xu4 fan monitoring...

hilton8r
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

xu4 fan monitoring...

Unread post by hilton8r » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:15 pm

We have both xu4 and xu4q boards. We've gone back to xu4 for now due to throttling etc...

I'm curious if there is a command line option to verify if a fan is installed / operational. Even retrieving the model number would be helpful.

It seems like a failed fan may eventually kill the board, but I don't know for certain if this is true. I'm starting to look at dead returned units more closely... I've started monitoring temperatures, and see a 10 degree celsius variance in fan vs non fan units... Hopefully we can reduce the number of dead units by proactively monitoring for failed fans. I believe they are having to replace a lot of fans for our scenario. Wanted to gather some ideas to get me started... Thanks,

John

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: xu4 fan monitoring...

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm

There's no direct way to monitor if a fan is installed or if a fan is working. You can read the pwm the fan should be controlled with, but it's set by the kernel for both xu4 and xu4q.

But there's an indirect way of checking if the fan works. You can write a script that:
1. turns off automatic fan
2. reads current cpu temperature
3. forces the fan at full blast for ~20s
4. reads the new cpu temperature
5. re-enables automatic control
If the new temperature is not ~10C lower than the initial temperature you can suspect there is no fan, or it failed.

It's an interesting check to do. I have about 30 xu4s in remote locations, so a failed fan might be good to know.

Regarding preventive maintenance - I recommend vacuuming the fan/heatsync about once a year. You may change thermal paste too if it seems to get too old. There's an older post by hominid (that I can't find) discussing long-term operation.

hilton8r
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: xu4 fan monitoring...

Unread post by hilton8r » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am

Mad Ady,

If the temp remains the same, it's an xu4q.
If the temp rises, it's a faulty fan.
If the temp drops, it's a functional xu4.

Sounds like a plan. Thank you!

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”