Manjaro ARM for Odroid N2

mxmilkb
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: N2

Re: Manjaro ARM for Odroid N2

Unread post by mxmilkb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:33 am

Can anyone confirm if the 20.01 image works? I'm having trouble, but it works for dodgejcr.

I've tried two microSDs just in case.

I get just a solid red light when booting it from petitboot, but I get solid red and blue when booting the eMMC way (without eMMC in).

(though I have my working mainline Manjaro on eMMC through the boot.ini swap method).

Edit: n.b. dodgejcr has unflashed petitboot (and hasn't yet tried from petitboot)

m8kbv
ODROIDs: 2x Odroid N2 4GB

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:47 am

does not work with petitboot usb or SD ;-/ Do I do something wrong?

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:47 am
Check what's the version of Petitboot on your ODROID-N2 or not boot.ini or boot.scr is not corrupted. If you are able to see boot entry on Petitboot but not booting, I think boot.ini must be corrected.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 am

mxmilkb wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:33 am
Can anyone confirm if the 20.01 image works? I'm having trouble, but it works for dodgejcr.

I've tried two microSDs just in case.

I get just a solid red light when booting it from petitboot, but I get solid red and blue when booting the eMMC way (without eMMC in).

(though I have my working mainline Manjaro on eMMC through the boot.ini swap method).

Edit: n.b. dodgejcr has unflashed petitboot (and hasn't yet tried from petitboot)
I guess the current kernel has an issue to use uSD, I also faced the same issue with Petitboot that my image does not boot from uSD or it's attached. Or Petitboot needs some fix to make uSD run better for the target OS.

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 am

tobetter wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 am
m8kbv wrote:
Check what's the version of Petitboot on your ODROID-N2 or not boot.ini or boot.scr is not corrupted. If you are able to see boot entry on Petitboot but not booting, I think boot.ini must be corrected.

petitboot is from November (newest). How to check if boot.ini or boot.scr is not damaged?
is the partition boot / boot.ini? Where is boot.scr?
file boot.ini runs correctly in a text file.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 am
tobetter wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 am
m8kbv wrote:

petitboot is from November (newest). How to check if boot.ini or boot.scr is not damaged?
is the partition boot / boot.ini? Where is boot.scr?
file boot.ini runs correctly in a text file.
From Petitboot screen, go for Exit to shell and run uboot-parser /usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk0p1/boot.ini or .../boot.scr for SD card. If it does not shows 4 items like below somehow the boot script won't work with Petitboot.

Code: Select all

# uboot-parser /usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk0p1/boot.scr
## Executing script at 7fa97a6010
Booting Debian 5.4.0-odroid-arm64 from mmc 0:...

IMAGE=/usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk0p1/vmlinuz-5.4.0-odroid-arm64
INITRD=/usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk0p1/initrd.img-5.4.0-odroid-arm64
DTB=/usr/var/petitboot/mnt/dev/mmcblk0p1/dtbs/5.4.0-odroid-arm64/amlogic/meson64_odroidn2.dtb
APPEND=  quiet splash console=tty1 clk_ignore_unused console=ttyAML0,115200n8

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 am

I have these entries in boot.ini, but the system does not boot.
Last edited by m8kbv on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 am
I have these entries in boot.ini, but the system does not boot.
So the problem is that you can see the boot entry for the OS in Petitboot but not able to boot it?
Is it Manjaro OS? Where the image can be downloaded?

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 am

Download from here: https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/s ... imal/20.01
Yes, this is the Manjaro system released today.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:25 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 am
Download from here: https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/s ... imal/20.01
Yes, this is the Manjaro system released today.
I've checked the file and this is known issue for Manjaro image when it boots with Linux kernel 5.x, you should change the value dtb_loadaddr in boot.ini.
viewtopic.php?f=179&t=35218&p=275791&hi ... dr#p275791

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:48 am

unfortunately the change to dtb_loadaddr or the entire boot.ini from the link you provided does not work. monitor turns off or glows black.
I checked on 2 microsd, with every change I checked booting with petitboot usb, petitboot microsd, and in mmc mode with microsd.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:48 am
unfortunately the change to dtb_loadaddr or the entire boot.ini from the link you provided does not work. monitor turns off or glows black.
I checked on 2 microsd, with every change I checked booting with petitboot usb, petitboot microsd, and in mmc mode with microsd.
I think you should try if the Manjaro you flashed can boot without Petitboot first. If it can, Petitboot is the problem otherwise Manjaro image itself is the problem.

