N2 power and shutdown carpc application

JustSumDad
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: None, looking at the N2

N2 power and shutdown carpc application

Unread post by JustSumDad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 am

I am working on a CarPC application for a motorcycle. I do not yet own an N2 but I think its the most likely candidate for the project.

I am concerned with non-orderly shutdown when the bike is parked and turned off.
The battery on the bike can easily be drained by a parasitic load so I dont want to have the Odroid setup or any peripherals pull any undesired power.
When the key is off the system must not pull on the bikes battery.

So first question, is the N2 bullet proof for a disorderly/power cut shutdown?

Second, I am looking at maybe building a 12v UPS to overcome this issue, I want to use LIPO as I have limited space for another lead acid battery.
I have found plenty of DIY circuts to use a lipo pack with 12v input and charge protection, but they all seem to output 5v
Can I power the N2 from 12v and have a second circuit take over with a 5v 4amp output on say pins 2 and 6 of the expansion connector?
There should be an easy enough way to signal battery level to the N2 to trigger an orderly shutdown.

The hardware setup would be around 2.5-3amp draw @5v:
Screen: MPI7002 7" touch LCD 5v 1amp draw
128gb SSD hard drive on USB3 adapter- 5v unknown draw but likely less than 1 amp
eMMC drive for boot of android O/S

The system is planed to run KODI on the carbon skin as the primary interface.

Thanx
God I wish I could write apps!

rooted

Re: N2 power and shutdown carpc application

Unread post by rooted » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:12 am

If you use CoreELEC it would be tolerant to having the power pulled since it runs from a read only filesystem with the writing done in RAM while the device is running.

If you also keep the SSD filesystem mounted read only there would be no problem from just cutting the power at any time.

For the power I would use a lithium based PD capable power bank and one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Type-C-USB ... 3394313754

Then you would use gpio based shutdown logic to shutdown the N2. I would have the charging stop for the power bank wired to a relay controlled by gpio upon the N2 being powered off.

I'm guessing you want to use Android for navigation apps and such?
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
JustSumDad (Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:21 am)

JustSumDad

Unread post by JustSumDad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:33 am

rooted wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:12 am
If you use CoreELEC it would be tolerant to having the power pulled since it runs from a read only filesystem with the writing done in RAM while the device is running.

If you also keep the SSD filesystem mounted read only there would be no problem from just cutting the power at any time.

For the power I would use a lithium based PD capable power bank and one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Type-C-USB ... 3394313754

Then you would use gpio based shutdown logic to shutdown the N2. I would have the charging stop for the power bank wired to a relay controlled by gpio upon the N2 being powered off.

I'm guessing you want to use Android for navigation apps and such?
Thanx for the info! I kinda would like the system to stay live for 30-60 min after I shut the bike down so I can do stuff with it without the engine running or key on.

Yes, while it may be used for music I have other uses I want it for:
1) Google maps Nav - I will use my cell as a wifi hotspot when maps need updating, I will use offline mapping mode mostly.
2) Ham radio APRS tracking and mapping via APRSdroid app - useful when outside cell areas.
3) MPGuino interface - I plan to make a fuel tracking system called MPGuino and hope to take the output from the Arduino merge into an app on the android system for display.
4) Music - meh... maybe if I do it will be BT most likely with my helmet system.

My goal is to get it working well and not mess with it, I love to ride, I love to tinker and make things work, once they work I dont want to tinker with them anymore :)

JustSumDad

Unread post by JustSumDad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 pm

well 12v UPS issue seems to be solved!

found this:

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/appli ... ini_dc_ups

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”