boot from emmc or HDD ? lifetime emmc ?

Koejo
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

boot from emmc or HDD ? lifetime emmc ?

Unread post by Koejo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:15 pm

hallo,
i going to buy the cs2 and install nextcloud. The data on HDD but i am not shure from what i boot. The emmc is faster than a WD red but what ist with the lifetime of a emmc ?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: boot from emmc or HDD ? lifetime emmc ?

Unread post by meveric » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:58 pm

The lifetime of a eMMC is quite high and will last you a very long time. If you just want to use the eMMC to load the OS and run Nextcloud and nothing else, but have your database and datastore of nextcloud on the HDD, it will probably last forever.
You could also move the entire OS on the HDD and use it like that, but you would still need the eMMC for booting, as the u-boot and kernel are loaded from eMMC.
But as I said, under regular work load (even with DB running on eMMC) it will last for a very long time (we're talking about many years here).
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Plus - if you have the os on emmc, you can spin down the hdd drives when not in use and increase their lifetime (I have a 10 year old WD green that is most of the time idle).

Koejo
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Koejo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Many thx, i will buy also the emmc and install os and nextcloud on it with data and database on hdd. No worry about the boot.ini after updates fast data in hdd.

Return to “General Topics”