Best way to dual boot on N2? (Android:SD, Linux:eMMC)

stillmatic
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Best way to dual boot on N2? (Android:SD, Linux:eMMC)

Unread post by stillmatic » Thu May 23, 2019 2:04 am

Hi all,

Been looking around and haven't been able to find a solid answer on this.

I am attempting to add android to my N2 by ways of booting from SD card. I currently have CoreElec on my eMMC.

I see android image releases on Odroid's Wiki, but they only seem to be self-installing images. Don't these either write to your SPI or eMMC?

Ideally, I am looking for a self contained Android image for my sd card that I can hopefully boot via switch on the N2. So far I have attempted installing the self-install image and then accidentally booting from SPI instead of SD...of course nothing happened, the N2 just booted normally from eMMC.

Also to confirm, the N2 switch format from left to right is as so:
SPI-SD-eMMC?

Thanks much in advance all!

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Best way to dual boot on N2? (Android:SD, Linux:eMMC)

Unread post by tobetter » Thu May 23, 2019 2:31 am

stillmatic wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:04 am
Hi all,

Been looking around and haven't been able to find a solid answer on this.

I am attempting to add android to my N2 by ways of booting from SD card. I currently have CoreElec on my eMMC.

I see android image releases on Odroid's Wiki, but they only seem to be self-installing images. Don't these either write to your SPI or eMMC?
Currently, we offer only self-installing image for the fresh installation and update image. This image can run on SD card and eMMC, not SPI since SPI memory is only 8MB. The reason why we offer self-installing is that we offer different size of memory cards, 8/16/32/64/128GB. The complete image is likely 4-5GB only for bare metal Android platform which is huge and consists of many partitions with different size. Once you download the image, about 500MB, it can be installed on the ODROID itself and it does not take long.
Ideally, I am looking for a self contained Android image for my sd card that I can hopefully boot via switch on the N2. So far I have attempted installing the self-install image and then accidentally booting from SPI instead of SD...of course nothing happened, the N2 just booted normally from eMMC.
ODROID-N2 has SPI memory and it contains Petitiboot as a boot manager, as of now its feature is very limited due to the kernel features and implementation which is required for ODROID-N2. Unfortunately, its features are not enough to publish for end users yet.
Also to confirm, the N2 switch format from left to right is as so:
SPI-SD-eMMC?

Thanks much in advance all!
Due to fact explained just above, considering some hack which is not beautiful not aimed to introduce Petitboot if the features are not able to be sorted out until mid of June.
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
stillmatic (Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 am)

stillmatic
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by stillmatic » Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks for the quick response Tobetter. Is it possible to succeed booting off of Android if I insert the self-install SD card after removing my Linux eMMC? I'm assuming that way I can make sure it doesn't corrupt my eMMC. Or are you saying there is no chance of me being able to dual boot until petitboot's features are expanded?

Since the N2 has an easy-insert SD slot in their cases, I'm ok with an option for now where I insert the SD card only when I want to boot off of Android.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Thu May 23, 2019 3:05 am

stillmatic wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 am
Thanks for the quick response Tobetter. Is it possible to succeed booting off of Android if I insert the self-install SD card after removing my Linux eMMC? I'm assuming that way I can make sure it doesn't corrupt my eMMC. Or are you saying there is no chance of me being able to dual boot until petitboot's features are expanded?

Since the N2 has an easy-insert SD slot in their cases, I'm ok with an option for now where I insert the SD card only when I want to boot off of Android.
After removing eMMC, only SD with self-install image, you can set up Android on SD. After confirming that Android can boot up from SD, you can attached eMMC back after power off. This way does not defect the eMMC at all. The problem is that since eMMC and SD have U-boot on its own card and eMMC has the higher boot priority. So no chance to start SD without a modification.

Since I am getting inputs to support the same features, I am trying to modify Petitboot time to time, so if I cannot make it by mid of June, I would go some fake way.

