Unable to boot from SD-Card

dwhite-n2
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-N2

Unable to boot from SD-Card

Unread post by dwhite-n2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I've recently purchased a Odroid-N2. I'm very new to using Linux, and haven't previously had one of these devices. Only used Linux installs on PC's.

I've flashed an SD card within a windows install using Etcher and Rufus (both produced the same result). Attempted to flash multiple different operating systems, being Lubuntu, Ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-mate-odroid-n2-20190325.img.xz and ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-minimal-odroid-n2-20190329.img.xz

With all of the above operating systems failing. When trying to boot from my SD card it doesn't give me the option to boot to any of these operating systems from within Petitboot, and sits on the [mmcblk1p2], "[mmcblk1p2] Processing new Disk Device" as the only log within "Petitboot status log". Rescanning for devices just shows the same logs, and i'm unsure what to do from here.

The only OS which shown up with the option to boot from was Elementry OS 5.0 when installing the ISO with Rufus, but when selecting to install this operating system it said a file was unreadable and wouldn't continue from there.

My preference is to install Ubuntu-18.04 if possible but i've had no luck so far - If someone is able to tell me weather i'm missing a step somewhere, or using an incompatible version of the operating system that'd be great. I've tried using two different SD cards - a 32GB Toshiba and a 16GB Kingston.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Unable to boot from SD-Card

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 pm

dwhite-n2 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 pm
I've recently purchased a Odroid-N2. I'm very new to using Linux, and haven't previously had one of these devices. Only used Linux installs on PC's.

I've flashed an SD card within a windows install using Etcher and Rufus (both produced the same result). Attempted to flash multiple different operating systems, being Lubuntu, Ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-mate-odroid-n2-20190325.img.xz and ubuntu-18.04.2-4.9-minimal-odroid-n2-20190329.img.xz

With all of the above operating systems failing. When trying to boot from my SD card it doesn't give me the option to boot to any of these operating systems from within Petitboot, and sits on the [mmcblk1p2], "[mmcblk1p2] Processing new Disk Device" as the only log within "Petitboot status log". Rescanning for devices just shows the same logs, and i'm unsure what to do from here.

The only OS which shown up with the option to boot from was Elementry OS 5.0 when installing the ISO with Rufus, but when selecting to install this operating system it said a file was unreadable and wouldn't continue from there.

My preference is to install Ubuntu-18.04 if possible but i've had no luck so far - If someone is able to tell me weather i'm missing a step somewhere, or using an incompatible version of the operating system that'd be great. I've tried using two different SD cards - a 32GB Toshiba and a 16GB Kingston.
Can you try to exit to shell from Petitboot and do mount command if /dev/mmcblk1p1 or /dev/mmcblk1p2 are mounted?

dwhite-n2

Unread post by dwhite-n2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes I can confirm the partitions are mounted, showing successfully with the mount command through the shell.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 pm

dwhite-n2 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm
Yes I can confirm the partitions are mounted, showing successfully with the mount command through the shell.
If these partitions mount and if you can find boot.ini, probably in the mount entry of /dev/mmcblk1p1, your Petitboot does not work.

Is the version of your Petitboot 20190408? You can find it out at the top of the screen when Petitboot menu comes.
If not, could please try update with the one?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... ev20190408
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
dwhite-n2 (Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm)

dwhite-n2

Unread post by dwhite-n2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I can find the boot.ini file, and thankyou for your assistance.

I'm currently on Petitboot (dev.20190325).

I will try updating now, thankyou.

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm

dwhite-n2 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm
I can find the boot.ini file, and thankyou for your assistance.

I'm currently on Petitboot (dev.20190325).

I will try updating now, thankyou.
No worries... If you update the Petitboot, it would work. Sorry for the inconvenience.

dwhite-n2

Unread post by dwhite-n2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

You, my friend.. are a living legend.

I stuffed around with this for hours on end, so glad i've come to a quick solution. All works a treat and i'm happy to see how it runs, everything is quick and responsive to use! Much better experience than some low-end machines i've tried installing on.
These users thanked the author dwhite-n2 for the post:
tobetter (Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 pm)

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm

dwhite-n2 wrote:You, my friend.. are a living legend.

I stuffed around with this for hours on end, so glad i've come to a quick solution. All works a treat and i'm happy to see how it runs, everything is quick and responsive to use! Much better experience than some low-end machines i've tried installing on.
Glad to hear your ODROID-N2 works!!
Hope you enjoy the new experience of ODROID.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

EarBiteR
ODROIDs: C2 running libre-elec
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by EarBiteR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 am

I got my N2 and tried to use the current test release of CoreElec(CE) (and ubuntu minimal and Mate) and although I could mount and read the 2g sd card from the SP shell it would not boot from it when set to sd/mmc. I was able to use it to update the SP software (petiteboot) ok. Tried CE on a 64g samsung evo and it worked fine. So apparently there is some boot problem using a 2g sd that worked fine on both C1\C2.

Return to “Issues”