Odroid C3 with Amlogic S922X-b ?

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Odroid C3 with Amlogic S922X-b ?

Unread post by BadPritt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am

In the kernel patches for the N2 I see the Odroid C3 mentioned.
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... idn2-4.9.y

So I can make out it uses an Amlogic SoC with a simular architecture as the S992X. So could also be the S922X-B or the A311D.
Now we know this. Any more info about it please :)

I've also got the Khadas VIM3 with A311D. It's amazing. But the heatsink should have been a bit beefier.
Hope you're doing it great again like the C2 was.

May I join the debugging for it please and review it?
Cheers, NicoD

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Re: Odroid C3 with Amlogic S922X-b ?

Unread post by BadPritt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 am

My hope.
Same form-factor as C2. Bit bigger heatsink so acceptable thermals when maxed out for long.
Powered with 5V via barrel jack + usb type-C. I still want the barrel jack. USB type-c comes out easy. No a reliable connector when things move.
Any of the new Amlogic's is ok. 4GB ram.
eMMC of course. I hope also at least 1 USB2(may also be thru the usb type-c) + USB3 ports of course.
No need for M.2 if it disables USB3.

I'm still looking for the perfect replacement for my C2 that was my video editer/laptop when traveling. The NanoPi M4 did great last trip, but it's too power hungry.
Now the VIM3 will be great. But mine only has 2GB ram. Ok for 1080p. For 1440 need 4GB. So who knows the C3 still will be the true contender for the role the C2 had for years.
Cheers

cdu13a
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by cdu13a » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm

I think it's been mentioned on the forum already, but the C3 that is mentioned in the kernel source code didn't make it past internal evaluation, before being canceled in favor of the N2 .
If you got some extra time to kill you can probably manage to find those references to it on the forum.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm

cdu13a wrote:I think it's been mentioned on the forum already, but the C3 that is mentioned in the kernel source code didn't make it past internal evaluation, before being canceled in favor of the N2 .
If you got some extra time to kill you can probably manage to find those references to it on the forum.
Correct

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:38 pm

BadPritt wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 am
Same form-factor as C2.
Right now is the time to break with that form factor if its going to happen. The recent Pi revision makes all the old cases obsolete and supply will start drying up. Its dual micro-hdmi is just stupid for anything other than the digital signage industry. There is no sense in adopting a consumer hostile design.

I would like to see a return to "maker friendly" SBC designs. Anything with a bottom mounted, proprietary, heatsink is difficult to implement into a project. Also, a heatsink+fan should always be an option. Not everyone uses these devices for a NAS or Kodi box. Thus, different people have different operating environment considerations.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 pm

I fondly remember the ODROID X series (X, X2) which actually had a VESA mounting option so you could put it on the back of your TV and a nice stand so that you can place it on every surface (it actually came with rubber feet).
Loved the acrylic case that you could buy for it, with so much more useful ports, like audio in and out (which we had to miss out on since 2014 with the C1 and later the XU4) a UART that went sidewards out the SBC so I don't need to open the case every time I want to debug something. I let someone design a case for the U3 just to cut out the access to UAR and eMMC, so I don't need to open up the cases all the time.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

BadPritt
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:28 pm

cdu13a wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm
I think it's been mentioned on the forum already, but the C3 that is mentioned in the kernel source code didn't make it past internal evaluation, before being canceled in favor of the N2 .
Too bad. I'd loved a C3 with S922X or so.
The N2 is good for my tasks at home, but I can't take it with me and power it with my power banks.

This SoC would have fit well on a smaller form factor. Since it doesn't have PCIe, NVMe or SATA it's less useful for many usecases of a home setup. A more portable SBC doesn't need those features as long as there's USB3.
Biggest advantage of this SoC is the power efficiency. No other SoC comes close in perfomance/watt.

I've got the Khadas VIM3, so I'll have to do with that.
meveric wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:25 pm
like audio in and out
I never knew those, but audio in is something I'd loved to have on the C2. I used a USB audio adapter for that too many times.

Return to “General Topics”