tolonuga
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-HC1 x5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

copyright and license on signed boot files

Unread post by tolonuga » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 am

Hi,

who is the copyright holder and what is the exact licese on the signed boot files, for example the files in here:
https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/tr ... _1mb_uboot

I would love if Debian could contain everything that is necessary to run on my odroid-hc1.

But they can't package unless it is clear who owns the code/binaries, what is the license, and of course the license must allow 3rd party to distribute the binaries etc.

Would it be possible to get these things clarified, maybe by updating above git repository with such information?

Thanks and regards, Andreas

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: copyright and license on signed boot files

Unread post by odroid » Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 am

Samsung allowed us to use their own signing utility and distribute the signed binaries only for ODROID boards several years ago.
Since everybody has used the Exynos-5422 binaries freely over five years, we didn't think about explicitly clear license terms for the boot blobs.

tolonuga

Unread post by tolonuga » Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 am

here is a good and clear example: intel published their microcode binaries on github along with a clear license:
https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Pr ... er/license

I don't have the insight, if the binaries for odroid-hc1 are from and by samsung, from you and signed by samsung, or even based on u-boot and signed by them.
But I got the impression that debian is very strict on the topic of copyright and license and they won't add anything to Debian unless the situation is clear.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

tolonuga wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 am
here is a good and clear example: intel published their microcode binaries on github along with a clear license:
https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Pr ... er/license

I don't have the insight, if the binaries for odroid-hc1 are from and by samsung, from you and signed by samsung, or even based on u-boot and signed by them.
But I got the impression that debian is very strict on the topic of copyright and license and they won't add anything to Debian unless the situation is clear.
Thank you for the sharing, will consider how to resolve the license issue. Apart from that, I'm wondering what makes you to make Debian package for the bootloader. What's different to use Debian image for ODROID which is built by meveric or Armbian?

tolonuga

Unread post by tolonuga » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 am

Many people use debian, and it is most convenient to have the same trusted, high quality distribution on all machines.
For me debian testing / buster / the next release works fine on the odroid-hc1, the only missing bit is: I have to download those firmware blobs from github to install them.

Using debian as a starting point, forking it and improving things is great - many distributions start that way, like ubuntu and armbian and others. Not sure why it doesn't work out for many of these improvements to get back into debian. It would be so much easier, if there were not that many different forks, each with their own up- and downsides.

Return to “Issues”