Won't boot, blinking blue led, no red led

dirkr
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Won't boot, blinking blue led, no red led

Unread post by dirkr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 am

So, I recieved my shiny new Odroid N2 device about a week ago.
Flashed CoreElec to a eMMC drive and all was fine for about a week.

Now I had to perform a restart of my N2 (due to some update of the software) and it never came back..

I've tried cycling the power but the red power led doesnt come on.
The blue sys led however is just blinking steadily.

I tried reflashing my eMMC module, tried with a (sure to be working) SD Card but there is no hdmi output and the led's keep the same behavior.
With just the SD Card though the neither led's come on.
Also tried swithing to SPI boot just to see if the screen would show something but nope, no luck there.

Any idea what could be wrong? Faulty power supply? Board fried for no reason at all?
I doubt it's the storage as this I can flash/reflash perfectly through a usb reader and adapter but it just doesn't seem to take power properly.

As I'm new to Odroid boards, any hints?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Won't boot, blinking blue led, no red led

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 am

dirkr wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:39 am
So, I recieved my shiny new Odroid N2 device about a week ago.
Flashed CoreElec to a eMMC drive and all was fine for about a week.

Now I had to perform a restart of my N2 (due to some update of the software) and it never came back..

I've tried cycling the power but the red power led doesnt come on.
The blue sys led however is just blinking steadily.

I tried reflashing my eMMC module, tried with a (sure to be working) SD Card but there is no hdmi output and the led's keep the same behavior.
With just the SD Card though the neither led's come on.
Also tried swithing to SPI boot just to see if the screen would show something but nope, no luck there.

Any idea what could be wrong? Faulty power supply? Board fried for no reason at all?
I doubt it's the storage as this I can flash/reflash perfectly through a usb reader and adapter but it just doesn't seem to take power properly.

As I'm new to Odroid boards, any hints?
Which power supply did you use?
It's very strange that your N2 just worked and suddenly it does not come back after a power cycle?
Hmmmmmmm.....
Do you have to reconnect HDMI cable?
Are you able to measure the voltage on GPIO header #1, #2 and #3 with DMM if possible?

dirkr

Unread post by dirkr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:05 am

i use this power supply: https://www.antratek.be/12v-power-supply-2amp
The datasheet is on the url.

I've tried reconnecting the HDMI cable, booting with/without also with/without network.. just no change.
All that I did was install an auto update from coreelec, thing rebooted and never came back.

Don't have any multimeter with me here so not able to measure anything at the moment.

i've had a lot of corrupt storage devices in the past on other platforms but since I can still reflash the eMMC module and read the SD cards on a computer I doubt that it will be that.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:18 pm

can you test the output of the power supply at the barrel end of the plug..12 volts D.C.
can you pls try another supply you need 2 amp supply between 7~19 volts...

did you follow proper first boot procedure..

when you first flash the media and start the first boot it will resize the rootfs file system partition...the leds will all go out then you have to disconnect and re-apply the power to the board..

if you did not follow this then pls re-flash your media and try over...make shure also that you are flashing an N-2 image file...

for testing purposes pls ensure that the N-2 is the only device connected to the screen...!!
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

dirkr

Unread post by dirkr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:34 pm

phaseshifter wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:18 pm
did you follow proper first boot procedure..

when you first flash the media and start the first boot it will resize the rootfs file system partition...the leds will all go out then you have to disconnect and re-apply the power to the board..

if you did not follow this then pls re-flash your media and try over...make shure also that you are flashing an N-2 image file...

for testing purposes pls ensure that the N-2 is the only device connected to the screen...!!
I used the N2 nightly image. It's a bit confusing whether I do or do not need to copy the .dtb file to the root or not (but tried both ways)
it worked fine the first time I flashed the eMMC, indeed had to cycle power the first time.

Now when I use a freshly flashed sd card or eMMC there is just no red power led and the blue one immediately goes from a few second of solid to blinking blue.
Nothing else is attached to the screen.

I'll get my multimeter out asap and let you know about the power supply. I'm hoping it's just the power supply thats bricked and not the entire board. Would suck to have to buy a new one each/after 3 weeks.

beaker23

Unread post by beaker23 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 am

I have the same problem with one of my Odroid N2s, fortunately I have two and was able to do some additional testing.

I verified the SD card that I had worked in my second N2.

When trying the functioning SD card in the N2 with the indications that the red LED does not light I received the same indications as the OP.

When booting the N2 with the switch in the SPI position the red LED does not light, the blue led will blink after a few seconds, this is with no SD card and no EMMC module installed

When booting the N2 with the switch in the EMMC position with a working EMMC module installed eventually the blue led blinks, and the red led remains unlit throughout the entire boot process.

No power is provided to any USB peripherals by the board, can not even turn num lock on on a keyboard when the blue led is blinking.

No output is provided on the HDMI port while the blue led is blinking.

