[OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance)

Third party OS images and hardware mods
meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

[OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance)

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

I've ported Debian Buster to the ODROID Go Advance (GO2) mainly to test compatibility with already existing software and to test what are the capabilities of the GO2 aside from being a gaming handheld.

This image is meant for development, server tasks, and testing. it is NOT meant as a gaming image for the GO2

It is highly recommended to use a keyboard with this image. I also suggest you use a USB Hub to connect different devices to the GO2 at the same time, like WLAN, keyboard (and mouse).
Download: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Bu ... GO2.img.xz md5 sha512 sig

Size compressed: 104MB
Size uncompressed: 768 MB

Default Login: root
Default Password: odroid

First things first:
Since there's constantly new development for this image and ODROIDs in general the First thing you should do after the image is up and running is to install all updates:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade
Hints:
Changing language:
If you install a Desktop environment you should already have keybord-configuration installed, it will ask upon the first installation what keyboard layout it should use.
This configuration is for your X11 Desktop so you have your desired keyboard layout.
For console you need to install console-setup to do the same, so just in case:

apt-get install console-setup keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
should be all that is needed to change your keyboard layout.
You probably want to set timezone as well

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
Setting up WLAN from command line
Edit the file /etc/network/interfaces or create a new one under /etc/network/interfaces.d/ and add the following lines

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-essid <NAME-OF-YOUR-WLAN>
    wpa-psk <WLAN-PASSWORD>
If you're using a "hidden" network, please also add wpa-scan-ssid 1

Currently the image is marked as 0.9 as I still need to upload some software.
setup-odroid (although already installed) needs to be updated to incorporate my latest changes, after which installation of Desktop and other things should work fine.
I also need to upload a couple more drivers in the next couple days, to better support GPU on the system.

Let me know if you have any ideas or comments.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 4):
rooted (Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:25 pm) • tobetter (Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm) • mad_ady (Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 pm) • shanti (Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:17 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: [OS] Debian Buster (for ODROID Go Advance)

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Was wondering whether you'd rebase your packages for ubuntu or go with debian...
:)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm

It's great that he continues to support Debian, though Ubuntu usually has newer development libraries I run Debian for long term stability on my "mission critical" devices.

I have been running it on both my Cloudshell for two or three years and have had zero problems, only ever needing a reboot for kernel updates.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 am

mad_ady wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 pm
Was wondering whether you'd rebase your packages for ubuntu or go with debian...
:)
Ubu-what? :P
Why should I change anything? The packages already exists for Debian Buster, just need to add a few more ;)
rooted wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 pm
It's great that he continues to support Debian, though Ubuntu usually has newer development libraries...
That's not necessarily true.
First of all I "need" the longer release cycles for Debian, as I do all the work on my own.
That being said, there's still Ubuntu LTS releases, but they are not that "current" either, on the contrary.
While Debian has it's "backport" repository, Ubuntu is often stucked on old software if you go for LTS.
I was using MATE Desktop half a year (or a year not sure) before HK was using it, already all the way back in Debian Wheezy, as it was available through backporst from Debian Jessie, long before Debian Jessie was released, and long before it was adapted by Ubuntu or HardKernel.
Ubuntu 18.04 -> Qt5 5.9
Debian Buster -> Qt5 5.11
and you still have to wait until April this year to get a newer version for Ubuntu LTS (20.04).

Both OSes have their benefits and I also use Ubuntu on my main Laptop, so I'm not against Ubuntu, it just doesn't fit my workflow for the ODROIDs, and back when I started with Debian Wheezy, Debian was also a lot faster than Ubuntu.
And nowadays it's at least smaller in size ;)
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
rooted (Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 am

Ok, I switched to meveric's debian. Used setup-odroid to install Mate. Enabled autologin in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=adrianp
user-session=mate
autologin-user-timeout=5
display-setup-script=/usr/local/bin/rotate-display.sh

The autorotation script does the following rotation + scaling to 720 x 480:

$ sudo cat /usr/local/bin/rotate-display.sh
#!/bin/sh

xrandr -o left
xrandr --output DSI-1 --scale 1.5x1.5
I'll try to play with getting buttons working under x11.
On a personal note - wifi is really bad with NetworkManager and wifi0. It keeps dropping and reconnecting. It was pretty stable with /etc/network/interfaces though...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:52 am

yep I remember I haven't uploaded the latest setup-odroid it takes care of the latest settings for X11.
I have to check that first.

I also use WLAN over network/interfaces and it's very stable.

Return to “Projects”