Optical output to internal optical speaker

audiotechguy
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Optical output to internal optical speaker

Unread post by audiotechguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello when using the hifi dac with optical cables, when I connect the optical cable into a bookshelf speaker that has a optical in, does the hifi dac specs and quality Carry over to the input of the speaker or does the speaker receive the audio and then uses its own internal dac to playback through the speakers, I was speaking to the customer service of the bookshelf speaker I wanted and they told me It processes the digital signal directly and sending it to the class D amplifiers.

Im not sure the accuracy of the conversation but I’m not sure what happens when using optical out and input.

I know when using analog output the dac has a role in sound quality and then the speakers play a role as well. So maybe it’s the same with digital.

But with digital signals, do they need a dac or only when playing back audio over a bookshelf speaker that has a optical input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by audiotechguy on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Optical output to internal optical speaker

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Wouldn't digital signals need to be converted bback to analog by a dac before they can be played by the speaker?
Digital transport of audio data (either optical or electrical) is there to remove problems when the source and the sink have different ground levels.
I could be wrong, of course.

audiotechguy

Unread post by audiotechguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm

I thought the same but I’m wondering how it actually works, it should need a dac to be able to convert to play back from speakers amps from a speaker that has a optical input for sound. But I was told differently but I don’t know.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm

I think the class-D amplifier has an internal I2S/PCM digital input path in the bookshelf speaker.
So there is no discrete DAC component and they call it a full-digital speakers system probably.
If you look into TI's TAS5805M datasheet, you might be able to understand how it works.

audiotechguy

Unread post by audiotechguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm

And my other issue was if I have a very good dac from my soundcard and I use optical out to speakers with optical on, I wonder if the speakers has a cheap dac and thus therefore doesn’t give me good sound or issues compared to what I’m outputting via hifiberry. I know speakers have there own part to play via frequency response and amps etc but I’m not sure what happens on both ends

audiotechguy

Unread post by audiotechguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm

So then would I be still benefiting from the dac that the hifi berry offers.

audiotechguy

Unread post by audiotechguy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

These are the speakers I’m looking at
Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field Studio Monitors - Optical Input - 120 Watts RMS - Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B016PAWJYS/ref ... EDb83Z4P76

audiotechguy

Unread post by audiotechguy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 am

So I just got information that those speakers don’t have a dac but have some sort of DSP that goes directly to the class D amps but some other models that use certain amps actually have their own dac for converting the audio etc when using optical or coax. So depending on the speaker I can get the benefit of the quality of the hifi plus whatever the speaker it self has to offer

Return to “I2S Devices (HiFi Shield DAC and Stereo Boom Bonnet Kit)”