OGST linux kernel update? [unresolvable at this time]

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
auriuman78
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 w/OGST package; 2 MC1 clusters

OGST linux kernel update? [unresolvable at this time]

Unread post by auriuman78 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 am

I'm looking to use a dual shock 4 controller with my XU4 OGST, but it is not supported by the 3.10 kernel. What is the appropriate way to update the kernel?

I have attempted to upgrade by

Code: Select all

apt install linux-image-4.9.xxx.etc 
and it appears to work. It reboots, the controller works (kind of), but my N64 TFT display stops working. After trying some modprobe attempts on the fbtft_device I get errors that link back to the old 3.10.xxx kernel modprober.
Last edited by auriuman78 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

auriuman78
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 w/OGST package; 2 MC1 clusters

Re: OGST linux kernel update?

Unread post by auriuman78 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 am

I just did some research I thought was unrelated and discovered that there's a lot more to kernel updates than just installing a new kernel. For now I'll assume this is a work in progress and will hope for the best in my tinkering ventures.

If I can manage to get a newer kernel update into the OGST image that doesn't have broken stuff everywhere, I'll post my findings here on the forum. I'd need help testing of course.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: OGST linux kernel update? [unresolvable at this time]

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am

There is a Kernel 4.14 available.. The Kernel 4.9 is kinda discontinued by HardKernel and with that also for this image, but Kernel 4.14 does work.
You might be correct though, that you might need to do additional steps, there is a newer version of the armsoc driver, that supports G2D acceleration on Kernel 4.14 which might be needed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “OGST-XU4”