Some Questions about The N2

bigbrovar
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Some Questions about The N2

Unread post by bigbrovar » Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi guys, I am about to buy the Odroid N2 but I have some questions before I finally make the purchase. I would really appreciate some enlightenment. This is suppose to be my first SBC for media use. I own a RPi which I use in headless mode for energy monitoring. The N2 is part of an upgrade I am making to my HTPC. It would be used mainly to consume media stored on a local NAS drive. I don't plan to do any online streaming (at least not of videos) due to the expensive cost of internet in my country. sorry for the long intro this are my questions:

Hardware video support: I read somewhere that the N2 is yet to get drivers to allow it do VPU. Is this (still) true and if it does have VPU support, what are the caveat i.e will it support it on Coreelect ( the platform I intend to use) and what are the codecs supported.

I have some amazon gift cards and even though it is cheaper for me to make all my purchases on hardkernel, I decided to by the emmc on amazon using my gift card. I intend to buy the card (I doubt if I am allowed to post links) "32GB ODROID C2 eMMC 5.0 Module with Android OS" on amazon. It has a red PCB and a green square. It has emmc vo.4 written on it. I just want to know if such an emmc would work with the N2.

I am getting this device because it is just released and quite future proof. And I know this might not be the most unbiased place to ask this question, but is there a bright future for the N2. The hardware (CPU,GPU) are new and support is just coming.. but is there hope that all the issues with drivers would be sorted.. I read somewhere the GPU drivers are android centric and as such unlikely to support X11. How true is this?

although I intend to use Coreelect as the base OS for the N2, is it the best or is the device best suited for android (TV)

Lastly isn the N2 the right device to get for KODI and maybe some light games. I don't expect it to be perfect from get go and I am definitely not afraid to get my hands dirty (I am a Linux system administrator and used Linux exclusively on my laptop and all my pc since 2007) yet I would not want a device that never becomes stable. If there is one thing I love about linux.. you might put in lots of work.. but once all said and done.. system can sit pretty for years and years.

I also considered the odroid XU4 and C2 devices but my heart keeps coming to the N2.
Not all who wander are lost

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: Some Questions about The N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm

N2 with coreelec is reported to work perfectly with kodi 18 and vpu decoding.

The missing drivers affect x11 acceleration, but not framebuffer mode. User @crashoverride is working on a way to use the accelerated framebuffer under X11 and knowing his track record he's likely to succeed.

Another long-term problem will be the kernel (4.9). Upstream support is being worked on, but it will be a while till it's similar to 4.9.

So yes, I'd say go with the N2. It covers your current needs and things are likely to improve in the future.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
bigbrovar (Tue May 14, 2019 10:16 pm)

bigbrovar

Unread post by bigbrovar » Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm
N2 with coreelec is reported to work perfectly with kodi 18 and vpu decoding.

The missing drivers affect x11 acceleration, but not framebuffer mode. User @crashoverride is working on a way to use the accelerated framebuffer under X11 and knowing his track record he's likely to succeed.

Another long-term problem will be the kernel (4.9). Upstream support is being worked on, but it will be a while till it's similar to 4.9.

So yes, I'd say go with the N2. It covers your current needs and things are likely to improve in the future.
Thanks for the reply. Clears things alot

bigbrovar

Unread post by bigbrovar » Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 pm

I have some amazon gift cards and even though it is cheaper for me to make all my purchases on hardkernel, I decided to by the emmc on amazon using my gift card. I intend to buy the card (I doubt if I am allowed to post links) "32GB ODROID C2 eMMC 5.0 Module with Android OS" on amazon. It has a red PCB and a green square. It has emmc vo.4 written on it. I just want to know if such an emmc would work with the N2.
Can anyone help me confirm this? Basically does the odroid c2 eMMC 5.0 with red PCB work with the Odroid n2

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 am

Yes, it will work, but you need to flash it with the correct image.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
bigbrovar (Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm)

noonespecial
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by noonespecial » Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 am

I can personally confirm that the C2 emmc works on the N2. If it doesnt boot at first, you will have to overwrite the emmc with Zeros, then format, then flash the OS, then it will boot.
These users thanked the author noonespecial for the post:
bigbrovar (Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 pm)

Return to “General Topics”