built in controller support outside ES

Mog
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODroid Go
Has thanked: 0

built in controller support outside ES

Unread post by Mog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 am

Hi

Is there any way to use the gamepad (for example as cursor keys/enter/escape etc.) outside ES?

For example to control a dialog based menu that might start before emulationstation to enable the selecting of things without a keyboard?

(I realise the stock firmware will just boot straight into ES but this is too much of a general purpose Linux system for me to just use it for games, particularly as 480x320 will enable an 80x25 (well, 26) terminal using the 6x12 terminus font so console apps should be very readable on it)

Also, how much current will be available to the USB port? Would a keyboard/mouse/wifi dongle connected to a USB2 hub be doable?

Is an official addon keyboard specifically for it being planned? Wondering if it might be possible to create a tiny USB keyboard that'd fit with the size of the device using a PIC18F2550 or 18F4550 as the controller if it isn't as I've used those as USB HID devices before...

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance

Re: built in controller support outside ES

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:39 am

Joystick and buttons appear as /dev/input/ items and generate keycodes when pressed. The dpad generates arrow keys, the rest need to be mapped to something useful. I have an old tool that can remap keys and handle double clicks or long presses: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... rnHb9JO7J4

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 am

RetroPie uses the following to do it:
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... joy2key.py

kelbot
ODROIDs: C2, HC2 x2, Go
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kelbot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am

I'm 100% with you on the bit about it being too useful to just play games. I'm hoping someone makes a sort of hybrid image that has a way to switch back and forth between EmulationStation/Batocera/Lakka/whatever and a general desktop environment.

Not sure this is what you're looking for but here is a tool that might be useful for what you're talking about. http://qjoypad.sourceforge.net/
...QJoyPad takes input from a gamepad or joystick and translates it into key strokes or mouse actions, letting you control any XWindows program with your game controller...

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm

kelbot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am
I'm hoping someone makes a sort of hybrid image that has a way to switch back and forth
There will be a Ubuntu 18.04 Minimal Image provided. This is currently the foundation used for the emulation reference image. Its likely an X11 image will also be produced pending further testing of that environment.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
kelbot (Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 pm)

Return to “General Topics”