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 am

I think the image is damaged, without the petitboot the red LED on the N2 is lit and the monitor is sleep.

mxmilkb

Unread post by mxmilkb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 am

m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 am
I think the image is damaged, without the petitboot the red LED on the N2 is lit and the monitor is sleep.
Interesting, different lights and monitor status than I. Have you used sha1sum to confirm the download is correct?

m8kbv

Unread post by m8kbv » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:17 am

mxmilkb wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 am
m8kbv wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 am
Interesting, different lights and monitor status than I. Have you used sha1sum to confirm the download is correct?
no but I downloaded the file on 2 computers and used 2 sd cards for verification
shasum: 830b8fc7bfcfe6bfbeafefce531ff36ebf171c63
These users thanked the author m8kbv for the post:
mxmilkb (Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 am)

mxmilkb

Unread post by mxmilkb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm

So I replaced the boot.ini on both the microSD installs I created from the new image. This did not fix the situation for me, but it did change the behaviour slightly - the blue light stayed on with the red for both switch states. The monitor did the same thing.

odroidn2user
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by odroidn2user » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm

mxmilkb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:00 pm
boom - https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/s ... imal/20.01 - I'm still downloading.
OK, so I downloaded it as well, image file dated (2020-01-16 12:58). Loaded it onto a Samsung (keeping it South Korea) 64gb microSD card using DD.
SPI switch to eMMC, nothing.
SPI switch to Petitboot: is seen, start it, blue light comes on. Nothing. (That said, the monitor is incompatible with petitboot, always stays black.)

Switched it back to eMMC... and it starts! It uses kernel 5.4.11.
I get the OEM script where it asks to enter your username, choose keyboard layout, etc.
So, after the OEM scripts does it thing, it reboots.

Blue light comes on, nothing.
Pull out the power cord again (the odroid could ***really**** use a power and reset button!), plug it back in, and...
It boots to a prompt.

I log in, and it appears to be Jan 12th 2020.
(I never understood that internal clock of the odroid n2. I've got the that clock battery thingy attached, that N2 clock seems broken. But... well, nevermind.)
Well, network works. Pacman is there (no updates), memory is all there, seems to be OK.
Shutdown -r now seems to reboot succesfully.

Trying to install KDE (using: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Inst ... E_Plasma_5), I get a lot of packages not found while it is downloading the software.
The selected ftp server (ftp-osl.osuosl.org) seems to be broken or behind or something, fails over to other servers a lot.
It installs kwayland, for those interested.
KDE version being installed appears to be 5.17.5, framework 5.66, app release 19.12.1. Manjaro's ARM KDE packages really are fully up to date.
Yeah, so not all packages are actually available, so it quits. And me as well, I know not enough of Manjaro to fix the package issues here.

So, shutdown. Remove power. Add power, boot? Nope. Just the red light on, blue light on, blue light off, just the red light, nothing.
Trying again, remove power, add power. And it boots.

Trying another microSD card, does nothing. Strange.
Trying the previous microSD card again, just a blue light. Trying again, nothing still.

Yeah, so... the minimal image, it works, sorta. But is not at all stable or reliable, requiring multiple boots to get going, if it does get going.

For casual readers: Manjaro 19.08 works very well on the Odroid N2. Updates to the latest and greatest software, but stays on the old but proven reliable kernel.
Get that here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm ... ased/99031

Sav
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Unread post by Sav » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 pm

I think that manjaro users are more focused on Rockchip RK3399 SOC and raspberry.
Sometimes I take a look at the manjaro's arm forum https://forum.manjaro.org/c/manjaro-arm, and can't find usefull informations about the N2

mxmilkb

Unread post by mxmilkb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:15 am

odroidn2user wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm
Switched it back to eMMC... and it starts! It uses kernel 5.4.11.
one step forward! and, heh, two steps back in terms of pin-pointing what in specific is the problem (that is; if there is only one problem in play)

as in; there are now multiple differing reports on what happens on trying to boot that image.
So, after the OEM scripts does it thing, it reboots. Blue light comes on, nothing. Pull out the power cord again (the odroid could ***really**** use a power and reset button!), plug it back in, and... It boots to a prompt.
even more confusing, as, if it doesn't work, then works with no change, that is an intermittent problem which is yet another variable. (unless; you are sure you gave it time to boot first time?)
I log in, and it appears to be Jan 12th 2020. I never understood that internal clock of the odroid n2. I've got the that clock battery thingy attached, that N2 clock seems broken. But... well, nevermind.)
The image was created on that date, so the time it has hasn't had a change to update. Once that install updates its time from the internet, it will be correct after power cycles given you have the clock battery. (I have little experience of a minimal Manjaro install - I'm not sure if it has NTP installed and setup. I guess it would, though a minimal Arch install doesn't have man installed by default)
Pacman is there (no updates), memory is all there, seems to be OK.
I very highly doubt, on the first pacman system update of a Manjaro install from a days old image, that there are no package updates.

sudo pacman -Syu

for a full system upgrade.

