Slow drive performance (sata)

spitefulmonkey
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slow drive performance (sata)

Unread post by spitefulmonkey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm

I tried posting once, but encountered a crash. it won't allow me to use other post, can't even view it.

Anyways, I am having very poor performance with my 2 sata drives in Ubuntu 19.04. They are new, 3 and 8 tb Seagate nas drives. They are ntfs formated and I know there is some loss with that, but I am only seeing 37 MB/sec when moving anything to or from them. Is this speed to be expected?

All insight is most welcome.

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Slow drive performance (sata)

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 am

spitefulmonkey wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm
They are ntfs formated
This is the issue. Reformat with a XFS filesystem to confirm[*].

[*] You can use EXT4 if you format it with the 'lazy initialization' option disabled. Otherwise, the drive will be slow until it has invisibly completed formatting in the background.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Slow drive performance (sata)

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 am

If you insist on using ntfs, mount the disk with the big_writes option.

spitefulmonkey
Been thanked: 0

Slow drive performance (sata) *solved*

Unread post by spitefulmonkey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 am

Reformatting to ext4 did the trick, very much improved. I guess I hadn't recalled ntfs being such a hit in the past of other machines.

I did notice now though that I am hearing what sounds like very excessive head parking when the drive is just sitting unused. Being a nas drive I know how the constant spin sounds, but these chugs and clunks are not what I'm used to on my other machines.

Is there some options I need to setup for a nas drive in Ubuntu? After sleeping and waking to the same clunks and chugs I got worried. Pulled the drive and checked with seatools. It failed smart. So, I'm off to microcenter to return it, but I wasn't sure if it was something they drove it to die or just luck of the draw.

It is a 8tb Seagate Ironwolf nas. Anyone else here use one of these on H2 in Ubuntu?

**edit: As long as the drive is in use, silent as can be. Only when idle.

***edit:edit: It appears the parking issue was in fact the drive. I've splurged on the 10tb Ironwolf nas and it is MUCH more quiet without that strange head parking issue. All seems to be good. Uses less power anyways than the 8tb version which is good since I steal a bit o power from the sata line for my fan mod. The drive is lightening fast now.

Return to “General Topics”