Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post Reply
superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

My Screen Resolution was set automatically to 1920x1080. However, 0 Hz refresh rate is shown.
I tried using xrandr to manually set my refresh rate to 60Hz without success. Then I realized my video card configuration was non-existent. Can anybody point me in the right direction how to solve this?. I am new here. Just got my Odroid-N2 board today.

I tried building the Qt5 source code manually as well

inxi -Fxz output

System: Host: odroid Kernel: 4.9.190-62 aarch64 bits: 32 gcc: 7.4.0
Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Machine: No /sys/class/dmi; using dmidecode: root required for dmidecode
CPU: 6 core (-MCP-) bmips: arch: ARM
clock speeds: max: 1896 MHz 1: 1896 MHz 2: 1896 MHz 3: 1896 MHz 4: 1896 MHz
5: 1896 MHz 6: 1896 MHz
Graphics: Card: Failed to Detect Video Card!
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting)
Resolution: 1920x1080@0.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 8.0, 128 bits)
version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 Direct Render: Yes

Audio: Card AML-AUGESOUND driver: AML-AUGESOUND Sound: ALSA v: k4.9.190-62
Network: Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (2.4% used)
ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: N/A size: 31.9GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sda model: ASM105x size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 30G used: 5.6G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 227 Uptime: 1:43 Memory: 1137.8/3712.2MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

Seems like a defective HDMI port on the Odroid-N2 maybe?, How awesome!. Just tried new different HDMI cables, brand new expensive ones and still getting initial same issue. Tested different TV's, Sony 4K TV's, disabled their High speed 4K hdmi feature for each port, still getting same annoying issues. When I turn it on, sometimes I get random 16 color mode at a crazy 1024x600 resolution. I will tried different distros to see if this is a Ubuntu Mate related issue or it's a bad Odroid-N2 board. I have several devices at home as nvidia shield tv, Rpi 4b, minix android tv box, PS4 pro, Amazon fire tv 4k and I have never seen any device producing artifacts or not being detected by my Sony Android TV's 2016 and 2017 models.More Issues: When I switch between HDMI ports and come back to HDMI port used by Odroid-N2, Ubuntu Mate desktop has been resized(different resolution), looks blurry and shows artifacts on screen. This last issue happens all the time. If I reboot, same thing, Sometimes 1080p resolution works, sometimes it doesn't.

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

Latest CoreELEC performance was solid as rock. Loaded up successfully every time, when I switch to between HDMI ports, video resolution looks right how it's suppose to be, no flicking/artifacts on my screen anymore, lowered/broken resolution,etc. So far, I have tried 4 different Ubuntu Images, both Mate and minimal, they all suffer from them same video issues. Looks like my Odroid-N2 board is not defective after all, knock on wood. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, tinkering and even compiling code and building libraries, but I do expect to see a minimum set of working things right out of the box like video signal being properly recognized by Distros at booting time. Worst come to worst, at least I have a fully functional an expensive HTPC device. CoreElec Video reproduction quality was simply stunning. Thank you anyway. See ya.

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

Tried Armbian Stretch as well and since it uses latest Hardkernel kernel, it behaves in the exact same buggy way. The only Distro that properly detects my monitors at 1920x1080 at 60Hz is CoreELEC. Since nobody here seems to be able to try to help my case,I will wait until South Korean holidays end to hear directly from Hardkernel developers about my issue and to know whether I need to RMA this back to them or not!

mad_ady
Posts: 8320
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 434 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by mad_ady »

Getting 0Hz displayed as a frequency is not an issue. You can force a resolution via boot.ini and bypass autodetection.

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:53 am
Getting 0Hz displayed as a frequency is not an issue. You can force a resolution via boot.ini and bypass autodetection.
I just did it, still does Not work, after applying changes and reboot, still shows "0 hertz" under refresh rate.
Edited "boot.ini" from /media/boot/ directory and changed it to false, was set to true by default:

setenv display_autodetect "false"

and since default mode is already set for 1080p and 60Hz, I thought nothing else should be changed.

setenv hdmimode "1080p60hz"

Note: My Sony android 4k TV's are 100% compatible with 1080p at 60 Hertz modes.
CoreELEC detects them correctly at: 1920x1080@59.94Hz

Please advise. Thank you.

mad_ady
Posts: 8320
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 434 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by mad_ady »

Where do you see 0Hz? Under display settings in Mate, or under Kodi?
I think it's just a cosmetic issue. Do you see other problems with the display apart from this?

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:57 pm
Where do you see 0Hz? Under display settings in Mate, or under Kodi?
I think it's just a cosmetic issue. Do you see other problems with the display apart from this?
Mate, of course I had some display issues with it. Miraculously, after running a full system update/upgrade switching between hdmi ports in my Sony TV, no longer resizes and produce a flickering effect that could only be fixed by rebooting as long as right HDMI port was chosen prior to that. Even those annoying booting display issues when HDMI port use by odroid-N2 was not selected, has been apparently fixed. Knock on wood. Still waiting to have HW acceleration for the Mali G52 GPU for a desktop version anytime soon.

mad_ady
Posts: 8320
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 434 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by mad_ady »

Let's hope this will mature: viewtopic.php?t=34751

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

mad_ady wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:55 pm
Let's hope this will mature: viewtopic.php?t=34751
Let's hope this happen anytime soon. As many people waiting for this, I am too really looking forward to this. Meanwhile, I have to keep CoreELEC booting from micro SD card when I want to watch HD videos, or Ubuntu Mate booting from my USB 3.0 SSD for regular job. Unfortunately, Petiboot is far from being ready for prime time. We really need a dual boot functionality on Petiboot ASAP.

mad_ady
Posts: 8320
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 573 times
Been thanked: 434 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by mad_ady »

Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

mad_ady wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am
Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?
I am using 20190416. Isn't it the last one? Do we have some wiki to rely on for dual boot instructions?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5508
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 642 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by tobetter »

superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 am
mad_ady wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am
Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?
I am using 20190416. Isn't it the last one? Do we have some wiki to rely on for dual boot instructions?
Please download the file from the link, the file must be renamed to spiboot.img and copied to uSD. Before updating, please make sure you have flipped the boot select switch to SPI and do a power cycle, Petitboot 20190416 will start to update.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&hilit=petit ... 50#p261451

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 am
superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 am
mad_ady wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am
Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?
I am using 20190416. Isn't it the last one? Do we have some wiki to rely on for dual boot instructions?
Please download the file from the link, the file must be renamed to spiboot.img and copied to uSD. Before updating, please make sure you have flipped the boot select switch to SPI and do a power cycle, Petitboot 20190416 will start to update.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&hilit=petit ... 50#p261451
Thank's but There is No Direct link to download latest petiboot image. I did navigate thru all the pages and found RC2 and RC3 versions. Is RC3 the one I need to download?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 5508
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 642 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by tobetter »

superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 am
superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 am
mad_ady wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am
Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?
I am using 20190416. Isn't it the last one? Do we have some wiki to rely on for dual boot instructions?
Please download the file from the link, the file must be renamed to spiboot.img and copied to uSD. Before updating, please make sure you have flipped the boot select switch to SPI and do a power cycle, Petitboot 20190416 will start to update.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&hilit=petit ... 50#p261451
Thank's but There is No Direct link to download latest petiboot image. I did navigate thru all the pages and found RC2 and RC3 versions. Is RC3 the one I need to download?
The download link is in the there...anyway, this is the link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r9MA2 ... ZwlXbrU9Dp
The latest one is 201907-RC1.

superpowter77
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm
languages_spoken: english,french,spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2+ 4Gb,N2 4Gb(2),C4
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, Video Card Mali G52 Not detected

Post by superpowter77 »

tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 am
superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 am
tobetter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 am
superpowter77 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:47 am
mad_ady wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am
Dualboot with petitboot does work. Have you updated to the latest petitboot image?
I am using 20190416. Isn't it the last one? Do we have some wiki to rely on for dual boot instructions?
Please download the file from the link, the file must be renamed to spiboot.img and copied to uSD. Before updating, please make sure you have flipped the boot select switch to SPI and do a power cycle, Petitboot 20190416 will start to update.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&hilit=petit ... 50#p261451
Thank's but There is No Direct link to download latest petiboot image. I did navigate thru all the pages and found RC2 and RC3 versions. Is RC3 the one I need to download?
The download link is in the there...anyway, this is the link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r9MA2 ... ZwlXbrU9Dp
The latest one is 201907-RC1.
Worked like a charm, Awesome! I am always afraid to be manipulating the SPI ledger back and forth because it may break. Now is the perfect time to install my Virtual Power on/off button for Odroid-N2. Thank's Bro!

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests