USB disconnects randomly

Soleil
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by Soleil » Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 am

Further testing shows that highest impact on failure ratio has connected GE adapter with some traffic on it - most probably has something to do with either interrupts or DMA (if applicable) or something between these lines (more of a wild shot than on basis of anything confirmed).

Tests with GE adapter disconnected went generally fine.
Keeping HDD in port 4, whilst looking at N2 from the back, side of ports/power supply:
1 2
3 4

status HDD GE throughput
ok 4 3 55MBs
ok 4 1 57MBs
ok 4 2 54MBs

I've run tests with luks container open and without and issue happens much quicker if container is open and not only reads or writes are done, i.e. all was good if I was just reading file from the disk (zeroed 7GB file), but the moment I tried to write something after number of successful reads then it crashed. Similar the other way around - just reading would work fine, but a try to write caused crash and USB Genesys to disappear.

Similar with USB GE adapter, just connecting it - didn't cause to much harm quickly, but getting some traffic through this interface and forwarded via onboard GE to internet (this is external interface) caused issue very rapidly.

The USB adapter in question is:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0b95 ASIX Electronics Corp.
  idProduct          0x1790 AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 ASIX Elec. Corp.
  iProduct                2 AX88179
and HDD

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0480:0900 Toshiba America Inc 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0480 Toshiba America Inc
  idProduct          0x0900 
  bcdDevice            3.15
  iManufacturer           1 TOSHIBA
  iProduct                2 External USB 3.0
And how it is connected

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0480:0900 Toshiba America Inc 
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0480 Toshiba America Inc
  idProduct          0x0900 
  bcdDevice            3.15
  iManufacturer           1 TOSHIBA
  iProduct                2 External USB 3.0
Please advise on what else is needed to get this one fixed.

joshua.yang
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by joshua.yang » Mon May 20, 2019 2:22 pm

In my test, it runs flawlessly for about 3 days so far. (SSD-USB to NVMe-USB, copy a lot of files with 10 cp commands)

Because I think this seems will continue to work out, I'll stop the test and start a new test.
Soleil wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 am
Tests with GE adapter disconnected went generally fine.
Keeping HDD in port 4, whilst looking at N2 from the back, side of ports/power supply:
1 2
3 4

status HDD GE throughput
ok 4 3 55MBs
ok 4 1 57MBs
ok 4 2 54MBs
What is the exact location of USB port #4? Is it at ethernet port side or DC power jack side?
I'm going to test with Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter.

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 30667
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by odroid » Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 pm

@joshua.yang,
Please share the chipset information (Controller vendor, part number and VID/PID) in the NVMe-USB enclosure.

joshua.yang
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by joshua.yang » Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 pm

odroid wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 pm
@joshua.yang,
Please share the chipset information (Controller vendor, part number and VID/PID) in the NVMe-USB enclosure.
I use RevuAhn UX970 product for NVMe-USB bridge device and installed Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB into it.

Here is the result of lsusb. It uses JMicron JMS583 chipset. It is capable of UASP but I disabled it using the boot.ini way.

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 152d:0583 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.20
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x152d JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
  idProduct          0x0583
  bcdDevice            2.04
  iManufacturer           1 RevuAhn
  iProduct                2 UX970 device
  iSerial                 3 DD56419883A9A
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          121
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              224mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     98
      iInterface             10 MSC USB Attached SCSI
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst               0
        Command pipe (0x01)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst               0
        MaxStreams             32
        Status pipe (0x02)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
        MaxStreams             32
        Data-in pipe (0x03)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
        MaxStreams             32
        Data-out pipe (0x04)
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           42
  bNumDeviceCaps          3
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x00000f0e
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat          10 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat          32 micro seconds
  ** UNRECOGNIZED:  14 10 0a 00 01 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 30 40 0a 00 b0 40 0a 00
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

gahabana
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-c2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by gahabana » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm

joshua.yang wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 pm
odroid wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:36 pm
@joshua.yang,
Please share the chipset information (Controller vendor, part number and VID/PID) in the NVMe-USB enclosure.
I use RevuAhn UX970 product for NVMe-USB bridge device and installed Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB into it.

Here is the result of lsusb. It uses JMicron JMS583 chipset. It is capable of UASP but I disabled it using the boot.ini way.

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 152d:0583 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.20
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x152d JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
  idProduct          0x0583
  bcdDevice            2.04
  iManufacturer           1 RevuAhn
  iProduct                2 UX970 device
  iSerial                 3 DD56419883A9A
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          121
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              224mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     98
      iInterface             10 MSC USB Attached SCSI
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst               0
        Command pipe (0x01)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst               0
        MaxStreams             32
        Status pipe (0x02)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
        MaxStreams             32
        Data-in pipe (0x03)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
        MaxStreams             32
        Data-out pipe (0x04)
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           42
  bNumDeviceCaps          3
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x00000f0e
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat          10 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat          32 micro seconds
  ** UNRECOGNIZED:  14 10 0a 00 01 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 30 40 0a 00 b0 40 0a 00
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
hi, i have the same USB-NVME adapter (JMS 583 chipset and same ID's) as well as 2nd one with also JMS583 chipset and (same VID different PID) ... and none of them work for more then couple of seconds/minutes.
I thought this was due to network activity (copy from samba share or rsync to/from remote machine) ... but now i get it to reliabily fail just by simple local rsync from local USB-SATA drive to USB-NVME drive.
e.g."

Code: Select all

rsync -av /mnt/satadrive/music/ /mnt/nvmedrive/music/

causes it to fail.

I have the best behavious with ASM chipset (yes in total 3 USB-NMVE cases as i documented eaerlier in the thread) but even that one fails fairly quickly.

Joshua - please try something like above ... have few 10GB+ available ... if it works 1st time (cause there are no reads to be done on destination drive since its empty 1st time) ... just interrupt it half way through and try again. I am pretty sure it will fail.

I am using vanilla ext4 filesystems .

tx

Andrew Sayers
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 5:06 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by Andrew Sayers » Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi all, I recently reported a similar issue in another thread in this forum. The obvious behaviour is the same (USB disappears after too much disk activity), but a lot of the details are different (e.g. I bumped into it while replicating a RAID array). The issue in that thread is easy to replicate - just create a RAID array and wait for under a minute. But it's also less controllable - RAID does its thing automatically, you can't start and stop the test like with rsync.

It's probably best to keep each line of inquiry in its own thread (as they might not be related), but I'm happy to do tests/post major findings in here if people are interested.

Soleil
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by Soleil » Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am

#joshua.yang,

The layout of ports shown below is looking from the side of USB as shown:
Image

top left: 1
bottom right: 4 - the bottom close to onboard Ethernet port.

Thanks for all your help!
Did you manage to get your system into issue state?
joshua.yang wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:22 pm
In my test, it runs flawlessly for about 3 days so far. (SSD-USB to NVMe-USB, copy a lot of files with 10 cp commands)

Because I think this seems will continue to work out, I'll stop the test and start a new test.
Soleil wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:13 am
Tests with GE adapter disconnected went generally fine.
Keeping HDD in port 4, whilst looking at N2 from the back, side of ports/power supply:
1 2
3 4

status HDD GE throughput
ok 4 3 55MBs
ok 4 1 57MBs
ok 4 2 54MBs
What is the exact location of USB port #4? Is it at ethernet port side or DC power jack side?
I'm going to test with Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter.

joshua.yang
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by joshua.yang » Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Now I'm testing with Gigabit Ethernet to USB adapter, which details,

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               3.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         9
  idVendor           0x0b95 ASIX Electronics Corp.
  idProduct          0x1790 AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 ASIX Elec. Corp.
  iProduct                2 AX88179
  iSerial                 3 00000000000001
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           57
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              124mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              4 Network_Interface
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              11
        bMaxBurst               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst               3
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0400  1x 1024 bytes
        bInterval               0
        bMaxBurst              15
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           22
  bNumDeviceCaps          2
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bLength                 7
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x00000002
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat           1 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat         101 micro seconds
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
gahabana wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Code: Select all

rsync -av /mnt/satadrive/music/ /mnt/nvmedrive/music/

causes it to fail.

I have the best behavious with ASM chipset (yes in total 3 USB-NMVE cases as i documented eaerlier in the thread) but even that one fails fairly quickly.

Joshua - please try something like above ... have few 10GB+ available ... if it works 1st time (cause there are no reads to be done on destination drive since its empty 1st time) ... just interrupt it half way through and try again. I am pretty sure it will fail.

I am using vanilla ext4 filesystems .

tx
I will try your method to reproduce the issue.

But now, as I planed before, I'm working on some tests using GE-USB adapter. As soon as it to be done, I will test with rsync -av command as you mentioned.
Soleil wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am
Did you manage to get your system into issue state?
No, I couldn't. ;)

I think I have just found some interesting facts with GE-USB adapter. I will do more tests about that and clean up the upcoming results so that report here again.
These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post:
gahabana (Wed May 22, 2019 1:48 am)

gahabana
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-c2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by gahabana » Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 am

hey Joshua, I don't want to derail discussion - there are few threads where different people have different issues and all of them are related to (even with UAS support switched off) to USB-NVME adapters ... and in my experience i dont need to move stuff via network - its enough from USB-SATA drive to USB-NVME to cause linux on odroid-n2 to block/reset usb-nvme drive and fail.
I hope it is not an issue with HW design and that Odroid team will be able to figure out what to do with kernel so it would work (as it does on all intel PCs) with Odroid-n2. These days USB-NVMEs are as cheap as 2.5" sata drives and with USB-C/3.1 connectivity one could have real nice and decent Home Nas/Media Library server with quite a few TBs ... but not as long as it does not work properly.

Adding USB-Gigabit Ethernet adapter may be relevant to you but it is one more device on USB Hub and on-board Gigabit Ethernet seem to work just fine and has excellent performance as well ... my guess is you need 2 adapters for some reason (firewall, router etc ?) :)

tx!!!

joshua.yang
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2, H2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by joshua.yang » Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm

gahabana wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 am
hey Joshua, I don't want to derail discussion - there are few threads where different people have different issues and all of them are related to (even with UAS support switched off) to USB-NVME adapters ... and in my experience i dont need to move stuff via network - its enough from USB-SATA drive to USB-NVME to cause linux on odroid-n2 to block/reset usb-nvme drive and fail.
I hope it is not an issue with HW design and that Odroid team will be able to figure out what to do with kernel so it would work (as it does on all intel PCs) with Odroid-n2. These days USB-NVMEs are as cheap as 2.5" sata drives and with USB-C/3.1 connectivity one could have real nice and decent Home Nas/Media Library server with quite a few TBs ... but not as long as it does not work properly.

Adding USB-Gigabit Ethernet adapter may be relevant to you but it is one more device on USB Hub and on-board Gigabit Ethernet seem to work just fine and has excellent performance as well ... my guess is you need 2 adapters for some reason (firewall, router etc ?) :)

tx!!!
Finally, we could reproduce the issue with a simple test using 2 USB drives. (FYI, even your method which is rsync-ing a lot of files from a USB drive to the other USB drive couldn't reproduce the issue, on my side :))

Yes, we just realized that NVMe-USB or GE-USB adapter ain't that important in this issue. We will let you know as soon as we get the latest information.
These users thanked the author joshua.yang for the post:
gahabana (Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 am)

gahabana
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid-c2
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: USB disconnects randomly

Unread post by gahabana » Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 am

joshua.yang wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm
gahabana wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 am
hey Joshua, I don't want to derail discussion - there are few threads where different people have different issues and all of them are related to (even with UAS support switched off) to USB-NVME adapters ... and in my experience i dont need to move stuff via network - its enough from USB-SATA drive to USB-NVME to cause linux on odroid-n2 to block/reset usb-nvme drive and fail.
I hope it is not an issue with HW design and that Odroid team will be able to figure out what to do with kernel so it would work (as it does on all intel PCs) with Odroid-n2. These days USB-NVMEs are as cheap as 2.5" sata drives and with USB-C/3.1 connectivity one could have real nice and decent Home Nas/Media Library server with quite a few TBs ... but not as long as it does not work properly.

Adding USB-Gigabit Ethernet adapter may be relevant to you but it is one more device on USB Hub and on-board Gigabit Ethernet seem to work just fine and has excellent performance as well ... my guess is you need 2 adapters for some reason (firewall, router etc ?) :)

tx!!!
Finally, we could reproduce the issue with a simple test using 2 USB drives. (FYI, even your method which is rsync-ing a lot of files from a USB drive to the other USB drive couldn't reproduce the issue, on my side :))

Yes, we just realized that NVMe-USB or GE-USB adapter ain't that important in this issue. We will let you know as soon as we get the latest information.
Tx Joshua !!! Whatever the 'root cause' is - I am glad not only you found the root-cause but more importantly that someone (Odroid-team ?) will look into code and find a way to fix it :) AWESOME :) Cant Wait !!!
:D

Post Reply

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests