CoreELEC update nag dialog box

KnightAzul
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CoreELEC update nag dialog box

Unread post by KnightAzul » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:50 am

Hi,

I have CoreELEC 9.2.0 installed on my Odroid C2. Ever since the release of CoreELEC 9.2.1 a few days ago, I have been receiving an update nag dialog box on the homescreen asking me if I want to update. I click "No", and then it appears again the next day, and so on.

In the CoreELEC settings I have:
Automatic updates = Manual
Show update notifications = Off
Show custom channels = Off

Is anyone else getting this update nag dialog box and does anyone know how to get rid of it!
I'll update when I am good and ready! :)

Thanks,
KnightAzul

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Re: CoreELEC update nag dialog box

Unread post by cdu13a » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 am

You are not the only one getting the update notification despite believing that you turned it off.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it, that wouldn't require an update. :(

CoreELEC Settings, and the notification system needs some rework, since as you see some of the settings involving updates don't do what is expected based on their name and description, there are some feature improvements that could happen here as well.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm

cdu13a wrote:You are not the only one getting the update notification despite believing that you turned it off.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it, that wouldn't require an update. :(

CoreELEC Settings, and the notification system needs some rework, since as you see some of the settings involving updates don't do what is expected based on their name and description, there are some feature improvements that could happen here as well.
But why is it upgrading to 9.2.0 when I'm running a nightly? This is on an N2 but it's likely the same on the C2.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Unread post by cdu13a » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:12 pm

rooted wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm
But why is it upgrading to 9.2.0 when I'm running a nightly? This is on an N2 but it's likely the same on the C2.
It should have updated everyone on nightly builds to the 9.2.1 stable build which is pretty much the same as last nightly build was, instead of the 9.2.0 build.

But as for a reason why this happened. CoreELEC is about to start public testing of a new kernel, and possibly a few other big changes. Which left the team with a dilemma. We had a lot of user on the nightly builds who had come to expect the nightly builds to be relatively stable with few surprises, and we are about to introduce what could end up being a big surprise to anybody that wasn't expecting the nightly builds to actually live up to the warning about them being an unstable testing build. So it was decided that since we didn't have a reliable way to make sure we could warn everyone and be sure they got the message, that the safest thing was to just update everyone using the nightly builds to the new stable build, which is functionally the same as the last nightly build anyways. Then we would know that anybody that was using the new nightly builds was using it because they wanted to help test the new kernel and knew the risk of it being unstable and not just because they where using the nightly builds while waiting for the next stable build to include a fix that was important to them, and had some how missed the message it was time to switch back to stable.
These users thanked the author cdu13a for the post:
rooted (Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

I never saw a message about switching to stable but I fully understand the reasoning with your explanation.

I'm guessing you are going to test 5.y? I didn't think the VPU was sorted yet, no h.265 or HDR right?

(Also I meant it updates to 9.2.1)

*edit*
Thanks for the PM and information.

Return to “CoreELEC/LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2”