Home Cloud with NVMe?

Share here your ideas for new projects
thx1138
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Home Cloud with NVMe?

Unread post by thx1138 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 am

I like the HC1 and HC2 devices. I want to get a few and make some gluster storage to play around with. I currently have a supermicro server with 40TB in RAID1 using mdadm underneath LVM. Im leaning towards the 2.5 HC device, as I would want to use SSDs have this storage be available for VM images. I know I can install SSDs into the 3.5 HC form factor, but it just seems like a waste of space.

I havent yet decided on either the 2.5 or 3.5 form factor. and ignoring the price differences in HD vs SSD, there is more capacity in 2.5 SSD form factor. I think the largest 2.5 HD is around 4TB while 2.5 SSD go up to 16TB. For 3.5 HD, the current sweet spot seems to be around 8TB and 10TB. Anyways. Also, I am hoping the SSD devices, under moderate load would have less power consumption than the 3.5 HD devices? total power consumption would be a nice parameter to gauge things by.

so, the alternative SSD format, NVMe using PCIe, interface seems to be growing a lot and I was wondering if the Home Cloud series of devices could have a third option, providing PCIe NVMe interface for devices? can the SOC used in the HC devices be modified to deliver a PCIe NMVe device interface that is incredibly fast?

I think it would be awesome.

just a thought. :D
ref https://www.pcworld.com/article/2899351 ... -nvme.html

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Home Cloud with NVMe?

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:03 am

As far as I know the soc has only high speed usb interface which was converted to transport sata. I doubt it could transport pci or could be faster than currently is.

thx1138

Unread post by thx1138 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:29 am

Yeah, I see what you are meaning, regarding USB-to-SATA interface.

It looks like the IP does exist to create such a thing, having PCIe in the SOC... if the demand was there, to make it worthwhile..

https://developer.arm.com/architectures ... /amba/pcie

https://community.arm.com/developer/ip- ... based-socs

powerful owl
ODROIDs: 6 x HC1, N2, H2

Unread post by powerful owl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 pm

You could use H2 with 1x NVMe + 2x SATA SSD. I get about 1500/1000 peak read/write speeds for NVMe.

thx1138

Unread post by thx1138 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 pm

All the extra stuff in the H2 kind of defeats the simplistic beauty of the HC form factor for network storage.

I wonder if two devices I'm dreaming about could fit into the 3.5" form factor aluminium chassis, so that part could be reused.

Return to “The Ideas”