X11 acceleration on XU4?

rs677567
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Been thanked: 0

X11 acceleration on XU4?

Unread post by rs677567 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:58 am

Is it normal that the Ubuntu 18.04.03 Mate desktop image has "gallium llvmpipe" as renderer? I used "glxinfo | grep render" to determine the renderer.

From my understanding and past experiences, having "llvmpipe" as renderer generally indicates that no acceleration is present and therefore X11 would also not be accelerated. I checked out other distributions aimed at the Odroid XU4 and they show the same thing.

Also: how can I check that hardware acceleration works as intended on the Odroid XU4?

Later on I would like to customize which software is installed starting from a minimal install, but it does not seem (at least to me) trivial on how to get the mali drivers installed (e.g. on Armbian Debian). I guess knowing how to check if things actually work would help me a lot with trial and error getting it working on some minimal images.

ARM is so confusing to me... all these custom images that diverge from stock Debian and you have no idea what's even good or not. I wish I could just use stock Debian netinst....

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: X11 acceleration on XU4?

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 pm

You can test acceleration with glmark2-es2
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rs677567 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 am

glxinfo is mainly for OpenGL support, which is not supported on ODROIDs which use OpenGL ES.
what you want is probably: es2_info which shows if OpenGL ES is working or not.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
rs677567 (Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rs677567

Unread post by rs677567 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Thanks, glmark2-es2 and es2_info work and I was able to use them for trial and error. It was a misunderstanding on my part, X11 itself can support OpenGL or OpenGL ES with acceleration through the drivers but the programs themselves have to be written for OpenGL ES for them to work on the Odroid XU4. So glxinfo can be used to check if OpenGL is set up correctly with hardware acceleration and the equivalent would be es2_info for OpenGL ES.

I was also thinking about general desktop environment acceleration, but to get it accelerated, the compositor must support OpenGL ES as a backend and must be configured appropriately. For KDE, KWin needs to support OpenGL ES and it fortunately does support it! I don't know if it will make the performance of effects any better, but that's a discussion for another day.

On the topic of minimal installation and how to get Mali working, I've posted a thread on the Armbian forums as that would be more appropriate there than it is here, because I am trying to set it up on the Armbian (Debian flavor) minimal image. I've got it partially working but it seems like Qt isn't patched like it is with the official Hardkernel Ubuntu images. At least that is my (maybe wrong?) conclusion after trial and error and searching and reading this forum.

Here's a link to it: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12132-h ... droid-xu4/

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Unread post by meveric » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:52 am

Armbian focuses on Kernel mostly. Applications is not their focus, nor is GPU support.
So I doubt they gonna provide a fixes Qt5 version for you, also other applications such as Kodi and other things that have to be compiled specifically for the ODROID XU4 you probably won't find on Armbian.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rs677567

Unread post by rs677567 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am

meveric wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:52 am
Armbian focuses on Kernel mostly. Applications is not their focus, nor is GPU support.
That is pretty unfortunate.
meveric wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:52 am
So I doubt they gonna provide a fixes Qt5 version for you
I'm just wondering why the Qt vendor check hasn't been upstreamed to Qt. The change should have already trickled down to Debian and Armbian if it had been upstreamed, at least that is my assumption.

I know you provide a Debian image and I have used it in the past. I liked it and it worked well, but my worry about your image is that you are a one man army like rambo and the project has a bus factor of one :lol:. I have some questions about your image but I'll post that in your thread instead.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm

@rs677567 for general desktop environment acceleration, the only compositors that support OpenGL-ES are wayland-based - mutter in gnome3, maybe kwin (did not test), weston and enlightenment.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm

but my worry about your image is that you are a one man army like rambo
I remember that Rambo was quite effective at what he did :)
Sometimes projects with one maintainer can provide better results than projects with multiple maintainers because there is a clear path forward. With multiple people each one focuses on their area of interest and may leave gaps in support.

And meveric isn't alone. He has his custom packages and the rest is maintained by Debian

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:14 pm

XU4 is one of the few ARM SBCs that does support hardware X11 acceleration. The hardware acceleration is provided by G2D and is enabled in official HardKernel Ubuntu images. For other images, you may need to compile and install the accelerated driver:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/x ... xu4-4.14.y

Acceleration = hardware bitblit including, but not limited to, DRI2 surfaces such as GLES.
These users thanked the author crashoverride for the post:
rs677567 (Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 pm)

rs677567

Unread post by rs677567 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:33 pm

memeka wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm
@rs677567 for general desktop environment acceleration, the only compositors that support OpenGL-ES are wayland-based - mutter in gnome3, maybe kwin (did not test), weston and enlightenment.
I did not test kwin but it apparently also should have it if the environment variable KWIN_OPENGL_INTERFACE is set to "egl" (https://community.kde.org/KWin/Environment_Variables).
mad_ady wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm
I remember that Rambo was quite effective at what he did :)
Sometimes projects with one maintainer can provide better results than projects with multiple maintainers because there is a clear path forward. With multiple people each one focuses on their area of interest and may leave gaps in support.

And meveric isn't alone. He has his custom packages and the rest is maintained by Debian
Indeed :mrgreen:, being Rambo is a good thing but there is always an associated risk of John J. Rambo going MIA. It's a risk I am willing to take, as I will always prefer Debian over Ubuntu and it seems like a better fit with its image and packages tailored towards Odroid compared to Armbian.

memeka
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 am

I did test kwin with egl, a while ago :)
This is LXDE with kwin as compositor with egl effects:
https://youtu.be/_oFDlQ9gu3Q

Return to “Issues”