Recomendation for OS

Truly
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Recomendation for OS

Unread post by Truly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:26 am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running OSMC as operating system with Transmission, CouchPotato, SickChill and NextCloud on my Raspberry Pi 3B with 2TB external USB HDD.
It's connected to my TV and serves well as HTMC.

I'm now looking for Odroid N2 board to create the same setup with Transmission, CouchPotato, SickChill, NextCloud and Kodi.
I expect that with better CPU, more RAM, Gigabit ethernet and USB 3.0 port, it would provide much better performance then my Raspberry Pi.

What would be your recommendation for OS taking in mind that it has to be 64-bit?

joshua.yang
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2, N2

Re: Recomendation for OS

Unread post by joshua.yang » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 am

Hi,

IMO, it depends on how much you're familiar with Linux system.
If you can build your own media server from scratch, you can use our Ubuntu Minimal image simply. :)
If you want to get a sort of help from the OS, not a bare OS, OpenMediaVault on Debian (viewtopic.php?t=34464#p253353) or Armbian or DietPi would be good for you.

But, at least for the sake of Kodi, I think it'd be better to build with Docker on minimal OS. The services you mentioned all are provided as a Docker image by LinuxServer.io.
Please refer to this page: https://fleet.linuxserver.io/
These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post:
Truly (Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 am)

Truly

Unread post by Truly » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:45 am

I'm fairly new to Linux and I started a year ago with Raspberry Pi with the idea to create a HTMC that will also be accessible outside of my home network.

I chose OSMC as it is a version of Debian focused on Kodi and it lets you install other software. So I install and set up CouchPotato, SickChill and Transmission through console (SSH). Later I added Samba server, NextCloud with LetsEncrypt certification and UFW. Then port forwarding so that I can externally access my media in NextCloud over WebDAV.
Then SD card got corrupted so I had to do it all over again and learned how to make SD card images for backup :)

If Ubuntu Minimal image has everything necessary for this setup, I guess I can install everything through console. The only thing I haven't installed yet is Kodi as it comes with OSMC already, but I see that there is a version for Ubuntu and I assume it should not be a problem to install.
joshua.yang wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:39 am
But, at least for the sake of Kodi, I think it'd be better to build with Docker on minimal OS. The services you mentioned all are provided as a Docker image by LinuxServer.io.
Please refer to this page: https://fleet.linuxserver.io/
I'm not familiar with Docker at all, but I'm ready to learn :)
What did you mean by for the sake of Kodi I should go with Docker?

joshua.yang
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2, N2

Unread post by joshua.yang » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

It sounds like you are already an expert for Linux system. :)

"For the sake of Kodi" means that, while we're providing Kodi for those who use Odroid as a media device, but it is not to all of the distributions but to ours, Ubuntu Mate and Ubuntu Minimal.
So, if you're willing to use Kodi out of the box, you should choose our Ubuntu image. If it isn't run like that out of the box, you post here and we will look into that. :)

Truly

Unread post by Truly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:47 am

Ok, great. I'll go with Ubuntu minimal.
I've read in the Demystifying Odroid N2 hardware acceleration topic that it can do hardware accelerated Kodi, so can I expect 4k 60Hz reproduction?

Also, a couple of questions that are off topic:
  • You can find 3 different 16GB eMMC modules for N2 on Ameridroid - green dot, red dot and black dot. Is there any difference between them?
  • Since I will be using N2 with WD My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 HDD (WDBS4B0020BOR-WESN), will 12V/2A Power Supply be enough? It worked on Raspberry Pi 3B with 5V/3A Power Supply.

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:22 am

Truly wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:47 am
Ok, great. I'll go with Ubuntu minimal.
I've read in the Demystifying Odroid N2 hardware acceleration topic that it can do hardware accelerated Kodi, so can I expect 4k 60Hz reproduction?

Also, a couple of questions that are off topic:
  • You can find 3 different 16GB eMMC modules for N2 on Ameridroid - green dot, red dot and black dot. Is there any difference between them?
  • Since I will be using N2 with WD My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 HDD (WDBS4B0020BOR-WESN), will 12V/2A Power Supply be enough? It worked on Raspberry Pi 3B with 5V/3A Power Supply.
Green dot = Android for N2
Red dot = Linux for N2
Black dot = mystery - we don't have a black dot

I would recommend going at least a size larger than 12V/2A if you'll be running an external HDD that pulls its power over USB. Just to be safe.
These users thanked the author Ameridroid for the post:
Truly (Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 am)

Truly

Unread post by Truly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 am

Thanks for the answers Ameridroid!
I couldn't find the way to ask the questions on your site (Contact us or something similar) so I asked here.

Regarding the Black dot eMMC module, I've read it here:

What would be your recommendation for the Power Supply?
I've found 12V/3A and 12V/5A, although both are for ROCKPro64.
Would any of the 2 work with N2?

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 am

Oh, the Black eMMC modules are the ones with the black PCB. Those were made for a time by HK for the ODROID-C series of SBCs, but are no longer produced. The "dots" are represented by colored stickers placed on the eMMC chip to show what OS image it has and the size of the eMMC in GB.

Regarding the power supply, it was my mistake to suggest a different power supply. HK only authorizes the 12V/2A power supply for use with the N2. It should be sufficient for your needs.

To contact us directly, use the "Contact" link in the footer of each page which points to https://ameridroid.com/pages/contact
These users thanked the author Ameridroid for the post:
Truly (Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 am)

Truly

Unread post by Truly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 am

That's great - thanks again.

I'm about to order ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Edition, eMMC and USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer.

In my cart there is Route Shipping Insurance, while my cheapest shipping option is Globegistics eCom Packet (average 7-14 days, speed not guaranteed, not insured). So I'm confused now, do I have the shipping insurance or not?

Also, I got a warring because N2 has to be pre-ordered:
Warning: you have pre-order and in-stock items in the same cart
Shipment of your in-stock items may be delayed until your pre-order item is ready for shipping. To ensure faster delivery of your in-stock items, we recommend making two separate orders - one for your pre-order items and one for your in-stock items
If I make 2 separate orders, won't I be paying twice for shipment?

Ameridroid

Unread post by Ameridroid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:52 am

@Truly Route Shipping Insurance is independent of the shipping choice. So it is insured if you select Route Insurance even if the shipping option does not have any "built-in" insurance. I've updated the wording on the shipping to make it less confusing. Thanks for the advice.

We have more N2 4GB units on the way and they should be here any day. We have plenty of N2 2GB units in stock. Just place one order and we'll ship it all out together when the N2 4GB units arrive.

Truly

Unread post by Truly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 am

Perfect - thanks!

Return to “General Topics”