RAM Split/Usage Configuration

aquarat
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2x ODROID-N2 4GB | 2x ODROID-X | 4x ODROID-C1 | 1x ODROID-XU | 2x ODROID-U3 | 2x ODROID-XU4 | 10x ODROID-W
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RAM Split/Usage Configuration

Unread post by aquarat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi

I just received two 4GB ODroid N2 boards and so far they seem pretty awesome :D. You have come a long way from the ODROID-X. I still use two ODROID-Xs for FlightRadar and MarineTraffic.

I'm planning on using my N2s for running Docker containers (web servers and databases mostly).

Three questions :

1. I wrote the minimal Ubuntu image (20190329) to a 128GB eMMC device and allowed the machine to boot + resize the rootfs. I noticed, when I tried to remount root, that the UUID of the rootfs differs from the fstab entry (boot.ini is correct). I manually fixed this on my test machine. It's probably not a big problem as the machine booted anyway.

2. Approximately 508MB seems to be reserved for the GPU (cma-reserved) ? Can I reduce this to the minimum ? I'm using this machine in headless mode. Can I disable the HDMI output ?

3. The kernel complains about "trace_printk()" being used/debug kernel. I'm not sure how severe the performance impact of this will be. I should probably recompile the kernel to remove this ?

Thanks

aquarat
ODROIDs: 2x ODROID-N2 4GB | 2x ODROID-X | 4x ODROID-C1 | 1x ODROID-XU | 2x ODROID-U3 | 2x ODROID-XU4 | 10x ODROID-W

Re: RAM Split/Usage Configuration

Unread post by aquarat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm

It looks like deleting the video decoding modules freed up a bit of RAM (/etc/modules).
Last edited by aquarat on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Mali GPU doesn't allocate RAM at all unless in use.
Maybe if you consider a couple MB for the kernel module.. nothing else.

1. Yep, I'll fix that on a newer image, it doesn't have any problems

2. That is most likely allocated to the framebuffer and video decoding stuff, those I'll test and see what can be disabled :)

3. You can safely ignore that, only one thing on drivers/amlogic may be using it.. not the entire kernel. I'll also take a look onto

aquarat

Unread post by aquarat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks for the response :) Its working really well, its very very cool! :)

Return to “Ubuntu”