Another option is that if a user can have a capability to wire a switch to GPIO pin header, I would be able to provide custom U-boot which can select the boot media between eMMC or SD by a switch. But this way does not help to use an official case.
stillmatic (Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 am)

skeetre
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2

Unread post by skeetre » Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 am

stillmatic wrote:
Is it possible to succeed booting off of Android if I insert the self-install SD card after removing my Linux eMMC? I'm assuming that way I can make sure it doesn't corrupt my eMMC. Or are you saying there is no chance of me being able to dual boot until petitboot's features are expanded?

This is what I'm doing. Pain in the butt... but works. I take the eMMC out when I want to use Android, and put it back in when I want to use Linux. Don't have to remove the microSD card, but it'd be better if it defaulted the other way, booting from sd by default instead of eMMC. Then we could just pop the microSD card out when we want Linux, instead of taking off the case, gently removing the eMMC module, and then not losing it before reinstalling to use Linux again.

How hard would that be to swap the default boot from eMMC to microSD tobetter?
These users thanked the author skeetre for the post (total 2):
stillmatic (Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 am) • zarb (Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:41 pm)
Friends don't let friends use Spectre/Meltdown/Zombieload mitigations.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 am

skeetre wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 am
stillmatic wrote:
Is it possible to succeed booting off of Android if I insert the self-install SD card after removing my Linux eMMC? I'm assuming that way I can make sure it doesn't corrupt my eMMC. Or are you saying there is no chance of me being able to dual boot until petitboot's features are expanded?

This is what I'm doing. Pain in the butt... but works. I take the eMMC out when I want to use Android, and put it back in when I want to use Linux. Don't have to remove the microSD card, but it'd be better if it defaulted the other way, booting from sd by default instead of eMMC. Then we could just pop the microSD card out when we want Linux, instead of taking off the case, gently removing the eMMC module, and then not losing it before reinstalling to use Linux again.

How hard would that be to swap the default boot from eMMC to microSD tobetter?
Well...actually it's not that hard.

If you have a USB-to-Serial debugging board:
1. Remove the SD card from ODROID-N2 and place the boot select switch to MMC.
2. Get into the U-boot command shell.
3. Do command these two commands

Code: Select all

odroidn2# setenv mmc_list "1 0"
odroidn2# saveenv
4. Done, so you can do power cycle or simply do the command reset
If you NOT have a USB-to-Serial debugging board:
1. Back up the boot.ini in the eMMC
2. Make another boot.ini with below

ODROIDN2-UBOOT-CONFIG

setenv mmc_list "1 0"
saveenv
reset
3. Boot with the eMMC which has the changed boot.ini, ODROID-N2 will keep rebooting since it just saves the env values.
4. Turn off the ODROID-N2 and roll back the original boot.ini for the OS installed the eMMC
5. Attach the eMMC to ODROID-N2.
6. Done...
skeetre (Thu May 23, 2019 9:19 am)

skeetre

Unread post by skeetre » Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 am

so 1 0 will default to microSD and 0 1 will default to eMMC?

So you could easily write 2 boot.ini files and a script to switch between them, like a shortcut to the script on the desktop that says "reboot to sd" on the eMMC and "reboot to eMMC" on the sd?

That's not bad. It would still be nice to try to boot from sd if it's installed, and if not fall back to the eMMC, but hey, this is a start.

Thanks!

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am

skeetre wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 am
so 1 0 will default to microSD and 0 1 will default to eMMC?

So you could easily write 2 boot.ini files and a script to switch between them, like a shortcut to the script on the desktop that says "reboot to sd" on the eMMC and "reboot to eMMC" on the sd?

That's not bad. It would still be nice to try to boot from sd if it's installed, and if not fall back to the eMMC, but hey, this is a start.

