Need alternate shipping option for central-eastern Canada

sha256
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need alternate shipping option for central-eastern Canada

Unread post by sha256 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:45 am

OK guys I usually bite my lip because I've been burned way worse than this, but this probably hurts your bottom line.

So first I needed to order just a single card (https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/32gb-em ... -n2-linux/), but the shipping is 16 or 20$, so I figure, ok nevermind guess there's no letter format, I'll get it with the odroid later.

I live in central-eastern Canada and bought a single N2 with card. Shipping charge was roughly the same (good call) 20$ USD ~ 27$ CAD, DHL duties were 35$ CAD, so that's a good 60$ CAD for small box, and the DHL delivery was straight up comic genius.

That's not a surprise at all. That's regular in Canada if you use DHL, UPS, or Fedex, I got it all the time. The problem is you only offer this one option.

If you want to market to Canada, Canada Post (whatever you have that links up with them... I forgot) works out the best, because every other carrier extorts us for duties (the only one I don't hate is Fedex and they extort me anyway, it's like stockholm syndrome) while Canada Post's is capped and often gives me no duties at all, though I'd anticipate it on electronics. Canada Post and Purolator are the only carriers we have who aren't outright thieves (I might be missing a name).

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Need alternate shipping option for central-eastern Canada

Unread post by odroid » Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 am

We tried some low cost public post services a few years ago but the shipping was extremely slow(up to three months) and some customers couldn't receive their boards.
So we had to gave up and we are using DHL/Fedex these days.

I think North-America people consider buying ODROID items from our US distributors.
https://www.hardkernel.com/distributors/

sha256

Unread post by sha256 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 am

I will definitely order from there instead - if that's the only way to get around this. For the record, I'm not looking for a "low-cost" shipping option here from your perspective (except maybe for people buying only cards - how many orders like that do you get? Not sure I trust other sources of eMmc cards for this purpose) - just an alternative shipping option. Canada Post/USPS always charges as much or even a few dollars upfront more than the cheapeest UPS/DHL/Fedex - that's not the issue - it's the way they handle for duties and even the quality of the service (I know americans complain about USPS but Canada Post does a great job overall). To me it's been night and day, seriously a deal-breaker. Even in principle I don't want to support DHL or UPS anymore, but you probably don't care about that.

P.S. I know what you're talking about the 3 weeks, anything cheap from ebay/amazon from China takes 3-4 weeks to get here with the cheapest mail options (free-2$), and I lost 2 or 3 packages over about 10 years. That option only makes sense for people buying cards alone. Granted I don't know how these options look from your end, I'm just saying from my end, this sucked. Thanks.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Unread post by cdu13a » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 am

@sha256 I'm in Canada as well, and I don't think there is perfect option for shipping here. I find my preferences are rather dynamic and based on which companies local driver I prefer for a given area, and of course speed of delivery. I've had equal amount of random problems with all of them over the years. The handling of duties/taxes in Canada is terrible(you should talk to your local MP about that.), doesn't matter the shipping company(Including Canada Post), I've had problems with all of them.

I don't know about the maritime provinces but in Ontario and Quebec if you are not in one of the bigger cities DHL shipped packages will show up the same way as Purlator or Canada Post shipped packages. DHL gave up trying to deliver outside of a few major cities and just transfers the package to either Purlator or Canada Post depending on area and type of shipping required.

sha256

Unread post by sha256 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:04 am

What were the duties issue you had with Canada Post? It is capped unlike the others. On UPS/DHL/Fedex I get medium to large duties on nearly every U.S. package, whereas CP I had limited small to medium duties and on only maybe 1 out of 4 relevant U.S. packages (I discount the items excluded from duties by policy or practicality, with which it's more like 1 out of 12) over 10 years of several monthly packages across 4 places in one city (more like 1.5 city). The only problems I had with CP (almost getting a 1500$ item rejected) were related to bad policies of the incompetent province. But in general I've found CP as an organization more competent and fair. I've had some asshole employees at CP locations, but they were few and far between. Never had a bad delivery guy with them, and that's 20 years 2 provinces. I believe you, but I trust my own experience enough/more to make a good choice.

