xu4/HC2 ?

eeyoresowl
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

xu4/HC2 ?

Unread post by eeyoresowl » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 pm

I am considering using the HC2 in tandem with my xu4 system.

If I understand it correctly, the HC2 can function on its own (headless)and serve as a network server and be attached to the xu4 with a network cable I- or it can be stacked with other HC2s in order to make a cluster. I assume that the cluster requires the inclusion of a router and some type of software (?) In order to make it work. Can the HC2 be "stacked" in the same way with the xu4 (I.e., an HC2-xu4 cluster)?

Alternatively , can I link an HC2 with a network cable and use the data to connect my hard drive instead of connecting it to the Usb 3.0 port on the xu4? Will I still be able to use the usb2 port on the HC2 from my keyboard/monitor connected to the xu4 only?

Will there be any gain/loss in the performance of the hard drive?Do I need to use an identical OS to the one currently on my xu4 (I'm currently running ArchLinuxARM with the Enlightenment desktop) or will any supported OS work?Thanks for your help!

John

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: xu4/HC2 ?

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 am

eeyoresowl wrote:I am considering using the HC2 in tandem with my xu4 system.

If I understand it correctly, the HC2 can function on its own (headless)and serve as a network server and be attached to the xu4 with a network cable I- or it can be stacked with other HC2s in order to make a cluster.
Yes, HC2 works standalone, accessible via network.
I assume that the cluster requires the inclusion of a router
A switch. The units can have static addressing and communicate through layer 2.
and some type of software (?) In order to make it work.
Only if you want to use it for "big data" processing. HC2 is typically used as a storage cluster - which can vary from independent units stacked physically, to ceph/glusterfs clusters (see the magazine).
Can the HC2 be "stacked" in the same way with the xu4 (I.e., an HC2-xu4 cluster)?
Yes, except they don't stack physically. From a software perspective they're nearly identical.
Alternatively , can I link an HC2 with a network cable and use the data to connect my hard drive instead of connecting it to the Usb 3.0 port on the xu4?
Yes, you can export the disk as a nfs share that is writable from the xu4. Lpok for the "general purpose nas" article on the magazine.
Will I still be able to use the usb2 port on the HC2 from my keyboard/monitor connected to the xu4 only?
This doesn't make sense. You can't connect a keyboard tobthe hc2 and (easily) control the xu4 with it. Please rephrase what you want to do.
Will there be any gain/loss in the performance of the hard drive?
You'll be limited by gigabit network (~100MB/s), whereas a ssd connected to xu4 usb3 can reach > 200MB/s local access speed.
Do I need to use an identical OS to the one currently on my xu4 (I'm currently running ArchLinuxARM with the Enlightenment desktop) or will any supported OS work?
No, any supported os will do. Just think of your hc2 as a hdmi-less xu4.

John[/quote]

eeyoresowl

Unread post by eeyoresowl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks - what I meant by the Usb accessibility question is:

If my monitor/keyboard is connected to the xu4, I can use the hard drive connected to the HC2, but will I get anything if I plug into the HC2s USB? It seems I should.

My HDD is not an SSD - (Seagate Barracuda 1TB), s I assume that it's normal speed is slower .. Around 150MB/s .. Will that be a noticeable loss?

Thanks.
John

eeyoresowl

Unread post by eeyoresowl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:39 am

For the loss in HDD speed, I free up another USB 3.0 - what do you think?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am

The HC2 is a XU4 without monitor output... no HDMI
The USB 3.0 ports of the XU4 were removed in favor of the SATA connector on the HC2.
And you don't have an eMMC connector.

Except for that the HC2 IS a XU4.
It runs the same software and you can connect the same hardware.

If you connect a mouse/keyboard on the USB 2.0 port of the HC2, then sure it will work.. But what would you use it for? You can't see what you're doing as it has no monitor output.
You could plug in a WLAN module on the HC2 and use it via WLAN, you can plugin a soundcard in the USB 2.0 and use the HC2 to play music. It's the same USB 2.0 port as it's available on the XU4, you can do the same with it.

You also don't need a HC2 + a XU4 to make it work.. the HC2 IS your XU4.
It is a XU4 with a Harddrive attached to it with no monitor output, that's all.
If you install Samba you can access the data via your network from ANY other PC, no matter if it's a XU4, your desktop PC, a Server, or a MAC Book, or whatever.
You can also access the HC2 via SSH to install application, copy files, or whatever you want to do. You can do this from any system, you do not require an XU4 to do this.
If you want to stack 10 HC2, that doesn't mean you also need to stack 10 XU4 to make it "work" they just work..
You can access the data on all 10 HC2s from a different PC, which once again COULD be a XU4, but doesn't HAVE to be a XU4.

You can "mount" a network drive in your XU4 or on any other PC, that is your HC2. Like under Windows when you add a network shared folder. You can use this as you would under Windows.
The performance is, as @mad_ady already said, as fast as your network connection is, which on the HC2 and XU4 is a 1Gbit LAN connection which is roughly about 100 MB/sec (or as fast as your hard drive is, depending on what is slowest).
It doesn't matter if your hard drive can do 150 MB/sec or 200 MB/sec or even 500 MB/sec, if the network can only do 100 MB/sec you only get 100 MB/sec.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

eeyoresowl

Unread post by eeyoresowl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 am

I'm not sure that my question is understood. I'm trying to decide if (and it seems that I can do it) I connect an HC2 to an xu4 with a network cable will the trade off in speed be too much to offset the gain of an extra USB2 and an extra usb3. That in a nutshell is the question!

Note - the monitor and keyboard would be connected to the xu4.

Opinions?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 am

You can connect to the HC2 directly via cable, which would probably leave both your ODROIDs without internet connection.
Or you can simply use a Switch / Hub to connect both devices plus internet or whatever.
Theoretical max USB 2.0 speed is 480 Mbit/sec (a maximum of 60 MB/sec) USB 3.0 is a theoretical maximum of 5 Gbit/sec (max 640 MB/sec).
Obviously a 1 Gbit LAN connection is faster than a 480 Mbit USB 2.0 connection.
Obviously a 5 Gbit USB 3.0 connection is faster than a 1 Gbit LAN connection.

What you consider beneficial, trade off, gain, and loss is probably up to you.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

eeyoresowl

Unread post by eeyoresowl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:54 am

Thanks - I appreciate all of the good information. I probably would be better off getting a 2nd (or larger) USB 3.0 hub given the speeds involved.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 am

The more devices you have on an USB 3.0 port the less speed you get out of it.. it's not like EACH devices will get 5 Gbit, they all SHARE the 5 Gbit.
And there's always loss due to protocols, and other things.
For example USB 2.0 is said to have 60 MB/sec at max... I haven't seen any USB 2.0 that exceeds 50 MB/sec.. in fact most of the time it's closer to 35~40 MB/sec.
Same will be the case with USB 3.0 and if you have 3 devices attached don't expect each to run with 200 MB/sec.

Return to “Projects”