Network controller not showing after reboot

MWhapples
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Network controller not showing after reboot

Unread post by MWhapples » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:35 am

I have installed fedora 31 on my XU4 following the instructions at https://blog.pcfe.net/hugo/posts/2019-0 ... droid-hc2/ and things generally are working well. NOTE: I am using it as a headless server so I don't know or care what the graphics support is like. This is using the mainline fedora kernel, 5.4.13-201.fc31.armv7hl.
The biggest problem I am noticing is that the network controller becomes unavailable when I do a reboot (IE. shutdown -r now). In such a case when I check the output of lsusb (connected via a serial console) the network controller is not showing.
This only seems to be the case for a reboot, if I shutdown and then power on by pressing the power button the network controller shows up and works correctly.
I have done a google search and not finding a solution. The closest I find is people with the same realtek network controller saying that there network controller stops working after a time and needs plugging in again. The cause in those cases seems to be USB autosuspend. On the XU4 it is not possible to do the unplug and plug in again as its built into the board. However when I check /sys/bus/usb/devices/6-1/power/control the value is on, which I understand means the device should not be using autosuspend.
I am at a bit of a loss what else to try, does anyone have any thoughts? What could be different between reboot (shutdown -r) and power off (shutdown -h) and switching on again?

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: Network controller not showing after reboot

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 am

I don't know where the 5.4 kernel comes from, but I'd try to build it from memeka'a branch instead, since it's not a generic kernel and has platform specific teaks

MWhapples
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Network controller not showing after reboot

Unread post by MWhapples » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:07 am

It is the standard generic fedora ARM kernel. I really hadn't wanted to go to the effort of going down the route of having to compile and manage my own kernel, particularly as in the main the mainline fedora one works fine for my needs. Providing I have physical access to the board whenever I want to restart it this isn't too much of a problem providing I remember to do shutdown and power on instead of reboot.
I have an external USB hub with network adapter which reports to be the same realtek controller, so I may see whether that suffers the same issue as the XU4's built in network controller. If it does then I will see what can be done upstream.

Return to “Issues”