Thanks!
Exactly, 1 is the device number of SD while 0 is eMMC.
The 5 lines script in my previous post is to update the value of mmc_list in the U-boot, once it happens the boot order is set from SD to eMMC.

skeetre

Unread post by skeetre » Fri May 24, 2019 10:34 pm

tobetter wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 am

ODROIDN2-UBOOT-CONFIG

setenv mmc_list "1 0"
saveenv
reset
3. Boot with the eMMC which has the changed boot.ini, ODROID-N2 will keep rebooting since it just saves the env values.
4. Turn off the ODROID-N2 and roll back the original boot.ini for the OS installed the eMMC
6. Done...
Tried this... didn't seem to do anything. I set the boot.ini on the eMMC, rebooted into the boot loop. Waited a bit. Shutdown, restored my boot.ini and put microSD card in, still boots off the eMMC instead of microSD card first.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 pm

skeetre wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:34 pm
tobetter wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 am

ODROIDN2-UBOOT-CONFIG

setenv mmc_list "1 0"
saveenv
reset
6. Done...
Tried this... didn't seem to do anything. I set the boot.ini on the eMMC, rebooted into the boot loop. Waited a bit. Shutdown, restored my boot.ini and put microSD card in, still boots off the eMMC instead of microSD card first.
Sorry, my explain was not enough...
If you board keeps rebooting with the boot.ini, then take it back and recover the previous boot.ini. The boot.ini above is just to reset the value of mmc_list when you do not have USB-debugging board.

skeetre

Unread post by skeetre » Sat May 25, 2019 2:25 am

I understood... the above just changes the mmc_list. But it should stay changed right, until I revert it? Because I don't see the mmc_list in either boot.ini on Android or Ubuntu. So I created a new boot.ini with only the settings above to switch the mmc_list. Then put my old boot.ini back and inserted the microSD card and thought it would default to the microSD card for boot. Then if I removed the microSD card, it would boot off the mmc. But it continued to boot from mmc first regardless.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sat May 25, 2019 2:28 am

skeetre wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:25 am
I understood... the above just changes the mmc_list. But it should stay changed right, until I revert it? Because I don't see the mmc_list in either boot.ini on Android or Ubuntu. So I created a new boot.ini with only the settings above to switch the mmc_list. Then put my old boot.ini back and inserted the microSD card and thought it would default to the microSD card for boot. Then if I removed the microSD card, it would boot off the mmc. But it continued to boot from mmc first regardless.
Did you put the boot.ini to eMMC or Micro SD?
It should be eMMC.

skeetre

Unread post by skeetre » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 am

Yes, on the eMMC. I had the sd card removed.

AnjunaBeats
languages_spoken: english, Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by AnjunaBeats » Fri May 31, 2019 4:34 am

Boot.ini from(petitbot) or S.O.?

AnjunaBeats
languages_spoken: english, Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2

Unread post by AnjunaBeats » Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am

i have bota in emmc and corelect in SD... but i wanna run always from SD.. where is that boot.ini? xD

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 am

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am
i have bota in emmc and corelect in SD... but i wanna run always from SD.. where is that boot.ini? xD
The "boot.ini" is in the eMMC and let's try to boot from SD.
Open the boot.ini in your PC or even N2 is fine if you can edit and save it. Then add these two lines to in at the very first in the file around line 2 to 3 and boot with eMMC on N2.

setenv mmc_list "1 0"
saveenv
After doing this, please do reboot again and see if SD card start first.

dapimp011
ODROIDs: N2
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by dapimp011 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Hello guys, total n00b here.
I bought n2 with emmc linux, and have installed android on micro sd. Used just micro SD for a time, with android on, without any issues. Now when I connected emmc, i am able to log on just to linux and have no idea how to go back to Android unless I remove emmc.
My question is ... is it possible to make some boot script or I dunno what, to allow me to chose in which system I want to log in? Sorry if I mess this thread with this question

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 am

dapimp011 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 pm
Hello guys, total n00b here.
I bought n2 with emmc linux, and have installed android on micro sd. Used just micro SD for a time, with android on, without any issues. Now when I connected emmc, i am able to log on just to linux and have no idea how to go back to Android unless I remove emmc.
My question is ... is it possible to make some boot script or I dunno what, to allow me to chose in which system I want to log in? Sorry if I mess this thread with this question
Please refer the link regarding Petitboot which is a boot manager runs on ODROID-N2.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

You will need to update the SPI flash memory with the latest one, can download from the link.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&start=50#p261451

Please follow the link if you have any problem to use Petitboot.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873&start=50

gsgs
ODROIDs: n2

Unread post by gsgs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm

why do we need the eMMc slot ? I use an eMMc-micro-SD adapter and put into the
SD=s;ot whatever I just need.
Some SD-slots with etikettes glued to the case just to hold the non-used cards with names.

