Bare Metal Programming

avantyr
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Been thanked: 0

Bare Metal Programming

Unread post by avantyr » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 am

Hello,
Can you tell me what resources and IDEs/methods are supported for bare metal programming of the N2's S922X micro?
Can it be programmed directly through a port on the board or are you limiting these boards capabilities to only be Linux boards?

If so, I don't see the point of releasing the uProcessor datasheets when you don't give people the resources to use them...

Should I look for a different board that is more electronic-engineer friendly or are these resources available somewhere?

Thanks

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)

Re: Bare Metal Programming

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 16, 2019 4:08 am

The N2 is not a micro processor, it's like a "Real PC" just a different architecture, so it's running on an arm64 processor instead of a amd64 processor.
Aside from that there is not much of a difference to a regular PC.
If you have C++ code you just compile it on the system and it runs, if you have C# code you run it with Mono, you can run java code and so on..

Youd don't programm for the "processor" you programm for the OS that is running on your system.

Since there is no Windows Install CD for arm64 and no Windows drivers for arm64 you're limited to different variants of Linux, not cause the vendor "limits you to use linux" but cause there is no drivers or anything available from other operating systems.

Once again, this is not a micro controller such as an arduino board.. this is a PC!
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

elatllat
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Re: Bare Metal Programming

Unread post by elatllat » Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 am

Just to clarify that, one can do Bare Metal Programming on a PC, there is just no RoI to reinvent the OS. The middle ground is https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/start
These users thanked the author elatllat for the post:
avantyr (Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 am)

Return to “General Topics”