Checking the voltage on the GPIO pins I received the following:

Pin 1: 3.3V
Pin 2: 45mV
Pin 4: 45mV

It looks like the 5V is gone dead, I also tried with two different 12V power supplies, both capable of providing the required 2A.

Not sure what caused this, is there a tiny fuse or something for the 5V supply on the board somewhere?

I was also unable to communicate to the board using the UART port, or receive anything off of the board during the boot process with UART. I did not test this extensively though, but pretty sure I had all my settings correct.

I already ordered a replacement since I have a feeling something on the board went out.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:37 am

beaker23 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 am
I have the same problem with one of my Odroid N2s, fortunately I have two and was able to do some additional testing.

I verified the SD card that I had worked in my second N2.

When trying the functioning SD card in the N2 with the indications that the red LED does not light I received the same indications as the OP.

When booting the N2 with the switch in the SPI position the red LED does not light, the blue led will blink after a few seconds, this is with no SD card and no EMMC module installed

When booting the N2 with the switch in the EMMC position with a working EMMC module installed eventually the blue led blinks, and the red led remains unlit throughout the entire boot process.

No power is provided to any USB peripherals by the board, can not even turn num lock on on a keyboard when the blue led is blinking.

No output is provided on the HDMI port while the blue led is blinking.

Checking the voltage on the GPIO pins I received the following:

Pin 1: 3.3V
Pin 2: 45mV
Pin 4: 45mV

It looks like the 5V is gone dead, I also tried with two different 12V power supplies, both capable of providing the required 2A.

Not sure what caused this, is there a tiny fuse or something for the 5V supply on the board somewhere?

I was also unable to communicate to the board using the UART port, or receive anything off of the board during the boot process with UART. I did not test this extensively though, but pretty sure I had all my settings correct.

I already ordered a replacement since I have a feeling something on the board went out.
I think you've already done what I could ask you to try in order to verify if your board has the problem, Thanks and sorry. Where did you purchase the one and when?

beaker23

Unread post by beaker23 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 am

I purchased the board as soon as it was released through Ameridroid, the board I have is REV 0.4 with manf date of 20190207, this one is my eldest of the N2s that I have and does not yet bear the FCC markings.

I think I may, however, know what the problem is.

It is possible I may have touched the GPIO pins with my fingers when I did not have a cover on the board and power was applied. Due to the proximity of a GND (pin 6) on the GPIO to the 5V supply (pins 4 and 2) I think it may be possible to short circuit the GND to the +5V with your finger while stabilizing or moving the board if the cover is off and inadvertently kill it.

These pins also happen to be on the corner of the board, a place where we're likely to place our hand while moving or stabilizing the board so I think it could happen quite easily. Particularly since many of us likely leave the cover off while working with new or different SD cards or EMMC modules.

The pins also happen to be diagonally across from the power plug, so I think we're more likely to put our fingers there when unplugging or plugging in the board as well.

I don't know if this is what happened or not, but some testing could prove the theory if one were willing to sacrifice a board and a solution could be a plastic cover to cover the GPIO pins when not being used with a caution of the potential problem.

The board is definitely dead though, is it possible to send it in under warranty?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:10 am

Please send an email to Ameridroid with a link of this thread.
They will help your RMA process probably.

beaker23

Unread post by beaker23 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:19 am

odroid wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:10 am
Please send an email to Ameridroid with a link of this thread.
They will help your RMA process probably.
Ameridroid is saying their warranty period is only 30 days and that they will not provide assistance with the RMA Process
I am sorry, but the warranty period for SBCs that we sell is 30 days from the date of receipt (the same as if ordered directly from HardKernel), so unfortunately as it was delivered April 13th I will be unable to offer you a replacement or a refund. You are more than welcome to send it back to be diagnosed and tested by us, but you will be responsible for the shipping of the board both ways. I am sorry that I cannot do more, thank you for your business,

Daniel

ameriDroid
Is it still possible to perform RMA for this board? Particularly since this appears to be a common problem on these new boards?

dirkr

Unread post by dirkr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Guess I have more luck then.
I contact my vendor (Antratek) and they had me sent it back (at my expense but that was clear from the start) and already sent me a new one.
(hope this is a one time issue)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm

@beaker23,
We will have an internal discussion and let you know the result tomorrow.
Give me another 24hrs.

beaker23

Unread post by beaker23 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 am

odroid wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm
@beaker23,
Give me another 24hrs.
Ok, sounds good thanks.

beaker23

Unread post by beaker23 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 am

odroid wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm
@beaker23,
Give me another 24hrs.
I received a PM and tried to reply but every time I send a PM to your account (odroid) it gets stuck in my outbox and does not go to my sent messages, is there some reason for this?

I tested by sending myself a PM and it goes to sent box and my inbox, not sure whats up, is this normal?

I am trying to reply to the message.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:48 pm

Please send an email to odroid at hardkerneldot com with the link of this thread if PM cannot be sent to @odroid again.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

Return to “Issues”