Now ... can I do the same with SSDs ? With eMMc-SSD adapters or microSD-SSD adapters ?

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:17 pm

gsgs wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm
why do we need the eMMc slot ? I use an eMMc-micro-SD adapter and put into the
SD=s;ot whatever I just need.
Some SD-slots with etikettes glued to the case just to hold the non-used cards with names.

Now ... can I do the same with SSDs ? With eMMc-SSD adapters or microSD-SSD adapters ?
Why do you use eMMC-to-SD adaptor when eMMC slot is available? Have you seen a product of eMMC-SSD adapter or uSD-to?

gsgs

Unread post by gsgs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:28 pm

the eMMc slot is in the case and dangerous for 180" rotated cards and tedious to insert.
I didn't see SSD adapters yet , do they exist, are they expected to come ?

-----------------edit-------------------
well, I do see micro-SD to msata adapters at ebay, but they have micro-SD - female , not male.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Using emmc through the sd slot reduces throughput

gsgs

Unread post by gsgs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 am

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 pm
Using emmc through the sd slot reduces throughput
I thought so. But I saw a post in the raspberry forum where someone uses the Odroid eMMcs
to build faster pi-images.

And SSDs have become cheap, so an adapter makes sense even with smaller throughput

minoccio

Unread post by minoccio » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 am

Is there a way to boot in coreelec from emmc and, if i put a sd with android, from that? I tried modifying boot.ini in emmc, but ended in bootloop

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:38 am

minoccio wrote:Is there a way to boot in coreelec from emmc and, if i put a sd with android, from that? I tried modifying boot.ini in emmc, but ended in bootloop
Have yout tried to boot by Petitboot?

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski

Unread post by IgaBiva » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 pm

I have CoreELEC on emmc, AndroidTV on sd car and EmuElec on USB. Everything works without any issues and I didn't had to modify anything.

Only thing that I did is to update Petitboot and this was it, everything worked out of the box.

minoccio

Unread post by minoccio » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pm

When I boot with petitboot, my Sony TV doesn't show the screen. The same thing happened with emmc and sd, but I modified boot.ini, changing setenv display_autodetect "true" on "false", and them works now, but I don't know how to do the same on petitboot

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

minoccio wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pm
When I boot with petitboot, my Sony TV doesn't show the screen. The same thing happened with emmc and sd, but I modified boot.ini, changing setenv display_autodetect "true" on "false", and them works now, but I don't know how to do the same on petitboot
What's the max resolution of your Sony TV? So now the value of display_autodetect is false when TV works?

minoccio

Unread post by minoccio » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm

My TV resolution is 1080p60 and, yes, it works (on Android) with display_autodetect on false. This is a little OT, but I even have to disable CEC in Android, because it send N2 in standby every 4-5 seconds. Conversely, CEC works very well in openElec :o

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm

minoccio wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm
My TV resolution is 1080p60 and, yes, it works (on Android) with display_autodetect on false. This is a little OT, but I even have to disable CEC in Android, because it send N2 in standby every 4-5 seconds. Conversely, CEC works very well in openElec :o
It's odd, because Petitboot does not use display_autodetect but sets hdmimode=1080p60hz by default.

minoccio

Unread post by minoccio » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:07 pm

When I boot with petitboot, My TV show a message saying that input signal is unknown. Same message was shown before I modifying display_autodetect on false into the boot.ini of the sd

Sav
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Unread post by Sav » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm

I have a similar issue.
Petitboot works just fine, but then when It boot the SO, I don't have any output on my TV.
I solved, as reported by @minoccio, by disablng the autodetect feature in boot.ini on every OS I use on the N2.
On a pc monitor, with the same settings (1080p@60hz) I have no problems at all. So I think the issue i related to the TV.

CoreElec is the only exception so far. It works "out of the box" on every display I tested.
tobetter wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm
minoccio wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm
It's odd, because Petitboot does not use display_autodetect but sets hdmimode=1080p60hz by default.

Return to “General Topics”