would be cool if Petitboot became the universal ARM64 bootloader. But I do not know how this is possible.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:19 pm

Petitboot can only use kexec to load a different linux/android kernel. It can't load other OSes.

Return to “The Ideas”