I would highly recommend uncommenting "#Color" in /etc/pacman.conf, creating a new line below that and adding "ILoveCandy", which is an easter egg, and doing "sudo pacman -S yay", then using yay as your package manager.
Trying to install KDE .. I get a lot of packages not found while it is downloading the software. The selected ftp server (ftp-osl.osuosl.org) seems to be broken or behind or something, fails over to other servers a lot.
This is because the local package list has not been updated, so when you pacman -S install a package, it gets the info from the local list, then tries to download with that info, and because it is out of date because there are newer versions of those packages (this is part of as Arch/Manjaro rolling release experience).

the -y flag updates the package list. not doing a system update for a too long between installing software and you will end up with a system in an inconsistent state, i.e., when libraries change their API/ABI.
So, shutdown. Remove power. Add power, boot? Nope. Just the red light on, blue light on, blue light off, just the red light, nothing. Trying again, remove power, add power. And it boots.
this is that intermittent problem again. hmm :/

maybe we are all testing with bad microsd? *hehesigh* (idk..)

regarding a power switch, i got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TB31YXC which fit the N2
These users thanked the author mxmilkb for the post:
odroidn2user (Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm)

odroidn2user

Unread post by odroidn2user » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm

mxmilkb wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:15 am
Pacman is there (no updates), memory is all there, seems to be OK.
I very highly doubt, on the first pacman system update of a Manjaro install from a days old image, that there are no package updates.
sudo pacman -Syu
for a full system upgrade.
Yeah, I did figure that one out, and I think I remember doing just that.
Don't forget, though, the image was minimal, and it appears that for the minimal packages there wasn't an update.
mxmilkb wrote:
Trying to install KDE .. I get a lot of packages not found while it is downloading the software. The selected ftp server (ftp-osl.osuosl.org) seems to be broken or behind or something, fails over to other servers a lot.
This is because the local package list has not been updated, so when you pacman -S install a package, it gets the info from the local list, then tries to download with that info, and because it is out of date because there are newer versions of those packages (this is part of as Arch/Manjaro rolling release experience).
the -y flag updates the package list. not doing a system update for a too long between installing software and you will end up with a system in an inconsistent state, i.e., when libraries change their API/ABI.
That must be it, I distinctly remember running the update command first, but I guess not.
And well... it is a bit of a non-issue, seeing as I can't get it to boot anymore. (And that's not due to a faulty package update, that aborted nicely and correctly before doing any damage!)
mxmilkb wrote:
regarding a power switch, i got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TB31YXC which fit the N2
Ha! Indeed. Well, microsd's aren't all that great for running OSes, that's for sure. But I don't think that's the case here.
And: it is not so much "intermittent" anymore, the flashed SD card just doesn't boot up anymore.
So, it's a full no now.

Also, thanks for the power switch tip!! That's a great idea right there, and probably a must buy for me.

istanbulls
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Unread post by istanbulls » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 pm

odroidn2user wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm

mxmilkb wrote:
Ha! Indeed. Well, microsd's aren't all that great for running OSes, that's for sure. But I don't think that's the case here.
And: it is not so much "intermittent" anymore, the flashed SD card just doesn't boot up anymore.
So, it's a full no now.

Also, thanks for the power switch tip!! That's a great idea right there, and probably a must buy for me.
This is a beautiful apparatus.
I never thought that there was such an apparatus.
I produced such a solution months ago.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-21 at 15.05.50.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-21 at 15.05.50.jpeg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 131 times

mxmilkb

Unread post by mxmilkb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:34 am

istanbulls wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 pm
I never thought that there was such an apparatus.
Thinking about it now, Hardkernel might be wise to sell those. (Probably really wise to, as not having a power button is, in general, fairly user unfriendly.) Maybe there is a push button switch rather than a rocker switch variation, given that's what people would be used to vis-a-vis power for a computer (like this).
I produced such a solution months ago.
That's well cyberpunk like :)

Regarding Manjaro on the N2 - my personal planned course of action is to do some other things for a couple of weeks, come back and build an image from scratch, get that confirmed working by someone else / sort medium-term hosting for a large image file, and hopfully convince the Manjaro folk that the replacement boot.ini actually works.
These users thanked the author mxmilkb for the post:
istanbulls (Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:33 am)

Return to “Other OS”