Independent/Student Developer's Game Dev Console

vbrusca
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Love my ODROID-GO, C1+, C2 and XU4.

Independent/Student Developer's Game Dev Console

Unread post by vbrusca » Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 pm

I'm trying to create a Independent/Student gaming console that runs a proprietary java based game engine with the purpose of teaching kids and those who are new to SoCs, Linux, Coding, OS images, game dev, etc all about writing code and working with devices like the C2.

The screen shot below shows the included/demo game in development running on a Monku Retro 2 / ODROID-C2 device.

The image above is the same for OSX and Windows but for some reason I have alpha transparency issues on the C1+ and the XU4.
Both are running 16.04 LTS MATE with the latest updates, same as the C2 but on the XU4 and C1+ the gpu drivers don't seem to handle the transparency at all.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to upgrade the drivers or other possible fixes? I've also tried 18.04 LTS MATE with the latest updates but it behaves the same.

The other question I have is does anyone know if such a set of tutorials/products would have any value? Or have any thoughts or suggestions about creating a set of learning oriented media as described above? Thanks in advance.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Re: Independent/Student Developer's Game Dev Console

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 pm

The "drivers" are fine it's more likely an issue with your application, especially on the XU4 where the drivers work very well compared to other boards such as the C1/C2.
Your JAVA code probably uses OpenGL which is not supported by ODROIDs but only OpenGL ES.

Aside from that, the C1 has a known bug with the alpha channel and does not work well in 32bit mode, but if you reduce color depth to 24bit or 16bit (in boot.ini) it might work better for you.
Once again, this should not be an issue with the XU4 as we have lots of applications that run transparent just fine.

Java (although easy for beginners) is not a very good programming language in my opinion.
And issues like this are very hard to debug cause of this. You rely on work done by others through included libraries, which you probably don't even understand and only through correct configuration (which might not even documents) you might get a working result.

Regarding your second question... I actually was about to stop reading when you started with "proprietary java based engine".
There's so many things wrong with this.
You encapsulate the user in a software that is unfamiliar to them and very hard to debug on it's own and due to the encapsulation they can't even check what may cause certain problems.

It may be fun for "script kiddies" to work with a set of easy click and drag tools with nearly none programming skills, but in my opinion this has nothing to do with learning "programming".
But that's my personal opinion and might not be what others think about this.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
vbrusca (Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Hmmm, thing is it works fine as is on the C2, but yes I do have optimization setup for the graphics via the Java APIs so maybe an adjustment there would do the trick.
My C1+ and XU4 are all configured rather closely with regard to OS version and MATE but there are differences I gather.

The strange thing about the transparency is that, as you say it works fine on XU4, C1+ (fixed the alpha bug as you mentioned), and C2 currently with retroarch and game emulation etc. But only the C2, Windows, OSX run this little Java app just fine, which I find a bit strange but I'll mess with it.

I do get what you're saying about Java - i.e. my current situation.

It is low level though or at least my intention was to demonstrate the use of the API and the project would be source code based as much as possible. It is proprietary only in that I wrote it all myself from the ground up. One of the reasons I'm going down this path is that I want users to be able to develop on the console itself as well as play and share games.

Thanks for the response, certainly has given me a bit to think about.

vbrusca

Unread post by vbrusca » Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 am

I double checked all the Java versions and I'm gonna agree with meveric, this seems to very much be a Java issue, probably more to do with the OpenJava version I'm using on Ubuntu. I would try and trace it further but I'm gonna stop here and call it.

Darn, I was hoping to revitalize some older game dev code I had lying around. Back to the drawing board.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Sat May 18, 2019 3:01 am

If you want I can check the code on my XU3/XU4 I have a couple different versions with Kernel 3.10 and Kernel 4.14 and can try different scenarios and try to debug even with OpenGL acceleration (to a certain degree).

I wouldn't want to invest into the C1 due to the alpha bug, which adds more layers of possible issues.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “Projects”