DHL last I checked has several programs, I've had both happen to me (at the same location). Many places in the U.S. use that "global" (whatever) option that links up with CP. UPS has such program. But I don't recall this happening to me (ontario) with any packages from Asia or Canada.

cdu13a

Unread post by cdu13a » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:15 pm

My problems specific to duty/taxes with Canada Post have been involving payment, I have had a couple occasions where the driver would not accept payment of the exact amount owed in cash for the package at the door. Paying in advance of delivery with Canada Post is also a joke compared to UPS/Fedex, I have had a few times where the package was paid in advance but the driver left one of the come and pick your package up you owe us money notes on the door instead of leaving the now paid for package. While this all gets worked out when I go to pick up the package the next business day, it is a massive frustration having to deal with going across town to pick up a package that should have just been delivered without issue. Especially when it happens on a Friday and you can't do anything about it until Monday. Now to be fair to Canada Post some of those problems are directly related to sub contracted drivers, and how their delivery system works.

I really don't get anything from the US so no experience to compare with on stuff from the there. Most of the packages I get come from Asia or Europe.

My experience with stuff shipped from South Korea is that it doesn't matter the shipping company used you will most likely get charged the taxes but not any duties plus a fee for collecting the tax every single time on goods from a company in South Korea, unless the tax was paid by the sender or you have already dealt with CBSA yourself. This has been my experience since the Canada–Korea Free Trade Agreement came into effect. It was more random before that.

They don't tell you nor do they make it easy to find but both Fedex and UPS will waive most if not all of their tax collection fees if you have an account with them, they both have a free account option as well if you can figure out their websites. This doesn't help with still having to pay the taxes, but cutting down on fees paid to the shipping company is still good.

DHL is hard to figure out. My last DHL package from Hardkernel showed up on a purolator truck, later the same day I had a package from a company in Shenzhen shipped with DHL show up with a Canada Post driver.

sha256

Unread post by sha256 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 pm

Oh yeah, I'll admit a few times, I had CP drivers leave a card when I was suspiciously there that day** (but got ringer problems, so I can't tell with precision) - and because I'm always there - at the shipping location - I can definitely say that problem happens - but really lazy UPS/DHL/Purolator (not so much Fedex) drivers also did this. But even when that happened more regularly (keep reading), there are so many post offices in the city, I have one half a street down. UPS is the only other one with many stores, but it's only good for sending. I use UPS if I hate someone (j/k, not on my worst enemy).

But get this: If you have an apartment, what CP is doing now is installing community mailboxes inside the buildings, and they leave keys in your personal mailbox to pick up the parcels from the community boxes. If you order many things a month, this is a total game-changer. I only have to pick up large packages or if the community boxes are full (it has room for medium-large packages). Try to imagine how efficient that is. All the other carriers are forced to go through the apartment buzzer system and leave cards, which works like crap. CP upped the game and upended them - only Amazon's Intelcom is able to compete. **Furthermore, the drivers really love these community boxes, because it makes their job easier, so they stopped leaving cards unless they really have to. Everyone wins.

So you can see why I love it. But in truth, to me it was already clearly superior even before they installed that. Now it's just night and day. Compare that to Fedex: In my city, the pickup location is impossibly far from where I live, and I have to go there for 50% of their packages. I hate UPS with a passion, and DHL doesn't even seem to have one though surely they do somewhere. DHL is pretty weird, indeed, including the delivery attempts.

I didn't hear about that pact, but I always assumed you can expect any 40$+ electronics from Asia to always have duties. I order mostly non-electronics or small electronics from Asia, and I've never had duties on those, actually. So far this hasn't changed for me.

Interesting experiences nonetheless.

About that fee waving: I contacted UPS many times about such things and they always, always screwed me out of it. It's the worst company. Fedex I believe you "more" that they would do this (didn't bother), and I don't hate Fedex, though I prefer CP by an ocean. Fedex doesn't exploit/treat customers (oh yeah, and their drivers!) as badly in my experience, usually pretty well.

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:35 pm

I think Amazon distribution (or ebay shipping from china) are the only methods that don't invoke a $100 extortion fee on imports. (if you feel like spending your life on the phone with support then get a fedex account)

cdu13a

Unread post by cdu13a » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 am

Well I've never paid anywhere near that much to Fedex. From my experience, on average it tends to be about around $10 + tax on packages from South Korean companies.

_HC1_dude
ODROIDs: HC1

Unread post by _HC1_dude » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm

I just paid $30USD to get a HC1 and clear lid to Australia. Seems very expensive. $40 odd AUD for a small light package.

Return to “General Topics”