H2 - libreelec and emulation

blofse
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

H2 - libreelec and emulation

Unread post by blofse » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for something to replace my pi3 which can emulate to a dolphin Wii and gamecube level + can handle anything throw at Kodi + ideally 4k. The Nvidia shield comes close but I want something more open as well as for £200 I should be able to get much more power.

I've seen the H2 and it looks very cool particularly from the emulation front as it seems like it can handle Wii games without much messing around, but the only issue is that seems to be running Ubuntu in the demos - not ideal for a box under your TV.

So can the H2 handle what I need first off? In particular, 4k where I have seen reports of it not handling about 30hz very well. Ideally I would like HDR support, and a nice to have of Dolby vision and HDR+10 support.

Secondly, while the H2 is very powerful, I'm struggling to find much support for it - the device seems rare and most of the posts seem to be from 2018. Has this device been replaced by a newer better arm like board?

Thirdly, in terms of libreelec and emulation on this device - is it as simple as installing the libreelec intel image then adding emulators from its own repo and running from there? Ideally I don't want to duel boot - I want to run everything from a single interface with remotes with the option of switching into emulation mode, pick up a pad and off I go, then switch back to Kodi.

I am probably asking for too much, so I'm just trying to work out what I can do here! Cheers.9
Last edited by blofse on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, H2

Re: HC2 - libreelec and emulation

Unread post by powerful owl » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 pm

FYI your thread title says HC2 not H2 and you posted this in the XU3/4/HC1/2 section.

Sorry, don't have answers to your questions about Kodi etc, although maybe the N2 might be worth a look too. The H2 hasn't been superseded, my guess as to the reasons there aren't more posts about it are because it just works. Then again, I don't do or care much about media playback. I think it's brilliant, I just wish the shipping were less and there was a better case. (Or that I had a 3D printer :lol: )

rooted

Re: H2 - libreelec and emulation

Unread post by rooted » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

If you need HDR the H2 isn't going to work, in the future it may be supported but as of now it isn't.

I don't know of an issue at 30hz, have a link?

The H2 is much more powerful that the Pi 3, I can't give a percentage. Anything you can emulate on the Pi 3 can be done on the H2 of course.

blofse

Unread post by blofse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 am

rooted wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm
If you need HDR the H2 isn't going to work, in the future it may be supported but as of now it isn't.

I don't know of an issue at 30hz, have a link?

The H2 is much more powerful that the Pi 3, I can't give a percentage. Anything you can emulate on the Pi 3 can be done on the H2 of course.
So if not the H2, do any of the other odroids support this? I would be happy with just Dreamcast emulation which I think the N2 can handle. Is that right?
Otherwise it might be a pi4 but I don't think that has the power enough for decent dolphin emulation

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:20 am

The N2 has HDR support, and I believe it has good dolphin emulation.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:42 am

Moved to H2 sub-forum.

Anyway, Dolphin GameCube emulator doesn't work well on the N2. It barely works.
H2 runs it much much better.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
rooted (Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 am)

blofse

Unread post by blofse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm

odroid wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:42 am
Moved to H2 sub-forum.

Anyway, Dolphin GameCube emulator doesn't work well on the N2. It barely works.
H2 runs it much much better.
I'd settle for good Dreamcast emulation and good streaming support, HDR included. Does the N2 handle Dreamcast well via running from coreelec or libreelec? Or is it a doddle with dual boot emmc or emmc+sd card?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:29 pm

EmuELEC supports the Dreamcast via lr-flycast and lr-reicast. I think it works well even we didn't test it.
https://github.com/EmuELEC/EmuELEC/wiki ... flycast%3F

The RA(RetroAreana) OS seems to support a good Dreamcast emulation too.

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Playback in Kodi is superb so far. Everything works - frame rate switching, passthrough audio, 4k60 10bit video. HDR support has apparently landed in kernel 5.3 and now we just need software to add support. Took a bit of setting up to get it right in ubuntu 19.10, but libreelec didn't have any glaring issues with playback, though I didnt test it extensively. As for emulation, I have only tested snes + n64 so far. Mario Kart 64 w/ angrylion via retroarch didnt run full speed. It runs fine in mupen64plus. I think this machine will be able to play light wii games and probably struggle with more demanding gc games, but thats just a hunch.
These users thanked the author teeedubb for the post:
rooted (Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 am)

blofse

Unread post by blofse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:29 pm

teeedubb wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Playback in Kodi is superb so far. Everything works - frame rate switching, passthrough audio, 4k60 10bit video. HDR support has apparently landed in kernel 5.3 and now we just need software to add support. Took a bit of setting up to get it right in ubuntu 19.10, but libreelec didn't have any glaring issues with playback, though I didnt test it extensively. As for emulation, I have only tested snes + n64 so far. Mario Kart 64 w/ angrylion via retroarch didnt run full speed. It runs fine in mupen64plus. I think this machine will be able to play light wii games and probably struggle with more demanding gc games, but thats just a hunch.
I take it your refering to the H2 rather than the N2, or do you mean the other way around?

teeedubb

Unread post by teeedubb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Yeah the H2

Return to “General Topics”