languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is ODROID-H2 capable of doing RAID-10?

Post by zetoune »

Hi there,

A little bit of context:
I have an old server I want to replace. It's big, it's loud. I think the ODROID-H2 could replace it. According to Cpu Benchmark, my old dual XEON is still more powerful than ODROID-H2 but the main purpose of it would be a Plex Server. And when it needs to encode files the CPU goes up to 100%.
ODROID-H2 is Intel® Quick Sync Video enable so it should be able to encode way better than the Xeon.

I have 8 drives configured as 2 RAID-10. I've seen this post https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-h2/appli ... ata_drives which gave me big hope of using all my drives with the ODROID-H2. Because I can't use my PCIe RAID controller with the ODROID-H2, I'm wondering whether I can recreate the 2 RAID-10 with `mdadm` and whether the ODROID-H2 CPU is powerful enough to handle this configuration without performance decrease.

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, H2, C4, H2+

Re: Is ODROID-H2 capable of doing RAID-10?

Post by domih »

zetoune wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:58 am
Because I can't use my PCIe RAID controller with the ODROID-H2.
What is the brand and model of your PCIe RAID controller?

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720? Why?

domih
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: UX4, HC2, N2, H2, C4, H2+

Post by domih »

zetoune wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:40 am
HighPoint RocketRAID 2720? Why?
According to https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/seri ... cation.htm, this card is a PCIe 2.0 x8. The Odroid H2 offers PCIe 2.0 x4 via the NMVe slot provided you use a PCIe adapter ($30~$50). For details see discussions there:
- viewtopic.php?f=171&t=34188
- viewtopic.php?f=171&t=35812
- viewtopic.php?f=171&t=37085
- viewtopic.php?f=171&t=35614

See also section PCIe with H2 in https://magazine.odroid.com/article/net ... odroid-h2/

I believe PCI 2.0 x4 should give you more bandwidth than multiplexing 4 disks on each SATA3 port from the board.

The tricks are:
- Delivery from Aliexpress will take a few weeks.
- There is no 100% guaranty that your card will be recognized. Not all the PCIe cards I tried were recognized.
- The Odroid H2 BIOS will not display the BIOS configuration screens of the card (see viewtopic.php?f=171&t=35812#p268227) unless HK has made an update since. This means you'll have to configure the RAID volumes from within a running OS (from the eMMC or a SATA connected to the main board.) Hopefully HighPoint provides the software to do so on Windows and/or Linux.
- If the card is recognized, it should work (meaning degrade nicely) with x4 unless HighPoint says no, you might want to check with their support before buying the PCIe adapter if you want to try this solution.

HTH

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

Thank you very much for the help.
I'm gonna look at it ;-)

Return to “General Topics”